Start by marking “Afterburn (Next, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afterburn (Next, #1)

(Next #1)

Five years after a devastating solar storm wipes out civilization and spawns a strange race of mutants, Rachel Wheeler and her misfit family must choose whether to hide away or fight to join other survivors.

As their food supply dwindles inside their bunker, radiation from abandoned nuclear plants is altering the world around them. Not only are the mutants building their o
Published October 27th 2015 by Haunted Computer Books

To ask other readers questions about Afterburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterburn

Debbie
Apr 06, 2017 is currently reading it
goood
Paul
May 01, 2016 added it
Getting kinda old, but...

This whole set of series began with a great apocalyptic novel about the near ruination of the planet and the survival of a few people around the world and an even greater proportion of "people" mutated by the Sun's blasts. Such a realistic premise!

However, that novel has spanned multiple series and they seem more and more to be cranked out by formula "writing" that makes Scott Nicholson out to be much less than the writer he really is.

Quite frankly, I'm about over it.
Gadget Girl
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you loved the After series its a must have read, original idea, addictive and action packed!
Love love love this new series, I wasnt sure how it could carry on after the first series After; but it just gets better and better with a refreshing turn in the evolution after 5 years of the Zaps which is brilliant and I certainly was not expecting. They just keep getting scarier and I didnt think that was possible.
As a complete zombie apocalyptic addict I was so gutted when I though After series had
Heather
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The mutants are definitely not your run-of-the-mill zombies. Apparently they started out feral and vicious, but swiftly “evolved” and are now hyper-intelligent and advanced. They are relatively sexless, have identical haircuts and weird polymer jumpsuits, and are accompanied by realistic, self-repairing flying bird-drones. Of course, because they’re so unfathomable, and because of their initial violence, humans are determined to kill them. I thought the whole identical haircuts and robot-like be ...more
Charles Ray
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Five years after a massive solar storm has destroyed human civilization and spawned a race of mutants, called Zaps, Rachel Wheeler, herself half-mutant, and her mismatched family, barely clinging to existence in an abandoned military bunker, are faced with a fateful choice. Do they continue hiding out, or do they seek other humans in an effort to rebuild some semblance of human society.
The problems they face are tremendous. The Zaps have concentrated in major cities, and seem to have evolved int
Ziggy Nixon
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Ziggy by: Free Google Play book
2 1/2 stars at best. No real sympathetic character development and a confusing rush into the whole 'are they zombies (still?) or something else?' aspect. And yes, we get it: 'normal' humans will continue to just be a-holes, especially if those same humans are tired clichés and what not. I think all we missed was a really devout Jewish guy but otherwise...

Overall, this is a disappointing 'teaser' if that's what this apparently extremely short book (novella???) is supposed to be. Very confused as
Sarah Crawford
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The basic of the book is that there has been some kind of solar storms that have results which reduced human civilization to primitive levels in many cases. In addition it has caused mutations in animals and humans, both. Monsters now roam the world and the Zapheads, a human mutation, start off as vicious killers. Rachael and a few friends manage to survive in a military bunker.

Rachael is half-Zap herself. They also have a being named Kokona who appears to be a baby but has been mutated into som
Tim
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Another day, another Apocalypse. Most of humanity has "evolved" following a solar storm that has more or less destroyed all technology. Mutant animals roam the land, the last few unaffected humans are scattered far and wide. This book follows 1 group as they come into contact with the new evolution humans.
Overall, not a bad premise but the fact that the story starts several years after the devastation of the solar storm means that events of the turmoil are little more than flash backs and don't
brian coombs
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. A refreshing change from the zombie fest

After reading so many post apocalypse books that all tell the same city based zombie story this book took a refreshing look at the base bones survival aspect of living after the end of the world as we know it. A great read and well written. Several typos and missing words but this is down to the editor not the author. I highly recommend you give this book your full attention and I'm sure you will love it as I have.

Well done.
Mcf1nder_sk
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting new twist to the classic apocalypse tale. The storyline was original, the characters was fairly well crafted and the pave of the story ensured the reader would be engrossed in every page. With this story starting four years after the solar storms that decimated the earth, there were many mentions of previous events the reader is unaware of. Prequel, perhaps?
PJ Lea
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
5 years later.....

