Start by marking “Star Wars: Remnant (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15; Force Heretic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Remnant (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15; Force Heretic, #1)

Star Wars: Remnant (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order #15)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  4,925 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
As the bloodied and weary galaxy faces battle once more, the Jedi take on the formidable task of bringing the last of the Empire into the light...

From the ashes of the New Republic -- torn to shreds by the savage Yuuzhan Vong forces -- the newly formed Galactic Alliance has risen, determined to bring peace to the entire galaxy. But first the Yuuzhan Vong must be contained
Published (first published February 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Scott Rhee
"Remnant" by Sean Williams and Shane Dix is the fifteenth book in the New Jedi Order series and the first book of the Force Heretic trilogy. It's definitely not the best of the series, but it's definitely not the worst, either.

The Yuuzhan Vong, whose forces were seriously depleted at the Battle of Ebaq 9 (see "Destiny's Way"), are desperate for soldiers. They are currently on a mission to kidnap as many infidels throughout the galaxy to turn into slave-soldiers.

Luke Skywalker heads a mission int
Siria
Jun 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mr Williams and Mr Dix: epithets are our friends; good friends which, when used correctly, can make writing easier. But don't use them constantly, or you'll wear them out. Poor epithets! "Anakin's mother", "the middle-aged stateswoman", "the former rebel leader." See how tiring that is to read? See how it's possible just to use "Leia" instead? Trust me, it makes things a lot less, well... leaden.

Oh, and not having a character's internal monologue read "as he had thought in his earlier anal
Crystal Starr Light
The difference between reading this book and gouging out my eyes is slim

The Galactic Alliance is still in the nascent stages. Cal Omas sends Han, Leia, Jaina, and Jag off on their merry way to get communications back with disconnected planets. Meanwhile, Luke, Mara, Saba, Jacen, and Danni head out to the Imperial Remnant to finally drag them into the Galactic Alliance and to research on this living planet thing that apparently Vergere talked about last book.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

I h
Wade Schacht
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow, but had some interesting plotlines that will be great for continuation in future books. SPOILER ALERT - Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium terminated by a multi-colored god? Hmm.
Lindsey
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryan
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm reviewing the Force Heretic trilogy as a whole. This trilogy really felt like it was moving away from all of the build up that has been happening in the New Jedi Order series so far, which is strange considering it is almost at its conclusion. Most of the subplots followed in this trilogy suffered from poor pacing, and just didn't seem like they were contributing to the main story. The Nom Anor subplot was an unexpected highlight of this trilogy. With 3 novels (and significantly lengthier no ...more
Vee
I enjoyed General Admiral Gilad Pellaeon but I'll probably forget about him when I'm through with this series. So some one decided to flesh out Nom Anor, I'm surprised death did not claim him yet. Sigh. I have some reservations but this series but it is still fun.
Matthew Ashby
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Any scene with Pellaeon is good, but the New Jedi Order is back to dragging. This series has overstayed its welcome.
Katrin von Martin
Darryl Dobbs
Three very good storylines integral to the great war against the Yuuzhan Vong and each very interesting in their own right. However, each storyline was stretched out so that this duology could become a trilogy and the result was often a slow, plodding read. Not even Williams’ tried-and-true trick of switching storylines quickly could fix this, and in fact became annoying more often than not.
Luke, Mara and Jacen went off in search of Zonoma Sekot, the living planet described by Vergere in a recen
Angus
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Very slow book. The change in format to no chapters made it feel like it was dragging on and the slow writing style did not help.

I heard bad things about this trilogy and it sucks because I was a few books from the end of this 19+ novels plus side stories series and now I have to take time off Star Wars old canon to read something else. Everyone saying this trilogy should be a single book is right I can barely remember what went on it sat there on my night stand for over a year as I read other t
Seth
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the streak. Excited where it's going.
Frank Mikes
I'm not really sure why I wasn't really into this book. The writing was alright, there was plenty of action, the characters seemed to be on point, but it just didn't seem to have any oomph to it.

One of the problems may be is that it is several stories broken into one. The basic premise is that the main characters that we know break into two groups with Luke, Mara, Jason and a few others heading into the Imperial Remnant to start their search for a wandering planet. This planet was introduced by
Bradley
After a very long pause in the publication of new material in the New Jedi Order series, Sean Williams and Shane Dix bring us the first chapter of the Force Heretic trilogy, Remnant .

Aptly titled, most of this novel takes place in the Imperial Remnant, who has fallen under attack by the Yuuzhan Vong, and is very nearly destroyed. A large amount of the novel also revolves around Nom Anor, as he struggles for survival in the under levels of Yuuzhan'tar, previously known as Coruscant.

Overall imp
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point the long-running New Jedi Order series had reached a familiar pattern. Every book of major importance would be followed by a book of equal unimportance. Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 9) was followed by Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 10), and now Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, Book 14) is followed by Remnant, the first book in Sean Williams and Shane Dix's Force Heretic trilogy (and 15th book overall in the NJO series).

After winn
Jeff
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
In this book, you really start to tell that the end is near for the New Jedi Order series. The story reminds me a little bit of The Two Towers - you have had a cadre of characters doing things together up to that point, but they are now fragmented and having their own adventures now. This is, I believe vital to the overall story. I won't go into everything that is going on now, but suffice to say that at this point in the series, things are beginning to come together for the big finish.

The writi
Darth
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two letters describe this book. P U
This book stunk.

