Start by marking “Redemption River (Men of Mercy #1)” as Want to Read:
Redemption River (Men of Mercy #1)

Redemption River (Men of Mercy #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  812 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Hunter James didn’t want or need redemption.

Until one mission turns his world upside down.

He left Mercy to fight for his country and escape a broken heart. Years later, he is hard. Cold. A man without mercy. Part of an elite Task Force, he tracks a brutal terrorist to his home town. And runs into the woman who betrayed him…

Evangeline Videl was destroyed when Hunter left.
Published October 21st 2015 by Cypress Bend Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Redemption River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption River

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Second Chance Stars

*Spoilers*

photo picture1_zpsuxrbzqhi.gif

*I do want to take a moment to say there are some very graphic scenes in this book of physical abuse and domestic violence.*

"I want another chance, Evie. I know I don't deserve it, but I want it."

Redemption River is the 1st book in the Men of Mercy series and was action pact awesomeness. Dayum my weakness for yummy bad ass military men, this book, OMG, so many yummy sexy soldiers I was in heaven! I got the ARC of the second book in this series Resurrection River
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

She affected him, no matter how much he wished she didn't. Across a room. Across a country. Across a goddamn ocean.

There's parts that I loved, parts that I liked and things that were way too over the top. I need to gather my thoughts on this one...

This was a solid debut novel. The balance of romance and suspense was good and it's clear that the author has plenty of knowledge about the military world. The opening chapter alone had me gripping my kindle tight!

Adding in the element of a raging
Erika
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. I DO NOT PLAN TO READ THIS.

Auntee
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of romantic suspense with a military twist
I have to admit that I struggled a bit with the info dump (being a first book in a series and all) and it took me a while to get used to the author's writing style (lots of descriptive phrases like "...tasted as bitter as a hot Afghani beer" and "...voice rolled with enough menace to make Ted Bundy cringe". But once this book got rolling, I had a hard time putting it down.

Hunter James...
 photo 23e46558-e511-44bb-9e27-cac6355621c1_zpsphrcbp8a.jpg

There's plenty of small southern town 'atmosphere' in dirty little Mercy, Mississippi. The occupants all seem
Samantha
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 forgiveness sets the soul free and allows for the happiness lovers deserve stars. The premise of this book made me want to read it because I'm a sucker for hardcore military men and second chance romances. I found the story was okay but I wanted more and less feeling of a rush. I swear this story moved literally 100 miles per hour and left you with whiplash to end. I understand you have to develop a story over so many words and pages but there are definitely ways in which you can make it not ...more
Lady Heather
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance-suspense

"A copy of this book as been provided by Netgalley via the publisher in exchange for an honest review"

4.5 stars!

Warning: This book contains graphic physical, mental, and verbal abuse

Hunter James is a strong, loyal, dominate, smart character...except when it comes to Evie Videl. She's the only person he's ever loved and the only person who's broke his heart.

When Evie is suspected of buying and selling guns to an enemy of the State, Hunter is sent in to use his past relationship with her to bri
Bev
Miscommunication/misunderstandings need to be believable, sadly this wasn't the case here.

Also, they're on the run in the middle of a swamp, and a flood, with alligators and snakes and baddies chasing them (that doesn't include the mosquitoes that should have carried them away lol) and yet they have time to have sex (after been separated due to his crass stupidity and ignorance for FIVE YEARS) whilst all this is going on. Eye-rolling and too silly to be believed.
Lillian ᴥ Cloud 9 Books
***** 4 'Get into your pants' Stars *****

description

"He needed her to love him. To want him no matter where he was stationed. He needed someone to come home to."

This was a great beginning to a series. There's action, steamy romance, and some drama. The story does follow a romance formula where the the characters are a bit angry at each other. Then the hero falls in loves and saves the damsel in distress.

The story line was be a bit cliche, but the journey was exciting nonetheless. There is some abuse inv
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
"You are an idiot, Hunter James. I never wanted him. I wanted you. But you left."

Hunter James, part of an special elite Task Force, cunning, fierce, cold, daunting. A broken heart put him in the ranks in the military to forget about his painful love and to serve his country and protect it from terrorist attacks. Until one mission brought him back to the one who broke his heart.

