Start by marking “Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)” as Want to Read:
Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru (Creative HeArts, #1; Sloane and Tru #1)

Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru

(Creative HeArts #1)

This Entangled Teen Crush book contains vandalism in the name of art, art in the name of love, and love for a boy too charming to ever hate.

When life gives you a blank canvas, make art.

Sloane Whitaker hates everything about moving to Texas. She hates leaving behind her friends and half her family in New York, starting over senior year at Austin’s NextGen Academy, and havin
Published September 14th 2015 by Entangled Crush (first published September 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“Admit it,” he whispers. “You like me.”

This was a YA contemporary romance, about a girl who thought that having to leave New York was the worst thing that could possibly happen to her.

I was a little confused by Sloane at points in this story; she’d obviously done something pretty bad to cause her mom to move her out of New York because of it, but it was all a
Norah Una Sumner
"Art. Saves. Lives."

Such a great book!I loved the characters and the story-there’s just the right amount of family drama,mystery,romance and self-actualization. I’ve read it one sitting-that’s how good this book is!The writing is beautiful and I love the whole aspect of “rooftop meetings”!Art,of course,plays a huge role in this book and I love how we got to see what art means to every character.

description

The chemistry between Sloane and Tru is,of course,fantastic…with the famous “forbidden love” eleme
Mandy
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, clean-romance, ya
Sloane is forced to move from NYC to Texas with her mom to finish her senior year of high school. She's devastated, leaving behind her friends and starting somewhere new not knowing anyone. Her mom thought this would be for the best for Sloane after she got into some serious trouble in NYC, starting over in Texas will keep her away from bad influences. Tru is also a senior and her new next door neighbor. Tru is also considered to be a bit of a troublemaker and he has some secrets.

This book had
Cody
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
After an ‘Incident’ that landed Sloane in a heap of trouble and a criminal record, she’s forced to move to Texas. Determined to get back to New York City to finish her school year with her friends, Sloane must stay on her mother’s good side and at least try to make an effort at her new school. However staying out of trouble seems impossible whenever her next-door neighbor Tru is around.

Yet again another Crush read that I couldn't put down, I devoured this one sitting and I enjoyed it so so much.
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
*This book was provided by Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review*

The title, Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru, is instantly going to remind most people of the amazing movie, Ten Things I Hate About You, starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger (R.I.P). So with a title like that, it's hard not to be interested. So of course I have to include Ten Things I Hate About You gifs in my review.

Well this book was not bad, it was just... fine. Like, not bad, but not exactly outstanding or special
Moriah
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
**This review will also appear on A Leisure Moment**

Deniz
Another great cute novel from Crush.
This one started off reminding me heavily of Ten Reasons Why I Hate You- which I adored btw- and then became something quite different. Much quirkier and more unique than I expected

I could easily give you ten things I love about Tru. I found Sloan quite annoying in the beginning. And I could have given you easily ten things I hated about her. I had quite a clear idea what would happen when I started it. But the story changes and there is a little twist- which
Grace Fonseca
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
A totally enjoyable read. I literally found myself liking the two main characters and felt that these were two people who are trying to deal with what life has thrown at them. Both Sloane and Tru are two teenagers who have some pretty serious things to contend with. Sloane and Tru know that nothing is ever what it seems.

I really found that Sloane seems to be someone who has to start over. No one wants to start over, especially her. She has been forced to move to Texas with her mother for her sen
Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-arc
I'm rapidly growing extremely fond of the Entangled Teen's Crush line. This is a line of pure young adult, contemporary romance. Whenever i'm in the mood for some straight romance that is cute (not always necessarily light-hearted) but standalone, I'm always excited to get my hands on one of these books. Add this awesome new line to Tera Lynn Childs being the author of one, and I'm loving it.

Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru was such a cute, but also serious read. Sloane's made a horrible mistak
Suze Lavender
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sloane has made a mistake and the result is that she and her mother moved from New York to Texas. She and her mother left her brother and father behind. Her parents wanted Sloane to be away from every bad influence in her life. Now she has to start her senior year at a new school. NextGen Academy focuses on art and that's exactly what Sloane should enjoy, but she misses New York and hates not being able to see her best friend. Her parents have given her a long list of rules and she needs to foll ...more
Princess Bookie
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2015, a-net-g
My Thoughts: I wasn’t sure what I was really getting into as I started this one. I remember requesting it originally and knowing it sounded good but I randomly decided to read it one night on my kindle.

