Jump to ratings and reviews

The Countdown Conspiracy

Ambassador, you are go for launch in T- minus 5…4…3…2….

Miranda Regent can’t believe she was just chosen as one of six kids from around the world to train for the first ever mission to Mars. But as soon as the official announcement is made, she begins receiving anonymous threatening messages…and when the training base is attacked, it looks like Miranda is the intended target. Now the entire mission—and everyone’s lives—are at risk. And Miranda may be the only one who can save them.

336 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Katie Slivensky

2 books65 followers
Katie Slivensky is the critically acclaimed author of middle grade sci-fi adventures, The Countdown Conspiracy and The Seismic Seven. She is a professional science educator and enthusiast who has worked in zoos and museums since age 11. Her love of learning has resulted in a lifetime of adventures, including helping separate fighting rhinos, falling down a cliff in search of fossils, flying an astronaut through the solar system (the astronaut was real, the solar system was a simulation), nursing a stranded baby mouse back to health, creating million-volt lightning bolts while standing just an inch away, and handling feisty alligators. She is a firm believer that science and adventure are for everyone, and that kids have a lot to teach adults about how to save the world.

Katie grew up in Michigan and currently lives just outside Boston with her family, including her two absurd cats, Galileo and Darwin. She has science degrees from the University of Michigan and Stony Brook University. She is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 82 reviews
Profile Image for Kathy Martin.
3,292 reviews73 followers
July 7, 2017
In this near future science fiction story, six kids from around the world are chosen to train for an up-coming mission to Mars. The kids and the space program to get them to Mars is an effect of a fragile peace that exists. Not everyone is happy with the peace or happy that Miranda has been chosen from the United States. Many people feel that she was chosen as a political gesture rather than for her talents.

When Miranda learns this, it causes her to doubt herself and he constant low ranking among the six trainees reinforces her doubts. Her most persistent rival is Anna. She and Anna tied in a previous science competition and Anna hasn't gotten over not being first. Miranda underestimates herself though. She is a talented engineer who has built her own supercomputer robot that she calls Ruby. She doesn't give up but decides that she will just work harder to learn what she doesn't already know.

When disaster strikes on a training mission, the kids have to all work together and use all their skills to get back to Earth and defeat the villain that engineered the disaster. Each of the kids had distinct personalities and talents which added to the excitement of this story.

The story is very realistic. The author's note talks about the author's research and the author's interest in spaceflight and space exploration.
Profile Image for A.C. Gaughen.
Author 6 books1,838 followers
May 12, 2017
THIS. BOOK. IS. AMAZING!!!

Miranda is one of six cadets chosen to go to Mars as part of an international peace-keeping initiative, and she joins her charming, intriguing cast of fellow cadets at the training center to start the six-year training to prepare for their journey.

On their way to the training site, robotics expert Miranda--and her fellow cadets--suffer a series of attacks that escalate through the novel, and the cadets have to figure out who is behind them and how to protect not only their lives, but also their mission and the tenuous international peace.

So what really impressed me about this book (aside from the science, which is engrossing and interesting, even as a non-sciencey adult) was how the author totally WENT THERE. I can't say too much without revealing spoilers, but this is a gutsy, flawless, skillful plot that happily puts these kids in the worst imaginable situation--and proves that kids can absolutely rise to the occasion.

It's hard to believe this is Slivensky's debut novel. Loved it!
Profile Image for Ms. B.
2,797 reviews35 followers
July 16, 2019
A science fiction page turner. Six young headstrong tweens and teens from around the world, Matsuo, Esteban, Najma, Miranda, Rahim and Anna, are selected to be the first to live on the planet Mars. Before they even make it to the training center to prepare for their mission, their lives are being threatened. Not everyone wants to see the mission succeed. Who could possibly want their mission to fail? Miranda and her fellow astronauts will not only need to learn the ins and outs of space travel, they will need to learn to get along and put their egos aside if they are to survive.
Fans of books like Marie Lu's Warcross series or Kevin Sylvester's MINRS series will enjoy this one.
Profile Image for Dayla.
2,025 reviews201 followers
July 28, 2017
I received a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky was a middle grade book that completely took me off guard. Most of the middle grade books I've read have had some kind of moral for the reader, but this one had a stronger effect on me because of how well it was written. This author played my emotions like an experienced musician. Through character development, twist and turns, sometimes tear-inducing storytelling, and intelligent and well-informed writing, this novel definitely stood out for me as a must read for MG readers.

