Start by marking “Mist & Whispers (The Weaver's Riddle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mist & Whispers (The Weaver's Riddle, #1)

Mist & Whispers

(The Weaver's Riddle #1)

In the West-English town of Little Wolf Green, Scott's bookshop is about to close down. Convinced the bookshop holds the key to her mother's identity, sixteen year old Anya Piddling vows to save Scott's, whatever the co
Paperback, First, 350 pages
Published September 21st 2015 by Castle Wall Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mist & Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mist & Whispers

Ben Alderson
I realised I had never updated my review...
the special reason for my previous comment was that I AM NOW PUBLISHING THIS STUNNING NOVEL.

Omg, fantasy fantasy fantasy. Imagine... Dragon Boys, Worlds in Eternal darkness... a girl with a brewing power... a book shop in need of saving... magic... evil and good. OMG ITS JUST PERFECTION..

I highly recommend you all read this book!

I read this book for a very special reason...

Stay tuned for more information!
Casey Ann Books
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

First off I love this cover, it really draws you in. The illustration has this beautiful flow to it, it's like a painting, and then you take in all these little details like the tree branches and Anya's trainers and they make her come alive when you're reading it. And there's a magical book on the cover so that's always a win!
A looooot happened in this book, it starts off in one place and then goes somewhere completely different to what I was expecting, with all these little twists and turns in
Christine Spoors
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This book begins in a sleepy fictional English town but then ends up turning into a fantasy. I was a little unsure if I would like that, but I LOVED IT! It was so interesting to see characters from our modern world thrown into fantasy situations. Mist & Whispers is unlike any other fantasy I have ever read. It's the perfect book for snuggling up with for an adventure on a rainy day.

The main character Anya is quite amusing at times, but also frustratingly stubborn. This made her very realisti
Chris Lucas
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really good book, A proper page turner. I'm a fairly fast reader but I flew through this book as every chapter leads you to more. If you like Magic, Action and Adventure and love to ship characters then this book is for you. A must read. :) (Very proud of my Wife)
Esther Dalseno
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gosh. Where to start with this stunning debut?
The Weaver's Riddle is a fast-paced, glorious rainbow of a Young Adult fantasy. It strikes at the heart and stays with you long after you've turned the final page.
A lovable heroine, a doomed bookshop, a new world full of the most incredible hybrid creatures/characters to ever grace the page, a seemingly impossible mission, supporting characters that make you laugh out loud and envy their glorious taste in footwear - there is little not to love about
Jennifer Wilson
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
C.M. Lucas's writing is just a magical as the cover! She weaves a tale that sucks readers into a world that contains both the issues of real life and the epic battles of a magical world. Anya is a strong intelligent young heroine, backed-up by a lovable cast of characters that reader will fall in love with. Mist & Whispers has all of the potential to be a best seller, I can't wait to see where this story goes!
Freedom
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book sent me through SO many emotions, I laughed, cried, even fist pumped the air! I was on the proverbial rollercoaster and bloomin' didn't want to get off!

(I hope to be spoiler free during this review...apologies if this isn't the case!)
I was IN from the get-go, Anya was instantly likable and there was something in her feisty nature and urge to know who she really was that had me rooting for her. I loved her self-deprecation, her passion for books (and cinnamon) and the way she loved and
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Oftomes Publishing!

Mist & Whispers is the first book in The Weaver’s Riddle and tells the story of Anya and her friends. Anya must save Ian’s bookshop and she is determined that the Weaver’s books will be the bookshop’s success. But she didn’t know that saving the bookshop meant going to another realm and saving the kingdom from evil…

Mist & Whispers started really slowly. It was a bit hard
A.J. Torres
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a Young Adult Fantasy novel.

Book Cover: 5* - Can I say, this cover is beautiful. The illustration is amazing as the swirling light provides a bit of mysticism on the cover. I'm going to be honest, this book was a hardcore cover buy for me lol.

