Start by marking “Swimming Alone” as Want to Read:
Swimming Alone

Swimming Alone

The Sea Side Strangler is on the loose in Beach Point, where fifteen-year-old Cathy Banks is spending the summer with her aunt (who happens to be mystery writer Roberta McCabe). Although thrilled to be away from her psychotic, divorcing parents, with no cell phone or internet access, Cathy is positive that her summer is going to be wretched. Just when she begins to make fr ...more
Published August 27th 2015 by Fire & Ice Young Adult Books (first published August 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Alone

Start your review of Swimming Alone
Laura Wolfe
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book on my "to-read" list for several months. Now that I've read it, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. This YA mystery was well-written with unique and believable characters, and a fast-paced plot that kept me turning the pages. Mansfield did a fantastic job of weaving a story complex enough to keep me guessing until the end, but not too complex that it became confusing. I found myself rooting for the main character, who spit out some hilarious one-liners throughout the book. ...more
Nina
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course I am giving this 5 stars! (I am a bit biased.) But seriously, it's a great beach read full of suspense. Hope you'll check it out!
Caroline
This book is fabulous. Cathy is hilarious. The worst thing in the world that could possibly happen to her, has happened. Cathy is sent away for the summer to live with her aunt in a seaside town with zero cell reception and no Internet access. Not only is she cut off from all of her friends, Cathy's parents also make her get a job. So much for spending every day laying on the beach soaking up the sun. The icing on the cake is that the Sea Side Strangler is on the loose, murdering young brunettes ...more
Em Jay
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-i
**I received this book from a blog giveaway**

I'm always nervous reading mystery novels, since as much as I love the suspense, I absolutely hate it when I can figure out who the killer is by page two. SWIMMING ALONE, I'm happy to say, was not one such book. Despite having my suspicions (which turned out partially right, but not in the way I'd expected) I didn't guess who the Sea Side Strangler was. Mansfield planted plenty of red herrings and Cathy's constant suspicions and overreactions made sur
Stacy Mozer
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Swimming Alone is a perfect mystery for a reluctant teen reader. Humor combined with mystery makes it a real page turner.
Justin Turczak
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From first few pages I absolutely loved this book! Reason for this I live in a beach town so what Nina describes sounds so familiar and makes me think I'm at the beach even though it's April so can't go in the sun. But other things I liked until very last page didn't know who the sand beach killer is and there is the twist I didn't see happening. Only thing maybe as a con was a small booked and had finished this book in one sitting espcially with a book I like, over all really good read and if s ...more
Anne Martin
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-arc
I forgot to review this book! Sorry.
I enjoyed it, and younger readers will even like it better. I just thought Kathy's situation a bit extreme. No internet, no phone. Why? Just to make a story?
Thank God, she finds a good job and friends quickly. Otherwise, it would drive her insane.
When the girl she works with disappears, she must do something.
A nice mystery, with thrilling and scary parts.
The characters were a bit young for me, but I believe teens will love the book. Typically one of those boo
Timothy
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun yarn! Suspenseful and funny, great characters.
Mal
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swimming Alone is a fantastic read. It is hard to put down, in fact I read it in one sitting!
Lisa Welch
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
On the Plus Side:
** This is a solid suspense read – I was guessing the entire time, and I didn’t figure it all out until close to the end (and even then I still had some guesses at other aspects of the novel). There are plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing!
** I always love novels that are set in seasonal beach towns during the summer. It could be that I envision myself spending a summer someday in a town just like Beach Point Bay.
** I appreciated the variety of characters included in
Brandi
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not my normal genre to read. That being said it was a well written semi-fast pace book. There are plenty of twist and turns. I would read something from this author again.

Cathy has been relegated to a beach city with her author aunt while her parents hash out divorce issues. The biggest problem with the town, there is a serial killer on the loose. From here we see the mind of a teenager travel from theory to theory.

Definitely a good fast read and I am glad I took a chance on it.
D.G. Driver
Fun Mystery

I haven't read a mystery in a while, and this was a blast! Cathy's growing paranoia as she comes to suspect everyone she meets as a possible murderer is great fun to read. This is a great book for ages 12 and older. A good, clean read for teens. I hope Mansfield writes more like this.
D.G. Driver
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ella Chochrek
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
**I received this book from a blog giveaway**

I thought the writing style was perfect for the teen/tween audience the book is targeted to. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is because the storyline seemed a little bit stereotypical to me.
Brittany Goodwin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a good enjoyable beach (or in my case, airplane) read. It took me a few chapters to get into it but once it picks up it's a quick, fun read. Appropriate for young readers but will intrigue adults as well. Looking forward to seeing more from this debut author!
Pussycaty
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was surprised how much I liked this book.
I liked the characters and the book is well written.
I liked the story and I kept on guessing "whodunit" till the end.
I am loooking forward to read the author's next book.
Ramona
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this novel. I won this novel though goodreads giveaways.
Alex Obremski
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light beach read

Fun little mystery with twists and turns galore. Ms Mansfield manages to channel the voice of a 15 year old with great skill.
Nina
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I gave this five stars. :}
Rich Zahradnik
Sep 27, 2016
Austin
May 05, 2017
Nina Mansfield is a Connecticut based writer. Her first novel, SWIMMING ALONE, a YA Mystery, was published by Fire & Ice in August 2015. Nina began her writing career as a playwright; she has written numerous plays, which have been produced throughout United States and in Canada, Australia, England and Ireland. Her short plays have been anthologized in Smith & Kraus’s The Best Ten-Minute Plays (of ...more