And I thought it was a cute story! We are introduced to Sloane who has gotten into some trouble at her old school so her mother uproots her and they decide to go away for a little while so Sloane can start over. New school, new friends, new life.

Sloane and her mother move into a nice little house
Brea
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in one sitting and I absolutely loved it!

right from the beginning I was so intrigued by our main character Sloane Whitaker, a senior in high school, an artist and a risk taker.

She is sent to Austin in Texas from New York City after an incident and her parents don't exactly trust her anymore. Austin is where she meets Tru, a bad boy who has a hard family life and hasn't opened up to anyone about the challenges he faces.

At her new art academy Sloane makes a few friends who sh
Angel
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Copyright Night Owl Reviews

Sloane made a statement with her art that got her arrested. Her parents made the decision to take her away from her friends and family so she will straighten up her act. That's how she ended up in Texas with a cute next door neighbor.

See my full review at:
Katerina
Dec 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
1. This book is the epitome of teenage crisis and feeling self important. Being a bit of a cry baby and a general annoying rebel.

2. It's also a book with no resolution.

3. And one which clearly has no handle on domestic abuse in a parent-child relationship because going back to point 2, there's no solution.

4. If I knew these kids too, I'd be pretty sick of life as well.
Natalia Alcázar
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
If I say a book is predictable, then it's like 900% predictable.
Ayesha
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
Cute ✔
Sweet ✔
Nonsense ✔
A little boring ✔
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Creative HeArts Stars.

Young Adult age-range: 14+, mentions of alcohol consumption, domestic violence, criminal activity, and kissing.

Tera Lynn Childs is a new-to-me author.

I started the Creative HeArts series on book 2 for review, then book 3. In preparation for book 4, I finally backtracked to read book 1. Sorry for sounding confusing, I assumed book 2 was actually the first in the series when I signed up to review, not rea
Kathy
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru is an absolutely delightful contemporary young adult novel. Although it has a super sweet romance, it is the subtle life lessons that Tera Lynn Childs incorporates into the storyline that make it such an exceptional read. This first installment in the CreAtive Hearts series is a truly unforgettable story that I highly recommend to readers of all ages.

After "The Incident" that lands her in an incredible amount of trouble, Sloane Whitaker's parents decide
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I had a rather weird reaction to this book. One that I was not expecting at all. While I was reading it I kept wanting to create art. I just wanted to pull out a pencil and draw. I wanted to take paint and splatter it against a canvas. I just wanted to CREATE something. So be warned. This could very likely happen to you too. I know it is a strange side effect to reading a contemporary young adult romance novel, but it happened.

At the beginning of this book, Sloane has just moved from New York to
Kimberly
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Review originally posted on my Blog, Over The Bookshelf

Sloane has a pretty good life. She goes to a prestigious art school in New York, her best friends, and her freedom. Then she makes a stupid decision in the name of art, and now she has to deal with the consequences. Her mother moves her to Texas and to a new school for her senior year. Her mother thinks that taking Sloane away from New York and the “bad influences” will teach her a valuable lesson about the consequences of her actions. Of co
Ally
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
NetGalley. Thanks for the copy.

Contrary to what the title implies (and suggests), the book has nothing to do with Ten Things I Hate About You. Ten Things I Hate About You, which is an excellent and awesome movie from the last century I will proudly cherish for all of my days, is a little bit more awesome-r than Ten Things Sloane Hates About Tru. Still, the book is great and entertaining with its own spirit and bark.

Let's talk about Sloane. After doing a stink (or accomplishment, depending on t
Maryam
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Full review up on the blog: http://gloriousbooks.blogspot.com/201...

After making a huge mistake which led to her being arrested, Sloane packs up her stuff and moves to Texas - with only half of her family. Thinking that the family split is her fault, Sloane is willing to do whatever it takes to move back home to New York and getting involved with bad boy Tru is not on that list.

I liked this read. Sloane was a relatable character. She wasn't too over the top with her crazy antics like a lot of c
Elaine
OK, I’ve left my teenage years well behind now but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a great teen novel - and this is one such story. With well written characters, plenty of teenage angst, a mystery to solve and relationships to explore this is a story full of twists, turns and incidents to keep the reader, whatever their age, entertained.

Sloane Whitaker is forced to move for her senior year from her home in New York to Austin. She resents the move but knows it is her own fault because of the ‘Inc
Cortnie
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
By "I'll review this when I get home from work", I clearly mean "Write the review at work and post it when I get home". (I HAD A LOT OF DOWN TIME TODAY, OKAY?! DON'T JUDGE ME!!! Lol.)

