Start by marking “Goodnight Unicorn: A Magical Parody” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Unicorn: A Magical Parody

Goodnight Unicorn: A Magical Parody

The perfect hardcover gift book for anyone head-over-hooves for unicorns, flying horses, or little ponies!

"For all those little lords and ladies who adore unicorns, this book is the bedtime story for them! The illustrations are top-notch and beautifully colored. The prose is perfect. Highly recommended." — The Children's Book Review

As night falls in the enchanted forest,
Published May 10th 2016 by Bailiwick Press

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Unicorn

Start your review of Goodnight Unicorn: A Magical Parody
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
A play on the famous “Good Night Moon”. It’s not as clever as some parodies I’ve seen and not especially funny as such. I’m not sure why it’s labeled as a parody. It’s more like a riff off of Brown’s book.

Either way, it’s got lovely art. It’s sweet and enjoyable and it will make your little one smile when you read it to/with them.
Julia
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully done parody of "Goodnight Moon" but targeted for those who love fantasy and/or unicorns so done with an eye to capturing the essence of magic. The story isn't so much in the words of either the beginning plot or the parodying but in the beautiful pictures that are used to convey the reader into the land of the exotic.

The pictures are truly beautiful with your guide being either the seen phoenix in most cases or the mess of feathers that are left behind although on a few
Melissa
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The moment the mail lady dropped off a package my daughter came running up saying "it's my book!" After opening it she curled up with her unicorn and read it over and over. She even made sure to show it to everyone and tell them her book arrived. She loves it and seeing her smile as she reads and looks at the pictures is her review
Veronica Moss
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Obviously this book is amazing and features several wondrous unicorns. A must read!
Amanda
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly filled with whimsey - a must read for every unicorn lover.
Esperanza
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most delightful book I have read in a long time. I saw it come through the library, and had to have it. I bought it the next day. The book is an homage to "Goodnight Moon", and even has a nod to the character Max from "Where the Wild Things Are." There's no way to describe the magic within this book. You must read it to discover the magic within.
Tonja Drecker
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a story that will help ease a young unicorn fan into sleep, the gentle rhyme and lovely text in this book might do exactly that.

Unicorns are the star of this book, in all sizes, colors and varieties. With the help of a phoenix, the reader is lead to their magical world where other creatures such as trolls and dragons live. The text is simple and in rhyme. Toward the end of the story, a soft repetition takes over making it easy to listen to (as a read aloud).

The
David Blaylock
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review:

I have been a fan of Goodnight Moon and its many variants since my daughter was very young, so I had to check this one out.

My 16 year old daughter read it out loud for the family to enjoy together.

I subtracted 1 star in my rating because they removed the word Bronies and replaced it with the word Colts.
Lisa
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love unicorns!!!! This story was sweet and an good night night book for children. I want that unicorn hoodie that the little girl had.
Kestrel
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best re-imagining of Goodnight Moon. If I had children, I would probably insist that we read this each night for a long time. :)
KathKin
I have loved Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon for years. Calling Goodnight Unicorn a parody of her book is a bit misleading, because it is not meant to be funny; when I think of a parody, I think of Weird Al! Goodnight Unicorn imitates the meter of Wise's poem which is the text of her book, and echoes the book in many of the illustrations, but it is a beautiful bedtime book in its own right. Some of the unicorns are reminiscent of My Little Ponies, Rainbow Bright and even Disney, so this ...more
Angie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My Review: When I saw this parody, I knew I had to get it. I love Goodnight Moon and read it often with Munchkin, but I have always loved unicorns. I love the way this one integrates the different versions of unicorns from historical art to modern movies and stories. It is a fun little book that while it doesn't quite reach the level of the original is still a fun addition to the shelves, especially for unicorn lovers!
Anna
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek-books
I loved this book. It flows so beautifully, the words are chosen well, and the illustrations are so colorful and wonderful. Perfect for any unicorn fan! I also enjoyed the magical facts at the end and the questionnaire. Great for engaging and making the child think about what they just read!
Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, 2019, fiction
I love it. What a fun twist on a classic.
Bethany
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Cute little unicorns. It's an adorable bedtime story.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Circle Story Time
Theme: Mythical & Magical Creatures
Sara
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 3 yo daughter LOVES this book
Lucy Takeda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had Good Night Moon memorized when my son was little. I greatly enjoyed this adaptation.
Tina Grove
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun nod to Goodnight Moon, my little pony, rainbow brite, Lisa Frank, and other rainbowy and unicorny things from my childhood.
Susan
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Very cute - perfect for the unicorn fans at school
Kelly
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book calls itself a parody, but I don't consider it that. It's very sweet!
Miss Sarah
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A cute book about different unicorns. The book is in two parts and features an introduction to the unicorns and then saying goodnight to them. I particularly enjoyed the ending pages with many explanations of unicorns. Toddler and up without the last two pages.
Renee
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I feel I must preface this review by saying I have worked for this publisher and have a slight biased. Despite that, however, Goodnight Unicorn is, truly, freaking adorable as! (Bit of Kiwi slang for ya there.)

