Start by marking “Eyeless in Gaza” as Want to Read:
Eyeless in Gaza

Eyeless in Gaza

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,898 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Written at the height of his powers immediately after Brave New World, Aldous Huxley's highly acclaimed Eyeless in Gaza is his most personal novel. Huxley's bold, nontraditional narrative tells the loosely autobiographical story of Anthony Beavis, a cynical libertine Oxford graduate who comes of age in the vacuum left by World War I. Unfulfilled by his life, loves, and adv ...more
Published July 20th 2004 by Vintage (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Eyeless in Gaza, please sign up.

Denis Berman This book is brutal. More brutal than Orwell's Clergyman's Daughter! How can you be more severe than that? I think Huxley was trying to dissect life…moreThis book is brutal. More brutal than Orwell's Clergyman's Daughter! How can you be more severe than that? I think Huxley was trying to dissect life from the inside out and outside in. He was way too dark in this novel. I don't exactly understand what he was trying to prove. I haven't cried after car accidents but this book almost made me cry. Is life this dark? This book is like a terrible airplane crash. Yes, I am referencing the dog that splattered. What was Huxley thinking? And to answer your question, it is normal that it took you longer than usual to get through this drivel. (less)

Jonfaith
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was the chief difference between literature and life. In books, the proportion of exceptional to commonplace people is high; in reality, very low.

Practically bed ridden, incapacitated and unable to sleep I completed this chewy hulk of a novel in 24 hours. Overflowing with ideas, Eyeless asks about Action: what is one to do? Anthony, one of the novels chief characters remains preoccupied with freedom throughout his life. The narrative rotates between 5 or so timelines and flips back to each
Pete daPixie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was Samson who fought the Philistines, whose 'nazirite' locks were lost due to female duplicity and resulting in his enslavement and his condition of being 'eyeless in Gaza'.
Along with Hesse, Huxley was required reading back in my teenage years, after all, there he was on the cover of Sgt Pepper. Having read 'The Doors of Perception-Heaven and Hell', 'Brave New World' and 'Island' all those years ago, it has been a joy to return to this masters writing and still find it exquisite.
'Eyeless in
Anita
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Eyeless in Gaza was one of the most profound books I've ever read. After reading it I immediately wanted to read it again. I wanted to sleep with the book under my pillow...but it was a book I checked out of the library, so naturally I was concerned with it being a health risk so close to my face.
Ant
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It's a shame that Huxley is almost solely noted for his rather simplistic Brave New World, when the brilliance of half forgotten works like Point Counter Point & Eyeless in Gaza are covered by their years as though stone locked into the times they were written, away from todays readers. Both employ brilliant structures to tie in various storylines, albeit in entirely different ways, but Eyeless in Gaza was probably one of the most personal & introspective novels of his to date. So much s
Lavinia
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
Roman de idei, foarte concentrat dpdv intelectual, nu foarte lejer pentru neuronii mei. Nu e greu, dar nu e totusi o lectura de vacanta, ca sa zic asa. Motiv pentru care am luat si retetele Babettei pe linga, ca suport :)
Ma bucur ca nu i-am dat pace si m-am tot caznit cu el, putin cite putin. Ceea ce a fost foarte bine, pentru ca finalul, sa zicem ultimele 150 de pagini, dupa ce m-am prins eu cum sta toata treaba, a fost excelent.

Pe linga faptul ca e asa mai intelectuala de felul ei, cartea e sc
Mj
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read Eyeless in Gaza when I was 18 and again in my 20's. In my opinion this is Huxley's best novel. Early on Huxley's main character, who is no doubt based on himself, states:

"Like all other human beings, I know what I ought to do, but continue to do what I know I oughtn't to do"

And that sums up his quest for transformation. The novel simultaneously weaves together 3 separate story timelines showing how his childhood shapes the mistakes of his adolescents and the cushion his sardonic personali
حسين إسماعيل
[⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐]
في قراءتي الأولى لها قبل عام، كنتُ أقول أن على المقبل على روايات هكسلي أن يضع بعين الاعتبار أنه سيقرأ عملًا أدبيًا فكريًا فلسفيًا، وأنه لا مناص من معاودة قراءتها. سأحاول هنا تقديم قراءة أخرى. قد تحتوي المراجعة على “حرق”.

أنهيتُها اليوم مجددًا. أجزمُ أنها أكثر الأعمال الأدبية التي قرأتُها إرهاقًا حتى الآن، سواءً ما يتعلق منها بفلسفة هكسلي نفسه، أو خطها الزمني المبعثر، أو في البنية الصلبة لشخصياتها. كل فصلٍ من الرواية يحدث في يومٍ أو بضعة أيام، وكلها تحمل تواريخ أحداثها. تدورُ غالبيتها في ال
Vit Babenco
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The past and the present are psychologically and physically bound…
“The snapshots had become almost as dim as memories. This young woman who had stood in a garden at the turn of the century was like a ghost at cock-crow. His mother, Anthony Beavis recognized. A year or two, perhaps only a month or two, before she died. But fashion, as he peered at the brown phantom, fashion is a topiary art.”
On the whole Eyeless in Gaza is about the power of memory… You wish to forget your past errors but your me
Sara
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mi, summer
on speech-giving:
"It's easy enough, once you've made up your mind that it doesn't matter if you make a fool of yourself. But it's depressing. There's a sense in which 500 people in a hall aren't concrete. One's talking to a collective non, an abstraction, not to a set of individuals. Only those already partially or completely convinced of what you're saying even want to understand you."

on marriage:
only boring people stay married.

Empirical facts:
1. We are all capable of love.
2. We impose limitati
Ben Weeks
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprised by Eyeless in Gaza. From the books that Huxley is well know for, I was expecting a dystopian commentary involving various chemical mind-states. What I got was a deep inquiry into the nature of man through the telling of various social circumstances of a fictional British bourgeois circle in the early 1900s. His criticisms of the idle rich are quite endearing, and seem to warn of the sort of dystopic future that he paints in his other novels. Huxley treads the line of being m ...more
  • Inside Mr. Enderby
  • Ride the Tiger: A Survival Manual for the Aristocrats of the Soul
  • On the Edge of Reason
  • Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
  • Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat: The Great Speeches
  • Tun-huang (New York Review Books Classics)
  • This Timeless Moment: A Personal View of Aldous Huxley
  • Eumeswil
  • The Duke's Children (Palliser, #6)
  • A Day Off
Aldous Leonard Huxley was an English writer and one of the most prominent members of the famous Huxley family. He spent the latter part of his life in the United States, living in Los Angeles from 1937 until his death in 1963. Best known for his novels and wide-ranging output of essays, he also published short stories, poetry, travel writing, and film stories and scripts. Through his novels and es ...more
More about Aldous Huxley...
“Chastity—the most unnatural of all the sexual perversions, he added parenthetically, out of Remy de Gourmont.” 330 likes
“Hell is the incapacity to be other than the creature one finds oneself ordinarily behaving as.” 21 likes