Start by marking “Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  257 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Scientific discoveries point to the existence of at least eleven dimensions. This award-winning book explains what these extra dimensions reveal about God and the incarnation, atonement, free will, and predestination.
Published February 1st 1999 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Cosmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Cosmos

Ali
This book is WORTH
Bible is great book "Day-Age Genesis Interpretation"

(Day)

DAY 1

1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

1:2 And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

Most people read the Genesis creation account without using the scientific method and, therefore, make assumptions that are not supported by the text. For example, the first rule of the scientific method is to
David Kemp
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
This is the third time I've read this book // it is on my top 25 list of books to read.

Manny Christians are afraid of science; as if science may destroy their faith – wrong! True science does nothing but validate truth, and since the Christian faith is true, books like “Beyond the Cosmos” are faith builders and helps the Christian to “give an answer” (I Peter 3:15).

Don’t settle for thinking "outside the box", read Ross’ book and think outside the Universe!
Russ Jarvis
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this book if you want to love God with all your mind (Luke 10:27). Share this book with your kids aged 19-34 if you want them to know that there is no contradiction between the discoveries of science and belief in the God of the Bible. "The heavens (continue to) declare the glory of God."
Patrik
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are some thought provoking concepts in this book. Two that specificially stuck out in my mind were the examples of how it is possible for Jesus to appear out of nowhere in the locked room the disciples were in after his resurrection and how it is possible for God to listen to and answer each and every prayer simultaneously (I found this one particularly interesting because I've heard people argue that this is one reason why the idea of God is illogical. One cannot possibly hear millions of ...more
Patrick
This is an odd book. I appreciate that Hugh Ross accepts a large amount of scientific thought in general about the universe. It was the first book I remember reading by an evangelical who argued that the Big Bang was real, and the universe really is billions of years old. I'll have to say I'm in debt to Hugh Ross for opening my eyes about some of these things. However, this book also suggests some rather weird theological ideas, in my opinion. Dr. Ross apparently believes you should use the scie ...more
Olga
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an apologetic suggestion of biblical matters that need explanation and understanding. As Ph.D. Hugh Ross says, our intellectual and technological advances have raised new questions and doubts about many things such as our origin. Thus, making a good use of new scientific discoveries to illuminate hidden notions of the Bible is not an to act to blame or judged by God.

Having said that, Hugh Ross is using the recent discovery of ten-dimenson universe to demonstrate answers for question
Cris Mcgrath
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A must read to explain the most difficult questions.
NASIR
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
COSMOLOGY & ASTRONOMY:

1. The earth in space, affected only by gravity. While other sources declared the earth sat on the back of an elephant or turtle, or was held up by Atlas, the Bible alone states what we now know to be true.

Job 26:7: He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and Suspending the earth upon nothing.

2. The earth is an orb or sphere. At a time when many thought the earth was flat, the Bible told us that the earth is spherical.

Isaiah 40:22: It is He that sitteth upon
Amos
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, no
COSMOLOGY & ASTRONOMY:

1. The earth free-floats in space, affected only by gravity. While other sources declared the earth sat on the back of an elephant or turtle, or was held up by Atlas, the Bible alone states what we now know to be true.

Job 26:7: He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Isaiah 40:22: It is He that sitt
Isaac Carpenter
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
BTC is somewhat a work in speculative theology, which I was initially glad to hear. I think speculative theology done within certain bounds has the potential to be fruitful. Speculation is often how the human mind flourishes and it is done in every science. And, like in other disciplines, speculation will have its limits. Ross 19s starting points are the God of the Bible and String Theory. He seeks to answer various theological problems with his speculation (free will/determinism, how does God h ...more
Victor Neal
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first Hugh Ross book and I loved it. "Beyond the Cosmos" seamlessly combines my inner science nerd and inner Bible nerd. The book starts off heavy with scientific concepts and some complexity (string theory, extra-dimensionality, thermodynamics, etc). I found myself having to re-read certain parts just to get a clear understanding. (I also ended up checking out some other resources online that really helped. Check out "Big Think") Once the concepts are established Ross walks you thro ...more
Danny Barulli
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-earth
Extremely thought-provoking. This book allowed me to comprehend God's transcendent nature in terms of Him being possibly an extra-dimensional being. What I mean is, while we are 3-dimensional beings that live in 4-dimensional space-time. God is at least a 4 dimensional being or 5 or 6 (probably 10 if string theory is right). Also, the book is very compelling in understanding biblical doctrine in light of God's extra-dimensions.
Mark Sequeira
Every believer that wonders about the Sovereignty of God, Calvinism, Arminianism, God's foreknowledge, free will, time, eternity, prayer, etc. would benefit from reading this book!!! While I might not agree with everything in it,...it, along with "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott (which he extensively quotes from) helps address the concept of time and answers the ridiculous assertions about God maybe not knowing everything because we are free creatures, etc.

