Start by marking “The Secret Loves of Geek Girls” as Want to Read:
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls

Read Book

The Secret Loves of Geek Girls

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  1,691 Ratings  ·  378 Reviews
Secret Loves of Geek Girls is an exciting new nonfiction anthology of comic and prose stories from women in fandom. All the stories in this collection revolve around personal experiences and thoughts on romance, sex, and dating.
Paperback, Kickstarter edition, 280 pages
Published December 9th 2015 by Bedside Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Loves of Geek Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Loves of Geek Girls

Nat
description
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls is a non-fiction anthology mixing prose, comics, and illustrated stories on the lives and loves of an amazing cast of female creators.

Can I just say that this was exactly my kind of anthology?

There are a lot of short stories in this one (around 50), so I decided to feature the ones that captured my heart the most:

This review contains mild spoilers.

Comics by Margaret Atwood:

We start out with 4 comics from Margaret Atwood that I throughly enjoyed.

Minas Truth by M
Karly
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ahh what a book. I loved it so much. The contributors are so diverse: LGBQ, trans, poly, asexual, demisexual, you name it, there's a geek girl writing about it. I had to take a break every few essays because I was so emotional. It's really nice to feel understood by something you're reading, but it can be overwhelming when it hits SO close to home. If you call yourself a geek or nerd, there's a story in here for you.
Sharon
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comixology, re-read
The Secret Loves of Geek Girls is a nonfiction anthology about crushes and friendships and romantic relationships. It tells a variety of stories, written by contributors that include trans women, bisexual women, and women of color. Most of it is prose, but there are some short comics and illustrations interspersed throughout the book. Some of it is written as advice, and a few pieces play around with format, but lots of pieces are straight-up memoir. The book is full of references to big fandoms ...more
Heatherblakely
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, signed
Me, while reading this:

It took me a long time to get through this book. Longer than it should have. I couldn't connect with some of the stories, but man, I (overly) connected with others. I laughed a few times, but I cried many times, because the words hit too close to home (looking at you, Marguerite Bennett). This collection is great because there are a lot of stories by many different women, and there's something for every geek girl to connect with.

It's very difficult to get through if you'
Emily
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm sitting here in my Doctor Who shirt, after having read two books in three days, reviewing this book while also possibly bawling. Maybe. Okay, I'm bawling.

I'm a late in life geek. Most people realize they are a geek early and have time to acclimate. I was a weird amalgamation of multiple labels growing up. I hung out with the smart kids. We were in AP classes, and were good at school and stuff. I read a great deal, willingly, which was weird at the time. But I was also a fairly gifted athlete
Victoria (victoriashaz)
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5
I adore this anthology. There are a lot of amazing Canadian writers and artists that are showcased in this anthology (which I love seeing as a Canadian!)
But with this anthology, I found a lot of resemblance to myself and I think that is what made it so appealing. Realistically, I think that's why it was made, and why it's so important that it was made.
I think this work finally shows the three dimensional female figures that we all know exist in the geek world, but are rarely seeing when read
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
ok guys, I really LOVED this. some stories hit me harder than others but when they did, damn, they hit hard. this anthology is so honest, and fun, and dark, and simple, and complicated: everything love is. also, it's inclusive AND diverse!

the comics are wonderful and the stories too. there's so many ladies I admite in this!

URGH I JUST REALLY LIKED THIS AND CAN'T MAKE ANY SENSE OF MY FEELINGS

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2016/0...
Maria
THIS!!
This non fiction literally touches on so many aspects that are either me or so close to me that it felt too good to be true!!
I'm reading this and literally having to stop because these are the people I've been looking for and I understood so much of the sentiments and feelings that it was hard to dismiss this as anything but facts.
Growing up in a large city has it's own nuances and yes, makes finding like minded people just as hard as in a small city. As a fellow lady nerd who's also an in
Kate
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I backed this on Kickstarter so, full disclosure there. Also I did not intend to sit down and read this in one sitting but I did. I feel like I read it a bit too fast (I definitely didn't; I've apparently been sitting here for a while). When I read this again, and I'm sure there will be several repeat readings, I may need to stretch out. One work a day or something.

