Start by marking “What Were the Twin Towers?” as Want to Read:
What Were the Twin Towers?

What Were the Twin Towers?

(What was...)

Discover the true story of the Twin Towershow they came to be the tallest buildings in the world and why they were destroyed.

When the Twin Towers were built in 1973, they were billed as an architectural wonder. At 1,368 feet, they clocked in as the tallest buildings in the world and changed the New York City skyline dramatically. Offices and corporations moved into the
Published May 10th 2016 by Grosset & Dunlap

Start your review of What Were the Twin Towers?
Rebecca McNutt
There are many picture books and short non-fiction books which have tried to explain one of the most heinous events in recent history to children, and it's definitely no easy feat, but in the case of What Were the Twin Towers?, I found the fact that it includes political/religious opinions to be rather problematic. For instance, the Islamic stuff - while I can understand the rationale behind stating that Islam is peaceful, not wanting to offend or generalize, this not only pushes an agenda on ...more
Don
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I would have given it at least a 3 star rating were it not for the flat out lies on Page 61. "Peaceful and loving"? Horse Hockey!!
Kaleb Harding
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read What Were The Twin Towers by Jim O'Conner. They were built on August 26, 1966. In 1993 they were attacked by a bombers in a white van in the parking garage. That is when they knew they needed better security. On September 11, 2001 they were attacked again, but far worse.Everybody was in sorrow. This time two planes crashed into the towers. At first people had thought it was an accident but when the second hit they knew it was no accident. There were two more planes one headed for the ...more
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I read this with a small group of students who were not even born when the attacks of 9/11 happened. This book spiked an interest in them that I have not seen in a group of reluctant readers. From the facts about the construction of the buildings to the strange facts (like the daredevils) to the facts of the day of the attacks, this text sparked some really great discussion. It also brought up some intense emotions in me as I relived that day in my mind.
Nancy
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Good information about the building of the towers and their destruction. The author's description of the Islam religion being peaceful was a mistake that made me wonder how much else in the story was false. He also said there were unheeded warning signs of the attack by government agencies and even the president. That was disturbing.
Moop
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was a great book on the history of the twin towers from the idea to build them to their terrible collapse. Lots of technical things in the book that describe how all the important decisions were made about the start and memory of the building. May be a little tough for a third grader to understand could be used for 4th or 5 th graders.
Natalie
I thought the book would mainly focus on 9/11 but the author gave a nice history of the Twin Towers that I quite enjoyed.

*Tycoon David Rockefeller wanted Lower Manhattan to turn into a business hub and lively neighborhood. He had a plan to create some massive buildings and got NYC Port Authority behind him.

*Getting the Port Authority involved was a sneaky move because they could use "eminent domain" to push out other businesses and take the land. (Reading between the lines of a kid's book, I
Sunah Chung
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The nonfiction childrens book, What Were the Twin Towers?, does not mainly focus on 9/11 attacks. The book introduces general information of the Twin Towers about the background history of the construction of the building. It includes the original purpose of the building establishment, designing and construction processes with the disciplinespecific words, the 9/11 attacks, and the current memorial buildings for the victims.
The structure of the contents are organized chronologically, and
Lorenzo Costanza
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story is about the Twin Towers and how they got destroyed on September 11, 2001. The book describes the history and the events of the attack. It goes on to talk about how Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden and how they carried out their vicious attack on 9/11. Osama bin Laden had told a group of terrorist attackers to target the twin towers with a plane from American Airlines. The 2 terrorist attackers went to the airport and hijacked a plane with approximately 92 passengers. They were flying for ...more
Rebecca
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"No day shall erase you from the memory of time." - Virgil

Such a fitting quote, etched beautifully into the wall within the private "Reflection Room" of the Memorial Museum in New York City, for the family and friends of those who lost their lives amidst the rubble of 9/11 to reflect upon.

