Start by marking “Dot Con” as Want to Read:
Dot Con

Dot Con

Dot Con is the story of what happened when James Veitch decided to play the scammers at their own game providing a hilarious showcase of the conversations he orchestrates with online imposters. Naturally James replies with an offer of help ready to wire money by Western Union (it's alwaysWestern Union) safely and securely but not before the recipient has given something in ...more
Published August 13th 2015 by Quadrille Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dot Con, please sign up.
Kelcey Stewart I'm about halfway through the book & while it does not have any cuss words in it, some words are larger/more complex and I could see it being an…moreI'm about halfway through the book & while it does not have any cuss words in it, some words are larger/more complex and I could see it being an issue with middle aged kids. (less)

Start your review of Dot Con
MischaS_
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, english
Me when I realised that James Veitch has a book.

description

I was obsessed with his videos for years, it always fascinated me how far he can go with these scammers, and they still continue.

Most of the stories were previously told by James in one of his videos; however, it did have more details here in the book. But probably my favourite part of his videos is how he delivers them which of course you cannot have in the book except when I was reading the stories with his voice in my head.

Btw, why is it
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I became obsessed with James Veitch a while ago while I was on a TED Talk binge and came across the grabbily titled, This is what happens when you reply to spam email . I enjoyed it so much that I ended up Googling him to see if there was any more where that come from and landed on the Scamalot series he did with Mashable. You can imagine my delight, then, when I managed to finagle a copy of his book, DOT CON, which further chronicles his
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Dear James Blunt,

Will you be my book-boyfriend? I don't read much romance, so I am not sure how it's done properly, but you supposedly lock a person you like in a high security personal harem and throw away the destroyed key (nobody can have access to it. NOBODY!) Why would I like to do that you may ask? Because you are totally awesome! You even play guitar and recite Robert Burns on a weird rock. Amazing as hell. And the sentence "When you see vacuum cleaner around sheriff, it means that hand
Christine
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing so hard when I was reading this that I thought everyone on the train was staring at me. But I didn't care.

James Veitch is just so awesome and so funny when he writes back Winnie Mandela or Princess Mina whose uncle has stolen her inheritance. I think we should have the James Veitch movement. Let's go people!
Bandit
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome. The genius of comedians is that they manage to find new and hilarious ways of looking at and talking about everyday things. And the genius idea of James Veitch is writing back to email spammers. You know, the low energy cons of Nigerian princes and so on, third world country entrepreneurs utilizing the opportunity to connect globally to assist the gullible and naïve in contributing to their various economies. A fool and his money and all that. Well, normally you dont think ...more
Noah Crocker
Mar 18, 2020 is currently reading it
I watched a Ted Talk by James Veitch, and he seems like a very interesting dude. I REALLY want to see what this book contains.
Watch the Ted Talk HERE
Brigi
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Right, I realised that I have tons of books that I finished ages ago, and which need reviewing.

This was a really fun and quic read. Heard about the book thanks to a hilarious TED talk of the author. Toaster story is the absolute BEST
Chris Boulton
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's not very often you can say that you're pleased you did something that the Daily Mail suggested.. "read this book," they said, "it's well sick!" (Okay, they didn't use those words... but that's what they meant so, feeling slightly unnerved that I was doing something they suggested, I bought it and finished it in lightning speed.. slowed only because I had other stuff that I had to do, boring stuff, stuff that tbh I probably could have done another day blah blah blah!

Anyway, enough about me.
Robbie Bashore
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this, because I got a lot of belly laughs from the author's TED talks. The book was funny, but it was sort of like hearing/reading variations of the same joke over and over. The other thing was it made the talk look like a conglomeration of several episodes, which felt like deceit to me.
Luv
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any one who hates phishing scams and loves to laugh their asses off
Wow, what a fantastic read. I laughed so much people were giving me the side eye. I saw this book at the library and picked it up after I recognized the author from a 'Ted Talks' video
Franziska
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-hardcopy
The book was hilarious. I can only recommend it to anyone that wants a laugh!
Min
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read! Thank you to Ashley for helping me borrow this book.
Alyce Hunt
While some of the email exchanges were hilarious, others just felt rather repetitive. It's a great concept, I just feel as though it could have been collected better.
Am Y
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of email conversations between the author and various scammers who email him with all sorts of scam propositions (e.g. high-paying job offer, need your help to claim inheritance, friend has lost passport and needs money to help return home, etc etc). Most of the scams are the same/similar, and after some time it gets repetitive. He tries his best to keep them replying to his emails as long as possible and sometimes this yields amusing results. For me it was mildly ...more
Travis
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and hilarious read. What a great idea to respond to scam emails and mess with people! Some of the interactions were funnier than the others but I was interesting to see the scammers trying to hard to get him to send money. The fact that some people in the world actually fall for these is sad, but this book could be used for those people so they know what to look out for.
Dina
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Great for a chuckle. I highly recommend his TED talks. A lot of those are in here, which is why its not getting a higher rating. ...more
Mats-Laes Nuter
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. It's the book you go round with, in your hand, wanting to tell everyone about the lines you just read.
John Hansel
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Susan
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True stories of the ultimate scammer scamming the scammers. We all can relate and as much as we'd all like to get the scammers back, no one has the time, patience and wit that Mr. Veitch most definitely has. I laughed so hard reading this book that I was crying.
Samantha
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a hilarious compilation of James Veitch's email threads when he responds to scammers.
Lexie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why yes, yes this is the kind of humor I like.

