Start by marking “Blocks” as Want to Read:
Blocks

Blocks

A stylishly illustrated, ingeniously simple picture-book debut perfect for teaching young children about colors and sharing.

Ruby has red blocks and Benji has blue blocks. They both build with their blocks, until Benji takes one of Ruby’s red blocks and, in the tussle that follows, all the blocks CRASH to the floor. But now Benji has blue and red blocks, and Ruby has red
Published May 10th 2016 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about Blocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blocks

Start your review of Blocks
Kirsten
This is a super simple story about sharing, perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. Ruby and Benji each build with red and blue blocks, respectively. When Benji takes one of Ruby's red blocks, hijinks ensue! My daughter was definitely RIGHT THERE with the kids and loves shouting "Mine!" when they are arguing, then says "Uh-oh! Mess!" when the predictable mess happens. The die-cut cover is a nice touch and lends some visual interest.

Notes on representation: Ruby has dark skin and hair, Benji
Nathan
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
May 27 - The parents seemed interested in this one as much as the kids. I overheard some parents whispering about "sharing" throughout the book, and I picked up on that. All the kids were old enough to guess what was going to happen throughout but still seemed invested in the story despite it's predictability.

May 13 - This one will go by fast, but it has an opportunity for some interaction about "what's next?" I'll try it out since I really like the moral and the art style.
Niki Marion
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this book w the 18 mo old I babysit, and she's obsessed.

I want to delve into the illustrations more when I have a spare moment.
Alyssa Tabor
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really sweet. Would work for baby or family storytime. Good representation.
Janet
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2016-picbk
Very brief text, but it is the large uncluttered illustrations that carry the message of sharing to the toddler are group. The basic colors of red and blue imposed on a white background easily illustrate the concept of sharing.
Jason
There's a nice symmetry to the layouts, with one kid on each side of a two page spread throughout the story.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great, simple toddler book about colors and sharing.
Kate Sumner
This book is about a girl named Ruby and a boy name Benji. Ruby has red blocks and Benji has blue bocks. They both build with their own colored blocks, until Ruby notices Benji with her block! Wanting it back, she tussles with him, and as a result, all of their blocks are knocked to the floor. Once the colors are mixed, they begin to share the blocks and create one big building of blocks! Then, on the last page, we see a boy named guy arriving with his green blocks.
This is a very simplistic yet
Serene in Wonderland
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-sharing
This is a super cute board book on sharing. There are very few words so it's perfect for infants and young preschoolers. A little girl is playing with her red blocks and a boy playing with his blue ones. Then the boy decides he likes the look of the red blocks so takes one. They fight and knock their blocks all over the place. Once the blocks are all mixed, they both build something together.

It's very simple and I'm not sure how much of the moral a very young child gets from it but it's a
Renee
Two kids with separate color blocks are building next to each other. One child takes another child's block and there is a bog fight until they realize they can build together. And then a third child comes along. What will they do?

The end papers are nice on this book because the first page shows creations building with one color of block ( red creations and separate blue creations - one from each child). At the end of book, the end papers show creations build with 3 different colors of blocks
The Library Lady
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very, VERY didactic--the description blatantly says "to teach children about colors and sharing." Nice goal, but you'll generally do better with the colors than the "sharing" thing with young kids. This is, of course, "diverse," with a little girl who is probably Latina, a little white boy, and then, for the punch line, a little African American boy, and the art is attractive in a Helen Oxenbury sort of style, with bright colors and a simple,bold style.

My one caveat emptor is that the book has
Kaylee
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
Blocks by Irene Dickson is a great book that introduces sharing and diversity for toddlers and pre-K children. The story starts with two children, a little girl who has darker skin and a little boy with light skin. The children are both playing with blocks the little girl, Ruby, with red blocks and the little boy, Benji, with blue blocks. When Benji takes a red block, the children have to learn to share. The book ends in a cute way that can be a great discussion topic for your pre-K kiddos about ...more
Dianna
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My three-year-old is fascinated by this story of two kids fighting over then sharing blocks. As a parent, I appreciate that the kids worked things out themselves.