Summary/Tagline: 3.5* - The tagline I think is pretty straightforward in my opinion and something I've heard before. "To save a bookshop, first she must save a kingdom." See, nothing crazy, although I was curious how saving a bookshop and a kin
Teresa Barrera
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
First I have to mention how captivatingly beautiful the cover is!
I was sucked in from the beginning. This may be a bit of a spoiler saying this, but I teared up a bit over the events of Iain and I felt for Anya. It's after those events that Anya is set out along with Stephanie, Michael and Tim to save the bookshop and find the Weaver's books.
Little do they know that going on this journey will lead them into an alternate world where myth, magic and magic creatures exist.
I found myself kind of on
Liz Weasleyhead
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I really liked the book at the beginning. I could relate to Anya, her book obsession and the desire to save the Scotts bookshop.
But around 35% of the eBook things got quite messy. There were way too much characters and names to remember and I had the feeling that this had nothing to do with the actual plot from the beginning.
The ending has a huge cliffhanger and was non-satisfying for me.
Lara Thierens
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Claire herself in exchange for an honest review.

I was anticipating this book for months already and I actually had high expectations. Mostly I don't like to have high expectations in case I would be dissapointed but I was everything but dissapointed by this book.

In this book we follow Anya who, after being abandoned by her mother when she was a baby, lives in the Piddling Children's Home. But it doesn't feel like home to her at all. Fortunatly there is Scott's Bookshop
Angel Everdeen
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read an ARC copy as I was a proof reader for this novel. I am not an avid reader nor am I usually a fast reader. However, I could not put this book down! I read it within a couple of days. Each chapter leaves you wondering what will happen next, and when you read the next chapter you are not disappointed! This book has quite a few twists and turns that were completely unexpected. As it is a fantasy novel, there are a number of wonderfully mythical creatures and characters. It's very easy ...more
Kimberly
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
There are no spoilers in this review.

I first met Claire when I started posting book pictures on Instagram. I became a part of this community of book lovers called "Bookstagram". I remember her telling me that she had a book coming out and it sounded amazing. She sent me an ARC copy of her first novel and I was so excited to read it. Before I read it I was slightly scared (because what if I didn't like it?!?), but I wanted to give it an honest review. Thank goodness I was wrong. This book took m
Victoria Morillon
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am interested in finding out where the adventure goes next. It's an exciting notion of different worlds being different books. I enjoyed the spunky heroine even though at times she was a little too spunky. The characters where memorable and there was plenty of action (although scenes seemed a bit rushed sometimes). The main thing that kept distracting me from the storyline was all the name dropping of current well known authors, places, or TV shows.

Hopefully the next installment will be even
Charlotte

This rating is more of my experience reading this than a review of the book itself.
I thought the start was really strong but once the characters moved into the new world my interest depleted. There was no adjustment period and that really put me off. It had the Penceive children from the Narnia series when they go back in Prince Capsian rather than them entering the world for the first time.
Lacy Hess
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book to read! The story starts out in our world and then moves into a fantasy realm, which is something that I've always loved in books, and the premise was intriguing. The main character, Anya, begins the story wanting to save the small bookstore that has given her a feeling of family which, as an orphan, is important to her. In her quest for its salvation, she and her friends are pulled into a strange world under threat from a Darkness that makes their return to their own w ...more
Livingourwildestdreams❤️
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an epic fantasy with amazing world building and enjoyable characters. Anya has been an orphan her whole life and the only place which felt like home to her was Scott's bookshop, the last place she knew her mother had been before leaving her at the foster home. After Scott passes away and the bookstore is about to close down, Anya follows a hunch to find books written by an author known as the weaver. Books by this author have made the rival bookstore thrive and shes hoping to discover m ...more
Karen Mace
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this to be a fun read but definitely a book of two halves!

The first half was the strongest for me as i found the storyline really interesting, the characters well defined and easy to relate to. But the second half fell a little short as it ended up feeling a little too overwhelming, a little confused, characters changing personality too much and found the magical world to be a little messy. But any book that is set around a bookshop and features dragons and magic has enough going for i
M.M. Wedin
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I enjoyed Mist & Whispers. (I told myself a while ago I would stay away from YA now, but this one spoke to me). It's a mixed bag of feelings after finishing it. It has the typical writing style of YA (with dialogue and characters) and I'm giving it 4 stars because I want to read the second in the series, which doesn't happen often!