The crew of six kids are a multicultural group that have to learn and grow in their new and challenging environment. Miranda, the protagonist, is the too-literal smart American pick that sets the world into turmoil. Her constant questioning of her skills mirrors that of how the world might see her. Man, I connected hard with Miranda. The poor kid had so many moments of self-doubt that it actually made my heart break for her over and over again. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be thirteen, separated from your family, and struggling to just keep yourself afloat. Her struggles, internally and externally, are what gave this book more depth. Her character made the situation feel more relatable, even if the context was something that perhaps none of us will ever experience.

TCC is set shortly after a war that resulted in a treaty for world peace. The constant change in the political climate revolving the Mars program and the kids is shown as a background issue for the most part, but the idea that it exists whether the characters address it or not is still important. The occasional mention of the tumultuous relationships between counties was a reminder of our own current state and how even if we have "worldwide peace", it doesn't mean that we will be peaceful. This might have been an unintentional correlation, but it worked really well into the story since the political tones may or may not play into the plot of the story (no spoilers from me, tyvm).

The beginning was a bit slower with the pacing, but I didn't mind since it allowed me to become fully invested in Miranda's story. She was just really well written to the point where you wish you could reach through the pages and hug her. But despite all of her hardships, the character growth added dimension to all of the characters. In stories like this one where a group of kids are preparing for a mission, it's really easy to lose a character or two to the plot. In TCC, however, every character gets a character growth moment, whether it's big or small.

One last thing I want to mention is Ruby.

She was a genius concept for this story and it made me feel even more invested with Miranda's story. Ruby was both a coping mechanism and Miranda's best friend, which makes her such an important part of this novel. Their friendship was absolutely adorable and I just...Ruby has my heart.

I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who likes Sci-fi novels with smart and sassy characters and a unique spin on the "kids getting ready for a mission" trope.

Happy reading!
Profile Image for Ben Gartner.
Author 4 books356 followers
October 12, 2022
What I loved most about this book was all the hard science. I appreciate a good middle grade book that doesn't talk down to the audience and this is certainly one of those! The specifics may likely challenge readers, but they will love every minute of it. I'm sure the science and engineering discussed will spawn research into the details. Awesome.

Besides the science, this is an edge-of-your-seat adventure. The first half is a bit more of a slow burn as we get to know the characters and the world, but there is also a mystery wrapped up in the plot to push it along. And it's good we come to be invested in the characters because about halfway through is when the stakes take a rocket boost of epic proportions and the nail-biting thrills really ratchet up to 11. I finished this book quickly because of that.

One trigger warning: One instance of the word "bastard," after which the kids acknowledge it's a swear word.

I will definitely be reading more by this author!
Profile Image for crashqueen73.
1,229 reviews11 followers
September 14, 2021
3.5 stars.

I read this aloud as a class read this term. It started quite slow and was fairly hard to get into and I have to admit I did consider giving this up without making it half way. It was dragging and I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of class engagement.

However, we were put into lockdown for four weeks of the term so I determined to continue reading it for those that were invested. The last half of the book was much better and I don't know if that was because I didn't have to consider those that weren't enjoying it- because they could just choose not to listen and were no longer complaining about it- or if the book actually felt more interesting all of a sudden and those that were listening were very vocal about their engagement and need to hear more.

So overall a solid read but definitely not recommended as a read aloud.
Profile Image for Brenda.
822 reviews36 followers
Read
March 20, 2018
Opening Line: "Nearly every single person in this auditorium is wearing a T-shirt with my name emblazoned across the front."

The Countdown Conspiracy reads partially like a mystery and a school story while at the same time there is a political unrest going on in the world. I enjoyed the diversity in the team of kids. There are the dynamics of the classes that the crew take together, while there are also rivalries to get the best position, grades and favor of their instructors. Most of the emphasis is on Anna and Miranda not getting along, but also that maybe Sasha's position was stolen by Miranda on the team. A little more scientific than I was expecting, but I really enjoyed the action when their spacecraft is taken over and they have to work together to figure out how to divert themselves from going to Mars. You can see how much research went into the writing of this book to get the details of space travel and NASA type engineering as accurate as possible.
Profile Image for Stephanie Lucianovic.
Author 10 books57 followers
September 1, 2017
Welp, I started this last night at 8:00 and when I got to chapter three, I was all like, "Oh, I really like this. I'll be into this for awhile."

