Start by marking “The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange, #1)

The Voodoo Killings

(Kincaid Strange #1)

For the first time since we launched Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, Random House Canada is thrilled to announce the debut of a new urban fantasy series. Kristi Charish's The Voodoo Killings introduces Kincaid Strange, not your average voodoo practitioner...

For starters, she's only 27. Then there's the fact that she lives in rain-soaked Seattle, which is not exactly Haiti. And
Published May 10th 2016 by Vintage Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Killings, please sign up.
Kristi Hi Sue and Nicole! Just saw this question pop up. So, long story short-currently I do not have a US publisher for The Voodoo Killings - my publisher…moreHi Sue and Nicole! Just saw this question pop up. So, long story short-currently I do not have a US publisher for The Voodoo Killings - my publisher is Canadian (as I'm from Canada ;-)) The biggest effect that has is the $9.99 CAD ebook is not available through Amazon.com, though some people in the US have reported being able to buy the ebook from Amazon.ca. I'm not entirely sure how they are getting around the regional restrictions- potentially someone out there might know (hint for someone to chime in!)

In order to purchase the physical book you need to go through Amazon.ca (note- the price on Amazon.ca is often shown in Canadian dollars), Chapters/Indigo (Canadian version of B&N- Canadian $), or Book Depository (though they are momentarily sold out, you should be able to hop on the wait list- bonus: free shipping!).

Last, but not least- Audible. If you have an audible membership The voodoo Killings is available internationally through Amazon.com/Audible for 1 credit. If you haven't ever tried Audible you can sign up for a free trial and get Voodoo Killings as your free book. The narrator does a great job.

There will also be a number of giveaways going on US blogs- Talk Supe, Goldilox and the 3 Weres, The Book Nympho, etc- so keep an eye on Twitter, FB, or here.

Long winded but I really hope that helps! And sorry you're having a time of getting a copy!

Kristi Charish(less)
Kristi Hey Lisa,
Hey Lisa,
Sorry! Just seeing this now. So there is an update on the second book - it's been done for a while and will be released in June 2018 in the US and Canada. One year from now but it's pretty well set in stone. (less)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.25 stars for this zombie fantasy set in Seattle, Washington. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Kincaid Strange is one of only two known remaining voodoo practitioners in Seattle. She’s had a hard time making end meet, ever since new laws went into effect restricting the raising of zombies. Permanent zombies ― called five-line zombies for the magical lines that anchor their four limbs and head to life ― are outlawed entirely; four-line temporary zombies (who are missing the magic
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/05/18/...

I want to say right off the bat, this was the most fun I’ve had with an urban fantasy in ages! Not only was I blown away by the potential—the most I’ve seen when it comes to a new series—Kristi Charish appears to have this uncanny ability to push all my right buttons. I became a fan of hers after the Adventures of Owl, and I’ve been hankering for anything she writes ever since. That’s how this first book of her new serie
Skyler Autumn
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 Stars

Voodoo Killings is not a bad novel it's just not a really good novel either. It lives in that 'meh' territory. The I can take it or leave it type of read. The one that is enjoyable enough at the time but given a few years you'll not remember ever reading it.

This novel follow the adventure Kincaid Strange a Voodoo practitioner (a person that raises the dead, talks to ghosts, and has seances) as she gets roped into helping a murder investigation, babysitting a zombie suffering from anesthe
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I've been waiting for like a year for this one to pop up. DO WANT.

Bob Milne
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you step tentatively into a book, not quite sure where the intersection of your hopes and expectations will lie. Urban Fantasy is not generally a must-read genre for me, but I’ve become a fan of Kristi Charish’s Adventures of Owl. Having said that, however, I know that much of the appeal in that series (for me, at least) is in the archaeology and the mythology. As such, I really wasn’t sure if I was up for a more, for lack of a better word, generic urban fantasy.

Well, let me spare you
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
If not for one particularly frustrating thing, I would have adored this book. The thing in question is just a personal preference of mine that shouldn't play any role anywhere else except in my mind (I wish I could ignore it too).

The world building is good. You don't get too much of it; you get just enough for the first book in the series. Dealing with ghosts, ghouls, poltergeists and zombies is public, but it doesn't mean the law is okay with it (at least, at this point). Kincaid Strange is a p
Bonnie
The Voodoo Killings is a brand new Urban Fantasy series by Kristi Charish which introduces Kincaid Strange, a voodoo practitioner living in Seattle, Washington. Struggling to make ends meet after losing her job with the Seatle PD and now that raising zombies is technically illegal, Kincaid resorts to making the rent by performing seances. Her roommate, a deceased Seattle grunge rocker by the name of Nate Cade, occasionally assists her with these but it’s often difficult for her to persuade him t ...more
☕️Kimberly
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Georgia Kincaid, Kim Harrison and Ilona Andrews will feel right at home slipping into Kincaid Strange’s world. The setting and world had aspects that I am familiar with making it easy to lose myself in the story. Charish added a nice spin to it with the voodoo, world building, and summoning rituals.