Love the story, the riddles, and I actually like the Anya (the main character). It was fast paced at times, and kept my interest the whole way through. Awesome!

Thi
Tammy
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The cover drew me in first. Not this one but the one on Amazon. The story started out well with a book store, death of a mentor, and a mysterious riddle. Once they started to solve the riddle it fell apart for me. The characters were inconsistent. At times they acted their age and others they seemed much, much younger and immature. The story would head in one direction and then jerk to another. Flow was off with the story and that made me have trouble staying interested in it. This one was a mis ...more
Bailey Marissa
This is a solid first book. The plot and worldbuilding is AMAZING. The characters are pretty awesome. One thing that I did notice was that at 509 pages, there could a been a little bit of trimming of some of the Michael/Anya scenes so that it could be around 498-500 pages. But that's just a personal preference.

It's a great book and I'm looking forward to the second book.

Recommend 13+ for magic, language, and hinted sexual content (?). Once they got into the world hopping there were little to no
Sarah Brown
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the idea for this story.
I really enjoyed following our main character and learning what she learnt. I also loved that there were a couple of stories within the story, it really kept my brain working.

As there is a lot of information to remember I recommend reading it as quickly as possible otherwise you'll forget several bits and get confused. I read it in 2 sittings.

Really looking forward to reading book 2.
Michelle Bruhn
An interesting plot with many mysteries. A few too many mysteries for me, honestly—I'm a little frustrated with how much is left unexplained, especially when it comes to how Anya's powers work. I know there are more books to come, so mysteries will eventually be explained, but everything she did at the end was a bit too deus ex machina for my taste.

I loved Lorcan, Tim, and Steph, and the world was interesting. I will very likely pick up the next book when it's available.
Melonie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the first page. It it like Ink Heart meets the Liberians. You never know what will happen next! Loved it! Full of magic, mystical creatures, books and so much more! I am very excited for the next book!!!
Jaime
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Beginning

Wonderful start to what I think will be a great fantasy/adventure series. Great storyline and down to earth characters you can really relate to. Looking forward to the next book!
Charlotte Campbell
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book that I automatically began rereading as soon as I finished it.
Chantal Aurora
DNF at 48%
January 19,2017- March 12, 2017
I decided to DNF this book. I'm so bored and its gotten to the point where I have to force myself to read it. It's just a generic typical fantasy book nothing new. Since I am very behind on my reading goal I will be counting it as read since I did read a lot of it. This might change in the future.

March 17, 2017
I feel like I'm cheating marking this book as read. I'm taking it off.
T.W.R. Shelton
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.***

~*~ “A moment is coming soon where you need to go against your instincts. I need you to remember that sometimes you must leave things behind to move forward. - C. M. Lucas ~*~

Summary from Goodreads: “Imagine a world in eternal darkness. A world where skeletal beasts lurk in the forest. Where the women are missing, and the men are in need of salvation...

In the West-English town of Little Wolf Green, Scott's
Melissa
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely magical. This story was pure magic from the first page to the last. I definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. I'm eagerly anticipating the next novel.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Delete Books's Duplicate Page 4 26 Apr 09, 2016 01:20PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please can my Book Cover be updated? 2 22 Mar 14, 2016 07:45PM

• Out Behind the Barn
  • The 52nd (The 52nd #1)
  • Granted
  • Glimmering
  • Rowan of the Wood (Rowan of the Wood #1)
  • The Girl Who Could See
  • Untitled (Wrapped, #2)
  • The Grown Ups' Crusade (The Neverland Wars, #3)
  • Crane (The Legends Saga, #1)
  • The Seascape Tattoo
  • Viral Airwaves (Viral Airwaves, #1)
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • Tillsammans
  • Ruffleclaw
  • Scepter of Fire (The Mirror of Immortality, #2)
  • Galina Petrovna’s Three-Legged Dog Story
  • Blindsided (Sentinel Securities, #1)
Claire Marie Lucas lives in South-East England with her husband and three children. She began writing stories from inside her wardrobe at the tender age of six and hasn't stopped writing in obscure places since; her current favourite being the cupboard beneath her stairs.

Mist & Whispers is her debut novel.

The Weaver's Riddle (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Weaver's Riddle, #2)