Start by marking “The Vishakanya's Choice” as Want to Read:
The Vishakanya's Choice

The Vishakanya's Choice

“Did we have a choice? An honest one. A real Choice.”

Who would you be if you had a choice? What would you do?

Early in her life, Sudha's fate was divined to be a lonely, fruitless future of young widowhood. So, it was considered a blessing when she was brought to the Hastinapur harem to become a vishakanya--a weapon, an assassin, a poison maiden whose very touch is toxic.

S
Published August 25th 2015 by Book Smugglers Publishing

TheBookSmugglers
We published it so we can't star it! But this is another beautiful story, with gorgeous writing and the incredible cover art by M Sereno.
Christine Spoors
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
I loved this short story! I am a huge fan of Chokshi's writing style, and the world-building was brilliant despite it being such a short tale. I really felt like I could imagine the setting in ancient India.

The main character Sudha is a Vishakanya, a poison assassin, and I loved reading about her! I could happily have read a 400 page book about her. I loved that this book introduced me to an aspect of Indian folklore that I had never heard of before!

I really liked the message this short story po
Vignesh Kumar
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this for so long but finally had a chance to finish this short story from my favorite Roshani Chokshi.

Though this is a short story, it's ripe with mythology and her writing is awesome as usual. This is a short story about how we make our own Choices.
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

Roshani Chokshi makes everything glitter and look splendid. I love how she probe the concept, "Choice." This is lush, and beautiful. As you can see this is my first read in a while! This is not exactly a novel, but a short story. Though, it drastically helped in lifting my mood. I'm always here for lyrical writings.
Jen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-freebie
I really need a shelf for LeVar Burton Reads Podcast entries. But I digress.

This one was AMAZING. I loved the world, the MC, her sisters, The Choice, all was lovely and colorful and listening to LeVar Burton read this was off the charts amazing.

5, highly recommended, stars.
Pili
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very lyrical and gorgeously written short story about Fate vs Choice and how even when choices seem to be made for us we can still find a way to find our own choices to make.
Cheyene
A charmingly dark short story involving fantastical creatures, a historic emperor, and instant immersion into a complex world (without a ton of introduction). I would love to see this expanded on, as rocky as the first handful of pages were for me.
Kaleb
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A truly powerful story about a young assassin, her first kill, and the concept of choice as an actual possession. The author's imagery was lovely and the idea of a choice as something you can own is fascinating. I can't wait to see more from her!
Katharina
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2015
Really interesting ideas and beautiful language. Will definitely check out The Star-Touched Queen.
Maittri
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Appreciated the significance of "Choice". And the concept of Vishkanyas has always fascinated me. Not much to the story other than that.
Pooja Banga
Interesting read
Spoilers-Did we have a choice? An honest one. A real Choice.”

Who would you be if you had a choice? What would you do?

Sudha has never had a choice, has never known anything except the cold beauty of the harem's stone wal
Thomas Ray
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well-written. Uncomfortable.
Sha
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

POISON WOMEN DOING ASSASSINATIONS! Man, I'd forgotten about this particular legend.

Hindu Mythology is my favourite mythology, and I appreciated how very atmospheric this story was. That said, it was entirely too short, and the worldbuilding concept (choices) was not explained well enough. I realize that the concept of the vishakanya needs to be explained too, but I wanted the Choices to be explained more.

Still, I like it.
Sheila Goicea
Beautifully thought out

This short story was so beautifully thought out. Making a decision into something tangible, especially in this case, created an intriguing tale of choices, and how valuable they truly are.
Belinda
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting. Wish there was more.
Allison
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great, gorgeously written story about Choices (tangible, ownable things here) and, of course, poisonous assassins. Only beef is that it wasn't longer ^__^
Chiara
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, read-own-ebook
Chokshi may well become one of my favourite authors.
Katie
Definitely didn't get the "Choices" were physical items. That should've been explained sooner.

Otherwise, I liked it, but it is a short story and maybe not worth my 99 cents.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
Beautiful, haunting, hopeful. Really loved it. Want more from the author.
Lina
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a very refreshing and thought-provoking read. I now realize that reading well-written short stories can really help you out of a reading slump, which was something that I never knew before, so that's a useful bit of information to have acquired. I especially liked the whole theme of Choice, and how in this story's world, it can affect your decisions.

