Start by marking “The Earl's New Bride (The Daughters of Amhurst #1)” as Want to Read:
The Earl's New Bride (The Daughters of Amhurst #1)

The Earl's New Bride

(The Daughters of Amhurst #1)

England, 1819

The Earl of Amhurst has returned to his estate in search of a wife and, more importantly, an heir. Simon Devere isn't interested in some comely, simpering creature. A beautiful woman only brings heartbreak and ruin, and Simon's disfigured visage is proof enough of that. No, he wants a wife who is unattractive and undesirable—and the homelier, the better.

But n
Published September 7th 2015 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (Scandalous)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl's New Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl's New Bride

Start your review of The Earl's New Bride (The Daughters of Amhurst #1)
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
2*. And no more.
While the idea was good on paper, it wasn't really so good on paper, if you know what I mean.

Two damaged people (one betrayed and scarred, the other stutters), a house party, wife hunting or rather a husband chase with a clutch of young females vying for the 'Black Earl's' hand and title. The writing is not at all bad for a newer regency. The mcs do seem well suited and we do have a semblance of plot.

(view spoiler)
Christy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise is that our heroine, Lady Henrietta, is a bit of an unusual peer; being impeded by a stutter, and far more interested in books and her love of plants and herbs than high society. She's beautiful, but clumsy and nervous. Since it's the 1800s, she must accept that no man will ever marry a woman for intelligence, and attempt to ensnare the Black Earl, Simon Devere in order to save her family home, which he has inherited since her father sired no sons. He has been gravely hurt by his pre ...more
Kira's NetGalley Book Blog
Why you should read it: Swoon worthy with a touch of Jane Austen!

“Scandalous romances are bold and sexy and passionate. After all, torrid love affairs are even more illicit when forbidden by social mores. Escape to another era. There's never been a better time to fall in love.”

And fall in love I did with Simon and Henrietta, two people who are so well suited to the other. There are moments of confusion and frustration and seemingly unrequited feelings but that's what keeps you hooked and engros
ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...]
Started out well, light and fluffy... Liked the writing style too, up until the last 2 chapters where this really silly misunderstanding happened and ruined it for me. It seemed that people were listening to what they *wanted to* and assumed things that weren't there. My head hurt from all the eye rolling I did.

I was pretty sympathetic to Henrietta at first. It seemed she had really annoying sisters, not to mention an overbearing mother, who have gone out of their way to make her feel uncomfort
Bambi Unbridled
This was a good solid historical romance, very Jane Austen-esque in nature. I think it will make historical romance "purists" happy - those who don't like the current trend to get really steamy in the story. Frances Fowlkes is a new-to-me author, and one that I will be reading more of in the future.

This story is similar to some of the historical retellings of Beauty and the Beast. Our hero is Simon Devere, Earl of Amhurst. Simon received the moniker "Black Earl" due to a sordid past of salacious
kate
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Elaine
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A friend wrote a review of this book that made it sound enticing, so I cheekily asked for an ARC to read and review myself - and I totally agree with her, this is a fantastic regency ‘beauty and the beast’ type of story that is true to the era and a totally enthralling romance.

Following the death of her father, Lady Henrietta will have to vacate their family home to enable the new Earl to inherit the entailed estate but the new Earl is looking for a wife - if she marries him she could stay in th
DemetraP
Oct 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Did not finish this book. In the first few chapters the hero spends his time thinking to himself how much the heroine resembles 1. his dead mother 2. his father's mistress and 3. his former mistress who committed suicide (and caused him to be accused of murder)

I just didn't like the hero. If I kept reading how often would the heroine remind him of someone else? Did not finish.
Carla
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**I received a free eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Oh my God... Oh my God, guys... I thought I was going blind.

I read this book in just one sitting, that's how good it was!! My almost going blind feeling was because I actually kept reading til about 4am, I was barely blinking and I was pretty tired and needed to go to sleep... BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO.

And I had to wake up relatively early the next day, but I didn't care about that either :)

So
Jen Davis
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy a story with a scarred hero. And Lord Simon is not only scarred, but he is blind in one eye and burdened with a terrible reputation he doesn’t deserve. He carries the moniker “The Black Earl” and rumors swirl that he killed his mistress. Now he must find a bride and carry on the family lineage, but he would prefer a quiet, proper bride than another disastrous round with passion.

Lady Henrietta wants nothing more than to be that bride, not because she wants Simon, but because he has inh
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Original Post:
THE EARL’S NEW BRIDE: A Miss and A Mystery!
A young lady, knowledgeable in herbal remedies, is determined to marry her father’s successor so she can remain in the family home. The Earl is determined to marry a woman he does not love.

Alison Larkin narrates this one with a sweetly tittering voice, and outstanding accent that charmed me. The main characters also charmed me me with their insecurities and quirky personalities. There’s a good plo
Stacy Reid
The Earl's New Bride was such an enjoyable read. Simon inherited the earldom and Henrietta’s beloved home. He was also known in the ton as the Black Earl, and malicious gossips dogged his steps. Having been betrayed by a woman before, and he needed a wife so his dastardly brother did not ruin the Amhurst inheritance, Simon determined to find a plain wife he would not be tempted to give his heart and once again know pain and betrayal. Of course it all went to hell the minute he spied the alluring ...more
Suz
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
A light and fast read. It could have been more closely copy edited. The story was a bit insipid, with the primary protagonists both suffering with nearly debilitating angst regarding the sources of their low self esteem.