So many of the other Star Wars Expanded Universe books have been so good - but this is another in a long string of stinkers. Hardly any character development, not much in the way of story line - I have a hard time seeing how this ever got printed. Only one badly wriiten battle scene, and in trying to cover every character in the universe, this managed to do very little to build on the history or lore of any.

I already have the rest of the New Je
Ryan
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This book was an interesting read in a lot of ways, but it's 15 books into a 19 book long series, so if you haven't been following it, the rest of this might not make a lot of sense to you. First was that in it we see further development of the "Jeedai heresy" amongst the Yuuhzang Vong, and learn a bit more about their cultural values. On top of that we see the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic start to work together, and we see the appearance of one of my favourite science fiction ideas: th ...more
William
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, paperback
I should start by saying that I basically know how NJO is going to end, but of course this book was first published some 9 years ago, and the story has leaked out a bit. Despite that knowledge, I felt Williams & Dix wrote a credible beginning to this mini-trilogy that establishes 3 separate storylines, each which feels like it could lead up the the penultimate ending for the series.
First Luke & Mara are off to find the living planet, Zonoma Sekot at the behest of the recently deceased J
Aric
Apr 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Bad Style. Bad Execution. Bad Plot.

Wow co-authors and they both somehow thought that it would be a good idea to write a 400 page book divided into 4 parts with no chapters... The book is hard to read, lacks action, and contains many scenes that do little or nothing to further plot or character development. I really wish I could just skip this book and get on with the series.

Waaaaaayyyyyy too much exposition.

Just a really poor excuse for a Star Wars novel. Think of it this way: you've read 14 NJ
Kim
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading The New Jedi Order years ago, as it was being released. I plowed through the first fourteen novels, then when I made it here, I left off somewhere in the middle. Years later, I decided to reread the whole series and finish it this time. Same thing happened. I reached this point, and I just sort of...stopped.

Now, years after that, I said I was GOING to finish this series. I read synapses of the first fourteen on the Star Wars wiki, and I jumped straight into this novel. You kno
Daniel
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's some good moments and ideas in here: the beginnings of a search for a mythical, sentient planet; Admiral Pellaeon being boss; strange happenings with Tahiri; Nom Anor running around deep inside Coruscant; the Imperial remnant's interior struggles.

But overall, this book is slower than it should be. It juggles a few too many characters, which wouldn't be a problem, except it could've been easier to follow.

A few brilliant moments keep its rating up, though. Particularly Gilad Pellaeon shout
Rusty
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Church
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Holy crap this was painful. I'm so sick of this series. Every installment is about some random new mission culminating in a big space battle using the same tricks and tactics as before and every time I care less and less. Oh so this one had two big space battles happening simultaneously at the end? But it didn't have chapters! It was a chore to read. Not like it was bad writing it was just uninspired and uninteresting and I kept finding myself wondering why the hell all this detail and stuff was ...more
Sean Neprud
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cloud-city
I wasn't expecting too much out of this trilogy of books, I imagined it would be a sort of "filler" before the last two books of the NJO. I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

The beginning was slow, and the first 100 pages took a bit of work to get through. After the setting and situations were established, the book got going for me. I liked this book as much as I did because because it kept the focus on the characters, rather than just the plot. Jacen, Jaina, Jag, Tahiri,
Mark
My imagined version of a production meeting for this book:

"Hey, who haven't we seen for a while?"
"The Empire hasn't shown up for like three years! Let's get them back in on this."
"Yeah, and right when the new Galactic Alliance sends all the heroes as their envoys, they get there just in time to save the Imperials from a sudden Yuuzhan Vong attack!"
"Yeah, and it turns out that the Yuuzhan Vong have been wiping out incommunicado planets left and right!"
"Hey, what about that planet from that one pr
Adam
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a break from NJO before reading this book and coming back to the series I realized a few things, good and bad, about the series as a whole.

Good:
Continuity.
Having this much time for the audience to get to know these characters allows for more complex interconnections.

All-encompassing.
A series of this length makes it possible to connect many diverse parts of the SW EU into one. From the Yevetha of Black Fleet Crisis to the two-timing of the Hapans.

Getting to know the bad guys.
One of my big
Kayla
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been so long now since I read it that I don't remember anything specific about this particular novel in the series. Usually, I can look at the title or cover and be reminded of what went on in that particular story, but this series -in fact, most of the post-ESB-dated stories- have titles and covers that are not related to their stories.

Regarding this series, specifically, I thought it was dragged out too long. I get that Lucas wants to make a lot of money, but he could have done a kick-as
Jesse
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, starwars
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never ...more
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This felt like more of a functional title - one that had to move the story forward in terms of the overall plot but didn't quite excel on its own merits. Plus it's the first of a mini-trilogy so it has the challenges of being the beginning of an arc. But still, a good book and it's always nice to see the Imperials active again.
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Revelation (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #8)
#1 New York Times bestselling Sean Williams lives with his family in Adelaide, South Australia. He’s written some books--forty-two at last count--including the Philip K. Dick-nominated Saturn Returns, several Star Wars novels and the Troubletwister series with Garth Nix. Twinmaker is a YA SF series that takes his love affair with the matter transmitter to a whole new level. You can find some relat ...more
More about Sean Williams...

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Vector Prime (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #1)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Jedi Eclipse (Agents of Chaos, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #5)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
“The diffeence between a fake death and a real one is slim.

Mara”
1 likes
“Falling afoul of an ambush while simply trying to help someone. It seems like such an inglorious way to die.
I don't think there are necessarily any good ways to die Jaina.

Jaina Jag”