The thing that originally drew me to want to read this book was the gorgeous illustration on the front, and so I thank the lovely artist L

Poonkuzhali
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The writing was so MAGICAL. I want more of this world. Roshani is known to captivate your senses and pull you into the book. Even though this is a short story, she did an amazing job. Can we take a moment to appreciate the cover of this book!!! It's one of the most gorgeous covers' I've ever seen. Love it!
Zaneta  @ I'm Fully Booked
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not big on short stories but in my opinion Roshani Chokshi can do no wrong. Not much to say about it, other than repeating what everyone else said already, I would read a full 500 pages set in this world, with this premise.
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I had been thinking of reading The Vishakanya’s Choice for quite a while and was quite happy when it fit to one of the prompts for Asian Lit Bingo. I want to make sure I mention that it is a short story, before anything else, because I don’t want you to be surprised when you start reading it and realise it’s not that long.

This book is #ownvoices for South Asian representation.

__

I am always very interested in stories about choic
Gloriamarie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written, brilliantly told. I ached for the heroine's dilemma. This is a new author whose career I will follow.
R.C. Rejino
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was my first foray into Roshani Chokshi's writing, and I have to say, I absolutely LOVED this short story. It was pretty different than my usual reads, and has more or less opened up my interest in short stories again.

There are many themes in here, such as independence, choices, destiny, and dishonor. I won't give too much away in this review, I just recommend reading it. It's short, it's sweet, and the writing style itself is fantastic.
Kristel Villar
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
A very quick read (only 27 pages on Kindle). It tells the story of Sudha, an assassin who was sent to kill a powerful emperor. There was no action or love story involved here, but tons of dialogues and metaphors about making choices. I love the lyrical prose and the touch of Indian beliefs on horoscopes. It prepped me for the author's debut fantasy novel (with romance, yay!), THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN.
Maisie Dickson(SleepyWiredStudios)
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yass
This was a short story and it was great.
Roshani Chokshi gives a lush, dreamlike tale of a femme fatale who one she killed is summoned back to the Harem for her next assignment.

the words flowed creating the world that felt full and vibrate and I could see in my mind.

loved every second of it.
Ju Transcendancing
No idea why I didn't record this properly and now I can only guess at the dates - it was December though. I really liked this, it was both sweet and creepy and I really loved the strength of the fundamental underlying promise of choice. Great short, highly recommended.
Daria Marshall
This short story was so beautifully written and explores what it means to take someone's choices into their own hands wonderfully. I don't have much else to say other than I can't wait to read Roshani's full-length novel, The Star-Touched Queen, after reading this.
Charlotte Anne Hamilton
[[4 STARS]]

this was such a beautiful read and has made me so excited to pick up TSTQ!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Playing Nice with God’s Bowling Ball
  • Echoes
  • Love is Poison (Snow White, #1-3)
  • The Waiting Stars
  • Unfallen
  • Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden (Elfhome, #1.5)
  • Updating Pritkin (Cassandra Palmer, #5.3)
  • Too Sharp (Tara Sharp, #3)
  • Fiber
  • The Art of Deception
  • Journey into Mystery, Featuring Sif, Volume 2: Seeds of Destruction
  • Shot Glass Sin (Sinners #3.75)
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Daughter of the Goddess
  • Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • Red as Blood and White as Bone
  • Louisa the Poisoner
Roshani Chokshi is the New York Times bestselling author of The Star-Touched Queen and A CROWN OF WISHES. Her middle grade debut, ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME, released April 3, 2018 from Disney/Rick Riordan Presents. The sequel, ARU SHAH AND THE SONG OF DEATH is slated to release April 30, 2019. Her next young adult novel, THE GILDED WOLVES, is slated for January 15, 2019. Chokshi's work has appe ...more
“Perhaps Choices spring up when history makes way for them. Perhaps they will grow, like legends upon dead conquerors.” 4 likes
“Sing as though you're summoning the heavens; silver your voice and bare your throat.” 2 likes