The secondary plot didn't actually ramp up until 2/3 through the book, so there was a lot of repeating the angst going on to that point.

The HEA was nice, though.

I read it as a palate cleanser and it was fine for that.
Shanice Singh
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wish more was mentioned about the Earl's past. Besides that, I really enjoyed this book. It has a bit of a mystery to it as well as a beautiful romance. Fans of historical romance will adore this book! ...more
Charlie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Skinny
Simon Devere, recently inherited Earl of Amhurst, has been plagued for years by his choice in women – and their actions. After waiting five years to be exonerated of the murder of his mistress, Simon has been duped the Black Earl. Despite being completely innocent of the crimes he has committed according to the ton, the rumors and whispers continue.

With the title and lineage resting on his shoulders, Simon must select a wife and produce an heir to blackguard his brother from inheriting
ECReads
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ho-Hum

I enjoyed the beginning of this story, the way socially awkward Henrietta was introduced. There was a sense she accepted herself the way she was, and I liked her immediately. Then, shortly after she meets Simon, the story became less interesting. Their courtship wasn't exciting, and Henrietta's constant questioning of Simon's intentions toward her was exasperating. Conversations between Henrietta's mother and sisters were tedious, and Simon's friend was an unnecessary nuisance. The "myster
Maureen
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking for a light-hearted audiobook for a long car ride. This popped up as a recommendation for historical fiction. I think this fits in the genre of bodice-ripper - a steamy romance set in the early 1800's in England. But I will admit it was a fun book, and it made the miles fly by.

Courtney
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A great first-in-series, with a wonderful hero and heroine! My enjoyment was dampened slightly by the constant annoyance of the heroine's family, who are the focus of the series, but it is still a wonderful book.

Full review here: https://courtneyreadsromancesite.word...
Melanie Atchley Robb
The Earl's New Bride

I enjoyed this story. It was entertaining. However, I found that the writing is a little awkward and in need of some polishing. Frances Fowlkes has a great deal of potential. Her writing is good, and, of course, I haven't read any of the subsequent books in the series to be a good enough judge. I plan on reading more of this author's work in the future.
Sandra Tomas
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He chose wisely!

Simon needed a wife! Henrietta only knew one place as home.
She along with several other ladies were vying for the Earl,s hand in marriage ,to become his bride.
This is a wonderful story, you,LL need to read it,to find out what happened.
Renee
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was ok
I love a Beauty and the Beast tale, but unfortunately this wasn’t great. The chemistry is seriously lacking and the heroine seems to care more about her family estate than the earl, so I couldn’t find a reason to root for her.
Iris
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Awful
SM
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
Nice one. Ending was made a little convoluted. Liked the characters. Couldn’t fully understand hero’s issues 😐
Angela
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Silly.
Darbella
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frances Wolf
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I enjoyed the story but it was very slow going at the start but once you got into it it was enjoyable.
MELISSA
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As good to read as my first read in 2016.
Melissa
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frances Fowlkes gives us a story of two people who are afraid of what others think, say and believe about them. One is running from a horrific tragedy and hiding behind scars both inside and out, while the other is hiding from restrictive social rules. Wonderful characters that once are allowed to let go of their bindings and show who they are, their lives find the happiness they have been seeking.

The Earl of Amhurst, Simon Devere, has been hurt by three beautiful women in his life with the last
Kelly
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the dresses and the society of the Ton from this era. The protocols and no air conditioning make me happy to live in this day though. I also don’t care how women were not to inherit the home when the man dies. It is so sad.

Simon; aka the black earl, the earl of Amhurst, a murderer (by gossip), and a scarred man, comes to the home of Henrietta and her sisters and mother to find a wife as it is his right to take over the home. He wishes to find a wife that is "comely" so his heart does not
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Spinster and the Duke (The London Ladies, #1.5)
  • The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter
  • Once Upon a Midnight Clear: Haunted Hearts (Regency Hearts, #2)
  • With His Ring (The Brides of Bath, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Brides of Bath, #1)
  • Forgotten Fiancee (London Ladies, #2)
  • Lady Harper (The London Ladies, #2.5)
  • The Runaway Duchess (The London Ladies, #1)
  • Miss Amelia Lands a Duke (The Caversham Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Captured by a Laird (The Douglas Legacy, #1)
  • A Very Difficult Man
  • A Governess Should Never... Tempt a Prizefighter (The Governess Chronicles, #1)
  • The Marquess's Christmas Runaway (Reluctant Brides Book 3)
  • The Viscount's Convenient Bride (Reluctant Brides Book 2)
  • A Good Match For The Major
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • The Truth About Cads and Dukes (Rescued from Ruin, #2)
  • Misadventures with the Duke (Forever Yours, #4)
After viewing her all-time favorite love story, “Anne of Green Gables”, at the impressionable age of ten, Frances Fowlkes has been obsessed with affable boy-next door heroes, red-heads, and romance stories with lots of “highfaluting mumbo jumbo” written within their pages. It only seems natural then that she married the boy who used to pull on her curls in her high school English class, had not on ...more

The Daughters of Amhurst (3 books)
  • To Win a Viscount (The Daughters of Amhurst #2)
  • The Gentleman's Promise (Daughters of Amhurst #3)