Start by marking “Joy to the Worlds” as Want to Read:
Joy to the Worlds

Read Book

Joy to the Worlds

What do you get when you mix mystery and speculative fiction, then toss in the holidays for good measure? A mobster Santa, genetic hanky-panky, Victorian villages, time-travelling detectives, Krampus, eerie bell spirits, and more–this collection of short cross-genre fiction is the perfect counterpoint to traditional holiday reading!

This collection stars four authors, each
Published December 1st 2015 by Grey Sun Press

To ask other readers questions about Joy to the Worlds, please sign up.
Raven Oak It's a collection of short stories by four authors. There are 8 stories total (2 by each author). The stories range from older times to futuristic as…moreIt's a collection of short stories by four authors. There are 8 stories total (2 by each author). The stories range from older times to futuristic as all the stories are either a mystery/fantasy cross-genre story or a mystery/sci-fi cross-genre. (less)

Tarina Deaton
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
***ARC provided by San Francisco Book Review in exchange for an honest review***

Synopsis
Joy to the Worlds brings together four talented authors and eight phenomenally written short stories. Centered around a holiday theme, each author takes the reader on an imaginative ride into the ‘what-if’.

Wild Hunt - Tyson Wallenstein, newest member of the Wild Hunt sets out to track down a supernatural murderer whose weapon of choice is mistletoe.

Escape From Old Yorktown - A hijacked president’s son, old-
Jesikah Sundin
I'll be honest, I don't usually read holiday-themed books. But this collection of speculative fic themed mysteries was just too much fun to pass up. No regrets! Each story is carefully crafted around a Christmas folktale or tradition and range from mischievous pixies, the undead who ring bells and steal souls, to a space opera mob Santa, and a "Fallout"-like world with a heist-solving library assistant suffering from prohenteriariosis. I especially enjoyed the forwards and epilogues, written by ...more
Conrad Zero
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joy to the Worlds is a delightful collection of eight Holiday-Season-Themed Speculative Fiction stories written by four authors.

Maia Chance, Janine A. Southard, Raven Oak and G. Clemans serve up an entertaining variety of dark fiction, science fiction, mystery and fantasy stories to spice up your holiday season! Santa in space! Supernatural murder-mystery solved by the undead! Time travel! Krampus!

Quality of the stories range from average to excellent, but overall a very enjoyable read.

Detailed
Jeanette
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-readers
A review will be written shortly.
Janine Southard
Dec 01, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I'm in it (twice!), so I'm biased. But I like it... esp the Krampus tale by Maia Chance.
Elke
Wild Hunt (Janine Southard)
My least favourite story of the collection, but it's always a good thing to finish that one first - this way it can only get better ;) For the most time I was confused about what was going on and why. Even after finishing I had more questions left than answers. I didn't get the concept and origin of the Hunt and hunters - where did they come from, why did they exist etc. Also, I could not figure out a reason for the murder other than to show off an original MO, but tha
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Grey Sun Press for providing me with a free ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an open and honest review.

Christmas time is almost upon us, I’m a dyed in the wool speculative fiction/ urban fantasy fan… how could I not find this group of short stories enjoyable?

Yes, as with any anthology, some of the tales were more a miss with me than a hit… but the overall selection was good and made for an enjoyable read.

‘Joy to the Worlds’ is a compilation of little snippets
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A solid collection of fantasy and sci-fi jaunts that will leave you with a strangely satisfying Christmassy feeling.

The stories in Joy to the Worlds range from a murder mystery featuring the Wild Hunt to a YA offering that proves Christmas decorating can be deadly, via an intergalactic, political thriller set in a historical theme park and a cautionary tale about theft and the Krampus. There’s also St Ni
W. Tinkanesh
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this well written anthology, the readers will find criminal pixies, intergalactic conspiracies, Schnapps, spaceships, time travel, murders, zombies, magic, and Victorian hysteria. Stories will sound like hard-boiled detectives, curses, myths, traditions, old word, revolutions, satires, and much more, sometimes in unexpected places. In most of them, the authors will make the readers run.

I enjoyed the snow present in most stories. Each tale captivated me in their own way, but two stood out more
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joy to the Worlds is a collection of 8 stories, 2 each by 4 authors: Maia Chance, Janine A. Southard, Raven Oak, and G. Clemans.The stories are a mashup of either Science Fiction and Mystery or Fantasy and Mystery. Each story has its strengths. And unlike many anthologies, I found that I pretty much enjoyed all of them. A couple of the stories had a little bit of a YA feel to them, but overall I think this anthology appeals most to adults.

