Start by marking “The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)

The Weaver's Lament

(Symphony of Ages #9)

Acclaimed author Elizabeth Haydon returns with a heartbreaking tale of love and valor in The Weaver’s Lament, the ninth and final installment of her USA Today bestselling Symphony of Ages series that began with Rhapsody.

For a thousand years, the lands ruled by the Cymrian Alliance have been at peace. When the brutal death of a dear friend catapults the kingdom to the brink
Published June 21st 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Weaver's Lament, please sign up.
Carole Johnson I finally got the download when it was released today. I just finished reading it and it was amazing. IF you have a hardcover you don't want I would…moreI finally got the download when it was released today. I just finished reading it and it was amazing. IF you have a hardcover you don't want I would love it, and am happy to pay to get it here. Please let me know. Thanks!(less)

Start your review of The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)
Bookwraiths
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Weaver’s Lament is the ninth and final book in Elizabeth Haydon’s The Symphony of Ages series. Never having read any of the prior novels, I concede this book was probably not the best place for me to start my journey with these characters, but all in all, I found this finale an entertaining fantasy which I was able to fully enjoy. Ms. Haydon doing a wonderful job highlighting the important events of the past, making it easy for old fans or new readers to
Christina
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
What I Want in Dirge:
- for it to actually be written & published
- Ashe to finally become full wyrm & a decent character again not just some whiny love sick dillhole
- Meridion to be grown up & a complete badass because Achmed comes to begrudgingly love him like a son & trains him in all kinds of awesomeness
- Meridion & Grunthor drunkenly singing tons of filthy songs
- Achmed to stop being such a giant weiner & tell Rhapsody he loves her

What I got from Weaver's Lament:
-it
Alecia
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've been reading the Symphony of Ages series since I was 14 years old. Of course, my tastes have shifted a bit since then but on the whole, the books have remained satisfying reading through my adult years...at least up until now.

Spoiler free review: The momentum of the novel just did not hold up for me. The first half of the book was like an extended prologue. We're introduced to Rhapsody's six perfect children and million grandchildren, only one of which has any impact on the story at all.
S
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The ninth and last installment of Elizabeth Haydon's outstanding Symphony of Ages series has finally come to a close, as well as my reflection on the series as a whole.

Before I could even begin to write this review and as soon as I set the book down after reading it in under 24 hours, I ended-up moping around for the following few days feeling lost and emotionally distraught.
"Is she serious?!" You might ask and to answer that straight away is yes, yes I' am.

I won't go into details of the plot,
Katherine
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I first started this series over a decade ago and am so glad to have the story end in such a satisfying way. While the brief introduction to some new characters was a bit distracting, we got to revisit almost all of our favorite ones from previous books. There was a little more rehashing of the previous books than I personally felt was necessary, it might be helpful for those who haven't read the series in a long time and need a refresher on events they discuss. Overall, this was a great last ...more
Narilka
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
"That is the end of my tale, with illustrations, my song, a symphony of Ages spanning from before the Seren War in the Third Age to the end of this one, the Sixth Age, which in what little I can see of the Future will be known as Twilight. The paradox is complete."

The Weaver's Lament is the 9th and final book in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages. I have mixed feelings about this book. I do think it is a fitting end to the series. That said, I also feel unsatisfied with a few key points that
Taisin
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well... that was some ending. The summary for this book should be "random tragedy strikes randomly", and that - apart from a still unholy amount of exposition and repetitions of the pervious books - is my largest problem with it. Nothing in the book is logical, plot is non existent, all the tragedy comes from the stupidity (of Ashe and his generals) and of sudden prophecy execution. Not that sudden prophecy execution is in itself bad - but there's no, absolutely no reason to it, apart from the ...more
Nemi
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
David Teachout
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
So it ends. I went from trepidation, to shock, then more shock with a bit of despair, curiosity at how he rest would fall out and ended in a whole lot of inner tears. I'd call this ending a tragedy, but with so much triumph involved, I'm not sure that fits. Tragi-umph? I don't know. What is clear is that these characters were more than just people in the pages of a book, they represented the best qualities of humanity, even when they were anything but human. Their journey went to the heights of ...more
Liz
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
With a heavy heart, I finished the BEST series I've yet to read and let's be serious, there won't be any better ever written.
I'm so happy, albeit bitterly; to finally hear the end of this tale.
It's so wonderfully woven together, no wonder it's been so easy to wrap myself in it like a blanket.

Thank you, E.H
Erin
2.5.

This started off okay. Sure, there were way too many infodumps, who TF cares about these new members of Rhapsody's family when it's the last book, Ashe and Rhapsody's relationship still has some SERIOUS communication problems, but whatever. It was bearable.

Even the first two deaths were pretty well-telegraphed. They were clumsily handled, but there was some foreshadowing.

Then the second third of the book started and it took a nosedive straight into dreck. It turned into Haydon's final
Carole Johnson
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I got the Kindle download this morning and read straight though until a few moments ago. I was absolutely blown away. Anyone who enjoyed this series, you owe it to yourself to read this. It's utterly beautiful. All the things I'd been longing to see were there, every question was answered. It was intelligently and masterfully written, and several times I had to stop to either wipe tears away, take a breath, or blink. The humor that made me fall in love with Haydon's writing in the first place is ...more
Lost Girls
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It has been 15 years since I began the journey of the Symphony of Ages. I have had several questions go unanswered and now, finally, "I have seen the Weaver's tapestry beyond the Veil of Hoen," and it was incredible. Elizabeth Haydon has outdone herself.

"I have seen both the first strand of Time, which was burned when Time was altered, and the second one in which it was remade."

