Start by marking “The Road Back From Broken” as Want to Read:
The Road Back From Broken

The Road Back From Broken

For Fitz, having survived means being haunted by the very memories he wants to forget...

Four months after surviving an IED blast in Afghanistan, Army sergeant Jacob Fitzgerald has recovered from his physical injuries but his invisible wounds continue to fester.

Devastated by the loss of his friend Peterson, a gifted medic who was killed in the IED attack, Fitz turns to alco
Kindle Edition
Published October 20th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Road Back From Broken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Back From Broken

Start your review of The Road Back From Broken
Amber
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
One of the marks of a well-written novel (for me, anyway) is that the story taps into universal experiences and emotions in a way that transcends genre. For example: I'm generally not fussy on fantasy as a genre, but I do love certain works of fantasy. While Morgan's debut, The Road Back From Broken, is the story of a military family struggling beneath the weight of psychological combat scars, it manages to both realistically immerse the reader in the American military and connect with broader e ...more
Kelly Sedinger
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
THE ROAD BACK FROM BROKEN is a quiet book in which not a lot "happens". It's not a book with a great deal of plot. Rather, it's a book in which we join an Army sergeant, Jacob Fitzgerald, as his life spins out of control as he struggles with PTSD and survivor's guilt after an IED blast kills his best friend and wounds him very badly. Fitzgerald turns to alcohol and drives his wife and son away...and that's where the book begins. ROAD BACK is an unflinching look at the obstacles in Fitzgerald's w ...more
Julie Towe
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the description, I expected to enjoy The Road Back from Broken. I had waited for months for its publication with high hopes that the unique characters would carry me along with them on an emotional journey, and it delivered just that. But I was surprised by the great detail Carrie Morgan incorporated into her storytelling. The amount of research she put into writing The Road was an unexpected gift to me as a reader. I learned a lot about the military, both past and present. Don't let that p ...more
Allison Maruska
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read that's full of heart

The Road Back From Broken takes a serious and real look at how deployments and military life affect not only the soldier but also those closest to him. Morgan has written deep and meaningful characters that draw you into Fitz's story as he learns about his role in the army and in his own family. I enjoyed watching Fitz move along his well-defined arc. I'm rating it four stars because the narrative was a little slow in spots and omniscient POV isn't my favorite, but
Sandra
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I'd be so emotional after reading this.

Wow. I loved Road. It made me remember how quiet my parents were when my Dad returned from Vietnam. I'd forgotten the tension that surrounded us. We were happy and sad.

I loved the characters and how they interacted. I felt like I was right there with them. Jenn, Fitz and Ryan are a good family unit. They aren't perfect...which makes them real. I loved Remy and Cody.

I hope Ms. Morgan continues to write. She's a great storyteller.

I'm going to
Julie
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love to read a good book about Military life and the Road Back From Broken is one of them. It is a strong story about a man who is not dealing well after coming back from his latest deployment. I also loved the ties to family and the history of the main character's family. She touches on the different people who are affected by a soldier's deployments and the hard years that Military life can bring.
Rick
This book blew me away. I couldn't put it down and finished it in a single day. Great story, and the author has an amazing gift for writing emotional scenes -- I really connected with the characters and the story. If someone you love is or was serving in uniform, or in combat I would highly recommend you give this a read.
Calley Odum
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: college-reads
Read this for class, and ended up understanding it far better than I thought I would.

Is it sick of me to say that it was almost too happy?
Mia
Colin Raunig
Sep 22, 2015
Lisa Jo
Sep 23, 2015
A lawyer by training but a storyteller at heart, Carrie Morgan grew up in Littleton, Colorado but now lives in Florida with her husband, a U.S. Army infantry veteran.

News & Interviews