I had previously only read one novel by Maia Chance, Come
Sharon
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When this book crossed my path I was excited. I love dark speculative fiction, the cover is great and here are four new to me authors to try. I wasn't disappointed. There are eight tales (two by each author) and they are all fantastical, dark and unique. The blurb covers how diverse this collection is. One touch I really enjoyed was the inclusion of a quick intro to each story by one of the other authors, and then a closing paragraph by the author about how their story came about.

All the storie
Elizabeth
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like having something new to read for the holidays and I liked the tone of the anthology. I felt a few of the authors assumed the reader had a background in European myths (The Wild Hunt) Otherwise, all the stories were full of charm and a few fun twists.
Krista
Had to return to library due to holds, but the 2 stories I read (Escape from Yorktown and Odysseus Flax and the Krampus) were fantastic. I don't love space opera type stories, so I skipped the first story, but I think this will become an addition to my annual Christmas book reads.
Armando Negron
Joy to the Worlds is a collection of short stories that in sort way connect with the holidays. We get to travel in space, time, and the incredible, from the perspective of four different authors that brings a great degree of freshness to the book. While some of the stories stand on their own as great storytelling, they are so different that there is hardly a connection between them.

Because of this I have broken up my review into the different stories in the book. Definitely fun to read while en
Mindi Welton-Mitchell
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable anthology! Each story was fairly different but my favorite was Raven Oak's Old St. Nick. A great space mystery! All the stories are linked to the winter holidays. Some are humorous, others are creepy, but it's an overall fun read.
Andrea
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
A few stories in, I had to check if this collection was self published (surprisingly, it's not). The stories themselves were alright, but the whole collection was in desperate need of a better editor. The acknowledgements call their editor the "Grammar Chick," which suggests she did little more than fix up spliced sentences... these stories needed something more critical. I would put the writing quality at the level of your average unbeta'd fanfiction work.

My least favorite (Wild Hunt) seemed t
Caragh
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, lter, short-stories
Note: I received this book as part of librarythings early reviewers in exchange for an honest review.

Thoroughly mediocre collection, sometimes dipping down into the 'good effort' range of grading. There were one or two glimmers of interesting concepts, but the execution and plot were pedestrian and predictable. I haven't read any of the authors before, and I can safely say I'm not going to search any of them out now.

Raven Oak
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm in it twice so of course I like it. My favorite story in it is probably Maia Chance's story "Mr. & Mrs. Mistletoe," which reminds me of shows like The Jetsons and games like Fallout 3/4 because it's science fiction with a retro or 1950's slant.
Arlene Arredondo
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Joy to the Worlds is a compilation of short stories from very different genres that only have in common that something is related to Christmas. Its enjoyable in some ways, a story more than other, it depends on the view you take on the characters and the plot.
Note: I received a digital copy free from Netgalley for review purposes.
Ann
Nov 01, 2015 rated it liked it
8 short stories, 4 authors have written a very unusual collection of Christmas stories. Unconventional settings, and time frames make for stories you either like or not. Not my favorite book on Christmas but science fiction fans will probably eat this book up.
Tutut Triyastutik
i want to read for this book. because i think this book is very important for me
Amanda
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
2015 BookRiot #ReadHarder Challenge, TASK #4: A book published by an indie press.

I.O.U. Review
Dec 02, 2015
Frances Stewart
Jan 31, 2019
Ted
rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2015
Ann-Marie
Nov 01, 2015
  • Billy Lovecraft Saves the World
  • The Ratastrophe Catastrophe (The Illmoor Chronicles, #1)
  • SUPERPOWERED: Are YOU a Superhero or Supervillain? (Click Your Poison, #3)
  • Mistletoe Mysteries
  • In the Graveyard Antemortem
  • Not So Much, Said the Cat
  • The Ripple Effect (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary E-Shorts, #7)
  • Livingstone, Vol. 1 (Livingstone, #1)
  • Help Fund my Robot Army!!! & Other Improbable Crowdfunding Projects
  • The Shadow Garden (Nightfall Gardens, #2)
  • The Three Sisters (Krampus Chronicles, #1)
  • Broken Branch Falls
  • How to Outsmart a Billion Robot Bees
  • Blind Servitude
  • An Import of Intrigue (The Maradaine Constabulary, #2)
  • Bells, Spells, and Murders (Witch City Mystery #7)
  • The Birth of Kitaro