Why was Rhapsody an old woman when she first met Ashe and why was he insane? The tale of the original strand of Time,
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
“The Weaver’s Lament”, the ninth and final book in the “Symphony of Ages” series by Elizabeth Haydon, takes place over 1000 years after the conclusion of the previous book (“The Hollow Queen”). The first third of the book was an account of how the characters’ lives had progressed over the millennia. It read much like an extended epilogue, which I didn’t mind because I’m always clamoring for more “where are they now?” content at the end of a good series. Even though this catch-up-the-reader ...more
Lucy Hayes
After finishing The Hollow Queen, I was a bit confused. "She has one more whole book," I thought to myself, "but she already finished up the story. Now what?" It seemed silly to leave the last book out of the ongoing plot and come up with a new one AND finish it AND wrap up everything in a satisfactory manner. It can be done, but I was skeptical.

The first half of this book was emotionally wrenching. Keep the tissues with you, folks. I was a wreck. Lots of stuff happens, much explanations are
Sharanda
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This ending made me happy and left a feeling of hope. Perfect
Michael Dunn
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really just a very long epilogue and tedious at that. Series really should have ended after three books. the whole story of the Sorbold emperor wasn't worth the time.
Mike O'brecht
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The ending of this was a bit anticlimactic, but still very good and very emotional. To me, something that very much brings the book together and makes it the 3 star I've indicated.

The beginning of the book I found too slow, and too much about the Rhapsody and Ashe relationship and family. Something I could have done without personally.

Overall a good finally to The Symphony of Aged series, which I've enjoyed very much over the last 15 or so years.

If you ever have a chance to pick this series
James Hein
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So the series is finally complete. This has taken a number of years from start to finish but in theend I think most will be happy with the way Elizabeth ended it.
Gaijinmama
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've been a huge fan of this series since the first book. Wow, was it really 16 years ago?! For many readers that's half of their lifetime, or more. Consider my mind Officially Boggled.
That said, I would have given 3.5 if Goodreads allowed it. With 4 stars, I'm being generous. Honestly, I am disappointed. Think last Harry Potter book, which I actually threw across the room.
I couldn't throw this one, as I was in a restaurant and didn't want to be kicked out.
Think X Files after Mulder left. Or
David
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I must admit, I thought that book 8 (The Hollow Queen) was the final book in this 'trilogy.' That book has a fitting end that wrapped up most of the loose ends from previous books. That begs the question: why write book 9? I understand that the author wants one more paycheck out of The Symphony of Ages gravy train. People need to put bread on the table- I get that. However:

This book is set 1000 years after the previous book. What happened 1000 years after the time on Earth when we had feudal
Andrea
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I honestly hadn't even realized that this series was still going until I received an email from Goodreads telling me about the month's new releases by authors that I read. I ordered the book immediately, since the original trilogy is still among my favorite stories, and the later ones weren't bad either.

This book takes place a thousand years after the end of the last one, and the land has been at peace until a relatively minor incident gets blown out of proportion and Stuff happens. Most of the
Corinne Fowler
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God!!! Such a beautifully bittersweet ending to a beautiful masterpiece like the Symphony of Ages! I will not give the ending away, but WHAT an emotional rollercoaster I was on when I read this! Everyone goes through their own personal tragedy that intertwined with the other, leading up to an emotional ending that I will never forget. Every time I think of it, I want to cry my eyes out. And I have been reading these books since I was 15 years old!
Glyder
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The completion or the journey.

Elizabeth is an amazing author. This was one of the best series I have ever read. The depth of the characters were outstanding. I was hooked from the first book and wasn't ever disappointed throughout the rest. I liked the way she ended their journey back at the beginning.
I look forward to reading more of your work in the future
Again well done.
I definitely recommend this book to everyone.
Fiannawolf
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Finished this series while watching over my grandma. At one point she commented, "What's the matter...you look ill. Want some of my soup?"

Oh my goodness. Why did it have to be him.

Pros: I got to see how a favorite series ended.
Cons: I still have questions.
+Why him...I liked that guy very much. My favorite. He's gone. Lament indeed.
Colleen
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I loved this whole series--till this one. I think she should've left well enough alone. This one picked up the story after 1000 years and with nothing significant happening in the world, It seemed as if she didn't know what to do with the characters we've grown so fond of throughout the series and was just tired of the whole thing. Very disappointing.
Carol
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very satisfying end of this series. Questions were answered, explanations given, death & life, sorrow & joy. There's enough of an opening that Ms. Haydon could continue if she so chose, but this thread of books, the story that began, now many years ago, with Rhapsody has been completed. Most excellent!!
Dri C.C. Richardson
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful. It could not have ended more perfectly. I downloaded it yesterday morning and read straight through to he end. It was... everything that I needed it to be and more. Thank you so ridiculously much for concluding this series so perfectly ;___;
Karin
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is why most series end after the happily ever after. I was perfectly happy with the ending of book 8.
Firecat
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book was somewhat enjoyable, it lacked something the early books in the series had. It just didn't flow the same way, or have the same 'feel' to it. Instead of being well thought out and well written, it felt rushed and tacked on, like it was done just to fill space and tie everything up all neatly in a bow. The 1000 year time jump was just plain unnecessary, too. Especially when the events of those thousand years were barely touched on. And the synopsis on the cover? HIGHLY ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mirror Sight (Green Rider, #5)
  • Thief's Magic (Millennium’s Rule, #1)
  • The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia, #2)
  • Waltzing the Cat
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • The Mage-Fire War (The Saga of Recluce, #21)
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
  • Blackveil (Green Rider, #4)
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
  • 100 Deadly Skills: Survival Edition: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Surviving in the Wild and Being Prepared for Any Disaster
  • 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • Planeswalker (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #2)
  • The Brothers' War (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #1)
  • Bloodlines
  • Aztec (Aztec, #1)
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • Firebrand (Green Rider, #6)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)