Start by marking “Crush” as Want to Read:
Crush

Crush

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  423 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Love hurts ... but should it hurt this much? Reeling from her mum's sudden departure, Anna finds the comfort she needs in her blossoming relationship with Will. He's handsome and loving, everything Anna has always dreamt of. He's also moody and unpredictable, pushing her away from her friends, her music. He wants her to be his and his alone. He wants her to be perfect. Ann ...more
Published March 3rd 2016 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Crush, please sign up.

Astrid Langeveld
Anna (14) heeft het thuis niet gemakkelijk. Ze raakt verstrikt in een relatie met Will (16) die steeds gewelddadiger wordt. Lezen vanaf ca 13 jaar. Ik irriteerde mij mateloos aan de vader van Anna. Sinds haar moeder weggegaan is moet Anna alles in huis doen en als ze het niet doet krijgt ze op haar kop. Wat een rare situatie. Het onderwerp is wel actueel, maar het boek had beter gekund. Eigenlijk 2,5 sterren, maar vanwege het onderwerp 3 sterren.
Sarah Churchill
It's great to have these kinds of books available, and I can imagine it being discussed by youth groups to raise awareness and understanding of toxic relationships.

It was handled very well; the downward spiral and justification, as well as the intensity of a first love and need to please. Other topics are also covered, like broken families, abandonment issues, mental health and abuse. There's a lot squashed into a very short read, and honestly I would have liked for it to be longer. To get to kn
Fiona MacDonald
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
This was a really excellent book. I read in two hours today and couldn't put it down. What I liked so much about this book was that it spoke to me. It was written with such realism, and it was so relatable. Elements of it reminded me so much of my past relationship. It shows how easily you can become manipulated by another person, how you can alter your personality in the hope that you will be 'better' and how you can cut the people off that really matter and mean the most to you. Eve Ainsworth ...more
Michelle Toy
This review was originally posted at www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

After reading and loving Eve’s debut, 7 Day’s, last year I could not wait to get my little mitts on her second book Crush and I have to say it did not disappoint.

A story about a toxic relationship and a reminder that domestic abuse is never okay in any way, shape or form.

Crush tells the story of Anna who, since her Mom has left home, is struggling to cope living with her Dad and her younger brother. Everything seems to cause an issu
Sophie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Posted in full http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2016...

Crush is a really impactful, beautifully written story of an abusive relationship between two teenagers. It’s a dark theme told extraordinarily well by the author, with highly drawn emotion and a poignancy that at times had me moved to tears. There’s such an important message in this book and one that needs to be explored in young adult fiction and Eve gets every feeling, every emotion and every bit of pain spot on. The experience of abuse
Sahiba
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, fiction
Trigger warning for mental & physical abuse especially from a partner. Full review originally here- http://wp.me/p4LMeC-SU

Crush by Eve Ainsworth caught my eyes last year when I read a tweet(?) that showed the cover and mentioned briefly that the book was about an abusive relationship from the points of view of both the victim and abuser. I was once in an abusive relationship and even though reading books with themes like this bring back bad memories, they are important in creating awareness
Nicole Sweeney
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles

This novel is a dark and gripping one, and is something that I enjoyed immensely. Recently I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy fiction so it was nice to take a step back from dragons and magic, and read about something real. Because that’s exactly what this story is about, people living in the real world, coping with life’s problems – Anna’s mum has walked out on her family – and what happens in an abusive relationship. This is by no means a l
Lydia
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I picked this up at work because I fancied something lightweight that would only take me a couple of hours to read. It definitely fulfilled my desires in that way, so that was good.

Mainly narrated by Anna who's a 14-year-old who's having a tough time at home after her mum has left, who then ends up in an abusive relationship with a 16-year-old guy from her school.

I think it's good when books aimed at teenagers focus on these types of themes and I'm all for a book that could help young people rec
Kirsty
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy Eve's previous book and was very much looking forward to seeing what she did next. I think this latest title is stronger and made me even more excited for what she writes next.

For me the thing I like about Eve's books is that they are so authentic. The characters feel real and their experiences feel genuine. It did mean that in this case I read much of this book feeling so much of the main character as the intensity of a first lovely came across. Anna is the girl at school we
May 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Told through the POV of Anna a 14 year old girl who is having a hard time at home after her mum leaves and finds herself in a relationship with a 16 year old will who is manipulative and abusive. Throughout the story we get small snippets of what s going on with him through letters he is writing.

I think this book represented annas position as the victim of abuse well and done a good job of showing the slow build up and how easy it is not to even realise what situation you have put yourself in.
Grace
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, young-adult
This was an interesting book. It's not the type of book I usually read but I felt that the issues portrayed within the book were covered well. The resolution at the end was powerful but also it did feel a bit hurried and I had some unanswered questions especially surrounding Will. I can't see myself reading this again, but it was a good read.
Megan
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a powerful book bringing an insight on abusive relationships to younger people. I feel this should be read in schools to bring awareness to the topic. Highly recommended and such an eye opener.
Bee
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty basic book on abusive relationships. It was a bit “after-school-special” and it all seemed a bit over the top but I was pretty entertained throughout.
Alaina Meserole
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rtc
15PhillipsE
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book and it drew me in and the writing just pulled you in and I loved it!
CherryCarrot
I think Crush is a fine read for younger teens. It successfully demonstrates how toxic a controlling relationship can be and is valuable for that reason. However, as it is quite simplistic - and dare I say rather textbook, with predictable events i.e. distancing from friends, Will having family issues - it didn't pack the punch I feel would have made it an absolutely killer read.

