Start by marking “Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)” as Want to Read:
Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)

Compete

(The Atlantis Grail #2)

It's one thing to Qualify…
But do you have what it takes to Compete?

With Earth about to be destroyed by an extinction level asteroid, teenage nerd, geek, and awkward smart girl Gwen Lark, and a few of her friends and loved ones, barely Qualified for rescue onboard one of the thousands of ark-ships headed to the ancient colony planet Atlantis.

Now faced with a year-long journ
Published August 15th 2015 by Norilana Books (first published August 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Compete, please sign up.
M. Jones There is an extended preview/draft of Win (up to chapter 26) on her Wattpad. I'm not a fan of Wattpad (mostly because I find their search engine inade…moreThere is an extended preview/draft of Win (up to chapter 26) on her Wattpad. I'm not a fan of Wattpad (mostly because I find their search engine inadequate), but I downloaded the app just to get more of this story, lol.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Start your review of Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)
Frank Steele
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was clearly not written for my demographic, and if I had to read "tendrils of hair", or "oh. My. God", or about some "yummy" guy more time I might have thrown something, but that being said, darn it I couldn't put this silly book down. I'm loosing guy points here, but I'm looking forward to the next one.
OK, I have to go skin a boar, read some Joseph Conrad or something...got to get those points back.
♚ ember
3.5 stars.

description

good things
you know the feeling when you have a new boyfriend who you are totally in love with and you can't help thinking about? unfortunately he smokes, has tattoos and is a bit of a bad-boy and your parents won't accept your relationship because they think 'that's not safe' or 'you deserve better'.
however you are desperately in love with him and you won't stop being his girlfriend despite all his flaws. because, the power of love?
well, this entirely sums up my relationship with this
Sherwood Smith
This is one of the few "teenager gladiator" series I've enjoyed. I love the humor, the variety of the characters, and while the author uses some of the expected tropes, like the Love Triangle, especially in the first book it was done with interest and sympathy. Pretty much all her characters are written with sympathy. Most important of all, I can't predict where the action is going to twist, unlike most in this subgenre.

The first book dealt with the ferocious competition between Earth's teens fo
Nicole Chinnici
So I've read this book twice in two weeks. I simply couldn't stop thinking about it and couldn't put it down. Really, I could just leave my review at that and tell you to read it. But I won't.

Despite a few grammar issues and a few remarks from the narrator, "But more on this later," which I found to be completely unnecessary, Nazarian has built a story that perfectly continues from Qualify. The tone of Compete was different from Qualify, as it should be since we are now traveling through space o
Leesa
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
After book 1, I snatched this up and devoured it in no time at all. Seriously, all I could think about on NYE was when will it be appropriate to go to bed and read a few chapters...turns out 2.30am was fine by everyone present!

First off, this is markedly different to book 1 and that's a good thing. I personally found the Hunger Games method of rehashing the competition a little on the stale side, so when this took us up into the skies and on the journey to Atlantis, I was so excited! I mean, the
RH Reader
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-series
Well.

Pretty much gonna die until I can get the next two books.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Tamara
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE this book. If you liked the first book, this one is just as good, so do not hesitate. It is as well written as the first one, has a lot of action and romance, all wonderfully balanced. And the ending, OMG, the ending! Didn't expect that, at least not yet, and now I can't wait for the next book. This series has the potential to become one of my all-time favorites.
Sophie Cope
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Kathryn Parry
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as the first book.
Super Marge
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading books 1 and 2 back to back. I always start out with 5 stars and reduce for anything that I see as a fault. I cannot fault either book. It was wonderful on so many levels. Well done Vera Nazarian. It has been a long time since I have read such wonderful fare. Thank you. I am eagerly awaiting the third book.
Marj
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING READ! .. as always... Looking forward for WIN.. :-)
OhWell
It’s rare that the second book in a series is better than the first, but this is the case here. The one-year trip in space was intense and captivating, from its tragic beginning, to the lessons (flight school in particular), races, zero-gravity dances and all associated events. Thankfully the story follows a different path than The Hunger Games!

I liked the expanded cast of characters, mainly Gennio and Anu (one of my favourites!), and the consul (who would have thought?...). We got to see some
Ashley
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Once again, the story is interesting and I'm very intrigued by the world the author has created. It started out more like Hunger Games and Divergent, but is now definitely more of a sci-fi book. I like learning about their life in space, and Atlantean customs and traditions. Plus the whole idea of humans traveling to another world and immersing themselves in that culture is fascinating. I am looking forward to finding out what happens in the next book.

But honestly, I had to skim most of these f
Kimmarie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love LOVE this series.
Christina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holy crap.

Me and all other characters at the end of the book:

description

Leigh Kimmel
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Qualify, although I had a period where I got stuck in the middle and didn't come back for a number of months. This one I tore through in a matter of days, and it's even more *wow* than the first one. There we got the merest glimpse of Atlantean society, as the focus was on the deadly struggle to be one of the few who would Qualify for the limited number of berths aboard the fleet of ark-ships. In this volume, Gwen and two of her siblings have Qualified (that bittersweet ending I ...more
Victoria Zigler
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent read. It was better than the first book in the series was, and every time I had to put it down was tough, especially during the second half of it. I mean, at first, I was just as annoyed by the main character's inability to use her brains for even the most simple of social interactions as I had been in book one. But she got better at thinking before speaking or acting, which I was pleased to see. Not to mention, this book has some excellent scenes scattered throughout ...more
Peter Wiggins
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Rather stunned after finishing book 2.