Evangeline Videl, gorgeous, feisty, broken. The love of her life left her, and the one she replaced him with was a tot
Elizabeth Bennet
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC for my honest opinion. I knew immediately after reading the blurb that it was right up my alley. It had all my must haves and then some. First it's got a group of hot, powerful military men that are all good at what they do. It branches off into a loss of a fellow brother in arms which effects so many and follows them to their next mission. Hunter James lost his heart to Evangeline Videl years ago when she cheated on him or did she? She is also his next mission.

Evie is trying
Anuradha
How do these books get such high ratings? This did nothing for me. It read like a cheap Hollywood spy movie.

Book Him Danno
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I totally struggled with this book because it reminded me of another series by Lynn Raye Harris but lacked something to completely pull me into the book. I felt the story was written around Hunter and Evie having sex, thinking of sex or her beautiful mouth wrapped around his cock.
Hunter was too good to be true and Evie was just sometimes to damaged for my taste
The bad guys were bad and the readers cheer for their demise.I think I might have cheered a little at certain points in the book.
A lot a
Trish R.
Another OK read..

There’s 2 types of books that I’ve read again and again: 1) either the hero or heroine see the other kissing someone else and takes off for years, only to come back and find out they were wrong about what really happened, and 2) someone dies while on an op and there’s guilt, guilt and more guilt. Both Hunter and his brother Ranger wish they had died instead of the one who did (sorry, no spoilers here.) Really? This book had both kinds of stories.

And, of course, Evie just had to
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
I received an eARC of the book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story about second chances. A story about losing love and finding your way back to it!

Hunter and his team have to now go back to their past, to their town called Mercy. But more importantly, Hunter has to now step back to his past and the woman who destroyed his heart. Hunter isn’t looking forward to it, but he will do it, if it means doing the right thing.

Evangeline is a woman who has survived twice. Once
Angela
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Angela by: Netgalley
3.5 Stars

As a first book in the series there was definitely a ton of info that was provided in the first couple chapters, but I also felt that I was missing out on some stuff. I had to check and make sure that this wasn't a spin-off series at one point cause I was lost a few times. I can see where this series could really take off if things weren't so over the top. I liked this book enough to recommend it to friends, so we'll see what happens in future books. There were a couple things that were
Bette Hansen
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great romantic suspense read. Being the first in a new series there is a lot of information to absorb but the author keeps the story moving along at a fairly good pace. It's a story with a ton of action and suspense to keep the story interesting and let's not forget those yummy hot as hell military guys! What's not to like.

Hunter and Evie have a past. So when Evie is suspected of selling arms, Hunter is sent in to find out exactly what is going on. As Hunter and Evie reconnect, can Evi
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
This is book one in the Men of Mercy Series and what a great start to the series it is.

Hunter left his hometown after thinking that his girlfriend Evie cheated on him. This left an impact on both of them. Now he's back and the past catches up on them.

Have I mentioned Hunters a hot military guy? Oh yes :) I really liked these two and thought the secondary characters added so much to the story.

Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Mercedes
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good romantic suspense book.
The men of TF-S hot military men on a mission in Mercy.
Good drama,characters,angst and romance.
Hunter and Evie loved each other but something happened can they reconnect.
Is Hunter using her to complete his mission.
Enjoyed reading looking forward to the next Men of Mercy.
Received ARC in exchange for a honest review.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
The idea of this book was better than the actual book. I felt let down by the MC's. Misunderstanding/miscommunication that they held onto for so long just magically disappeared with a let's get married. I wanted the characters to discuss more so that my questions about the pair could be answered. Stick figure characters in terms of development.
XxTainaxX
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Second chances are one of my favorite tropes. Hunter and Evie must first go through some trials before they get their shot. Lots of emotion and good development. Good plot. Enjoyed this read!

**ARC received in exchange for an honest review**
Coral
How much I enjoyed it: 3/5
Coz
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 but I wanted it to be more Stars

I read the blurb of this book and expected to love it, hot military alpha comes back together with lost love who's been bruised in the time since they last met but I didn't love it and I can't put my finger on why exactly.