This is going to make me sound a little odd, but I wanted Crush to be bigger and nastier and darker, and to really pa
Izzy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I ordered this book, I didn't realise it would be so small.
I was expecting more than what I received.

I was intrigued to find a story solely based on the topic of abuse - which is an important topic.
I was expecting an in-depth story based on an abusive relationship, with complex characters who I could connect with and a complex plot.

This book seems to be more like a fictional guide for young teens. I do think abuse is a serious topic that we all need to be educated on, especially younger te
Suze Lavender
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anna's mother has left her father for another man. Anna is fourteen years old and she has to manage the household now. She isn't close to her younger brother and her father isn't very nice to her. When Will, the most gorgeous boy in school, is interested in her she can't believe her luck. She wants nothing more than to be his girlfriend. Will is from a broken home as well, so they understand each other. Anna is proud to be Will's girlfriend and she's happy that he wants to be with her. Only Will ...more
Georgia
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Crush' tells the story of Anna- who is struggling at home. Her Mum has left, and she doesn't get on with her Dad and Brother: she is almost forced to be a mother figure replacement. But when the school heartthrob, (Will), crosses paths with Anna, she doesn't understand why he is giving her so much attention. Shouldn't he be spending time with a better girl?

As Anna and Will's relationship blossoms, everything couldn't be more perfect. Finally, Anna has someone who puts her at the centre of their
Alison
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another YA book but it covers such a dark theme of control and toxicity in a relationship and how it affects all those around the pair. The difference is this is about a teenage couple.

Anna is fourteen, life at home is not easy or comfortable, she is struggling with her mum’s departure, so when the school heart-throb Will takes an interest in her she becomes so totally absorbed in him thinking he will make her life complete.

The way first love is tackled is charmingly written but incorpor
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was an example of what an unhealthy relationship can be like, which I think was good.
The title of the book has 2 meanings: when you have a crush on someone and when someone of something literally crushes you in two.
I actually really enjoyed this book despite me disliking the characters.
To be honest I think they were written like that on purpose.
Will was someone I couldn't stick and the amount of times I wanted to reach in and strangle him... well to be honest I lost count!
The main girl
Natasha Adams
A bit predictable but a good, and important, teen read about toxic relationships.
Serendipity Reviews
Every teenage girl should read this book
Emily McMullan
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For someone who has been in an emotionally abusive relationship, this is very realistic and very true to experiences people have now in abusive relationships.
Alyce Hunt
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A no-holds-barred exploration of an abusive teenage relationship, Crush is a vast improvement on Eve Ainsworth's debut novel, 7 Days. Full review coming next week.

EDIT 23/03/2018:

'She'll do anything for me, anything.
She's perfect.'

Anna is on top of the world when Will, the hottest guy in Year 11, takes an interest in her. She can't believe her luck and starts spending every minute of every day with him, neglecting best friend Izzy and her band, Void. Will's feelings for Anna seem to be just as
Eve
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When school hottie, sixteen year old Will, notices her, Anna can't believe it at just fourteen that he'd be interested in her. Yet the relationship isn't as it seems, not noticing the digs and remarks Will makes about her friends, hair, body, food choices etc he continually gets more controlling before physical bruising and hair pulling occurs. Unable to realise what is happening, they continue their relationship.

Her dad is an ex boxer and her ten year old brother Eddie goes to school still desp
Smelleykins
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story made me feel so uncomfortable reading. I think the way Will kept getting at Anna was creapy and scary. This book is about a toxic relationship, where the school stud gets with the girl, no-one would really notice. Anna is that girl. She's struggling anyways then to add her first real boyfriend to the picture it just gets far too much. Especially when the boyfriend is a pretty caluclated evil idiot.

I think this book is good to bring awareness around situations like this. Because somet
Inez
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
5/10 - It's a book for tweens and teens about abusive relationship(s), the educational purpose of this book is noticeable right away, the language is very simple and it seems like the author wanted to mention all the aspects of the issue, all small details that teenagers can relate to. Sometimes it seems like those details are too much, like the author is trying to tick off all the boxes on some list. The writing isn't special or exceptionally good. But the book is important. And I genuinely thi ...more
Clare Brunton
An interesting idea but a bit basic. It would have been much more interesting to spend time learning about the after effects of the abuse, rather than it all wrapping up far too neatly. It also upset me that a photo of someone in a bra was taken far more seriously than having your boyfriend strangle you.
Demi
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great way to show this kind of relationship especially since people don’t particularly think of it happening to teenagers as well as adults.
I liked how it slowly turned violent and wasn’t like that from the beginning. I think they should have this in schools.
  • The Secret Diary of Lydia Bennet
  • Sophie Someone
  • Never Evers
  • London Belongs to Us
  • Drop
  • The Baby
  • Star Struck (Ladybirds, #4)
  • Swan Boy
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • Remix
  • Nina is Not OK
  • Birdy
  • Othergirl
  • Me and Mr J
  • All of the Above
  • The It-Girl (The It Girl, #1)
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)
  • Blue (Blue, #1)
Author of Seven Days & Crush
Scholastic
www.eveainsworth.com

I have also self published an adult comedy - The Blog of Maisy Malone.

I love reading, long walks, hot baths, eighties music and tea.

Please follow me on Twitter

Or find me on Facebook

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)