Even better than book 1; great narrative, sweeping you along; couldn't put it down. Loved the science and story telling, and that in most cases I didn't see what was coming - quite a few surprises and a breathtaking ending. Straight onto book 3 for me!
Debra Lally
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Story

This is the second book of the Atlantis Grail trilogy that I have read. The story line is strong with interesting characters. I can't wait to read the last book in this series!
Sheryl
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun and different book
Mike
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very good story, the 2nd book in the series, and I would rate it above the first book. It's probably intended to be a YA novel but could be enjoyed by anyone. I will definitely read the 3rd and last book in the series.
Arabella Sun
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When will Book three be out?? Vera's such a good writer! I thought it was supposed to come out in feb 2016?? I finished this book in a 4-hour reading marathon;)
Sophie Knight
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first...can't wait to see what happens next.
Becky
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compared to the non-stop action of the first book in the series, this (the second book) got off to a slow start. I started enjoying it about 40% in. It made up for that at the end. There was more romance in this one, with all the same characters that we grew to love in the first book. I’m torn between giving it 3 or 4 stars, I’m going with 4 because I do like the characters & premise of the book so much. The second I finished this I started the third one, I’m definitely hooked! ...more
Paula
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like the survivor of a Bear Grylls show being shown a smorgasbord, I GORGED myself on this book. Unlike said survivor, I was left with no discomfort whatsoever when I was done. In fact, I was left with a somewhat dopey grin which prompted some raised eyebrows from my husband. Part of me is too nervous to read book 3 in case the magic wears off.
Amber
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I finished this book a few days ago and for the life of me I can not get it out of my head! So I am reading the first one and this one over again. I debated how many stars to give this book sense there is a few things about it that made me scratching my head. With that being said I been finding myself thinking about this book and the ending over and over so it desires 5 stars just cause I can not seem to not think about it!
First of all Vera Nazarian is brilliant. There is so much to this ser
thefatflatcat
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
March 2018:

5.0 (still a blazing 10 stars if you ask me)

I can't even count the times this book has left me screaming with agony, out of joy or anger, how often I laughed or cried. It is absolutely fantastic and also upon re-reading it, it didn't cease to amaze me. So well written. Vera Nazarian's attention to detail and her intricate descriptions give this story so much life and emotion.

In a nutshell: I am obsessed and will surely come back for another re-read.

February 2016:

I would give 10 stars
Gabrielle
The title for this book is slightly misleading, since the competition aspect is minor and is mostly foreshadowing for the next novel. From what I understand the Atlantis Grail series was originally meant to be a trilogy, which explains why Compete has a slight middle book feeling. I say slight, because it’s still very gripping.

There’s a tiny bit of a slump in the action for this book. Gwen and two of her siblings and several of her friends have managed to qualify. Thinking themselves safe on bo
*TheWrittenWord*Mo
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, classify-wow
Yeah so I think I am addicted to these books. I finished these 556 pages in less than a day, no sleep no classes just continuous reading and it was worth it. I almost wish there were more pages so I could have continued reading! This series is just fabulous, and even though the second book wasn't as much of an emotional roller coaster as the first one there were still some fantastic, shit-eating grin worthy moments. And the cliffhanger!! Oh my days and was clutching a pillow between my teeth t ...more
Andrea Norton
Just as great as Qualify!

When I first found Qualify, I was intrigued, and it didn't disappoint. Anyone reading a series knows that the second book in any series has a lot to live up to - it is either good or bad, sometimes great and often, a letdown.

Compete is by far a letdown. It is great, wonderful, exquisite. As long as Qualify, Compete pulls the reader in from the very beginning.

The atmosphere is a bit different as we're now in space, on our way to Atlantis. Gwen finds herself in some inte

• The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • The Atlantis Allegiance (The Atlantis Saga #2)
  • Lightwave: Clocker (Folding Space #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • The Atlantis Gene (The Atlantis Saga #3)
  • The Culling (The Culling #1)
  • Revival (The Variant Series, #1)
  • The Underground City (Planet Urth, #3)
  • The Savage Lands (Planet Urth, 2)
  • The Rise of Azlyn (Planet Urth, #4)
  • The Fate of Urth (Planet Urth, #5)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • Blade's Edge (A Dozen Worlds Romance #1)
  • Crimson Tempest (Survival Wars Book 1)
  • Transmission (The Invasion Chronicles, #1)
  • Thorns (The Frost Chronicles, #2)
  • Weavers (The Frost Chronicles, #3)
  • Planet Urth (Planet Urth, #1)
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Finalist, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazine

The Atlantis Grail (4 books)
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • Win (The Atlantis Grail #3)
  • Survive (The Atlantis Grail, #4)

Related Articles

“The secret purpose of language is to change everything. And by everything I mean, your life, the life of others, the planet, the universe itself. Language is action, movement, life itself. It initiates progress, evolution. Language creates. If I recall correctly, in one of your ancient Earth holy books, there's the notion that 'in the beginning was the word.' I think it's a beautiful metaphor. Because if you think about it, the world itself is made up of metaphors - meaningful thought and image constructs.” 0 likes
“There’s just the Earth and me. Hungrily I stare at it—the faint dot of blue—tiny, infinitesimal, precious, vulnerable, even now receding beyond my eyes’ ability to see. It is my last anchor, my one and only point of connection, of familiarity, of sanity. Even so, a few more minutes, seconds, incalculable moments, and I begin to doubt if I’m looking at anything at all. And after what might be another quarter of an hour . . . “Good-bye, little Pale Blue Dot,” I whisper. But silently, stubbornly, I tell myself, This is not good-bye. No, I do not accept it. Somehow, I will come back. And then, I see it no more. The Earth has dissolved into the darkness, has been swallowed by the cosmic grandeur all around. Only Sol is outside the window, our Sun—and now it alone remains an anchor point of visual reference.” 0 likes