Kincaid is twenty-seven, broke, single and living in Seattle with a ghost. She is a Voodoo Practitioner who aids police by raising the dead to find out who murdered them. She also does odd job
Tori
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2016/05/review-...

Favorite Quote: “Look kid, I’m not raising a zombie so you can send it to buy beer.”

Kincade Strange is a 27-year-old freelance voodoo practitioner living in Seattle, WA. Hard-pressed for funds and pulling seances for bored, rich kids, Kincade finds herself in the middle of a mystery when she happens upon a zombie who was a famous artist while alive and whose animation looks to be the work of her former mentor. Zombie raising
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading The Voodoo Killings and because of finals week at school and work I wasn't able to devour it in one night like I wanted to. My reading time just wasn't my own and I hated having to put the book down each night. I took it with me on a road trip to my sister-in-law's house in hopes that I would get to finish it but again, I had to talk to people instead of reading. LOL Then I saw it was released on audio so I requested it and was able to listen to the rest of the book on my dri ...more
Lisa
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2016/0...

Voodoo Killings is a fun and refreshing urban fantasy featuring ghosts and zombies. At the center of this story is Kincaid Strange, a voodoo practitioner struggling to make ends meet in Seattle. Now, what makes her story fun is a combination of her personality (and snark) and the people we encounter through her.

Kincaid is definitely the type of protagonist I enjoy. She’s had a life that keeps her expectations and outlook on
Ian
There really is too much going on in this book.

A great idea is weighed down by excessive clutter.

I could have walked away a few times in the first 50% and
I seriously considered it...I probably would have if any of a
few books I'm waiting for had been released.

So a 5 Star idea but 3 Star execution.
Kara-karina
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, this was so refreshing!

I miss simple, action-packed, colourful and to the point urban fantasy I fell in love with ten years ago. And Kristi Charish delivers exactly that. This is so like early Anita Blake, Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison and Jim Butcher, I absolutely adored it.

Kincaid is a woman of many secrets and unbeatable tenacity bordering on suicidal recklessness, very much like Rachel Morgan. The reader is thrown right into action and it's presumed that we are supposed to know the bas
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
Urban Fantasy can be kind of hit or miss for me, but this one sounded intriguing so I thought I've give it a go...

description

Kincaid is a 27 year old voodoo practitioner/witch who gets called to help when a mysterious newly risen zombie wanders into her local bar. From there a story unfolds with twists and turns. We meet Nate her ghost roommate. Cameron the newly risen Zombie. Max her practitioner mentor, and Aaron her ex-boyfriend a cop. Along the way we also meet some more zombies, ghosts, poltergeists,
Douglas Meeks
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure what I was going to find here but I stumbled up on the synopsis for the next book in this series Lipstick Voodoo and it appealed to me BUT I am kinda OCD about reading books in a series out of order so I grabbed this one since it is book 1 and I am SO glad I did.

Kincaid is a "practitioner" which in the version of our present day world is something akin to a cross of voodoo and necromancer which allows her to help law enforcement in the past but a new Captain thinks that is corrupt
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Ah, voodoo... I love you so ;)

This was one of those books that's just easy fun. She also managed to surprise me with both the killer's identity and the... rather interesting ending.

Kincaid Strange is a voodoo practitioner living in Seattle. Most of her business came from working with the police, and thanks to the new Chief of Police (I think he was Chief), practitioners are unwelcome. It's illegal to raise zombies, or at least permanent ones, and the new Chief sees any type of practitioner in
Talk Supe
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Very different from Owl, Kincaid Strange is more "magic" and less Otherworldly. The action is not as fast paced but just as intense. And where Owl is brimming with personality and quick wit, Kincaid is more cautious and an introvert.

Thanks Kristi for not making Kincaid and Aaron's relationship a romance drama. In fact, thanks for making this actually about voodoo killings and less break-up meltdowns.

I love this series debut, it has a lot of promise and I'm excited to know WTF and HTH Nate did
Lukasz
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I always look for new urban fantasy books to read, even when they're already few years old. Also, spice the story with some voodeux, and I'm sold.

The Voodoo Killings has it all - cool synopsis, stray zombies, magic and Voodoo in the title. Basically, I grabbed the copy as soon as I spotted it on Goodreads.

And I liked it. Mostly.

Kincaid Strange lives in Seattle. She's a 27-year-old freelance voodoo practitioner with some financial issues. In order to pay the rent, she pulls seances for rich and
Carrie Mansfield
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finished copy provided by the publisher for review consideration.

Normally, I'm not much of a zombie person. Or at least, I'm not really much of a horror zombie kind of person. The apocalypse (which usually comes with zombies) doesn't interest me and beyond serving as a metaphor for death that is nipping at ones heels, they just aren't that interesting of a normal paranormal creature to me.

Normally.

Kristi Charish's Voodoo Killings has made me a fan, of at least her special brand of the classic cr
All Things Urban Fantasy
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kim
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:

Kincaid Sinclair has just had her livelihood made illegal, discovers a ghost trap in her lobby and now a random zombie shows up at her favourite bar... She's having a rough day in Seattle. And of course, it's raining.

