Start by marking “The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook” as Want to Read:
The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook

The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook

Finally, a book that addresses your concerns about DID

From Eve to Sybil to Truddi Chase, the media have long chronicled the lives of people with dissociative identity disorder (DID), formerly known as multiple personality disorder. The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook serves as a much-needed bridge for communication between the dissociative individual and therapis
Published August 21st 2001 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jessica Suphan Very much so! It has a ton of resources in the back, as well as a bibliography it pulls from throughout. It's very thoroughly researched and has been …moreVery much so! It has a ton of resources in the back, as well as a bibliography it pulls from throughout. It's very thoroughly researched and has been really helpful with a few clients of mine.(less)
Jessica Suphan It definitely reads like a textbook, but one of the better written ones. Not something I'd say has a literary element to it though.

Start your review of The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook
Sandy
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thorough, accurate and compassionate...ideal mixture of clinical and layman's language. I've given copies of this book to my clients with DID and they have found it helpful; particularly the resources and practical healing strategies.
Elisa
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I came across this book when I was looking into the state of dissociation. Although I don't have Dissociative Identity Disorder myself (or know anyone with it), I found it very useful to understand the concept of dissociation and how it's present in everybody to varying degrees.
Emma
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is definitely more for older parts. It's very textbook-ish but has LOTS of information. We liked the self-care notecard book idea and some of the suggestions about internal communication and the sharing letter template. But it's all very similar to things we've gotten from other sources. If you're looking for a therapist and/or a group it might be useful as a first book, but it's definitely not our favorite.
Caro
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very, very good.

This is an underappreciated textbook that explains, once and for all, that people with mutliple personalities are not ... Gollum.

My preccccccccccccious

Wait, people with multiple personalities actually don't always ... act like Smeagul/Gollum, switching from naive and chaotically good to murderously evil? Because of a ring?

Among mental illnesses and personality disorders, multiple personality disorder (MPD) - now called Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) - is probably the most
Marni Tagami
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in psychiatry, psychology, mental illness, personality disorders, etc.
I have needed to find resources to research this topic, and I count this as the top resource I have found. It's written for the layman, laying all of the information out step-by-step. The explanations are easily understood by the average person, and the reading level is also geared to the average reader. The book makes clear that this Disorder originates in the psychological and pathological realms of coping with severe, prolonged trauma, abuse, and fear. It describes exactly what this Disorder ...more
Dave
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The portions of medication and group therapy and those parts targeted towards therapists exclusively were a downside to the general reader, but otherwise an excellent book that dispels the myths associated with DID and with the more widely used name of multiple personality disorder.
Angie crosby
Jul 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-i-d, non-fiction
Not Good. Wouldn't Recommend. Much Of This Book Is About The History Of Dissociation. We found much of the info in this book to be very basic, so if you are new to DID you may like it.
Sydney
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always been fascinated with psychology (I even got my degree in the subject) and had to pick up this book as it is one of the few on Dissociative Identity Disorder. This covers various therapy styles, defensive techniques, types of dissociation, and so much more. I think it is also a wonderful resource for anyone who has DID or for any family/friends who want to know more!

I only wish that they had covered/discussed more research that has been done with DID since I am most interested in t
Belverly
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource

Great resource for newly diagnosed individuals with DID, their families, friends and spouses.

This book goes into detail for therapy types and how tiger started, as well as the disorder, for those who had never received talk therapy ( or limited amounts) before.

This book was at times triggering, and did warn readers early on that it could be triggering. I recommend reading it slowly and not being afraid to coming back to it to reread.
Marianne
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most respectful and comprehensive guide I've seen. It's broad, and addresses very different audiences, which means it sometimes glosses over some things, necessarily, and I don't agree with every last piece of its advice.... but still it's an amazing accomplishment to have written something so comprehensive, that does such a great job of addressing 3 crucial audiences (people with DID, therapists, people who care about someone with DID). Well done, Ms. Haddock!
Alison
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mft-books
Great book for people struggling with DID, their loved ones, and even mental health professionals. It had a lot of good information and resources. It definitely reads more like a text book, but it uses regular easy to understand information so its great for people who are not familiar with all of the technical terms.
Storybrook System
While the book would benefit from an updated version, there's a lot of solid information here and it remains a good resource for anyone living with a dissociative disorder, particularly DID or OSDD.
Emily Niles
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Extremely informative and interesting so far. I don't want to rate it just yet but I would probably give it a four thus far but I am only about 40 pages thus far so I have a lot to go. I will keep you updated!
Marianne
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
It's rare to come across a client with DID, but because of this it's also rare to come across a lot of info about the disorder in grad school. This book is easy to read and very informative. It would be good for anyone: clinicians, family members and friends of individuals with DID.
Joanne
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful text for the counselor dealing with clients with dissociative disorders on all spectrums.
Psych Client
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am learning about dissociation which I do sometimes and also more about my mom perhaps.
L.J. Penrod
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very informative, lots of case stories from real people. Written so that you don't need a PHD in psychology to understand it.
Stephanie Seymour
Mar 09, 2019
Auri
Jul 01, 2013
Tess Mattis
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2018
Sarah Wright
Dec 18, 2018
Kimmie
May 22, 2019
Karen Kensinger
Jan 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Guitar: Scales Made Simple: Step-by-Step Approach to Positions & Patterns Essential to Music & Fretboard Theory; Straightforward Exercises & Diagrams to ... (Scott's Simple Guitar Lessons Book 2)
  • Surviving Childhood Abuse: Living with DID (dissociative identity disorder)
  • Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization
  • Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Octobers: A Dissociative Identity Disorder Journal
  • In the Company of Crows and Ravens
  • Got Parts?: An Insider's Guide to Managing Life Successfully with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Love Poems
  • Maigret and the Headless Corpse
  • Masters of Atlantis
  • War Primer
  • Love Poems
  • Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy
  • Guitar for Beginners: The Ultimate Guide to Learning Guitar and Mastering Guitar Basics, with Chords and Strumming Exercises for Best Results
  • Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities