Start by marking “The Killer in Me” as Want to Read:
The Killer in Me

The Killer in Me

Seventeen-year-old Nina Barrows knows all about the Thief. She’s intimately familiar with his hunting methods: how he stalks and kills at random, how he disposes of his victims’ bodies in an abandoned mine in the deepest, most desolate part of a desert.

Now, for the first time, Nina has the chance to do something about the serial killer that no one else knows ex
Published July 12th 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,440 voters
Vicarious by Paula StokesA Study in Charlotte by Brittany CavallaroThe May Queen Murders by Sarah JudeThe Darkest Corners by Kara ThomasWink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
2016 YA Mysteries
49 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Killer in Me
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Let's have a minute of silence dedicated to everything that was missing in The Killer in Me, okay?

RIP, suspense. You almost tricked me in the beginning, but soon it became clear that I'd entered a magical place where somehow, I am Sherlock (I am not). Not to be mean or anything, but I feel a little baffled by the fact that I'm supposed to acknowledge the existence of twists in there. Twists there aren't, but rather long, laborious passages in which I know what's happening and the MC just can't FIGURE IT OUT. Did Iokay?
RIP,
Kali Wallace
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to read an ARC of THE KILLER IN ME and I loved it!

This is a wonderfully creepy, super intense, fast-paced psychological thriller that kept me guessing with its twist and turns. The impact of what Nina is going through--seeing a serial killer's actions every night when she dreams--is visceral and emotional, and her determination to do something about it had me cheering for her the whole way (even when I was also yelling OH MY GOD GIRL YOU ARE IN SO MUCH DANGER WHAT ARE YOU D
Anna Breslaw
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book, and—no surprise to me—I found it incredibly compelling. First of all, I loved how the writing style was so sharp and to the point, maximizing the adrenaline that really gets a story like this going. It actually kind of reminded me of Suzanne Collins' prose in that way.

But more than that, I really liked the unique story. I'm sort of a serial killer/murder junkie, and there's a buttload of fiction about murder, sure, but not a lot of YA fiction (actually, fic
Kathleen Glasgow
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book in which a review can only discuss style and substance, because to discuss any sort of plot detail will give away most of the book's pleasures, which are many. Harrison has written a taut (and even kind of tender) thriller that is noirish in all the best ways. She's got a confident hand when describing the eerie, did-you-really-see-what-you-think-you-just-saw landscape of New Mexico and when plumbing the depths of Nina Barrow's 17-y-o psyche. Nina is unlike any other heroine in YA ...more
Ashley Blake
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gah, this book was so, so twisty and creepy. Perfect pacing, distinct voices, this book was a total mind f*ck. I loved every minute and this is definitely one of my favorite thrillers out there.
Jeff Giles
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely addictive thriller about a girl who knows more about a murderer than anyone could ever want to. It reveals its secrets with an aching precision. I loved it.
Jonah Lisa Dyer
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is keep-you-up-at-night disturbing. It is masterfully written & perfectly paced to pull you in, jerk you around for a while, then whip you into a frenzy of page turning to the end. It's dark & quiet, then fast & frightening. Great characterizations. It reminded me of The Lovely Bones with hints of the creeptacular short story called The Yellow Wallpaper. Highly recommend.
Adriana Mather
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliant! It is an engaging thriller about a teenage girl, Nina, who has a window into the life of a young man while dreaming. The problem is that the young man seems to be a serial killer.

Are the murders really happening? Or is Nina losing her mind? When Nina sets of on a trip to stop the killer, what she finds turns her world upside down.

