Start by marking “The Five Times I Met Myself” as Want to Read:
The Five Times I Met Myself

The Five Times I Met Myself

What if you met your twenty-three year old self in a dream? What would you say?

Brock Matthews’ once promising life is unraveling. His coffee company. His marriage.

So when he discovers his vivid dreams—where he encounters his younger self—might let him change his past mistakes, he jumps at the chance. The results are astonishing, but also disturbing.

Because getting what Bro
Paperback, First, 400 pages
Published November 10th 2015 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Five Times I Met Myself, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Summer
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Beth Vogt
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be mulling over The Five Times I Met Myself by Jim Rubart for quite some time. Of course, I bought the book for my husband -- and then I "borrowed" it from him and read it first. Now I'm insisting that he read it so we can talk about the premise of the book. One thing is for sure: The entire time I read The Five Times I Met Myself, I kept wondering, "How is Jim Rubart going to end this book?" And that is not a bad thing at all. I also agree with the endorsement from bestselling auth ...more
Staci
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Visionary novels are not my usual genre, however, The Five Times I Met Myself won the Christy Novel of the Year Award and received high praise from a trusted reviewer.

If you could go back in time and give yourself advice, at what point in time would you go and what would the advice be? How would that impact your present situation?

This novel is one that made me evaluate my own choices as I lived through Brock's decisions and time travel. There is really nothing further I can say other than this w
Jerry
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most inspiring book (other than the Bible, of course) that I've read in a LONG time! This one makes me want to make some SERIOUS changes in my life!
Andrea Cox
This was a strange story that I wasn't sure I liked until the final eight chapters. It was interesting from the beginning, quite complex, and a quick read. It wasn't always an easy read, since it was a sort of time travel story that I had to stay alert to keep track of the details and time shifts. The author did a fantastic job of creating various realities by crafting unique and memorable settings in very few words.

The faith journey throughout was a bit rough for me, as there were several momen
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Wow! What an intriguing book!! This was the first book I've read by James Rubart, and it will definitely not be my last. The premise of the plot is at once both magical and sobering - a little bit A Christmas Carol, a little bit It's a Wonderful Life, even a little bit Back to the Future... but a whole lot of fascinating.

Plots like these are everything I love about books with elements of fantasy/science fiction, specifically with the bit of fiction that's just close enough to reality to be plaus
Tracey Dyck
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
First of all: I met Jim Rubart at Realm Makers, and he is perhaps one of the kindest authors I've ever talked to! That just makes me love his book even more!

After reading the back cover blurb, I expected The Five Times I Met Myself to be a trippy, introspective novel. And I was right, although it turned out differently than I thought it would. I suspect this story dealing with regret would hit home even more for older readers than it did for myself (being as I have only 20-some years to look bac
Sarita
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by mr Rubart and not my normal genre. Even though this time-travel story confused my brain with thinking how everything is possible, the story kept me so interested, especially not knowing how Brock's world will change when he woke up after one of his dreams.

I really liked seeing how Brock grew as a person from the lessons he learned after each dream.
There was a few times the events after the dreams surprised me.

I loved the ending, that changed my opinion of the book from l
Chantel

“Embrace it, Brock, even though it will be difficult. Face the truth, though it will be painful, for the truth will set you free.”

What if you had the chance to speak to your younger self? What would you say? What would you do? Would you try to change decisions that you made in the past?

The Five Times I Met Myself explores just that, in a captivating and emotionally gripping journey of a man confronting his past... literally. Brock Matthews, in his early fifties, feeIs like his world he once lo
Paula Vince
In this mind-bending novel, we not only get to witness the hero's life, but several alternative lives he might have lived, had he made different choices.

I've often thought, 'If only I got the chance to meet my younger self, there's so much I'd tell her.' I assume many of us feel the same, which is why I was eager to get stuck into this story of Brock Matthews, who got the chance to meet his younger self several times. He assumed it would be a golden opportunity to fix a few things which went hay
Toni Shiloh
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would reread this all again for the purpose of getting to the quote: "Maybe that's what dying to self means. Where you're not worried about being loved, but how well you can love one another."
Christian Fiction Addiction
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
James L. Rubart continues to blow my mind with the intriguing premises that characterize his books, and "The Five Times I Met Myself" is no different. I started the book only meaning to read a couple of chapters before carrying on with my day, but then found myself unable to put it down, such that I had to read it in snatches while trying to carry out the normal parts of life I just wanted to ignore so I could keep reading! The result is that I finished the story all in one day, having been capt ...more
Holly
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favorite book by James Rubart had been his first book, Rooms, until now. "The Five Times I Met Myself" blew my socks off! I loved Brock and his adventure was nothing short of epic. I loved the twists and turns Rubart took me on, but most of all I loved the ending. This book entertained me and reminded me what is truly important in life.

If you enjoyed Rooms, then I think you'll love this one. If you enjoy books that stretch the imagination while giving you a message, then you will probably enj
Neelam Babul
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by James Rubart that I read and isn't from the genres that I usually read. However, it is a combination of fiction with elements of nonfiction that I normally prefer reading.

It is a time-travel story that was slightly confusing, making me wonder how everything occurring in the story was possible. The story was interesting and insightful, full of intrigue and wisdom making it a delight to read.

I liked the premise of the story, how a man, Brock reads a book about lucid dre
Dustin Foutz
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
My second James Rubart novel, The first being Rooms. The five times I met myself is a fun, thought-provoking novel. What would you change in the past? What would you leave the same? Does that change make your future better or worse? What is the main thing that needs to change?
3 1/2 stars = very good. Looking forward to reading some of Rubart's other novels.
Summer
Jul 08, 2017 added it
Shelves: contemporary
Very mixed feelings. Might take me a bit to sort out.
Jackie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The author kept me intrigued continuously throughout this book as to what would happen next. And what a wonderful message. (Occasionally the timeline could be confusing but still a great read!)
Mikeskinner
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book is a fairly compelling story about a man, with regrets about his relationship with his dad, a bad relationship with his brother, and a failing marriage, who is given the chance to go back and give advise to himself as a younger person.

