Start by marking “Afterburn (Next, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afterburn (Next, #1)

Afterburn

(Next #1)

Five years after a devastating solar storm wipes out civilization and spawns a strange race of mutants, Rachel Wheeler and her misfit family must choose whether to hide away or fight to join other survivors.

As their food supply dwindles inside their bunker, radiation from abandoned nuclear plants is altering the world around them. Not only are the mutants building their
Published October 27th 2015 by Haunted Computer Books

Start your review of Afterburn (Next, #1)
Sing
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is very well written with good characters and plot development. My beef with the book is that it just stops part way through a confrontation between two opposing characters. The final paragraph suggests that you may want to read the next book in the series to find out what happens with this confrontation. I dislike this method of entrapment. Is this an intro/preview or is it a book. It was presented to me as a complete book. If it is a book then it is incomplete and needs to be finishe ...more
Paul
May 01, 2016 added it
Getting kinda old, but...

This whole set of series began with a great apocalyptic novel about the near ruination of the planet and the survival of a few people around the world and an even greater proportion of "people" mutated by the Sun's blasts. Such a realistic premise!

However, that novel has spanned multiple series and they seem more and more to be cranked out by formula "writing" that makes Scott Nicholson out to be much less than the writer he really is.

Quite frankly, I'm about over it.
Debbie
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: apocalypse
Meh
Heather
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The mutants are definitely not your run-of-the-mill zombies. Apparently they started out feral and vicious, but swiftly “evolved” and are now hyper-intelligent and advanced. They are relatively sexless, have identical haircuts and weird polymer jumpsuits, and are accompanied by realistic, self-repairing flying bird-drones. Of course, because they’re so unfathomable, and because of their initial violence, humans are determined to kill them. I thought the whole identical haircuts and robot-like be ...more
Philip Garside
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A plausible scenario.
Charles Ray
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Five years after a massive solar storm has destroyed human civilization and spawned a race of mutants, called Zaps, Rachel Wheeler, herself half-mutant, and her mismatched family, barely clinging to existence in an abandoned military bunker, are faced with a fateful choice. Do they continue hiding out, or do they seek other humans in an effort to rebuild some semblance of human society.
The problems they face are tremendous. The Zaps have concentrated in major cities, and seem to have evolved int
J Young
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new take on a mutation nation!

Scott Nicholson has created an post-apocalyptic thriller about a global catastrophe unleashed on the world by a massive solar storm. Radiation and the storms EMP surge have brought technology to a halt and caused widespread mutation across species including humans. Non-mutants struggle for survival against the Zaps and an animal world that is reminiscent of the age of dinosaurs. Chaos and aggression rule – everything seems to have humans on their menu!

There was a
Riccardo Ferrari
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really tried to keep reading it, but when I reached half way through the book I decided I had better things to do. I don't usually leave books unfinished but this time I felt compelled to.

The problem is: there is no point in the story. Absolutely none. I was waiting for the inciting incident to occur but there was nothing.

I got the setting, the post apocalyptic world everybody has to deal with, but that happened 5 years before. Now, what is so different that can keep me entertained? Apparently
Tim
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Another day, another Apocalypse. Most of humanity has "evolved" following a solar storm that has more or less destroyed all technology. Mutant animals roam the land, the last few unaffected humans are scattered far and wide. This book follows 1 group as they come into contact with the new evolution humans.
Overall, not a bad premise but the fact that the story starts several years after the devastation of the solar storm means that events of the turmoil are little more than flash backs and don't
Chris
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Scott Nicholson. Not a fan of this book............ didn't realize it was the first in a series. I don't like reading series. The book moves along very quickly but I just couldn't get excited enough to want to read book 2.
Cheryl Alesia
Awesome read!
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good
Amethyst
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you loved the After series its a must have read, original idea, addictive and action packed!
Love love love this new series, I wasnt sure how it could carry on after the first series After; but it just gets better and better with a refreshing turn in the evolution after 5 years of the Zaps which is brilliant and I certainly was not expecting. They just keep getting scarier and I didnt think that was possible.
As a complete zombie apocalyptic addict I was so gutted when I though After series had
Ziggy Nixon
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Ziggy by: Free Google Play book
2 1/2 stars at best. No real sympathetic character development and a confusing rush into the whole 'are they zombies (still?) or something else?' aspect. And yes, we get it: 'normal' humans will continue to just be a-holes, especially if those same humans are tired clichés and what not. I think all we missed was a really devout Jewish guy but otherwise...