The events surrounding September 11, 2001 are skillfully recorded in this children's book by Jim O'Connor; beginning with the history of the area itself, the grand construction design of the Twin Towers, and
Tiffany
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book to my third and fourth graders and they learned a lot. It made them think and come up with questions about the Twin Towers. It gives a great history of the towers being built and tells the story of the memorial that is in their place today. Very good read!
Gunnar E
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was sad but interesting.
Caroline
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very well done overview of the World Trade Center for kids. I actually learned things I didn't know about the acquisition of land and building of the towers. It covers a greater span of history than just the events that took place on September 11th, but it does a very graceful and respectful way of highlighting the events of that day and the memorial that stands in place of the towers now. I would definitely recommend this to parents whose children don't remember or weren't alive on ...more
Heather
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good. It !makes it out like these terrorist stacked because they hated the greed of Americans. I feel like it glossed over a lot for young reader s
David
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What Were the Twin Towers? by Jim O'Connor is loaded with facts and interesting details about the construction of the Twin Towers that were fascinating to read about. It also describes its functionality as operation as a self-contained community and what types of residents and companies were located there. The two Islamic terrorist attacks were also covered in a fair amount of detail from the planning and execution to the aftermath and the cleanup after the collapse of both towers. What I found ...more
Tayden Christians
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was a very good book If you like the twin towers. I like how they in memory of the twin towers put up a museum with pieces of metal and bent steel.this book really let me in on how big of a deal the twin towers were. I always knew about the a little but not this much. I've always been really interested in things like this. So maybe I will look more into it. I really liked this book and I think that if your interested in reading you should definitely read it.
Erin Pierce
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as interesting as the other "who was" books, which was kind of expected. Gave a good overall view of how the Towers came to be, their construction, and destruction.
Milene
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What Were the Twin Towers? tells readers about the history of the famous Twin Towers located in NYC from their beginning to their devastating end. The author gives plenty of details about the Twin Towers. David Rockefeller, the president of one of the largest banks in the world, wanted to attract business to lower Manhattan and sought the help of the Port Authority to help him with his idea. He wanted to create the World Trade Center.
After getting financing and plans approved, construction was
Autumn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What were the twin towers was a great book! The format of the story was what made me very fond of this book because its very organized, and I am a very organized person and I enjoy reading books that have a very organized order. It started off by explaining what the twin towers were and then, it went into how the building process. Next, into the city's thoughts of the trade center. Then, it covered how and why the attacks of 9/11 went down. After, in explained the impact the attacks of 9/11 had ...more
Jordyn Pounders
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Starting with the attack of the World Trade Centers, this book describes why they were a target in the first place. It goes on to talk about who built them and why, and the struggles in took to get them up and also the amount of money it took to build them. It also tells the stories of the daredevils that decided to walk between them on a tightrope! It them goes on to explain the attack and why it happened, explaining what terrorist were and the architecture that caused the towers to fall.
I
Debra McGrail
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick, sobering overview of 9/11 and the Twin Towers, appropriate for the younger set. One might disagree with Islam being portrayed as a religion of peace, as the book does, but it has lots of interesting facts about the towers themselves, the events of 9/11, and what has happened on the site since.
Marion Kim
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a great nonfiction book about the Twin Towers and why 9/11 marks on our calendar as a significant date in our country. This is written for a 3rd-4th graders. This book is about how the Twin Towers were built, what happened on 9/11, introduces to the term terrorist, and the Memorial Museum. This would be a great addition to the class library.
Keaton
Oct 16, 2019 added it
Benjamin Wirtz
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
It offers a pretty good description for a children's book. This is from a series of "What were/ Who were..." books that examine historic figures and places. I expected it to focus on mostly on 9/11 but it gives quite a bit of background. It goes into the history of how the Towers came to be in the first place. It does have a prologue about that fateful day but then flashes back to the beginning. The towers were commissioned by David Rockefeller, whos brother just happened to be the governor of ...more
Kellan Francis
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The twin towers are one of the tallest buildings in New York and what happened on September 11 2001.What was crazy is that when the attack happened the hijackers did to on all four crashes.One of the crashes hit the twin towers then another one hit the pentagon then another one hit pennsylvaina and the last one hit Washington D.C.It was very sad how it happened that day.
Tyra
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
What was the Twin Towers is a book about what happened on 9/11 and previous dates of attacks. 9/11 was a very bad day for New York and all around the world because....... Some terrorist decided they wanted to crash into the Twin Towers because they did not like the United States. So they planned out the whole thing then on 9/11 the did what they thought needed to be done. The hijacked planes killed passengers on these plans, they took a lot of peoples lives.

What were the Twin Towers is a very
Kenna Dannhaus
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my 4th grade students this week. This series is so informative and also enjoyable for my kids even though it is slightly above their reading level. On parts with higher level vocabulary everything was explained nicely as to inform them of what things meant.
Denise
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A well-researched, factual introduction to a difficult topic. Includes line drawings, photographs, timelines, and a bibliography that denotes books for young readers.
Well done. Recommended for grades 3-6.
Catherine
An interesting history on the Twin Towers. It was interesting to read about thhe different contest on the different designs for the towers and to learn about the first attack on the North Tower in 1993.
Teri
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fifth grade level book purchased with donor money and the first I've read from the set I own. Aptly timed, I thought the author covered a variety of topics centered around the buildings. History, location, engineering, architecture, and disaster.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Who Was Walt Disney?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Babe Ruth?
  • Who Was Neil Armstrong?
  • Who Was Rosa Parks?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Is Malala Yousafzai?
  • Who Is J.K. Rowling?
  • Who Was Jesus?
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Where Is Alcatraz? (Where Is?)
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Where Is Area 51?
  • Where Is Walt Disney World?
  • Who Is Jeff Kinney?

What was... (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • What Was the Battle of Gettysburg?
  • What Was the Boston Tea Party?
  • What Was the Gold Rush?
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • What Was Pearl Harbor?
  • What Was the First Thanksgiving?
  • What Was the Alamo?
  • What Was Ellis Island?
  • What Was Pompeii? (What Was?)
  • What Is the Statue of Liberty?

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...