Start by marking “Once A Hero (Herc's Mercs, #4)” as Want to Read:
Once A Hero (Herc's Mercs, #4)

Once A Hero

(Herc’s Mercs #4)

Ezra Levin spent years as a soldier, just as his father had wished. But after stints in the Israeli military, the Mossad, and finally as a member of Hercules Security, the man once known as “Ghost” decides to retire and pursue his own dreams of being a chef. At forty-five, he knows his yearning to have a partner and a family of his own are probably unattainable, but as a ...more
Published August 26th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Once A Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once A Hero

Start your review of Once A Hero (Herc's Mercs, #4)
Cadiva
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am thoroughly enjoying this series from Ari McKay as various different members of Herc's mercenary team find themselves falling in love.

Each story has had quite different settings, even if the premise of falling in love is central and I really liked this one with former stealth specialist Ezra and his Judge employee Mason.

There was also an added bonus of a great kid who acted like a typical 12 year-old and not an overly educated or intellectual prodigy and we got to hear about the other guys
Christy
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, on-my-kindle, arc
3.5 Stars This is the fourth installment in Ari McKay's 'Herc's Mercs' series, and I was looking forward to this one with as much enthusiasm as I had book one. The author has done a great job with these guys, and this installment focuses on a retired member of Hercules Security, Ezra. Since the previous works involved active duty men, I thought the concept of a retired agent would be interesting. And, again, I was right…which I usually am, by the way. *smirks*

First off let me just say - Ezra can
Leaundra
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...
Nat ReadingAllNite
More like 2.5

This story was more like Books 1 & 2 but didn't quite measure up to those either. It felt like a lot was missing. There was a small amount of character building but almost nothing about the relationship developing. Ezra showing the son, Jamie, how to cook and telling him stories gave a basis for their connection. Nothing was given about whether Ezra and Mason spent any time together besides dinner. Nothing about conversations, just that they were attracted and each spent lots of
Debra Guyette
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ezra Levin, once known as Ghost, decides to retire from his last job in security and pursue his dream of being a chef. He would love to have a partner and a family, but he may have to settle for being a private chef for Judge Mason Whittaker and his young son, Jaime. Unfortunately, Mason’s past as a district attorney has earned him many enemies and one is back. A series of unsettling events leads Ezra to step up and call upon his old employer to help protect the man who has become dear to him.

Kendra Patterson
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ezra "Ghost" Levin is a retired merc and now the chef of Mason Whittaker. He loves his job cooking for Mason and his son Jamie. Mason is an ex-prosecutor, now a judge and widower. When Mason gets a threatening letter in the mail Ezra goes on alert. He's not taking any chances with Mason and Jamie, so he contacts Cade "Herc" Thornton to get some support. Things slowly escalate until Mason is attacked. Ezra has known for some time that he loves Mason and Jamie and considers them his family. No one ...more
Mrs.V
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ezra "Ghost" Levin has retired from active duty at Herc's Mercs to pursue a career as a personal chef. Living with and cooking for Judge Mason Whittaker and his (super awesome) 12 years old son Jamie would be a lot easier if Ezra wasn't insanely attracted to Mason and if he didn't wish he was a part of Mason and Jamie's family as a partner and step-father.
When Mason's life is threatened from one of his past cases, Ghost takes on his protector's role once again to save the life of the man he
Faye Kennedy
I really liked this one for a lot of reasons, I loved "Ghost" aka Ezra in previous stories. Mason is great match for Ezra too. The drama of a bad guy going after Judge Mason was well written and keeps you reading along. I loved the ending with Ezra's new side job description from Cade. Jamie's one smart cookie for so young and inquisitive.
Going after his destroyer he needed Mason to pay and pay badly but who is He?.
Ezra 45 yrs aka "Ghost" was now a chef at Judge Mason Whittaker's home with his
Lea Blottiaux
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

