Start by marking “The Christmas Angel” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Angel

The Christmas Angel

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  482 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Introduction and Afterword by Joe Wheeler What would people do if they found her childhood toys lying in the street? Act selfishly? Miss Terry tossed each toy one by one to the snowy sidewalk in front of her house. But her heart is moved when she sees the Christmas Angel kicked aside. Remembering all the years it graced her family mantel, she rushes to rescue it. Back insi ...more
Published September 9th 1999 by Focus on the Family Publishing (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Angel

Sheila
A very nice Christmas story, from times gone by. I like to find new Christmas stories to read to my daughter every year at Christmas time and this one fit the bill. The ending would never happen, or be allowed to happen, in today's world, but it was still a sweet story with a nice message about the spirit of Christmas.
Amber
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooksiown
This was a pretty good Christmas story about a woman who throws out toys she don't want anymore and what happens when people discover them all thanks to a Christmas angel. I found this for free on project Gutenberg.
Kathryn
This book was extraordinary. I've recently stumbled upon Joe L. Wheeler. He describes himself as an aficionado of great stories for as long as he can remember. Many years ago he received a letter from a lady looking a list of books to read. She said "I want to use my time wisely, to choose books which will not only take me somewhere but also make me a better and kinder person". That sounds just like me! So The Christmas Angel by Abbie Farwell Brown is the first on his list. I am following his bl ...more
Billie
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I truly enjoyed this quick, easy holiday read that takes place in a time long gone.

Much like other reviewers' opinions, this has the feel of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", albeit on a much smaller, shorter scale.

An old spinster woman decides she is ridding herself of all things Christmas in an old box of toys. While doing so, she "tests" the height of others' Christmas spirit as they pass by her home. While the ending would not and could not possibly happen in today's society, the story is a good
Lillie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An American retelling of A Christmas Carol, with an old maid the Scrooge of this story. Although the story was written over a hundred years ago, it could happen today. It's a heartwarming Christmas story, but beyond that, it's a good lesson in why bad things happen to good people. Miss Terry threw her old toys out in the street one by one and saw kids fighting over them and adults damage them. She thought everything was bad, but when the angel let her see the full picture of what happened, she r ...more
Darlene Ferland
Avery different Christmas story. Blending history with traditions and family, Ms. Brown adds depth to her work. You won't see Santa and excess. You will find the fullness of her characters outstanding and you will keep turning those pages until it's done!
r fred Kinsler
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Tearjerker

This is a sweet old Christmas story that will enthral you.
It is an enjoyable old time Christmas story that will bring tears to your eyes.
Emily
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My poor sad readers. My sympathies to all of you and the loss that you must have felt, because I read Abbie Farwell Brown's The Christmas Angel and forgot to review it in my last blog. How did none of you clamor to ask me my thoughts and opinions on this middling tale of holiday orphans? Maybe you knew already. Maybe you already read The Christmas Angel and you sadly shake your head and wonder what kind of a derisive, vulgar old maid I will turn out to be every time I utter a "fiddlesticks." Tha ...more
Maureen13
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book should be read as a Christmas Classic, just as short and sweet as A Christmas Carol, and The Night Before Christmas. I wouldn't say that it is exactly on the same level, but pretty close, so put it on your list to read every yule time of year.
Mitchell
WARNING!: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!

The Story Starts out when Miss Terry has her servant girl Norah bring a box into her living room. The box is full of toys and then Miss Terry starts burning them after Norah leaves to look at lights. She soon sees some toys that she decides to use as experiments to see the results from people. She starts with a Jack-in-the-box and the results do not convey the "Christmas Spirit" at all. She does several more experiments, and each one ends in the same way, with on
kelley
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, kindle
As introduction an excerpt from the beginning of The Christmas Angel:

"Stuff and nonsense!" mused Miss Terry scornfully. "What is our Christmas, anyway? A time for shopkeepers to sell and for foolish folks to kill themselves in buying. Christmas spirit? No! It is all Humbug!"

That might sound familiar--it reminds the reader of the Dickens tale "A Christmas Carol" which was written in 1843. This book was written approximately 50 years later but had a similar feel to it.

I like to read the old storie
Carol
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book...loved, loved, loved it. This short novel should be on every family's Christmas list. Children of all ages will love it. Along the same line as Dickens' Christmas Carol (but better in my view), Abbie Brown tells the story of Miss Terry and her Christmas Angel. The Angel shows Miss Terry the spirit of Christmas. As an "experiment" Miss Terry throws outside (for others to find) several old toys of hers to show, that as she believes,there is no Christmas spirit. She starts with a ...more
France-Andrée
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am an undying fan of "A Christmas Carol", but I was looking for a Christmas story that I had never read. I really loved this maybe the ending is a little too sugary and denotes an innocence that we have lost in our modern world still I truly enjoyed reading "The Christmas Angel". I saw some links with the Dickens' story, it is also about someone who doesn't believe in Christmas maybe not for the same reasons, but in the beginning Angelina Terry is as bitter as Ebenezer Scrooge ever was. The st ...more
Sue
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle, read-2011
A short Victorian novel, republished for the Kindle and available free. Miss Terry is the main character, a cantankerous and cynical old lady who bears quite a resemblance to the better known Scrooge of Dickens' creation. Miss Terry decides, on Christmas Eve, to throw out some old toys; rather than burning them, she decides to leave them in the street to see what happens.