Being a Geek Girl (nerd girl, fangirl, whatever your preferred nomenclature) can be an isolating experience as much as it is a colle
Antonis Lamnatos
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Halfway through reading this, a friend asked what I thought of it. I told her I liked it because it gave me a POV on realities I've never experienced. I appreciated the stories from a female/geek/lesbian/coloured/ethnic minority/social outcast perspective. Various combinations of these traits gave me a lot to think about what I felt was by definition "different" than me. The stories themselves are all sorts of funny, touching and consistently interesting. The same holds true for the comics inclu ...more
Csenge
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would pay good money to someone to take a side-trip in a TARDIS and drop this book off into the mailbox of my 14-year-old self.
Or, even better, for a mysterious rich patron to distribute a copy of it to all CURRENT adolescent girls. Geek and non-geek ones alike.
Even at the age of one-week-short-of-30, The Secret Loves of Geek Girls seriously changed my life. It's going to be a while before I can put it all to words, because right now I am just sitting like a happy little bundle under the Chri
Greyson (Grey) Edwards [Use Your Words]
What's your Patronus? I ask, and it seems strange that I have not asked until now.
These are the questions that matter more, more than how many siblings we have, than what our parents do for a living, then what television shows we follow in the fall. What is your Patronus?
What is the thing that represents all protection to you, all reassurance, all strength, all love?
What is the happiest moment you can remember, to summon the spell to you? What drives away the dark in your heart?

The Secret Lov
Melissa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
A great mix of stories about the Secret Loves of Geek Girls. I personally loved that it mixed stories, short comics, and essays covering loves from fandom to loving relationships, from friends to lovers, happily ever afters to heartbreaks.
Deera
May 31, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This anthology about geek girls and their relationships was an interesting reading experience. It's a mix of short stories and comics. The artwork is beautiful. Some of the stories were fantastic; some were dull. Overall, I enjoyed it, but no need to race to your nearest book buying facility.
Stewart Tame
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positively delightful! This is an anthology, a mixture of comics and prose revolving around the theme of the title. Most of the stories seem to be autobiography, not surprising really. There are tales of first loves and crushes and the awkwardness of figuring out how dating and relationships work anyway (hint: It involves much more improvisation than is apparent at first glance. Most people are just as nervous about it as you; they're just putting up a good front.) Although I've never been femal ...more
Margo
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Borrowed this from the library as Margaret Atwood was a contributor to the mix of short stories and graphic novels (can you call them graphic novels when they're less than 5 pages long?). Only dipped in here and there as it wasn't really my cup of tea. Stories were too short and tried too hard to be clever.
Sue
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. There were some that were a little weird and random but, for the most part, completely relateable. The awkwardness of not dating when all you other friends were or not dating until you were a little older. Finding people who really get you and all different types of relationships. These woman talk about it all. There many times where I wished I had this in my early 20s.
Eva
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting, for sure, with some insightful essays and stories, but a lot of the stories were too genre-specific for me to really connect to.
Amber
Kinda all over the place, but I blame that mostly on the changing media and how many contributors there were. I feel like it would have benefited by dividing and expanding.
Marie the Librarian
Some of these stories are amazing! But overall I really like this anthology! So diverse and geeky! Love it!
Alexandra
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i checked this out of the library not really knowing what it was about--i actually assumed it involved the various interests of "geek girls," and while it definitely had comic books, video games, LOTR, etc. in there, it also was about how "geek girls" find and experience love 💕

there were long distance relationships, online dating stuff, not settling for who you just like, and many different sexualities were represented here.

i actually found a label that i had never heard of before:
demisexual--
MochaGeek
3.75 Stars
Julie
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally every nerdy girl
This book is about love. The love of all things geeky, the love of other people like us. Learning that love isn't just about liking the same things, as in the story "Nerd Love" by Irene Koh. Reticent and reserved love, trapped in a world that seems sex obsessed as related by Megan Kearney.