THE VOODOO KILLINGS takes place in the wet, ghost-filled world of Seattle, where a new police chief has put a stop on using mediums to question murder victims and witnesses, either in zombie or ghost form. Overnight, Kincaid has lost her m
Jenn
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was so pleased to be invited to read this Kincaid Strange series.    It's urban fantasy which is a favorite. I've always heard good things about this author. The whole voodoo / raising zombies theme seemed perfect for the autumn and Halloween time frame.

Kincaid Strange is really alone. She has some co-workers and ex-colleagues, o
Maddie
I'm not going to rate this one just yet because I'm DNFing it 50% of the way through. I wish this was better but it's just plain boring. The magic system is way too drawn out and the characters are super flat. Which would I might have been able to look past if this book wasn't set in Seattle.

Why is it that people from not Seattle like to write books about Seattle?

And why is it that they always get it so wrong?

This book puts a heavy emphasis on Seattle politics and how the city voted in a whole b
Jenna (lostwithinwords)
This review was first published on Fictional Neverland

*I received a free ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Voodoo Killings was an extremely slow paced mystery that thankfully switched it's gear half way through the book. Filled to the brim with zombies, ghosts and poltergeists, the first instalment in a new Urban Fantasy series by Kristi Charish was a solid start for what is yet to come.

This story fol
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

It just didn't grab me much. I ended up putting it down several times over, being distracted with Youtube videos or doing online shopping ... I couldn't really explain why it didn't. The characters were okay; I couldn't find faults in them. But it just lacked something to make me emotionally root for either one of them *shrugs*.

Although I did kind of wanting to know more about Cameron (view spoiler)
Ammar
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks Penguin Canada for this book.

It's my first urban fantasy read and it was okay. I couldn't compare it to anything as I have never read a book in that genres.

It was a good first book in a series, yet it did leave gaps. Like that it didn't describe what happened in Seattle before the events and before the ban on rising zombies and use them and the ban on using paranormal practitioner to help police solve crimes.

I wish we were able to be inside Nathan and not just have the story from Kinca
Shelley
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Source* Random House Canada
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

The Voodoo Killings, by author Kristi Charish, is the first installment in a brand new series featuring protagonist Kincaid Strange. Kincaid is a full fledged practitioner (i.e. necromancer) who lives in Seattle and has access to the land of the dead, better known as Otherside. She was once a consultant to the Seattle PD until a new Captain came along and disavowed her. (Before you say this sounds like Anita Blake, just st
Cassandra
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
01/06/16
Such a fantastic read, highly recommend! Full review here!
Bambi Unbridled
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Kristi Charish is a new-to-me author, and one I am happy to have found. I am always looking for more talent in the realm of urban fantasy, and the Kincaid Strange series has definitely piqued my interest.

Our heroine is Kincaid Strange, a 27 year old voodoo practitioner living in the heart of Seattle. But now that she is no longer allowed to be a paranormal consultant to the local police department, Kincaid is having to make ends meet by doing seances for frat parties. So dealing with a random ro
Sallie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best books of which you haven't heard. Cool, urban fantasy/paranormal tale with a new take on zombies. An intriguing mystery that had me guessing for most of the book. I dis figure it out before the killer was revealed, but then Charish still had a surprise in store for the reader. I recommend you read it. The sequel is out in January. I can't wait.
Urban Fantasy Afi...: November Group Read 6 18 Nov 11, 2016 09:46AM
The GoodBook Club : This topic has been closed to new comments. The Voodoo Killings Discussion 75 79 May 31, 2016 10:18AM
The GoodBook Club : May Book Club Pick - The Voodoo Killings 46 125 May 27, 2016 11:06AM

• Made For Sin
  • How the Wolf Lost Her Heart
  • Zombie Abbey
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project, #3)
  • Vendetta (Deadly Curiosities, #2)
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • I Am Forever (What Kills Me, #2)
  • Apocalypse Happens (Phoenix Chronicles, #3)
  • The Amateurs
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Latter-Day Olympians, #1)
  • Take Us To Your Chief And Other Stories
  • City of Eternal Night (Crescent City, #2)
  • Wyvern Awakening (Mage Chronicles, #1)
  • Rogue's Passion (Iron Portal, #2)
  • Those Poor, Poor Bastards (Dead West, #1)
  • Nightshades (Nightshades, #1)
Kristi is the author of OWL AND THE JAPANESE CIRCUS (Simon and Schuster Canada/Pocket Books), an urban fantasy about a modern-day “Indiana Jane” who reluctantly navigates the hidden supernatural world, and THE VOODOO KILLINGS (Random House Canada), an urban fantasy/mystery about a voodoo practitioner living in Seattle with the ghost of a deceased grunge rocker.

She writes what she loves; adventure

Kincaid Strange (3 books)
  • Lipstick Voodoo (Kincaid Strange, #2)
  • Voodoo Shanghai (Kincaid Strange #3)
“Sometimes knowledge is not worth the headache it brings.” 5 likes
“Murphy's law: every time you think you know something, the universe will prove you wrong.” 2 likes