To say that this book is riveting would be an understatement. Harrison's prose is taut at points and lyrical at others. What an exciting read
Caleb Roehrig
THE KILLER IN ME is a dark, satisfying, and twisted thriller, and I loved it from page one. It's Gregg Olsen's RUN meets Eyes Of Laura Mars by way of Barry Lyga's I HUNT KILLERS; a heart-pounding race to an inevitable showdown that will keep you up late late late, because you won't be able to put it down until you finish it. Nina, the protagonist, is a driven and compelling character - a true bad-ass that you have total confidence in...but whose safety you fear for the whole way through - and her ac ...more
J.C. Davis
Harrison brings her story to life with vivid settings, memorable characters and a mystery at the heart of the novel that had me guessing the entire way through. I was up ridiculously late reading because I couldn't bear to put the book down.

From the first word to the last, I was enthralled and eager to see where the story would go next. I second-guessed myself so many times! What a wonderfully creepy and fantastic premise and a flawless execution.
Emily France
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-ya-debuts
YOU GUYS. After only one chapter of this book, I was checking the locks on my doors. And windows. I was jumping at noises. Harrison masterfully builds tension from the very first word, and the creep factor is off the charts. What a ride! A fantastic thriller full of twists and turns from a wonderful new YA writer. (Reviewed ARC copy)
Janet McNally
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really masterfully plotted thriller. It's a tense read (which is what you want in a thriller), and has a vivid desert setting and great character development. I love when reading a book feels like traveling because the place comes alive on the page, and while I don't want to vacation anywhere near a murderer, I loved feeling as if I was really immersed in an actual place. Can't say much about the plot without spoilers, but it's a very fresh take on a murder mystery. Nina has a great, c ...more
Sarah Ahiers
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh I was so super excited to read this book. I love thrillers and I feel like we don't get enough of them in YA, so I was hooked on the premise alone.

And the book did not disappoint!

Nina has secrets. Secrets of her own, yes, but also the secrets of a man who calls himself The Thief. And who sneaks through the night, looking for victims. And who hides their bodies where no one can find them. No one but Nina, that is.

So she sets out across the country, determine
Karen Fortunati
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Killer in Me is one of the most gripping and suspenseful books I have ever read. It's a paranormal-centered mystery - with a vibe similar to a Stephen King novel/The Girl on the Train. Without giving away any spoilers, the potential killer is a mind-boggling twist that kept me racing through the pages. Harrison has created a tight, credible, and fast-paced plot with realistic dialogue and relationships. The characters shine and how she builds empathy for the cold-blooded psychopath is astoun ...more
Beth
I beta-read this book last year, and it's great. So creepy, atmospheric and memorable. Margot Harrison is definitely one to watch.
Nicole
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the good fortune of getting to read an early draft of this book, and it is fabulous. It has a wonderfully dark, atmospheric tone, a cracking-fast plot, and a twisty storyline that will keep you guessing until the very end. Nina isn't your typical YA heroine -- she has a gritty, dark side to her, a fascinating secret she's hiding, and a grim determination to find the killer and stop him, no matter the cost. Add to that one of the creepiest, well-layered villains I've read, plus some scintil ...more
Kristy Acevedo
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading the ARC on Halloween. Dark and wonderfully disturbing.

(I did not receive any compensation for this review.)
Amy Allgeyer
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly, deliciously creepy. The Killer in Me is a can't-put-it-down thriller that's sure to keep you reading deep into the night...with the lights on.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

With the rising popularity of YA mysteries/thrillers and the never-ending demands for a creepy and suspenseful read, The Killer in Me was pretty much guaranteed to succeed before it was even finished. The few early reviews that could be found had nothing but praise for Harrison’s debut, emphasizing mind-boggling twists and a very creepy atmosphere. A reliable publisher and a truly fantastic cover only added to the conviction that we hold a future bestseller in our hands, a book destined to be lo
Katie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THE KILLER IN ME is a finely written, creepy psychological thriller with exceptional characterization. I got a crick in my neck from looking over my shoulder and had to turn on every light in the house. I also kept poking the dog to get him to bark (to keep bad guys away). Essentially, Margot Harrison needs to send me to a chiropractor, chip in on my electric bill, and apologize to my dog.