Love of movie stars who represent something they're not. Love of superheroes. Love of everything with David Bowie in it. Long-distance love conducted entirely by computer terminal and iPhone. Love we can never
Dolly
Sep 17, 2017 marked it as dnf-or-set-aside-for-now  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
This book offers a large collection of short stories by and about women. The tales cover myriad subjects, not the least of which is sexuality. For those who think this is 'just another graphic novel,' please be warned that the subject matter is often mature and should be targeted to young adults and, perhaps, very mature middle graders.

The stories are important and validate many of the feelings that women have felt unable to express in other media. It is an inclusive book that does not shy away
Kaitlin
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a mixed one for me but the majority of the book I did really like or related to in some form or other. It's a hard one to review because there are so may different formats and styles throughout that you're bound to like/love some and not like others, but I definitely think there were more I enjoyed a lot than not.

This is a book which includes various female creators in various medias talking about their loves, lives and passions. We see most 'stories' take up between 1-5pgs and so each
Saoirse
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic-genre
A really cute book. Often funny, always charming, sometimes painfully familiar. Some of the contributors I'd never heard of: ones I do know include an intriguing mix of women I've met at cons/festivals; women whose work I've loved; women whose work I totally didn't get; and women whose work i've studied at school... And Mariko Tamaki, who happens to be all of the above. If you are or have been a nerd or a girl, there is probably at least one story you will find relatable in this book. There are ...more
Yvensong
As many of my friends and followers know, I very rarely give ratings of 5 stars. Also, I'm not a huge fan of autobiographies, which this collection of essays, prose, comics, and illustrated stories can be viewed as autobiographical. Yet, this anthology really grabbed me. I had to take it in chunks, at times, because many of the stories contained within really hit close to home, and some are just so full of emotion, that I had to take time to process those feelings.

Growing up geeky or nerdy, in t
Erin Diane
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i received my PDF copy via backing the kickstarter. i told myself i'd only skim through and wait to receive my physical copy to really dive in, but i found myself staying up late, hunched over my laptop, reading every single panel and story. i connected with each author's words, their vision, their styles. thanks so much to hope nicholson and the contributors for putting this amazing collection together!
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
This was super cute and I loved the stories but I actually was expecting something else out of this. I really thought it was going to be more about what geek girls love, not geek girls in love. But like I said, still super cute and the confusion was totally based upon my own neglect to actually read the blurb about what this was about haha. I saw "love" and "geek girls" and got excited and that's about it!
Lexie
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gns-owned-read
ALL MY LOVE. I'll be buying the Dark Horse edition as well, but I'm so very very glad I was able to help Kickstart this wonderful collection.
  • Photobooth: A Biography
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of Our Lives
  • Turning Japanese
  • Anything That Loves
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • How Poetry Saved My Life: A Hustler's Memoir
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
  • Husbands
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • First Spring Grass Fire
  • My Awesome Place: Autobiography of Cheryl Burke
  • Prairie Ostrich
Hope Nicholson is the owner of Winnipeg-based publishing Bedside Press. She's an ardent comics fan passionate about bringing new stories to light, and author of the book "The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen" which shines light on characters forgotten by comics history.
More about Hope Nicholson

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Newcomers: Finding Refuge, Friendship, and Hope in an American Classroom
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific
    $10.99 $1.99
“Dreams, stories, art- they were, and are, instruments of divine intervention that molded you into a woman who dwells in possibility: who now feels herself serene with comfort and strength.” 1 likes
“I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements, awaited those who had the courage to go forth into its expanse, to seek real knowledge of life amidst its perils.” —Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre” 1 likes