And then I finished it after midnight. I didn't WANT to read it all in one go, but then I did and OH MY GOD it is so good.

Being chosen from all over the world, seven kids start years-long training for a mission that will make them the first to go to Mars. During their training, they will be attacked and uncover evidence of a despicable conspiracy that will bring the planet back to the brink of a global war.

Don't start this book unless you are prepared not to move an inch until you finish it.
Profile Image for Nicole.
2 reviews
January 16, 2018
Incredibly written. Perfect for the space enthusiast. Easy, enjoyable read. Definitely stayed up late a few nights reading because I couldn’t put it down!
Profile Image for Debbi Florence.
Author 29 books168 followers
February 10, 2017
Miranda, age 13 and a high school graduate, is chosen as one of six kids for a mission to Mars. She is sent off to a base in Antarctica for intensive training where she meets her team, the brightest and best kids from around the world. But things don’t go as smoothly as she’d hoped – she and another girl don’t quite get along and Miranda struggles to keep up with the others in classes. After a series of attacks, Miranda must figure out what’s going on. She’s rebuilds her bot, an adorable companion named Ruby, and eventually gets the others to work with her, but it may be too late. This is an amazing page-turning adventure, and I was rooting for Miranda all the way!
Profile Image for Sara-Zoe Patterson .
746 reviews8 followers
September 5, 2017
Good scifi - decent characters, interesting plot, close enough to the near future that the world building and tech doesn't have to take up the whole book but cool enough tech to make it fun. Plenty of action, good pacing.
Profile Image for Heather.
Author 2 books174 followers
Read
April 22, 2017
So I'm not entirely unbiased in this review - I obviously love space and science (as I wrote a book about the same kinds of things) but this exceeded my hopes. Not only an amazingly-researched novel about ambitious, smart kids who are into robotics, engineering, and coding, but who want to do amazing things and push the boundaries of human ability. And it has so much heart. It was a non-stop ride from start to finish; kids who might get bored easily will have a hard time putting this one down. Even I was wondering how they were going to get out of the impossible situations they found themselves in. And I'll admit I teared up at the end.

Please, put this book into the hands of every child you know who is curious, who asks questions about the world, who loves to tinker and build and experiment, who loves the stars. The next generation of scientists, engineers, and astronauts needs this book, and we need them.
Profile Image for Becky B.
7,269 reviews91 followers
May 11, 2021
In the aftermath of a world war brought on by fights over asteroid mineral rights, a tenuous peace has finally been restored. And in an effort to build that worldwide community, a program is being developed to send the best of the best from all over to Mars. The competition has been intense. Just to apply the tweens and teens have had to pass rigorous physical and academic challenges. Now, the selection has finally been made, and Miranda Regent is thrilled to be one of the 6. As an American, she is the only candidate from one of the big countries that started the war the world is recovering from, and that doesn't make her super popular. In fact, as the cadets move to Antarctica (neutral ground) and training goes on it becomes more and more clear someone is actually trying to kill her. With that on top of the fact that she's struggling in the classes and always seems to be the last to finish quizzes and assignments, Miranda is starting to wonder if she belongs. But when something goes horribly wrong during what was supposed to be a routine liftoff simulation, Miranda and the other 5 cadets must find out if they can work together and apply what they know to save their lives and the lives of many others on Earth.

Though this book is narrated from Miranda's perspective, it really does do quite a good job of building the characters of all the 6 astronauts in training. There's Tomoki the hotshot solar racer from Japan who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips, there's quiet but steady Rahim from Afghanistan, there's the bubbly Estaban from Peru who is everyone's friend, there's Anna from Austria who has a major thing against Miranda because they tied at a robotics competition and only first is acceptable in Anna's eyes, and there's Najma from Kenya who is possibly the world's best coder. The first half of the book is watching the cadets figure out their relationships and learning the skills they need to go to Mars. And adjusting to life on Antarctica. (I liked the setting!) The second half of the book sees them dealing with a major emergency that requires them to put all their skills and their personal relationships to the test. Once I got to that halfway point I could not put the book down again. There's a very solid mystery involved in the plot of this. Who is out to get Miranda and why, and the author kept me guessing, which I liked. It was well done, and the other reason I tore through the second half of the book. Overall, I felt like it was a great balance of character growth and development, and a well done mystery with very exciting elements. Hand this to readers who like reading about smart kids, astronaut training and space adventures, and page-turner mysteries.