I love Tera's books and will be the first person to admit that I'm a huge sucker for cheesy YA romance novels and this book is not a disappointment.

Sloane is a teen who was forced to move from New York to Austin, Texas for getting in trouble, which she calls "The Incident". Of course, she really doesn't want to go,
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this cute read told mostly from the perspective of Sloane Whitaker, a New Yorker through and through, who is forced to move to Texas with her mom after getting into trouble. She misses her friends, her brother, and hates the idea of being forced to start over during senior year and takes to wearing "mourning blacks," which was a detail that this 19th century reader loved. Occasionally, there are chapters or short sections of chapters told from the male lead, Tru - short for Truman ...more
Ashley
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2015, contemporary
I was provided a free advanced copy from the publisher and author for a honest review. My thoughts and feelings were not swayed by any outside influence.

Actual Rating 3.5

The Good

I really enjoyed the artist side of this YA novel. I went to school for Graphic Design and being the focus of Sloane's schooling it was nice to revisit old terms and discussions. Some things were watered down a lot to make sense to others who are not familiar with art terminology but I can live with that. Sloane had a l
Shannon
Sloane's doing her best to stay on the straight and narrow- she's been forced by her parents to move with her mom to Austin, after The Incident. She's doesn't want to be in TX at all, and she'll do whatever she needs to do to get back home to NYC to finish out her senior year at her old school.
Tru is the boy next door who could throw a wrench in all her plans to get home.

There was a lot of back and forth between Sloane and Tru, a lot of push and pull. They have a connection that you just can't
A Leisure Moment
description

There is absolutely nothing that I hate about Tru Dorsey. I broke some reader code that I’ve instilled in myself when I read this series out of order, completely skipping over book one. I’m so glad that I went back to the beginning of the series and met Tru and Sloane. I knew who they were because I have been reading this series, but I didn’t know what they were like. I got to meet them and read the beginning of not only their story but also the senior class at NextGen. So you can read this seri
Stacee
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Well, the title and the cover got me on this one.

I liked Sloane and Tru both. They're both so different and so alike at the same time. I really enjoyed how he kept antagonizing her. The banter between them was adorable.

There were definitely some things I didn't like. The constant reference to The Incident, which we didn't find out about until almost half way through the book. And I absolutely loathed Tru's relationship with his parents. Actually, all of the parents in the book were shitheads.
Bette Hansen
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful YA read that had me from the first page. Sloane and Tru were great characters, both with personality and charm that captivated me. A very well written book that was truly a fun read!

Sloane Whitaker can't believe her parents have made her leave NYC and live in Austin for her senior year in high school. Living next door to Tru is also something that may undo her. She's heard he's the town bad boy, but sometimes things aren't quite what they seem. Tru is just trying to get through the s
  • Finding Perfect (Finding Perfect #1)
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • Pieces of You and Me
  • Playing Defense (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #2)
  • Blackmail Boyfriend (Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • Joni, Underway
  • Anya and the Shy Guy (Backstage Pass #4)
  • The Silent Swan
  • Isabella and the Slipper
  • Romancing the Nerd (Nerd, #2)
  • Accidental Billionaire (Accidental #5)
  • The Secret Life of Lincoln Jones
  • Chaos Theory
  • My Fake Boyfriend
  • It Was Always You (Ridgewater High #3)
  • Ever Near (Secret Affinity, #1)
  • Paper or Plastic
  • The Revenge Artist (Break-Up Artist, #2)
Tera Lynn Childs is the award-winning YA author of the mythology-based Oh. My. Gods. series, the Forgive My Fins mermaid romance series, the kick-butt monster-hunting Sweet Venom trilogy, and the Darkly Fae series.

Her newest release is Myths and Mistletoe, a holiday story collection. She also wrote the City Chicks series and co-wrote the Hero Agenda and Creative HeArts series.

Creative HeArts (6 books)
  • How Willa Got Her Groove Back (Creative HeArts, #2; Willa and Finn, #1)
  • Crazy, Stupid, Fauxmance (Creative HeArts, #3; Mariely and Cabot #1)
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • Falling for the Girl Next Door (Creative HeArts, #5; Sloane and Tru, #2)
  • Weddings, Crushes, and Other Dramas (Creative HeArts, #6; Willa and Finn, #2)