Start by marking “Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)” as Want to Read:
Compete (The Atlantis Grail, #2)

Compete

(The Atlantis Grail #2)

It's one thing to Qualify…
But do you have what it takes to Compete?

With Earth about to be destroyed by an extinction level asteroid, teenage nerd, geek, and awkward smart girl Gwen Lark, and a few of her friends and loved ones, barely Qualified for rescue onboard one of the thousands of ark-ships headed to the ancient colony planet Atlantis.

Now faced with a year-long journ
Published August 15th 2015 by Norilana Books (first published August 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Compete, please sign up.
M. Jones There is an extended preview/draft of Win (up to chapter 26) on her Wattpad. I'm not a fan of Wattpad (mostly because I find their search engine…moreThere is an extended preview/draft of Win (up to chapter 26) on her Wattpad. I'm not a fan of Wattpad (mostly because I find their search engine inadequate), but I downloaded the app just to get more of this story, lol.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Frank Steele
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was clearly not written for my demographic, and if I had to read "tendrils of hair", or "oh. My. God", or about some "yummy" guy more time I might have thrown something, but that being said, darn it I couldn't put this silly book down. I'm loosing guy points here, but I'm looking forward to the next one.
OK, I have to go skin a boar, read some Joseph Conrad or something...got to get those points back.
♚ ember
3.5 stars.

description

good things
you know the feeling when you have a new boyfriend who you are totally in love with and you can't help thinking about? unfortunately he smokes, has tattoos and is a bit of a bad-boy and your parents won't accept your relationship because they think 'that's not safe' or 'you deserve better'.
however you are desperately in love with him and you won't stop being his girlfriend despite all his flaws. because, the power of love?
well, this entirely sums up my relationship with this
Sherwood Smith
This is one of the few "teenager gladiator" series I've enjoyed. I love the humor, the variety of the characters, and while the author uses some of the expected tropes, like the Love Triangle, especially in the first book it was done with interest and sympathy. Pretty much all her characters are written with sympathy. Most important of all, I can't predict where the action is going to twist, unlike most in this subgenre.

The first book dealt with the ferocious competition between Earth's teens fo
Leesa
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
After book 1, I snatched this up and devoured it in no time at all. Seriously, all I could think about on NYE was when will it be appropriate to go to bed and read a few chapters...turns out 2.30am was fine by everyone present!

First off, this is markedly different to book 1 and that's a good thing. I personally found the Hunger Games method of rehashing the competition a little on the stale side, so when this took us up into the skies and on the journey to Atlantis, I was so excited! I mean, the
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
So I've read this book twice in two weeks. I simply couldn't stop thinking about it and couldn't put it down. Really, I could just leave my review at that and tell you to read it. But I won't.

Despite a few grammar issues and a few remarks from the narrator, "But more on this later," which I found to be completely unnecessary, Nazarian has built a story that perfectly continues from Qualify. The tone of Compete was different from Qualify, as it should be since we are now traveling through space o
Tamara
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE this book. If you liked the first book, this one is just as good, so do not hesitate. It is as well written as the first one, has a lot of action and romance, all wonderfully balanced. And the ending, OMG, the ending! Didn't expect that, at least not yet, and now I can't wait for the next book. This series has the potential to become one of my all-time favorites.
RH Reader
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-series
Well.

Pretty much gonna die until I can get the next two books.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Sophie Cope
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Kathryn Parry
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-z-authors
Just as good as the first book.
Super Marge
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading books 1 and 2 back to back. I always start out with 5 stars and reduce for anything that I see as a fault. I cannot fault either book. It was wonderful on so many levels. Well done Vera Nazarian. It has been a long time since I have read such wonderful fare. Thank you. I am eagerly awaiting the third book.
Marj
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING READ! .. as always... Looking forward for WIN.. :-)
OhWell
It’s rare that the second book in a series is better than the first, but this is the case here. The one-year trip in space was intense and captivating, from its tragic beginning, to the lessons (flight school in particular), races, zero-gravity dances and all associated events. Thankfully the story follows a different path than The Hunger Games!

I liked the expanded cast of characters, mainly Gennio and Anu (one of my favourites!), and the consul (who would have thought?...). We got to see some
Kimmarie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love LOVE this series.
Gabrielle
The title for this book is slightly misleading, since the competition aspect is minor and is mostly foreshadowing for the next novel. From what I understand the Atlantis Grail series was originally meant to be a trilogy, which explains why Compete has a slight middle book feeling. I say slight, because it’s still very gripping.

There’s a tiny bit of a slump in the action for this book. Gwen and two of her siblings and several of her friends have managed to qualify. Thinking themselves safe on bo
Peter Wiggins
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Rather stunned after finishing book 2.

Even better than book 1; great narrative, sweeping you along; couldn't put it down. Loved the science and story telling, and that in most cases I didn't see what was coming - quite a few surprises and a breathtaking ending. Straight onto book 3 for me!
Sheryl
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun and different book
Christina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holy crap.