I mainly read non-fiction books. Perhaps this is the reason why I find myself somewhat of a snob when it comes to fiction literature - I only read a handful each year and I expect it to take me into another world, one where I am so engrossed in the narrati
Tima
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brock is greatly disturbed by a dream that he keeps having of his late father. When he mentions this to his friend, his friend loans him a book on lucid dreaming. Brock finds that lucid dreaming can take him back to the past where the decisions he makes change the outcome of his future. Since he is having some difficulties in his marriage and business, he sets about to change the future by influencing his younger self. But it doesn't go as planned. He continues to meet with himself until he lear ...more
Rachael
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never, ever read a speculative fiction book my entire life. However, I won this book through a blog, and I put it in my TBR pile. After it won 2 Christy awards, I decided I needed to read it. What kind of advice would you give your younger self? Would it really change your life for the better? Can God take your mistakes to get you where he can use you? So many things to think about as a reader! James Rubart's The Five Times I Met Myself will change how you look at life, at your years, at yo ...more
John Randolph
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
In my mind, rare is a book worth rereading. Perhaps Grapes of Wrath, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I’ve added The Five Times I met Myself to that list. This intricately woven tale across time will rattle around in your head for quite a while. Many “what if” moments we all carry are beckoned to the surface, taken out, examined and put back on the shelf. Now when I look at the items on that shelf my perspective has changed. Well done James L. Rubart.
Melody
I'll start by saying any review I could write for this book could not possibly do it justice. The Five Times I Met Myself is truly life-changing fiction. It is now, by far, one of my favorite novels. The story is captivating, a real page-turner. I had trouble putting it down. This is one book I couldn't read fast enough, yet I didn't want it to end. The characters ring true and are nicely developed. Brock's story is powerful and beautifully told. His journey is definitely one that must be read b ...more
Lou
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Impressive story with a lot of message!
Gretchen Rodriguez
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Five Times I Met Myself is brilliant story-telling that is anointed, raw, and touching from start to finish. One of James L. Rubart's best works yet!
Alicia Bell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Five Times I Met Myself -

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and honestly thought that God might have had a hand in choosing this book for this time in my life. To me, the book was a mix of spiritual awakening, intentionally looking for and listening to God’s call through a ‘Back to the Future/Groundhog’s Day’ movie theme.

Like Brock, the book’s main character, I have wondered and have had multiple conversations with friends about the paths with which we travel. Have my choices directed me (or pr
Gretchen
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Right Book for the Right Moment in Time

James Rubart is one of my favorite authors. He is able to infuse the supernatural into the real world in the most believable way.
In the weirdest way, I was meant to read this story, at this moment. I've been wanting to read this book since it came out but have shuffled it around in my to be read pile. Until now. The very month I've been given the assignment in my church leadership class to write a letter to my younger self.
I am inspired by Brock's journ
Connie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brock Matthews definitely has issues. He discovers lucid dreaming, but it has a much different effect than he expected. What he tells his younger self in his dreams winds up changing his current life. And not always in a good way.

This book is a redemptive story along the lines of Dicken’s A Christmas Carol or the movie The Kid with Bruce Willis. It’s thought provoking in a lot of the same ways. So if you like that sort of thing, you will probably like this.

It has some light Christian elements. P
Robin O'Brien
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not want to put this book down each time I started reading the book. It is hard to imagine if we could go back in time and tell our young self to change a few things that happened. The story keeps you guessing and interested in what will actually happen next. I really want to read more of this author's books after reading this book.
Erin Laramore
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story-line in typical James Rubart fashion, that deals in pseudo-reality and well-defined spiritual growth. I enjoyed seeing the character growth and spiritual surrender as the book went on. The ending was satisfactory as well, even though I had no idea how they were going to get there. If you enjoy speculative fiction with spiritual growth, I would strongly recommend!
DonnaJo Jo Pallini
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who would not want to go back in time and talk to our younger selves? This book really makes you think. I enjoyed it and loved the way God's grace is woven all through the story.
Karen
Apr 12, 2017 added it
Interesting premise about a man who meets his younger self through lucid dreaming. What would you tell yourself and how would that effect your future?

• The Gate
  • The Crooked Christmas Tree: The Beautiful Meaning of Jesus' Birth
  • Wonders Never Cease
  • A Portrait of Dawn (Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • An Endless Christmas
  • 101 Things You Should Do Before Going to Heaven
  • Room of Marvels
  • Every Waking Moment
  • Providence: Once Upon a Second Chance
  • Temptation (Solitary Tales, #3)
  • Dry as Rain
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • Invitation (Harbingers #1-4)
  • Bryson City Seasons: More Tales of a Doctor’s Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • The Methuselah Project
  • Flywheel
  • Summer's List
  • As the Tide Comes In
James L. Rubart is a 28 year old trapped in an older man's body, who loves to water ski and dirt bike with his two grown sons. He's the bestselling, Christy Book of the Year, Carol, INSPY, and RT Book Reviews award winning author of ten novels, including his latest, The Pages of Her Life. He lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington.
“The one who gets his validation from what he does is dying. The one who gets his validation from who he is, from who God sees he is—that’s the man who is alive now.” 4 likes
“She looked at him with eyes of sadness, which was worse than accusation. When she turned away to stare at his wall of achievements again, she spoke in a whisper. “I was always the wind. You never were. And I have no wind left.” 2 likes