After Ghost moved on, he knew he wanted to attend culinary school and become a chef. He prefferd to work as a private chef for someone. Ghost was hired to work for Judge Mason Whittaker and his twelve year old son, Jamie. He used his name Ezra Levin. Mason was a bisexual who lost his wife when Jamie was two. Ezra grew very fond of Jamie. Jamie would help Ezra in the kitchen and ask non-stop questions about Ezra's life as a soldier. Mason and Ezra felt drawn to each other, but Ezra
Becca
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is a little like the first one but still good. The people are older. Which is a good reminder that no matter how old you are, you can still do something that matters. This one pertains to a psycho and a judge. Of course criminals try to pass off as being innocent when they aren't. Some just take things into their own hands. And Ezra shows people to not underestimate someone just cuz they're older.
Shannon Paguirigan
I really like this series! I enjoyed the story line, and the interaction between the two main characters. I'm not going to put any spoilers in my review, but I recommend this series. Even though you can read this book as a stand-alone, I highly suggest you read them as a series, in order, as you meet the characters from the other books, and there would be questions if you didn't read the first three in the series first. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Good Reading!
Shannon P.
Nicole
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ezra Current profession Chef, Previous professions in Mossad and for Hercules Security Code name Ghost. Mason a Judge previously a Lawyer. Great story, well written, Great characters. Some previous characters are in or mentioned within the book.
Tanya
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Another solid story in the series. Sweet, hot, and with a good touch of suspense to keep it interesting. K
Tj
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cop, chef, ku
Danger with a side of fluff. Ezra is a chef who not only cooks a great dinner but can be counted on to save your life.
Tyra Berger
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is the fourth installment in the Herc's Mercs series and my favorite so far. When the story begins Ezra has been working for Mason for a while so their relationship didn't feel rushed or contrived but the sexual tension between them was palpable.

Ezra has done the military/mercenary thing and now wants nothing more than to create things in the kitchen and take care of a family. He has found that with the Whittakers. So when events start to unfold that could jeopardize them he doesn't
Inked Reads
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, thriller
FourStars
This is my first time reading Ari McKay. For the most part, I enjoyed the story.

I LOVED the age’s of the characters in this romance. They were both in their 40’s and sexy and full of life. There was an intensity between Ezra and Mason that sizzled through the pages. I was chanting in my head…”just kiss already.” That, to me, is a great talent by an author, when you can FEEL it from the pages!! Mason’s son was adorable and smart and a very enjoyable addition in the story.
What I found
Kimberley
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Copy graciously provided by InkedRainbowReads.

4 Heartfelt Stars!

AyoDollFace
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars because I really didn't like the way Ghost's vocabulary was so proper. The son was cute.

On the plus side MOJO.... Ahhh, yummy!! I love me some native american men ...
Ndulgent Bloggers
Dec 18, 2017
Jen
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hell on Earth (Hellhound Champions, #1)
  • Swipe (Stories from Plenty, California, #1)
  • Ta’Narian Christmas
  • Insatiable (Witches of the Big Easy #0.5)
  • A Very Oceanport Christmas (Second Chances #4)
  • Hexxed (Witches of the Big Easy #1)
  • Hunger (Witches of the Big Easy #2)
  • The Vampire's Club: Book Five
  • The Vampire's Club: Book Four (The Vampire's Club #4)
  • The Hell You Say (The Adrien English Mysteries, #3)
  • Risky Behavior (Bad Behavior, #1)
  • Death of a Pirate King (The Adrien English Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (The Adrien English Mysteries, #5)
  • Give Him Hell (Hellhound Champions #3)
  • Hell to Pay (Hellhound Champions #2)
  • Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)
  • Bad Boy Extended Epilogue (Valetti Crime Family, #5.1)
  • His Hostage Extended Epilogue (Valetti Crime Family, #2.1)
Ari McKay is the professional pseudonym for Arionrhod and McKay, who collaborate on original m/m fiction. They began writing together in 2004 and finished their first original full length novel in 2011. Recently, they’ve begun collaborating on designing and creating costumes to wear and compete in at Sci Fi conventions, and they share a love of yarn and cake.

Arionrhod is an avid costumer, knitter,

Herc’s Mercs (9 books)
  • The Bigger They Come (Herc's Mercs #1)
  • Line in the Sand (Herc's Mercs #2)
  • Bloody But Unbowed (Herc's Mercs #3)
  • The Harder They Fall (Herc's Mercs, #5)
  • Where Angels Fear To Tread (Herc's Mercs, #6)
  • No Pain No Gain (Herc's Mercs, #7)
  • Room For One More (Herc's Mercs, #8)
  • Herc's Mercs: The Collection Volume 1 (Herc's Mercs Collection)