Start by marking “Time Travelling with a Hamster” as Want to Read:
Time Travelling with a Hamster

Time Travelling with a Hamster

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,589 Ratings  ·  272 Reviews
“My dad died twice. Once when he was thirty nine and again four years later when he was twelve.

The first time had nothing to do with me. The second time definitely did, but I would never even have been there if it hadn’t been for his ‘time machine’…”

When Al Chaudhury discovers his late dad’s time machine, he finds that going back to the 1980s requires daring and imaginatio
Published December 31st 2015 by HarperCollins Publishers

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Time-travel, family, grief, hamsters, change.

I've just finished this book and I've been left with that weird empty feeling you get when you've just experienced something amazing and know that, somehow, it's going to change you.

I don't think that I can put into words how amazing this book is. Reading it was like going on a roller-coaster of emotions.

So, this review has taken a fair while to write. And I really liked thinking back, about the story, about what I felt when I read it, about
Jules
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’m not sure I’m any less baffled by time travel after reading this, but what a fun adventure of a story.

Time Travelling with a Hamster is packed full of mischief, adventure, family, friendship, grief, love, time travel, random facts, and of course, not forgetting the pet hamster.

This story also has a good mix of characters, but not too many to keep track of. I love Grandpa Byron. What an interesting character he is.

Despite me enjoying children’s books, this was perhaps a little young for me to
Susan
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read this with my eleven year old son, I think this is a very impressive debut novel – so self assured is the writing that it is hard to imagine it is, in fact, a first book. Although this is a children’s book it is probably more suitable for ages 11+ and it deals with some big themes; including major changes and how children adapt to them, the whole dynamics of family life, bereavement and, of course, time travel…

Our hero is Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury (Al for short)– oh, and of co
TheBookSmugglers
Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury’s dad was thirty nine years old when he died for the first time and twelve when he died for the second time. The former happened due to a dislodged piece of metal that caused brain haemorrhage, a leftover from of an accident he had when he was a kid.

The latter is the result of what sets Time Traveling with a Hamster in motion.

Al’s dad died suddenly when Al was eight years old. When Al turns twelve he receives a mind-blowing present: a letter from his dead father
Aditi
“Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space. If you can bend space you can bend time also, and if you knew enough and could move faster than light you could travel backward in tie and exist in two places at once.”

----Margaret Atwood

Ross Welford, an English author, pens his debut middle grade science fiction story, Time Travelling with a Hamster that unfolds the story of a 12-year old boy who after his father's death travels back in time with his father's invented time ma
TheBookSmugglers

The latter is the result of what sets Time Traveling with a Hamster in motion.

Lydia
This book feels like an achievement.

I fell in love with Al, a British-Indian nerd who's dealing with bullies at school and the death of his dad. Welford makes so many big, messy topics really accessible and I'm grateful to him for that.

Al Chaudhry is an incredibly well-developed character. He's intelligent, sensitive and knows when adults are talking about him and talking down to him. That's perhaps one of my favourite aspects of Welford's writing -- he acknowledges how perceptive children are
Jessica
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, color me impressed! You've heard me praise the wonders of Middle Grade fiction and its wonderful authors many a time, and yet it never fails to stun me how much goodness comes out of the books written for this age group. Ross Welford has penned a gem here. Time Traveling With A Hamster simultaneously pulls together the importance of family, the grey areas we face when making hard decisions, the beauty (and issues) associated with being passionate about something, and even owning up to ones ...more
Allie
My 16 year old son's rating: 4 stars (that's saying a lot!)
My 10 year old son's rating: 4.5 stars

The mere concept of time travel is always tricky, but I thought this middle grade read did a good job with it.
Jason
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
The book is a kids book so I started reading this to my daughter, straight away I could see her eyes glazing over, it was way to technical for her, so I decided to read this to myself. I enjoyed it, slow to start but once Albert's dad starts explaining the science behind time travel and also explaining Einstein's theories in a language I could understand I was hooked. Albert's Grandad has gotta be one of the coolest ever.

Albert did make me angry now and then when he does something dumb, I had to
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I wasn't so convinced until the very end. I really liked the generational relationship between Al and his grandfather, and the cultural element made this book a lot more interesting too. Not sure why the hamster was there - maybe including an animal sidekick just makes it more appealing to kids?
K.J. Mecklenfeld
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun :-)
Anna (BooksandBookends)
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
I received a free copy of this book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury or 'Al' for short, has witnessed his Dad dying twice. Well, at least sort of. Following the death of his father, Al receives a letter informing him of a time travel machine his Dad had created. His Dad feels Al needs to know this information now he is twelve years old in order to travel back in time and attempt to save his life. But does time travel really
Ms. Yingling
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher

Al Chaudhury is getting by in his British coastal community. His father has passed away, his mother is dating a decent enough guy, and his grandfather is a steady if quirky presence in his life. On his 12th birthday, Al receives a letter from his father who claims that Al needs to break into their former house and use a homemade time machine to save his father from a serious go kart accident that eventually caused his death. This is not an easy task, and it is compli
Karen Mace
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, netgalley, ya
I received a copy of this via NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review

What a delight!! Have been intrigued by this book since I saw in a local bookshop so I was really pleased to be able to get the opportunity to read it

Such a sweet story of how a 12 year old boy - the brilliantly named Albert Einstein Hawking Chaudhury - is left a letter by his Dad who died 4 years earlier giving him details of a time machine he had invented! Since his Dad died, Alberts' life has changed quite a bit as
Leila Tarek
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I AM. IN. LOVE. This is officially the best cover buy I ever made, I saw this book in my local bookstore, never heard of it before, the cover was so catchy and I looked up and saw this:

“My dad died twice. But only the second time was my fault.”