Maybe it's because it's the first book in the series so a lot of characters were introduced in a short space of time, some of whom only appear for a short space of time and don't seem to contribute to this story (such as Hunter's sister) but
maggieandteddy
I started this book. I read Chapter 1. A military task force looking for a terrorist group in Pakistan.
Then the(real life) terrorist attacks in Paris occurred. Uh oh. I stopped reading for a while. Too close to what was going on right now. I came back ...... Started reading again.
I actually liked the first chapter. Very well done. I read on. Hunter was part of the military task force. He was wounded and brought home to Mercy, Mississippi. To recover. To get intel on the domestic side of the ter
Jen
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read the full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Note: This ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Redemption River is the first novel in the Men of Mercy series from author Lindsay and is set in Mercy, Mississippi. This is a second chance love story between Hunter James and Evie Videl with large doses of action and suspense. This is the kind of book that makes it clear early on who the good guys and who the bad guys are, but that doesn't take away from the anticipat
Jennifer Jones
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author for my honest review.

After nearly getting killed in Pakistan, Hunter James returns home and is part of a Task Force to infiltrate his hometown that had turned dirty. The last thing he wanted was to face his ex-girlfriend Evie Videl, let alone get close to her again to gain intel on her new boyfriend, Marcus. She had cheated on him and was assisting these thugs. Yet as soon as he sees her, he knows that the last thing he can do is ever forget he
Diaries of 2 Thick Chicks
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Redemption River was one heck of a ride from the beginning down to the last chapter. Hunter James was fierce, heroic, dangerous, and all alpha male. When he sets his mind on a mission he executes it with stealth and finesse....that is until he's sent back to his home town on a mission to win the trust of his once lover and friend Evageline Videl.

Evie was the one that got away, the one that left Hunter with a broken heart which made him vow to never trust a woman again. When he discovers that al
Sparkymom
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first in a new series. Several characters ( the members of Hunter's task force team) are introduced right off the bat. They have a funny sense of humor and the team camaraderie reads very strong. After returning from a disastrous mission overseas, a connection is found in the U.S. linking back to the terrorist they had been tracking. Jake and his team are sent undercover back to his hometown where he is expected to get in with the suspect in any way possible. The only problem is ...more
Lucila ✨ not your feisty Latina ✨

To be fair, I started this knowing it probably wasn't my thing, but I have way too many books on my kindle and I need to start reading them so here we are. Redemption River is a debut novel and it shows, Cross writes in the third person and it felt sloppy and confusing. At the beginning every chapter followed a different character, five in total (even the heroine's mother) and the
Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I was preparing a blog tour promo post for this series and decided to read this first book to see if it was intriguing as it looked. I will admit, the action had me on the edge of my seat and the bad guys were truly, truly evil. The author had me wondering if our heroine, Evie, could trust anyone in her small town right up until almost the end. What I had issues with was the romance between Hunter and Evie.

These two had a lot of history. He thought she cheated. He leaves her in a h
Romantic Suspense: Award Winning Rom Suspense Giveaway Now! 1 5 Oct 26, 2015 07:56AM
  • Saving Sophie (The Bodyguards of L.A. County, #7)
  • Hate F*@k: The Complete Story (The Horus Group, #1-3)
  • His Young Queen (Steel Jackals MC, #1)
  • Wild Encounter
  • Falling for Danger (Capital Confessions, #3)
  • You Are Mine (Nine Circles, #3)
  • Hearths of Fire (Red Starr, #1)
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
  • Raw Redemption (Crossing the Line, #4)
  • Hold Me Until Midnight (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • The Edge of Courage (Red Team, #1)
  • His to Keep (Beauty and the Brit, #3)
  • Hell or High Water (Lost and Found, Inc., #1)
  • All Chained Up (Devil's Rock, #1)
8292030
Lindsay Cross is the award-winning author of the Men of Mercy series. She is the fun loving mom of two beautiful daughters and one precocious Great Dane. Lindsay is happily married to the man of her dreams – a soldier and veteran. During one of her husband’s deployments from home, writing became her escape and motivation.

An avid reader since childhood, reading and writing is in her blood. After y
More about Lindsay Cross...

Men of Mercy (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Resurrection River (Men of Mercy #2)
  • Reckless River (Men of Mercy #3)
  • David (Men of Mercy #4)
  • Raylan (Men of Mercy #5)
  • Ravaged River (Men of Mercy #6)
  • Ethan's Promise (The Omega Team; Men of Mercy #7)
  • Aaron's Honor (Special Forces: Operation Alpha; Men of Mercy #8)
  • Revenge River (Men of Mercy, #9)
  • Relentless River
  • Mercy & Mayhem

“Yes. But not with you.” 0 likes
“Anyway, I like to appreciate my time with women, take it slow.” “Yeah, appreciate them right into a nursing home. You haven't had a woman in three years. How much appreciating do you need?” 0 likes