And while God's sovereignty isn't central to
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)

Hugh Ross is such a great author, all of his books I've read so far I've thoroughly enjoyed. This book really raised some great questions within me and made me want to delve deeper into the faith. Ross's explanations are pretty easy to understand and I am glad for that. The points that this book was hitting were great and I enjoyed lea
Garrett Cash
The extra-dimensionality parts at the beginning were eye opening and fascinating, but the second half of the book is essentially second-rate average apologetics with some questionable conclusions made in light of the idea of the multiplicity of the dimensions God resides in. I think this would have been better as an in-depth article about extra-dimensionality without the last three quarters.
I disagreed with Ross in many of the theological conclusions he makes from the concept of extra-dimension
Dave
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is my first Hugh Ross book and I was not overly impressed. I believe the subject matter, namely, the extra-dimensionality of God is a helpful topic to understand. But Ross tries to fit too much into such a small book. He's far too willing to throw about the term 'proof.' Several of his conclusions are, well, too conclusive. He bases a lot of his conclusions on a one-sided interpretation of particular passages of scripture, in essence doing what Ken Ham does but in the opposite direction. Fi ...more
Mont'ster
Jun 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Although I disagree with many of Dr Ross' conclusions concerning the age of the universe, I find what he has to say about the nature of time itself to be fascinating. His reasoning from the nature of time to the nature of a Being that must necessarily operate above and outside of time is great food for thought.

If you've ever seen Dr Hugh Ross on his television show (with his buddy "translating" into normal English) you will be happily surprised - this book is actually not horribly hard to read
Bryant Delafosse
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hugh Ross opens a whole new dimension of understanding of the Creator of the Universe and our relationship with Him using true logic and conceptual physics. For the first time, I've gained perspective on ideas that I've only taken on faith before. And the writer who has accomplished this feat is not a priest but a scientist. He has expanded my understanding of not just the universe, but small corners of my own soul. I look forward to reading more of his work in the future.
Anthony Faber
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
The author claims that several unproven (as far as I know) physics concepts explain god. I particularly liked his reasoning that there's TOO MUCH evil for evolution to be true. I don't see this as at all persuasive unless you're already a believer and either know less or (maybe) more physics than me.

Jared Leonard
Apr 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Ross was originally an old earth advocate who has jumped onto the intelligent design (ID) movement. This book gets very technical at points and was written before he signed on with ID so you wont see much of the connection. It's easy to get lost in the science jargon and his particular method of conflating theology and science will be lost on you if you don't care one way or the other.
Stanley
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
An astrophysicist makes the case for God. Comes with an accessible introduction to where the idea of multiple dimensions first came from and why physicists are so excited by string theory.
Mark
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Extremely thoughtful presentation of the possible ramifications of God
Meg2
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like physics and religion
Honestly, pretty fascinating. I would recommend it even if you aren't into religion. Its fully of fascinating physics, math and astronomy. I really enjoyed it, even though it made my brain hurt.
Bryce Eickholt
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely in my top 5 favorite books. read it 3 times plus I have the DVD based on it.
Great for all those questions about how God does stuff that seems impossible.
Chad
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sciencereligion
Interesting reading at times, but very far fetched. It's a confusion of creationism and real science.
Gail Kennon
some interesting points early when talking about Physics theological implications but then i found it heavy going in protestant teachings.
Michael Walker
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Astrophysicist defends some of the Christian beliefs using scientific, analytic and mathematical discoveries. Enlightening, educational reading!
W. Boutwell
  • Who Was Adam?: a Creation Model Approach to the Origin of Man
  • The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth
  • Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science Theology
  • Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism in Science, Law Education
  • Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe
  • The Privileged Planet: How Our Place in the Cosmos Is Designed for Discovery
  • Evolution: A Theory In Crisis
  • Hard Sayings of the Bible
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design
  • Why God Won't Go Away: Is the New Atheism Running on Empty?
  • Darwin's Doubt: The Explosive Origin of Animal Life and the Case for Intelligent Design
  • The Soul of Science
HUGH ROSS launched his career at age seven when he went to the library to find out why stars are hot. Physics and astronomy captured his curiosity and never let go. At age seventeen he was the youngest person ever to serve as director of observations for Vancouver's Royal Astronomical Society. With the help of a provincial scholarship and a National Research Council (NRC) of Canada fellowship, he ...more
More about Hugh Ross
“Those of us who invite God's Spirit to live in the core of our being and to express Christ through us - body, soul and spirit - become linked forever with God.” 21 likes