Everything else is evolving or mutating yet man is still the same.
It's good that this is a separate series but involves the protagonists from the After series. Chilling, it keeps you guessing and wondering who will survive. I especially like the new monsters that add to the stress.
Paul David Fawcett
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Paul David Fawcett by: bookbub ( I think)
It was ......ok. Not great but not too bad. Seemed to be a little disjointed. I did like the Zap baby! There were a couple of characters that could have been left out. Will I continue with the series? Yes, I think it was good enough to go for the next in the series & see where it goes.
Chris
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Scott Nicholson. Not a fan of this book............ didn't realize it was the first in a series. I don't like reading series. The book moves along very quickly but I just couldn't get excited enough to want to read book 2.
Suzi
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unusual and interesting

This is a new take on the post apocalyptic novel with an entirely new enemy involved. I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about the 'evolved' humans that form the opposition to the remnants of the human race
Julie Hillman
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solar apocalypse, mutants and heroes/heroines

Solar flares change humans, those that don't change are killed. Evolving the mutants build a society with a hive mindset. They are looking for something. Our children.
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
good
Jo Auburne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book offered an interesting take on the post apocalyptic scene, sometimes stretching my belief pretty far. I did enjoy the read. well written, and interesting.
Danielle At atz
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series!

Another amazing tale from one of my favorite authors. Very well written and edited. Love the imaginative progression of this series.
carol Blacklidge
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is different..

Kept my interest ...Unable to figure it out...very interesting..It's very different from other books I have read on the end of humanity..
Christine Friedrichsmeier
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good

Good for what it is. Post apocalypse survivors battle monsters, other suvivors and military . Enjoyable summer read. Don't expect great literature and you'll be fine.
Todd Oliver
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy the author decided to expand on this series! The first series "After" was great! This picks up 5 years after the events of the first series. The zaps continue to evolve. They're getting smarter and more dangerous! I'm very happy to see the new series continue with Kevin Clay narrating. He does an excellent job!
Sluserfive
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Test

I love you so much fun and addicting but it is a great day to be a good day to be a lot of fun
Leslie Fisher
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

This is a fast-paced follow-up novel that takes place after Nicholson's "After" series. He always manages to bring something new to the story to keep the reader engaged. I love the characters of Rachel and DeVontay, and I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of the relationship between the two teens. I especially want to see more of Franklin Wheeler. He fascinates me. If you end up choosing to start this book, I would recommend the "After" series first. Though I don't think its ne
Traci A
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yep, still hooked! I can't wait for the "Next" book to come out! I feel like an addict waiting for my dealer...lol! Authors that twist you up with the events that happen, make you care about characters but those characters don't always survive, those authors are worth reading. Life isn't a fairy tale either, and being able to relate to the decisions the protagonists or the every day survivors make is a huge benefit anyone reading these books will easily be able to empathize with...it is part of ...more
Siva M.
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inticing, very good read, looking forward to read the next chapter!
Jason & Jules
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on Post-Apocalyptic World

As a fan of all things apocalyptic, this story gives a very different look at what caused the apocalypse and the perils in the aftermath. I love the author, he is continually bringing fresh ideas and characters that are well defined into play.
Colin
Nov 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Afterburn

I don't really like this book. It just feels like a mishmash of every Apocalypse book out there. And the mutation of things already living usually results in cancer not useful changes
Aviar Savijon
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Afterburn

A most amazing adventure after the Apocalypse occurs as we travel with the characters through this wild and thrilling adventure. I loved it.
Kathy Hassig
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

This was a good book and I am ready for the next one. It kept me interested in the story and the characters right up to the end.
  • Chasing Vegas
  • The Artemis Effect
  • The Last (Zombie Ocean, #1)
  • Point Apocalypse
  • Zocopalypse (Death Fields, #1)
  • Todd
  • Genesis (The Colony, #1)
  • Torch Song (Blackjack, #1)
  • The Wrong Unit
  • Reawakening (Forever Dead, #1)
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • An Etiquette Guide to the End Times (An End Times Novella)
  • Solar Storm: Book 1: Season 1: Episodes I - III
  • RED DRAGON: A Perseid Collapse Novella (The Perseid Collapse Book 0)
  • Enduring the Crisis
  • Dead Bad Things
  • Necropolis Rising
  • The Mutilation Machination
With more than 800,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an

Next (6 books)
  • Earth Zero (Next #2)
  • Radiophobia (Next #3)
  • Directive 17 (Next #4)
  • Crucible (Next #5)
  • Half Life (Next #6)
“fire. A blood-chilling caw cracked the brittle air. Rachel slid her machete from its canvas sheath, but the crow veered wildly and then rejoined the broken formation heading south toward the distant city of mutants.” 1 likes
“What the hell is he talking about? Then he saw them, gathering in formation like tiny jets on a strafing run. He thought at first they were doves, but that made no sense, because doves didn’t congregate in such coordinated patterns and they were too far inland to be seagulls. He couldn’t judge their size or distance, so high and feathery was” 1 likes