Notes on content: One minor swear. No sexual content. There's some very serious and life-threatening situations involved in the plot. Some explosions do kill and wound people (off page), and the violence of the past war is mentioned.
Profile Image for Alexandra Ott.
Author 5 books72 followers
February 19, 2017
I had so much fun reading this book! It's fast-paced and thrilling, with such a great cast of characters. The twists and turns kept me guessing until the end. Highly recommend for anyone who loves science, space missions, robots, and fun adventures!
Profile Image for Maddie.
482 reviews11 followers
February 14, 2018
A very engaging character-driven sci-fi book. Miranda is a great main character and I loved the supporting cast. There were SO many times I FELT for Miranda and her friends as they worked towards their goal to become Mars astronauts. I loved Weir's The Martian and this felt to be in a very similar vein - not only because of the similar missions but because of the range of characters.

Disclaimer: I did go to high school with the author but have not spoken to her since graduation and was psyched to pick this up at the bookstore.

Also this would be a great #Readharder2018 novel for a sci fi novel with a female protagonist written by a female author!
Profile Image for Robin King.
Author 4 books129 followers
January 8, 2018
Out of all the middle grade books I've read in the last year, this was by far my favorite. From the contemporary setting to the geeky science references to the crazy unexpected adventure, I think this book reaches a wide audience (boys and girls) and would be very enjoyable as a read aloud in a classroom setting or parents reading to kids. I have to admit that all the cool stuff I learned about being an astronaut made me want to become one!
Profile Image for Lorie Barber.
557 reviews36 followers
December 9, 2017
You. Yes. YOU RIGHT THERE READING THIS. Stop reading this and GO READ The Countdown Conspiracy instead. You will LOVE the action, the characters, the plot twists, and the HEART. I have never typed so much of a review in all-caps IN MY LIFE. Trust me. Buy it. Read it. Love it. Share it.
I'd give it all the stars in all the constellations if I could.
Profile Image for Michele Knott.
3,508 reviews155 followers
July 14, 2017
I did not know anything about this story before I read it, but now that I have, I want to tell everyone I know to read this book. Incredible action, hold your breath suspense, fantastic science fiction. Make sure this book is on your shelf!
Profile Image for Erin Varley.
99 reviews12 followers
September 12, 2017
Constant action, relatable characters, science jargon, what more could you want? Kids will love the six Mars Cadets and will quickly count them as friends. But there is something evil afoot. With a twist you won't see coming, Miranda and her teammates are in for the ride of their lives.
Profile Image for Ruth Lauren.
Author 3 books110 followers
March 6, 2017
Totally engaging, high-octane, non stop action and fun from this middle grade sci-fi debut. If you like page turners with high stakes and/or seeing girls in STEM then read this!
Profile Image for Holly.
679 reviews24 followers
February 25, 2018
I ended up enjoying this little adventure, but any children's book that takes 100 pages for me to be interested in, is a really tough sell.
Profile Image for Robin.
800 reviews7 followers
April 13, 2018
Miranda Regent is 13, and she's going to Mars. I know! That's crazy, right? It's as preposterous as spy kids, a school for wizards, and a family of sparkly vampires, right? Where could this happen except in a world invented by a Young Adult author? Well, once you visit the world invented by this Young Adult author, the possibility starts to seem more like an inevitability. For one thing, peace has finally returned after a decade-long world war over who owns the swag brought home from an international asteroid-mining operation. The U.S. has come out of it smelling pretty bad. So a lot of eyebrows are raised when this girl from Ohio wins one of six spots in a program to train kids for a Mars mission specifically limited to those born after the conflict began.

Does she really deserve to be there, or did the U.S. pull strings to get her in? Even Miranda herself doesn't know, which makes it harder for her when she has to struggle to keep up with her fellow cadets at an international base in Antarctica. At least one of her classmates is pretty open about not wanting her to be there. And someone involved in the program apparently feels pretty strongly about it, too, considering the series of attempts on Miranda's life, starting from Day One of her training. Miranda feels increasingly isolated, especially after an attempt on her life kills two innocent people and causes the cadets' first leave to visit home to be canceled. Then her best friend Sasha, who almost made it into the program, falls off the planet and stops answering Miranda's texts. Pretty soon, she has no one to talk to except her pet robot Ruby, with whom she spends countless hours working on the spaceplane that the kids are supposed to take to Mars someday.