Before you know it, my wallet was empty and my bag had a book that shamelessly says Time Travelling with a Hamster. I went home and realized it’s a 2016 release, which we rarely get here in Qatar, because our bookstores are shitty and it takes several mont
Peter
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I love a good time travel stories. This Middle Grade take on the genre by Ross Welford was ace! Playing a little bit like a younger British take on Back to the Future. It is fabulously heart-warming with a giant pretzel of a plot.
María Pecero
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viaje en el tiempo con un hámster es una novela del autor Ross Welford que narra las peripecias de un joven cuyo padre ha fallecido, y le ha dejado una máquina del tiempo con la intención de que le salve de su muerte. Con esta premisa como telón de fondo, el libro se adentra en temas tan profundos como la muerte de un padre y cómo ello afecta al resto de la familia y a su propio futuro; también trata sobre la amistad y el amor entre otros temas. Este libro está orientado hacia un público más bie ...more
Suzanne Rogerson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
4.5 stars.
Really enjoyed this book even though the idea of time travel does something funny to my brain!
Will try to add a review soon.
Nichola Callander
There's plenty of science geekery in this excellent story, particularly if you're developing an interest in Einstein's theories! The time travel here makes reference to actual scientific theory rather than the gorgeously vague timeywimey-ness of Dr Who.

Strong themes of family and family relationships with the death of a parent and the 'blending' of 2 families (stepparents and step siblings) dealt with from various perspectives.

The characters with their diverse cultural backgrounds are really en
Susan Hampson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was very impressed with this children's novel, that is loaded with suspense from the beginning to end and makes you want to keep turning every page to find out what is going to happen. The story is told by Albert, a twelve year old boy, as he takes you on a very daring time travelling adventure, with his hamster, into the past. His mission is to change an event in history that will save someone's life many years later.
There is an easy to follow compact cast of characters that stay firmly fixe
Karen Barber
For a childrens' book, this packs a real emotional punch.
Here we have the story of twelve year old Al Chaudhury who is coming to terms with his dad's shock death and moving away from everything he knows to live with his new step-family.
Al is, to put it mildly, something of a eccentric character. His curiosity is limitless, and we get to travel with him on the most amazing journey.
With a gripping opening that immediately arouses our interest, we learn that Al's dad invented a time machine and is
Alejandra
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book of wonders is on every window display in the bookstores here in Scotland. Comes with rave reviews and this is one of them.
The story is about Al, who is twelve and lives with his mother, stepfather and stepsister. Al misses his father terribly, who passed away quite suddenly a few years back.
On his twelfth birthday, Al gets a letter from his father telling him all about his experiments with time travel. In the letter, his Dad asks him to find the time travelling machine and trave
Alison
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
One I'd recommend for Y6 and over - it's quite a sensitive, mature read - more about family relationships (i.e. grief, death of a parent, bond with grandfather, blended families) than the lightweight read suggested by the cover art and title. The hamster doesn't play a big role but is the catalyst for some changes to Al's plan and cause of subsequent drama. In a genrefied fiction collection, I'd be tempted to put this with realistic fiction rather than junior sci-fi.
Kerry
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A lovely whimsical story about a boy who travels through time with his hamster on a mission to save his family. The writing is warm, inviting and at times amusing. Set in the North East of England which I enjoyed immensely living in the area.
I wanted to give it 3.5 stars but the app wouldn't let me. A great read and real page turner.
Graine Milner
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: y7-8
Fantastic middle grade science fiction adventure! Brilliantly plotted and lots of fun, with some poignant moments. Most enjoyable book I've read for a while!
Alice
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun. I can't remember how it came up on my recommended, but I'm glad it did!

I don't think I've ever been quite so concerned for a hamster's wellbeing before. Fluffy little Alan Shearer goes through a LOT.

As someone who's never had the pleasure of spending time with many indian families, it was really lovely to have a glimpse into Al's life. Especially the conversations he has with his grandpa. Even without Al's father there, it seemed so warm and nurturing. I was really r
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Despite the cute cover and the whimsical title, this book isn’t simply a frivolous romp through time—it has a surprising amount of heart and even heartbreak. The story tells of Al, who receives a letter from his father four years after his father’s death. The letter reveals that Al can essentially bring his father back to life by traveling back in time and preventing an accident that happened all the way back when his
Dorien
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Emily Morrill
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads #7
Time Traveling With a Hamster by Ross Welford is way better than it seems. Albert gets Alan Shearer, a hamster named after football player, and a letter from his dad for his 12th birthday. At 11:00pm, Al (Albert) sneaks out to his old house and goes down to the bunker to get the next letter from his dad. This one tells Al that he needs to travel back in time to stop him from riding the Lean Green Machine. Al trusts his dad and goes back to the 90s. This time, it is Al’s fault that
Primary Teachers: UKLA Book Awards 15 31 Mar 06, 2017 02:00PM
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • Frazzled: Everyday Disasters and Impending Doom (Frazzled, #1)
  • The Mechanical Mind of John Coggin
  • My Life with the Liars
  • Grayling's Song
  • The End of FUN
  • Finding Hope
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
  • A Library of Lemons
  • In Too Deep
  • Moo
  • Grimbold's Other World

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • When Gravity Fails (The Budayeen Cycle, 1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
“I'm sometimes scared that I'm forgetting what my dad was like.” 4 likes
“Actually, what he said was that he thought it was 'stupendously unlikely'. That's what he used to say about things that he thought weren't real, but couldn't prove. Stupendously unlikely. It's a cool phrase.” 1 likes