Overall, this is a disappointing 'teaser' if that's what this apparently extremely short book (novella???) is supposed to be. Very confused as
Sarah Crawford
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The basic of the book is that there has been some kind of solar storms that have results which reduced human civilization to primitive levels in many cases. In addition it has caused mutations in animals and humans, both. Monsters now roam the world and the Zapheads, a human mutation, start off as vicious killers. Rachael and a few friends manage to survive in a military bunker.

Rachael is half-Zap herself. They also have a being named Kokona who appears to be a baby but has been mutated into som
Lori
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Five years have passed since the end of the world as we know it. Radiation and solar flare activity have resulted in mutations of both people and animals. A small group has survived in a bunker away from others, but when a supply run goes bad, their lives will be changed again - and maybe not for the better.

I had a difficult time getting in to this story. The farther I read, the more I cared about some of the characters, but I think there was a little too much 'radiation caused mutation' for my
brian coombs
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. A refreshing change from the zombie fest

After reading so many post apocalypse books that all tell the same city based zombie story this book took a refreshing look at the base bones survival aspect of living after the end of the world as we know it. A great read and well written. Several typos and missing words but this is down to the editor not the author. I highly recommend you give this book your full attention and I'm sure you will love it as I have.

Well done.
PJ Lea
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
5 years later.....

Everything else is evolving or mutating yet man is still the same.
It's good that this is a separate series but involves the protagonists from the After series. Chilling, it keeps you guessing and wondering who will survive. I especially like the new monsters that add to the stress.
Mcf1nder_sk
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting new twist to the classic apocalypse tale. The storyline was original, the characters was fairly well crafted and the pave of the story ensured the reader would be engrossed in every page. With this story starting four years after the solar storms that decimated the earth, there were many mentions of previous events the reader is unaware of. Prequel, perhaps?
Dion
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Take all the cliché tropes you know in terms of characters, arcs, and story telling methods, and this is what you get. Very flat, bland and unoriginal imo.
EDIT: Also, detected hints of sexism, racism, heteronormativity, and more sexism.
EDIT 2: Even The Maze Runner series had a more interesting take on solar flares, even though it hardly made sense, and we all know how much I hated those books.
Julie Hillman
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solar apocalypse, mutants and heroes/heroines

Solar flares change humans, those that don't change are killed. Evolving the mutants build a society with a hive mindset. They are looking for something. Our children.
Suzi
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unusual and interesting

This is a new take on the post apocalyptic novel with an entirely new enemy involved. I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about the 'evolved' humans that form the opposition to the remnants of the human race
Paul David Fawcett
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Paul David Fawcett by: bookbub ( I think)
It was ......ok. Not great but not too bad. Seemed to be a little disjointed. I did like the Zap baby! There were a couple of characters that could have been left out. Will I continue with the series? Yes, I think it was good enough to go for the next in the series & see where it goes. ...more
Teresa
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I bought this because I had all the previous books in the series but had a hard time finishing it. I didn’t find the characters “caught” me this time and as for the quick evolution, matching haircuts a polymer suits...no.

Done with this series
Marescha
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Note : I got this book for free

The writer has some interesting ideas and wrote them out rather well. The main reason I could not be into this book heart and soul is because it's yet another series that will keep going on.
Christine Friedrichsmeier
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good

Good for what it is. Post apocalypse survivors battle monsters, other suvivors and military . Enjoyable summer read. Don't expect great literature and you'll be fine.
carol Blacklidge
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is different..

Kept my interest ...Unable to figure it out...very interesting..It's very different from other books I have read on the end of humanity..
Danielle At atz
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series!

Another amazing tale from one of my favorite authors. Very well written and edited. Love the imaginative progression of this series.
Jo Auburne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book offered an interesting take on the post apocalyptic scene, sometimes stretching my belief pretty far. I did enjoy the read. well written, and interesting.
Shari
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not really the greatest post apocalyptic book I've read.

• Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Pilgrimage: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Story
  • Victim Zero
  • Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures (Plague Wars Series Book 12)
  • Empty Bodies (Empty Bodies #1)
  • Glimmer of Hope (Land of Tomorrow #1)
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • Twice Dead (The Zombie Crisis #1)
  • Ash (The Alt Apocalypse #1)
  • Hood (American Rebirth #1)
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • Infinity: A Bridger's Origin (Bridgers, #0)
  • Warrior Mage (Chains of Honor, #1)
  • The Ruins (The Ruins, #1)
  • Solar Storm: Book 1: Season 1: Episodes I - III
  • Unbound (Dawn of Deception #1)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars Book 1)
  • The World Beneath (Joe Tesla, #1)
With more than 800,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books and st

Next (6 books)