Start by marking “Runespell (Legends and Lore)” as Want to Read:
Runespell (Legends and Lore)

Runespell

(Legends and Lore)

In most fairy tales, the prince rescues the princess. It's not often she gets to return the favor.
Mai Westenra is pulled into a centuries-old quest for vengeance and magic, never realizing that she'll find love in the midst of danger.
Tyr Halvarsson has waited lifetimes to be rid of his curse. Resigned to his immortal half-life, one selfless act of humanity can redeem
Published August 11th 2015 by Mondarbre Press

To ask other readers questions about Runespell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runespell

Start your review of Runespell (Legends and Lore)
Stabbing
Part of the anthology Once Upon A Fairy Tale: A Collection of 11 Fairy Tale Inspired Romances; gotten from NetGalley in exchange for feedback and review.

This author's writing style seems to be very comparable to several well know writers of paranormal romance. [Christine Feehan immediately came to mind but I know there is another one with a similar writing style, just can't think of the name right now.] Actually this story feels like a paranormal romance and not a fairy tale retelling.

It's
Morgan
I received this book from Netgalley as part of a multi-work collection (Once Upon A Fairy Tale: A Collection of 11 Fairy Tale Inspired Romances) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

East of the Sun/West of the Moon is one of my favorites when it comes to fairytales.

And while I wanted to like this short story retelling of it, I kept having moments where it felt like several lines of information were missing. Like I was supposed
Mojca
***available in the Once Upon A Fairy Tale collection***

Someone pushes Mai Westenra's car off the road, leaving her for dead. Looks like they didn't count with Tyr Halvarsson, former Norse prince and current shape-shifter bear, who lumbers to the rescue...

The premise was interesting, and the beginning of the story intriguing. Unfortunately it was too short for the plot to be developed properly, for the characters to shine, and for the romance to blossom gradually.
Pilar Seacord
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story. The heroine Mai crashes her car in her car in a ditch because of an evil woman. She is saved by hero who is cursed by the same evil woman. I liked the writing of Sela Carsen and would read more of her work. The chemistry of the lead is lovely and romantic. There is magic, evil, a curse, romance, a Norse relic and even a smidge of Norse mythology. Recommend anything by Sela Carsen including this one.
Kara-karina
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
This is a short novella heavy on Scandinavian mythology, but also atmospheric and cute. The setting is lovely and feels Christmas-y, and both main characters are not prone to dramatics. Mai to my utter delight kicked butt majorly, and reminded me of fairy talish heroines from Michelle Diener's books.
Viivika Tamm
Nov 05, 2016
Bert
Nov 05, 2019
Tamera
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2016
Nov 05, 2019
KrisN
Apr 29, 2016
Sela
Aug 11, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
D Thomas
Feb 26, 2019
Diane
Sep 27, 2019
Sela
Sep 13, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
M.R. Graham
Sep 14, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Sep 25, 2016
Short version:
Sela Carsen is an award-winning author of paranormal and sci-fi romance -- with or without sex and dead bodies. Your pick. She maintains a permanent nerd-on for fairytales and mythology, and openly hoards reference books about obscure folklore. Born a wanderer, she and her family have finally settled in the Midwest. Until they move again, at least.

Long and rambly, but funnier

Legends and Lore (4 books)
  • The Sleeper Dreamed: A Short Story (Legends and Lore)
  • Heart of the Sea (Legends and Lore)
  • Not Quite Dead