Various people spot the toys, all confirming her idea that people are heartless and selfish - then an unexpected visitor give
Mallory
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alone on Christmas Eve, Miss Terry is a bitter, cynical woman who is determined to prove to herself that the Christmas spirit does not exist. She conducts an experiment, tossing her old, worn childhood toys out onto the sidewalk in front of her home one by one and watches from the window to see what becomes of them. The more her theory appears to be proven correct, the less happy she is. But she has only seen the beginning of each object’s fate, not the end. This delightful short story is a beau ...more
Debbie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet fast Christmas story. It starts with a bitter old women who is sitting alone in her house with an old box of childhood toys. She tries to throw them in the fire to get rid of them but instead finds herself taking them one by one and putting them outside to see if anyone will take them. When she gets to the last one its a Christmas Angel ornament and she can't seem to throw it out there. She places it on the fireplace mantle and that's when the Angel talks to her and takes her on ...more
Leah Good
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Miss Terry has the Christmas spirit all figured out. The way she sees it, it doesn't exist. She proves her point by leaving some old toys by the curb and watching people fight over, steal, and destroy her rejected items. However, her proof isn't quite as foolproof as she thought. During the night, her Christmas angel comes to life and shows her what happened with the items after she stopped watching.

This was a cute little story my mom found online. It's written in the typical straight forward, r
Julie Barrett
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The christmas Angel by Abbie Farwell Brown
an old woman remembers her years at christmas when the maid brings in the play box with all the
childrens toys in them. she sets out to do an experiment, by putting out a toy on the curb to see
who will take it. she puts out several toys that are taken til she comes to the angel. she puts that
on her mantel and it comes to life. the angel tells the woman to sit back and watch what happened to
the toys she had placed out on curb. she learned the fate of each
Julie Barrett
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The christmas Angel by Abbie Farwell Brown
the toys she had placed out on curb. she learned the fate of each
Linda
Angelina Terry is a bitter old woman who thinks everyone is stupid and Christmas is not worth celebrating.......that is, until she is reminded that people are not what they seem at first glance. Ms. Terry's spitefulness seems to be due to being left by her one and only brother. When her childhood Christmas Angel comes to life to show her what is really going on she is stunned and a change of heart saves her world.

This was a Librivox book.
Amancay
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sara Michelotti
A delightful short(er) story of Christmas Spirit... once forgotten. You get an inside view of the main character, once soured by life and memories... come to peace with the aide of an unexpected Angel, giving her "A Christmas Carol"-esque peek into the lives around her, and the true impact & spirit of love that should continue to infiltrate us even today!

A pleasant & easy read, with little antiquated language it's odd to think how long ago it was written!
Lynn
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Old tale from the 19th century about a woman who takes her old toys and Christmas decorations out and wants to throw most out. She puts a few old dolls and toys out in the snow with messages to return them to her, but finds that the toys were picked up and stolen. She decides to throw the rest in the fire so people wont take them until the Christmas Angel talks and guides her to a more Christmas spirit.
Elaine
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reading
A lovely story that so reminded me of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. This time it's an elderly lady who thinks Cheristmas is "humbug". Her childhood Christmas angel that adorned the family tree, comes to "visit" her and reveals the amazing spirit of Christmas that she had overlooked for so many years.
It was a story that I'm certainly going to tell my grandchild. I'm so happy I found it. Needless to say, I recommend it to lovers of "classic" Christmases!
Karen Hartshorn
Very much like a Christmas Carol. Grumpy older person, in this case a woman, has a supernatural visitation. It changes her life, for instantly she finds the long lost "spirit of Christmas". It was 4 stars for the feel good factor until the end when it got rushed and rather creepy when the brother and sister take in the child. Other than that it is a sweet little Christmas story...
Kelly Harmon
The story was the usual "person with a humbug nature finds Christmas cheer and happiness." The writing was bland, the dialogue sometimes overly dramatic.

But...if you're looking for a holiday story to pass the time, it's not bad.
Colleen Mertens
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book was interesting and gave a unique twist to how humans act and react to the holidays and to what their eyes show them. The book was thought provoking in its premise and was well written. I liked how the book winds together. Very well done little book.
Deborah Neil
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Christmas Angel by Annie Farwell Brown in Kindle format was a good read that I gave 4 stars to. It basically is the typical Scrooge story with a twist. This was a short book that I read in less than an hour. It was entertaining and a good read.
This was such a sweet story, I loved how it developed. It reminded me of Scrooge in a way but I just loved the story. Such a sweet short Christmas story. No I am not quite in the spirit yet but reading these Christmas books are going to get me there.

Susan
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, christmas, kindle
This is a short Christmas novel set in the Victorian era, it somewhat reminded me of A Christmas Carol as it involved the central character being visited by an Angel representing Christmas spirit. An enjoyable Christmas read I discovered as it was free on Kindle.
Denise
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a bad story at all! Interesting story line. I enjoyed learning what happened to the things Miss Terry put out for her "experiment." Ended a bit abruptly for me, but it was a nice ("tis the season") story.
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus