Start by marking “A Viper in the Forest (Young Marian #1)” as Want to Read:
A Viper in the Forest (Young Marian #1)

A Viper in the Forest

(Young Marian #1)

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for ISBN-10: 0994842627 / ISBN-13: 9780994842626.

Marian and Robin’s carefree childhood in Sherwood Forest takes a dark turn when the arrival of a cruel new lord sets off a series of intrigues including robbery, kidnapping and murder.

Marian watches in horror as the man strides, weapon in hand, toward where Robin lies helpless. But whe
Published July 31st 2015 by Doodles Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Viper in the Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Viper in the Forest

Start your review of A Viper in the Forest (Young Marian #1)
Kellyn Roth
Wow, that was really a fantastic book! I’m considering buying a copy for my younger (12-year-old) brother for Christmas. I think he might like it, especially since my mother’s reading The Adventures of Robin Hood to him now. I think my nine-year-old brother might enjoy it, too.

This is an amazing retelling (or rather prequel) of the Robin Hood story. Told from thirteen-year-old Maid Marian’s point of view, A Viper in the Forest tells the story of Robin and Marian’s first escapade (at least, I ass
Allies Opinions
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It’s not often that characters as famous as Maid Marian and Robin Hood are brought into stories as children. It gives them more depth than they previously had.

These are beloved characters and I was very happy to see this author do them justice.

Most of what I have read about Marian made her out to be this damsel in distress. Not this book. In this book she is the one doing most of the saving. She is a badass. She gives Robin a run for his money.

This sets an incredibl
Charity
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Michaela, age 11 years, 8 months

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This was a GREAT book! I really enjoyed all of the action packed in to it! I think that the author was trying to create a more action packed Robin Hood, which she aced!

My favorite character is Robin because he would rather help the poor then spend time with his friends. He is a good person with a good heart.
JP Reviews
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this book. It does a good job of retelling the story of Robinhood, but as youngsters and from Marian's POV.  She is a strong, independent, likable character that I think a lot of children especially little girls can look up to.

I really have no complaints. It was an easy read that is age appropriate. It leaves off at a point where it can segue into the second book and in a way where you want to continue reading to find out if Robin's suspicions are correct about Guy.
Laure Estep
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story, a good adventure with some nice character development.
Toni Owen-Blue
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Middle Grade Readers
It was completely impossible for me, when Mandy Webster emailed me with a copy of Viper in the Forest to request a review, to say no to it. Middle Grade fiction, yay. Empowered female protagonist, Yay. On top of that, set in the Olde Forest of Sherwood, with a new take on the tale of Robin Hood. Having been born and spent much of my life in Sherwood Forest you would think I would be bored of the stories by now, but I’m really not, and I was interested to see if Webster’s take was as exciting as ...more
Don Sloan
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this excellent YA tale, a teen-aged Maid Marian shows that she is far from the winsome and demure young lady who captures the heart of Robin Hood in later life. In fact, this compelling book gives us an extraordinary look at what might have been the genesis of their relationship -- and it's a story that will capture the hearts and minds of adult readers, too.

We first meet Robin, Marian and Midge as they are scampering to their secret treehouse with goodies they've liberated from the castle's
Samyann
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder about the life of Maid Marian before the perceptions we all have had based on The Adventures of Robin Hood? Would you like to introduce a young adult to the wonderful world of reading? Buy this book!! A wonderful gift.

What a terrific first novel! The middle ages in England is beautifully conveyed. Marian is far from a doey-eyed damsel in distress needing rescued, but a strong lead character.
Colorful and enchanting in detail, you’ll find yourself page-turning and staying up too late.
Amy Shannon
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great not-a-damsel-in-distress story

It brings the reader into the young lives of Robin, Marian, and Midge. A great YA story for the young and young at heart before Robin had merry men and before Marian was just another maiden needing rescuing. My favorite line was from Marian. "“You never give me any credit for anything! Not once do you acknowledge when I get you out of a scrape, and then you expect me to swoon like some damsel in distress when you –” said to Robin. Highly recommended.
Belinda Knight
A Goodreads Win.

3 1/2 Stars

I found this to be a great little adventure, with wonderful imagery ( love Sherwood Forest ) and really fun characters. Although I've never been a big fan of the whole Robin Hood / Maid Marian story, I very much enjoyed their younger selves. Marian a brave little spitfire and Robin with his boyhood charm already fighting for the justice of others made for an entertaining read. I've already passed this along to a friend and my grandson is in line as well.
Richard
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written in a fairly classical style that remains easy to read. The story is not very long and complete as it stands, but also leaves plenty open for a subsequent volume. More later...
Rachel D.
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit older than the intended age range for Viper in the Forest but I still ended up enjoying it. Webster does a good job of writing for younger readers without dumbing down any of it. This is definitely a must for any kids who are fans of Robin Hood.
Heather Hayden
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. The Robin Hood legend has always fascinated me. I grew up reading a series about a girl called Rowan, who discovers she's Robin Hood's daughter. This story puts yet another twist on the old legend, by telling it from Marian's point of view. This isn't the Robin Hood of legend, though! It's set in a time when they're still young, long before Robin Hood became the famous woodland-dwelling outlaw. Even Guy of Gisborne has an appearance, one that is both intriguing and heartbre ...more
Pitichi
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway
I can't sayI found this book hard to ready: both the story and style are not what I am used to. Maybe it is because English is not my mother tongue, but even the characters and their behaviours upset me, they sounded fake, overblown, far from reality.
Dan Jackman
Mar 09, 2016
Corinne Morier
Note to self: A Robin Hood retelling written by one of my lovely Twitter followers. Definitely pick it up and give it a chance!
Tomigirl44
Kah Cherub
Olga Kribototzik
Trica Johnson
Jan 04, 2016
The idea for the Young Marian series came about in 2012 but the inspiration for the series probably began when author Mandy Webster moved to England at age 17. It was here she first became entranced by English folklore, particularly the stories of King Arthur, and the tales of Robin Hood. Scenes from the popular 80s BBC TV series Robin of Sherwood were also shot nearby.

As a writer for the popular

Young Marian (2 books)
  • Echoes in the Cavern (Young Marian #2)

News & Interviews