Start by marking “Home Game: Big-League Stories from My Life in Baseball's First Family” as Want to Read:
Home Game: Big-League Stories from My Life in Baseball's First Family

Home Game: Big-League Stories from My Life in Baseball's First Family

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From the first third-generation baseball player in Major League Baseball history, a sometimes moving, always candid look at his family's 70 years in the world of professional baseball.

A five-foot-ten firecracker who was spurned by scouts for his small size, supposed lack of power, and temper tantrums (one scout called him a "helmet-throwing terror"), Bret Boone didn't care
Published May 10th 2016 by Crown Archetype

To ask other readers questions about Home Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Game

Lance
Bret Boone made history when he was called up to the Major Leagues by the Seattle Mariners in the 1992 season. His grandfather Ray Boone and his father Bob Boone also played in the Major Leagues, so his call-up made the Boones the first family to have three generations of players in the Major Leagues. Bret shares his stories of his trip through the major leagues, some family memories and his life after playing baseball in this memoir.

It reads much like a typical sports memoir with early childhoo
❇Critterbee
This is the inside story of a life lived in baseball. from the self-admitted hotheaded, third generation Major League Baseball player, Bret Boone.

He talks about his grandfather, Ray Boone, his father Bob (I have a few of his old baseball cards!) his brother Aaron, and his 15 year old son, Jacob, and all of their relationships with baseball.

Most of the book consists of Bret's words running right at you, without subtlety, much the same as how he played the game. He has very strong opinions, which
Rachel Valentine
It was pretty interesting. I was a huge fan of Bret Boone when I was younger so I liked reading this. It brought back some good memories such as getting a foul ball from him when I was a kid.
Eóin Ó Fuartháin
Not a terrible read. What I found difficult is that I couldn't relate to his story. He comes across as the product of someone who has lived with a generous amount of privilege. If you're a fan of the Boone legacy you'll find this to be a good read.
Rick Parsons
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable tale of baseball life and family life of the Boone family.
Larry Hostetler
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, first-reads
Good book, especially to finish reading on Father's Day. Even though I won it in a Goodreads giveaway it was an enjoyable read that (obviously) didn't take long to get through. It is told in a conversational tone without a great deal of the kind of content that makes for reading twice to understand and takes longer to wade through. Plenty of stories about the many baseball greats, including my favorite, Pete Rose (whose son Petey and Bret were good friends from Pete's and Bob's days on the Phill ...more
Lane
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball
a good baseball biography. Many about Bret but some about his dad, grandfather and brother who all played in the majors. I would have enjoyed more about the others but it is mainly Bret's story. He writes like he played, in your face and I am right. There is some interesting ideas about major leagues baseball and the climb to succeed but I expected more.
a quick easy read. for a sports biography, very few errors in facts but maybe that is because Bret knows what he is discussing.
Curtis Edmonds
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bret Boone makes a lot of promises in the early chapters of HOME GAME, and he doesn’t fulfill many of them. Boone says that the book will focus on “inside baseball,” the game within the game, and provide the reader with unexpected insights about the national pastime. But it’s also billed as a book of stories, and there are a lot more stories than anything else.

Read the full review at Bookreporter.com - http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/h...
Ron Hartley
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better baseball auto-bio's I've read in a long time.

Three Generations of Boones played Major League baseball and the 3rd Generation had two of them. All decent players with good skills and baseball smarts. While this is Bret's story, he does share the pages with his brother, dad and grandfather.

It is hard to talk more without giving spoilers, but if you like baseball, this is the book to read.

Brian
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bret Boone is not that likeable, but I found his book to be a quick, easy, informative and pleasurable read. It was interesting learning about the Boone baseball family, but I thought the scarcity of passages about this wife and mother, and how professional baseball affected them was unfortunate.
Maurice Jr.
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! As one who grew up in the '70's watching the Phillies play, I enjoyed this inside look at those Phillies through the eyes of Bret, a boy tagging along with his dad Bob. And, as one who saw Bret play throughout his career, I enjoyed his behind the scenes look at the quest to reach the big leagues and stay there. Any baseball fan will enjoy this.
Jeff
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pretty standard sports "auto"biography. Nothing too interesting here. Bret Boone is a bit of a strange character, and this book just solidifed that. Still fun to get a brief, surface-level look inside the Mariner's best season of all time.
Mark Buckner
Jun 17, 2017
Steven
Sep 18, 2016
  • The Selling of the Babe: The Deal That Changed Baseball and Created a Legend
  • The Last Innocents: The Collision of the Turbulent Sixties and the Los Angeles Dodgers
  • Mickey and Willie: Mantle and Mays, the Parallel Lives of Baseball's Golden Age
  • Stengel: His Life and Times
  • Straw: Finding My Way
  • Nice Guys Finish Last
  • The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World
  • Pujols: More Than the Game
  • Going the Other Way: Lessons from a Life In and Out of Major League Baseball
  • The Book of the People: How to Read the Bible
  • Down to the Last Pitch: How the 1991 Minnesota Twins and Atlanta Braves Gave Us the Best World Series of All Time
  • Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train
  • Out of My League: The Classic Hilarious Account of an Amateur's Ordeal in Professional Baseball
  • Praying for Gil Hodges: A Memoir of the 1955 World Series and One Family's Love of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • 1954: The Year Willie Mays and the First Generation of Black Superstars Changed Major League Baseball Forever
  • Forever Blue: The True Story of Walter O'Malley, Baseball's Most Controversial Owner, and the Dodgers of Brooklyn and Los Angeles
  • The Original Curse: Did the Cubs Throw the 1918 World Series to Babe Ruth's Red Sox and Incite the Black Sox Scandal?
  • Kiss It Good-Bye: The Mystery, the Mormon, and the Moral of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More