Then comes the day of the practical exam, a launch simulation, when everything goes totally pear-shaped. Thanks to a brilliant saboteur working within the program, the astro-kids face an ordeal of survival in which Miranda's engineering skills will play a crucial role.

Katie Slivensky, whose previous book The Seismic Seven depicted a group of kids racing to stop a super-volcano from erupting in Yellowstone National Park, evidently did a lot of research for this book, and it paid off. This is a terrific adventure that I think could get a lot of kids excited about the space program - any space program, not just the U.S. one. Perhaps even more importantly, it explores the feelings of a brilliant young person who finds herself struggling to meet expectations and being tested by adversity, with seemingly everyone against her and no one for her when it really counts. How she overcomes this, without becoming bitter or giving up, is an inspiring thing to behold.
Profile Image for BlipBlop.
91 reviews2 followers
March 20, 2019
**Spoiler-free!**

I really, REALLY liked this book. It was a page-turner for me, from start to finish.

Countdown Conspiracy begins with the world still suffering the after-effects of the last World War. They don't tell you why the War started - just that it did, and it's over. Miranda is one of the world's most intelligent children. Graduated high school at 13, can solve complex math problems in her head, and has even created her own mechbot, Ruby, from scratch. She's gathered in her school's gym to watch NASA announce the winners of the 10-years Mars mission.

There will be a select number of children (picked because they were born after the war ended, and not influenced by it. There will be one child for every huge country, and Miranda is chosen from America.

She sets off on her journey to start training for ten years - you didn't think they'd send kids into space, do you? The children get to work together to learn how to be astronauts, and even work on building their own spaceship, the Ambassador, together.

But thing start going wrong. There are sudden terrorist attacks, and even a failed assassination attempt. The world does not want these children to make amends. The world wants another World War.

Summary aside, this is a gripping read. I loved Miranda. She earnestly wants to go to space, alongside the other children. She's smart, sure, but there's one thing genius-children have difficulty doing - empathizing with other people and their circumstances. Every kid has rough moments trying to get the "team" to work. They're teenagers, hormones created power imbalances, people develop crushes on each other - but that's all a back plot, believe it or not. This book is not "we need to romance each other because we're kids" or "we need to butt heads because we're character archetypes"

They were KIDS. the young voice in this book is strong, and I really adored it. The characters are all relatable, and even though they didn't all get enough screen time, I wanted to read more about them.

The science in this book is top-notch, too.

And that ending scene made me cry.

Damn hunk of rock.

;=;

10/10 please read!
1,069 reviews7 followers
February 18, 2018
My name is Miranda, and I’m the American cadet training for an international mission to Mars. However, Esteban and I were attacked on our way to the Antarctic training site; why would anyone want to kill us? As time has gone on, it seems apparent that we were not the targets; I am the one the assassins want dead. I'm trying to immerse myself in training, but the classes are really hard. I've never struggled with anything before. We've started practical exams in the spaceplane, and I'm feeling better actually doing something. The first exam was interrupted by an exploding helicopter outside the hanger, but I thought the new exam would go well. All of the cadets felt ready, but none of us expected the simulation to be so real. Now, our lives depend on focusing on our individual strengths and working together as a team.

This book is a finalist for the 2017 Cybils Book Award in Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. It was a science fiction version of six talented kids facing problems created by world conflict. Miranda was a robotics expert who experienced failure for the first time in her life. The other characters had their own special talents, and their support for Miranda varied over time. Miranda's self-confidence wavered, but I liked how she was able to persevere. The conflicts grew throughout the plot until the characters found themselves fighting for their lives. They were forced to set aside their differences and self-doubt in order to work as a team. The hero supporting the efforts was Ruby, Miranda's hand-built robot. It became her sidekick, kind of like a loyal dog. The spidery bot was able to perform difficult and dangerous tasks the humans could not, and made a human-like sacrifice in the end. The book addressed world politics and the fragility of maintaining peace. This was a central focus to the plot, and the action and mystery made it especially entertaining. It's definitely worthy of being considered the outstanding speculative fiction novel of 2017.
Profile Image for Mary Zemina.
137 reviews18 followers
August 14, 2017
I've been waiting over two years for this book. The wait was worth it.