Goodnight Unicorn is the third parody book to be released by Bailiwick Press. The short, rhyming story follows the unicorns and all their magical friends as they prepare for bed in the magical forest. I loved that this book didn't just have the classical unicorn with its white
Nancy Kotkin
A picture book entirely devoted to unicorn lovers. Like Goodnight Moon, the original picture book that this one parodies, there is no story here, and not really all that much text until you get to the unicorn "facts" in the back of the book. But I know there is a market segment of young girls who will just drool over this book.

Brightly colored illustrations are also reminiscent of Goodnight Moon, but with a distinctly Disney-esque fantasy feel to the art. This is the likely result if one of
Celestine Golda
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is full of wonderfully detailed art and whimsical prose which will charm young children and adult unicorn enthusiasts alike. What I noticed most was the sheer variety of Unicorns drawn within these pages- including one inspired by the Medieval European tapestries dating from the late 1400s! So whether you enjoy a new take on the Good Night Moon style or just want to see some great art, I recommend this book.
Ms. Reader
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review...

I'm a big fan of "Goodnight Moon" so of course I was going to enjoy this book. My daughter loved it too, especially since she is a huge fan of Unicorns (My Little Pony, anyone?) and when I asked her how she felt about this book, she replied: "It's a girls book of Goodnight Moon". It's a delightful, sweet "remake" and updated version of "Goodnight Moon".
Aunjuli
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway and I'm so glad I did! It is a fun and whimsical read for children and the young-at-heart. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful, which only adds to the joy of reading it! Overall, a great book full of fun details and magnificent illustrations.
Darcee Kraus
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, my-books
I won this book in the Goodread's giveaway! I read it during story time at my family's childcare and all the kids loved it. Goodnight Moon was one of my favorite books as a child but Goodnight Unicorn would have been my favorite if I had it then. I love this book and will keep it to share with all the little people who come into my life.
Carmen Gordon
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Both the illustrations and the rhyming of the words in this children's bedtime book will ignite their imaginations and cause enchanting dreams as they sleep. This book also has interesting facts about unicorns in the back! Any child who is captivated by unicorns will love this book!
Noreen
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won "Goodnight Unicorn" from Goodreads. It is a wonderful story with gorgeous, magical artwork. My grandchildren loved the book.

• Grumpy Monkey
  • Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • Dragons Love Tacos
  • Listen
  • For the Sake of the Game: Stories Inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon
  • The Abyssal Plain: The R'lyeh Cycle
  • Fire & Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • The Lost Keys of Freemasonry
  • Twelve Nights at Rotter House
  • Bats at the Library
  • The Haunted
  • Restoration: Returning the Torah of God to the Disciples of Jesus
  • The Breathing Method
  • Thelma the Unicorn
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • My Many Colored Days
  • Told After Supper
Karla Oceanak is the author of the Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel Series, which has been honored with a Colorado Book Award, a Mountains & Plains Independent Booksellers Regional Book Award, an IndieNext selection, and other accolades. She has worked as a writer and editor for more than twenty years and has authored more than 100 books, some of which have been translated into Chinese, Korean, and ...more