I'm one of those folks who when scammers call I basically just mess around with them for the fun of it.

There's a reason we are on the do not call list.

Anyho w found Veitch and his book after seeing his Ted Talk and it definitely brightened my day each time I picked it up. I read it over the cours of a few days, usually whenever I felt stressed and it consistently made me smile or cackle.

By the way Solomon or Henry or Elena, feel free to email me I'd
Natasha Niezgoda
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Literally the BEST coffee table or bathroom book ever! I found myself laughing unabashedly out loud.

James is so freaking clever. The obscene stories he concocts to tool with all the internet trolls are hilarious. The toaster one, holy crap!!!

Seriously, just read it. And then share it. It will brighten up someones day.

I have already passed it along to my mother-in-law and 3 friends.
Jonas Carlsson
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had heard a lot of the scams before reading this because I've seen all James Veitch's TED talks and his web series Scamalot on YouTube. However, I still really enjoyed reading this book. Even though Veitch writes in his introduction that some mails have been omitted, I felt that a lot of the scams were there in full length. There are many of my absolute favourites: Solomon Odonke and his gold and diamonds shipping business, Veitch's insistance of getting a free toaster from a "bank", him ...more
Mekenzie Schmitt
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this book on Kindle because I stumbled upon it in searching for more episodes of the author's YouTube show, Scamalot. It is hilarious, relatable, and has proved very useful! I have read it twice now, once for myself and once out loud at awkward family gatherings and had all my relatives in stitches with laughter and quoting it at one another for the rest of the day! This book made a tense reunion almost enjoyable. It is a powerful work of comedy that I enjoyed very much.
I will say I was
Brenten Gilbert
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
RATING 3.77 STARS

This is a collection of funny exchanges between VEITCH and various spammers / scam artists from around the world. This is something that is right up my alley and things I've done to a lesser extent over the course of my life. However, I have seen a number of these exchanges "performed" on youtube or late show appearances and they are significantly funnier in those settings. Not sure if that ruined any of it for me, but I did enjoy the book and got quite a few chuckles while
Cory
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've seen Veitch's TED talk, then parts of this book will be familiar to you -- Veitch is a comedian who replies to internet scams and spammers in the most bloody-minded way possible.

I think his work is better performed than read, but the email threads in this book are very funny, and he has obviously had a ball wasting the time of a number of scammers. If you liked the TED talk, then you'll like the book.
Elizabeth Marie
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reviews
I received an advanced review copy for free from NetGalley.

In case you don't know, James Veitch has been on TED Talk and various late night shows, showcasing how he messes with scammers. He always states that doing this, is keeping scammers away from people who may otherwise fall prey. He suggests that you can do this too, just don't use your regular email. I thought that we could get some insight about James but the entire book contains emails of him and scammers. While funny, I would much
Candy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has so many laugh-out-loud moments, even if you've seen some of it in his TED talks. I giggled at the fractured English used by the scammers, like the one who wanted payment in Great British Ponds (GBP), as well as their frantic efforts to keep Veitch on track. I'll be dipping back into this one often to lighten up a dreary day!
Jas
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I had never heard of James Veitch before this book but I do get what seems to be an ever increasing amount of spam emails so I appreciated the idea of someone writing back to the spammers and playing along. This book was funny, more sonar first before the gag got old and repetitive.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Edelweiss and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. James you are a funny man and just don't quit, while many see these emails and just delete them, you keep them going hook, line and sinker. You definitely made me laugh out loud.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Very Punchable Face
  • Wrap It In A Bit Of Cheese Like You're Tricking The Dog
  • wijsheid van pelgrims
  • Alles voor het vak
  • The Dilemma
  • The Rabbi's Daughter
  • Verbeter De Wereld. De relevantie van Phil Bosmans vandaag
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • Felix the Railway Cat
  • Night's Reckoning (Elemental Legacy, #3)
  • It's Not Me, It's You
  • Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights: A Journey Deeper into Dining Hell
  • Running with the Firm
  • CITY, 1 (CITY, #1)
  • Between Genius And Genocide: The Tragedy Of Fritz Haber, Father Of Chemical Warfare
  • Facing Ali: 15 Fighters / 15 Stories