This was tons of fun. I loved Miranda's geeky inner monologue, especially her habit of doing mental math whenever she's nervous. It's a really unique way of conveying her emotions and it stuck with me throughout the whole book. Miranda felt like a real kid. A child prodigy, for sure, but not in the way that kid geniuses are usually portrayed. She was intelligent, one of the most intelligent people in the world, but she still felt way out of her league when faced with other kids who were just as smart as she was. The other kids on the Mars Mission team felt just as real. Tomoki and Esteban were exactly as easily excitable (Esteban) and fond of stoking their own ego (Tomoki) as I remember many of my male classmates being in middle school. It was really entertaining, as were the interpersonal conflicts whenever the kids butted heads. As middle- and young highschoolers, they sure as heck knew how to play the petty game well--and yes, that is a compliment.

I really only have two small issues preventing this from being a full five stars--namely that the relationship development could have been a bit better. Miranda's friendship with her robot Ruby is a huge element of her character and of the second half of the story. However, Ruby spends almost the entire first half of the book disassembled while Miranda is upgrading her hardware, and there aren't very many scenes with her in them before the climactic last quarter of the book. For how important Ruby ends up being to solving the plot, I really do think she should have been more present. Similarly, I think Miranda's friendship with Najma could have had a bit more focus. I liked that they bonded quickly, but I felt that overall it was a distant element, and could have benefitted from an additional scene or two that focused on it.
Profile Image for Katie Lawrence.
1,388 reviews21 followers
January 23, 2018
What a unique book! Great diversity, wonderful STEM details and tons of action! Miranda was a believable character who worked through some incredibly difficult situations and emotions. I loved that Katie Slivensky wrote at length about the research she did for this book! How wonderful for young readers to see how much work she put in to making this fictional story as accurate as possible. The concept of 6 teens being selected to train for 9 years, then be sent to Mars, was an exciting one. It was great to see the team come together, even though some of them despised each other! It was awesome that Miranda was an engineer and the details about her work with Ruby, her robot, was a great inclusion. I did find myself wishing I could know a bit more about the other characters at times. Tomoki in particular came off as really one-dimensional. Esteban was developed really well and Miranda shared some nice moments with Anna, Najma and Rahim too. Overall this was extremely fun, with complex situations and a team to root for! I can't wait to recommend this!
Profile Image for Emma.
123 reviews19 followers
January 12, 2018
This book is definitely going to be my go-to middle grade recommendation from now on. You should probably pick up a copy even if you don't have a middle grade reader in your life - because who doesn't want to read a heartfelt sci-fi adventure story?

I particularly enjoyed Slivenksy's near-future world-building and well-handled ensemble cast. She hits some complex emotional and interpersonal beats in what is primarily a plot-driven story. The book is exciting and well-paced, while still taking itself seriously: Slivensky's heroes are placed in real danger, their actions have repercussions, and they're allowed to cry when things go badly. Also, shout out to kid geniuses dealing with imposter syndrome, countering their fixed mindsets, and learning to value multiple intelligences.

Full disclosure, I guess: I work with the author at her day job and she is a rad human being. Now that I've read this book, I also know she's a phenomenal writer.
Profile Image for Yapha.
2,560 reviews70 followers
December 17, 2017
The AEM War has ended, and with the peace comes a worldwide effort to send astronauts to Mars. As such, six twelve to fourteen year olds are chosen from around the world to train as the first team of astronauts who will be going. Miranda, representing the United States, is beyond thrilled to be a part of the team. It soon becomes abundantly clear, however, that someone doesn't want her there. At their training base in Antarctica, the six must not only deal with the strenuous astronaut training and coursework, but also how to become a team of kids who once competed against each other. The dangers are real and becoming more present every day. This is a fantastic space thriller that will keep readers on the edge of their seats. Highly recommended for grades 4 & up.
Profile Image for Anna Crowley Redding.
Author 9 books43 followers
May 14, 2017
I loved THE MARTIAN. I mourned that book, that it was over, it was read, it was finished, it was time to move on, to let it go (or alternatively-read it again!). And then I pried open THE COUNTDOWN CONSPIRACY . . . and I totally LOVED IT. Steeped in math and science that reads as naturally as the characters pop off the page, this book is unputdownable. The sheer intellectual innovation and futurism that Slivensky infuses into this book is so very amusing and fun. And under deftly applied layers of adventure, mystery, and many an explosion––is a story about a group of young people trying to find their place in this world (and beyond). Very very well done.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 82 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.