This was one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time, and will appeal to adult readers as much as to
Selene
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rapid16
This was SO creepy and unputdownable. It's a tribute to Margot Harrison's talent that I cared as much about the lead characters as the satisfying twists and turns in the plot. Definitely one to watch, preferably with one eye open at all times.
Allison
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully original YA mystery-thriller! (with a bit of an otherworldly edge to it)

The overall atmosphere was one of genuine and delightful creepiness. I was pleasantly surprised that the story was told in alternating viewpoints (I wish there had been a few Dylan chapters). That really kept me guessing and ratcheted up the sense of unreliability and confusion. Loved Nina, loved Warren, and adored all the twists and turns. Kept me guessing until the very end!
Nina Rossing
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
Great thriller! This story is atmospheric and creepy, and it has some chilling scenes that are very quiet and eerie, to great effect. I think the protagonist (Nina!) has realistic reactions to events - she's also an active protagonist who seizes opportunities when she sees them. Overall a splendid book.
Stacee
Jun 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book sounded like everything I could have ever wanted and yet, I was so disappointed.

I liked Nina well enough. She's got this weird thing happening and she tries so hard to do right by it. For most of the scenes, she fell flat. Perhaps that was all a way of showing how exhausted she was and if that's what it was, kudos for it being super effective. I did like Warren and the history he and Nina had. I liked that he was so loyal to her and willing to help in whatever way he could.

The plot w
Dr.Mandi Fessler
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredible! Super unique psychological thriller that I did not want to put down!!!!
Kirsty-Marie Jones
Dec 31, 2015 marked it as to-read
Has there ever been a more me book? (Besides The Dead House) Sounds twisted as fuck. I LIKE.
Kitkat
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I wasn’t sure if I would like it but I like the character development. I love that they took time to reach climax even though it was a little boring. I really liked how everything was explained and I loved the antagonist. He was awesome and sad.
Kyra M
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! So fresh and unexpected especially for a YA. I was surprised it was a YA actually, because of the content and the complex story.
Nina is somehow involved and knows about the killings of the Gustafsson's by witnessing their killer.
This story is driven by her obsession with this killer as well as warrens obsession with Nina.
These two characters really balance each other through the story and I found they play well with each other's neurosis.

***SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT*** ...more
Jessica
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whoa. Seriously, I don't know what else to start this review out with other than that one word. Even though the synopsis promised a wild ride through a killers mind, I don't think I was quite expecting how intense this book was going to be at times. In fact, I'm impressed. I don't know how she did it, but Margot Harrison has managed to write a book that is equal parts wonderful and terrifying. If that doesn't make any sense to you yet, just trust me that you need to pick The Killer In Me up. ...more
Zoe
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it

Margot Harrison's debut The Killer in Me was an atmospheric and well-written mystery, but ultimitely it wasn't anything especially memorable or life-changing, which is especially disappointing given the creative premise.

Every night, 17-year-old Nina Barrows sees through the eyes of a serial killer named "The Thief." Unwilling to watch any more innocents die, Nina embarks on a cross-country mission to stop The Thief before he kills anyone else.

Nina is a decent protagonist, but ultimitely I just wanted a bit more from
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • When I Am Through with You
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
  • The Missing Season
  • Light as a Feather (Weeping Willow High #1)
  • Holding Smoke
  • This Is Our Story
  • The Color of Lies
  • Bad Call
  • Feral Youth
  • The Stranger Game
  • Killer Instinct (Killer Instinct, #1)
  • The Birthday Girl
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • The Delusion: We All Have Our Demons (The Delusion #1)
  • Fear Street Super Thriller: Party Games / Don't Stay Up Late (Fear Street Relaunch, #1-2)
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
I was raised in the wilds of New York by lovely, nonviolent parents who somehow never managed to prevent me from staying up late to read scary books. I now work at an alt-weekly newspaper in Vermont, where my favorite part of the job is, of course, reviewing scary books and movies. The Killer in Me is my first novel.