Me and all other characters at the end of the book:

description

Arabella Sun
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When will Book three be out?? Vera's such a good writer! I thought it was supposed to come out in feb 2016?? I finished this book in a 4-hour reading marathon;)
Sophie Knight
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first...can't wait to see what happens next.
Esti
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4 to 4.5 stars!! Loved this book, it is totally reminiscent of butterflies in your tummy. Good follow up to Qualify. Seriously, when is the next book out? OMG Vera write faster!
Kimberly Tate
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off, if you haven't yet read Qualify , do it now. Then, if you haven't reread it, go do that. Compete picks up almost immediately after Qualify ends, so you'll be confused if you don't reread, and anyways, I think Qualify is worth it.
If you read my review for that, you know how completely in love with that book I am. Rereading it almost made me love it more, if that's possible. So, naturally, when the sequel came out, I was in complete fangirl freak-out mode.
And then I read it, and oh ma
Nori Rosemary
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
O my god. The ending. I have to admit that the ending got me. This was an amazing sequel to Qualify and Vera Nazarian did an amazing job of progressing the story. Now for those of you who have not yet read Qualify... You need to. This story is so much better then your normal boring teen sci- fi novel and the author completely emerges you into the book. This is only my first time reading this book, but I am extremely pleased with what this book accomplished in its 530 odd pages. We got to see Gwe ...more
Amber
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I finished this book a few days ago and for the life of me I can not get it out of my head! So I am reading the first one and this one over again. I debated how many stars to give this book sense there is a few things about it that made me scratching my head. With that being said I been finding myself thinking about this book and the ending over and over so it desires 5 stars just cause I can not seem to not think about it!
First of all Vera Nazarian is brilliant. There is so much to this ser
Ashley
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Once again, the story is interesting and I'm very intrigued by the world the author has created. It started out more like Hunger Games and Divergent, but is now definitely more of a sci-fi book. I like learning about their life in space, and Atlantean customs and traditions. Plus the whole idea of humans traveling to another world and immersing themselves in that culture is fascinating. I am looking forward to finding out what happens in the next book.

But honestly, I had to skim most of these f
thefatflatcat
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
March 2018:

5.0 (still a blazing 10 stars if you ask me)

I can't even count the times this book has left me screaming with agony, out of joy or anger, how often I laughed or cried. It is absolutely fantastic and also upon re-reading it, it didn't cease to amaze me. So well written. Vera Nazarian's attention to detail and her intricate descriptions give this story so much life and emotion.

In a nutshell: I am obsessed and will surely come back for another re-read.

February 2016:

I would give 10 stars
Andrea Norton
Just as great as Qualify!

When I first found Qualify, I was intrigued, and it didn't disappoint. Anyone reading a series knows that the second book in any series has a lot to live up to - it is either good or bad, sometimes great and often, a letdown.

Compete is by far a letdown. It is great, wonderful, exquisite. As long as Qualify, Compete pulls the reader in from the very beginning.

The atmosphere is a bit different as we're now in space, on our way to Atlantis. Gwen finds herself in some inte
*TheWrittenWord*Mo
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, classify-wow
Yeah so I think I am addicted to these books. I finished these 556 pages in less than a day, no sleep no classes just continuous reading and it was worth it. I almost wish there were more pages so I could have continued reading! This series is just fabulous, and even though the second book wasn't as much of an emotional roller coaster as the first one there were still some fantastic, shit-eating grin worthy moments. And the cliffhanger!! Oh my days and was clutching a pillow between my teeth t ...more
Giovanna Donnithorne-tait
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fastpaced, breathless action in space

Moving from Earth into the depths of the universe, this space opera continues at breakneck speed. An opera it is in every sense of the way. I never thought music can come to life in writing.
I am looking forward to learning more about the Atlanteans and their music.

The series matured vastly throughout its second installment. The characters have gained extra depth and feel even more real and understandable.
As Gwen continues to age I do wonder though if she ev
Maria
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She done it again

I gave it a 5 star for the entertainment value of the book and well written it is. Some times it is so easy to imagine the scene , it is like you are living it yourself. I love the heroine on this series , she is just a normal kid with no special powers and very average physical skills but make it up with her ability of reasoning and finding her way out of very scary and dangerous situations. I love how the romance in this book is important but never the main focus of the book ,
Mandy Stump
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. The first one blew me away. This one turned me on 🔥 The ending was so shocking! But I'm so happy that happened. The hardest part of this book was to read them fight their love for one another. I cannot wait to read the next one unfortunately the hubby said I already bought enough this month so I have to wait and it is killing me.

• Sage (The Evolution, #2)
  • Happy Snak
  • Retribution (Lost Souls #1)
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Water & Storm Country (The Country Saga, #3)
  • Pilots Choice (Liaden Universe, #5-6)
  • The Book of the Dragon
  • Haven (Apocalypsis, #4)
  • Rex Cresting (Elei's Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of the Star (Children of the Star, #1-3)
  • The Heart of the Fight: A Couple's Guide to Fifteen Common Fights, What They Really Mean, and How They Can Bring You Closer
  • An Empty Land of Plenty
  • Cloud Invasion (R-D, #2)
  • As For Me And My House: Crafting Your Marriage To Last
  • Monsterology (Ologies, #6)
  • Liam's Promise (The Doomsday Kids #1)
  • Thorns (The Frost Chronicles, #2)
  • Preserving Hope (The Aliomenti Saga, #2)
Vera Nazarian is a two-time Nebula Award Finalist, award-winning artist, and member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, a writer with a penchant for moral fables and stories of intense wonder, true love, and intricacy.

She immigrated to the USA from the former USSR as a kid, sold her first story at the age of 17, and since then has published numerous works in anthologies and magazine

The Atlantis Grail (4 books)
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • Win (The Atlantis Grail, #3)
  • Survive (The Atlantis Grail, #4)
“Anu is an acquired taste,” I say lightly. Laronda widens her eyes and rolls them. “Sweet lord, yes! Roadkill with horseradish!” 0 likes
“Huh? Okay.” I raise my brows. But the Consul stares back at me with unblinking disdain. “Your second lesson is never to use non-existent words or animalistic sounds worthy of a gurgling infant child in your adult communication.” 0 likes