The illustrations are just perfect. They're very simple, so there are no distractions from what's happening in the story. The blocks are shaped like standard unit blocks, so they look familiar to my son, which he loves. The use of color is so clever and really helps my son understand what's going on in the story. And of course he is
Emma
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A simple and clearly illustrated story about sharing and playing together, this book worked better with my toddler storytime than I thought it would. I think the cut outs in the front cover really hooked their attention when I looked through it at them. Though many of the group are still working on the whole "sharing" concept (and had lots of fun repeating the word "Mine!"), it can't hurt to introduce it to them, especially when storytime is followed by play time!
Rachelle Kirby
The pictures are cute and bright and the words are simple and could be repeated by a young child. My son chose this at the library as his vote for the firefly award (he's almost three). The cover drew him over instantly with the colorful red and blue and eye catching "block" cut-outs. Great book for teaching colors and sharing.
Tracey
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
diverse picture book (colors, sharing, emotions; for toddlers ages 18 months and up?)
*Prominently features diverse characters: Ruby has dark skin and dark brown, straight hair; Benji has light skin and light hair. A third child, Guy, introduced at the very end, is Black.
* Would work for toddler storytime (or a short book for preschool storytime). Dynamic pictures and very short, simple sentences, plus a "sharing" theme that parents of both groups will appreciate.

see also
John
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because they tumble, but tumbling isn't okay, and one of them loses their shoe in the tumble. And I'll tell you their names: one was named Ruby and one was named Benji. And there's this guy who's green who's called Guy.
Meg
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, playtime
A good book for kids who are just learning how to sit still for a story. However, it was so short and simple that the narrative almost didn't hold the attention of my playtime group. Recommend for ages 0-2, but it likely won't impress children much older than that.
Short, simple text and absolutely fantastic illustrations teach kids about colors and sharing. This is a great read aloud to toddlers and preschoolers to start a discussion or get them to predict what could/should/will happen.
Mary
Pictures are large and not too intricate which would be good for story time. Pictures depict diversity. Story shows children sharing and working together but not until after they are greedy and knock down their buildings.
Rebecca Sharp
I love the simplicity of the story and the message in this book! I see so much potential as a read aloud for teacher, counselors, and parents in conversation and extension activities. Can't wait to share it!
Brittany
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book about sharing for any parent of a "MINE, MINE, MINE" kind of toddler. Also it helps them learn their colors, which is amazing!
Heidi-Marie
Covered Betsy's Toddler ST for sharing theme. This was cute and simple. Bright colors. We had a small crowd but it worked just fine.
Christine
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-b-t-ps
Colors, shapes, and sharing! Great for toddlers.
Libby
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So great for toddlers/young preschoolers. I haven't really seen anything else like it. The open-end led to lots of good discussion as well.
Marie Arie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shapes, 123-s
Fun simple book of two boys playing with blocks to build a great castle. The book uses counting and numbers for children to recognize. Great for early readers.
Caroline
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Two kids learn about the benefits of sharing in this simple picture books.

With brief text and bold illustrations, this a good one for group sharing.
Zan Porter
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Humorous, simple text, great for storytime!
Cynthia
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Toddlers learning to share with simple, graphic and colorful illustrations.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Good for problem solving and social interactions storytime. Short and sweet, the ending leaves you able to discuss your own solution.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Good Egg
  • Alan's Big, Scary Teeth
  • Hank's Big Day: The Story of a Bug
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • Hooray for Birds!
  • All Are Welcome
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • The Opposite Zoo
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • It Came in the Mail
1 follower
Irene Dickson has been designing all sorts of things—from corporate identity, marketing, and websites to interior graphics and stained glass—as well as creating her own range of bespoke wedding stationery. She is now enjoying a new path creating picture books. She lives in a beautiful rural county in England with her family and her very old cat.