Start by marking “Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

Drawing upon their own extensive leadership experience as well as their ministry to leaders in all walks of life, Henry and Richard Blackaby offer insightful counsel into the ways God develops, guides, and empowers spiritual leaders. Clear guidance is given on how leaders can make a positive impact on the people and organizations they are currently leading.
Published May 15th 2001 by B Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Leadership

Start your review of Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
Josh Miller
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read this year! Also one of the top leadership books I have read all time. One of the things I love about this book is that it is not geared just towards those in full-time ministry. Much of the book does address those in the pastorate, but many lessons and illustrations apply to the leader in any situation - secular or ministry. The main thought put forth is SPIRITUAL leadership in any setting.

The authors must have emphasized dozens of times the importance of a spiritual leader
Tracey
Apr 17, 2012 is currently reading it
Really validating to my faith. Leadership in the workplace and ministry a like, do well under the authority of Jesus. The proof is here;)
Eric
I rarely give books a 5 out of 5 rating, but I truly feel that this text deserves it. Blackaby and Blackaby provide greater insight to leadership than any other resources available. While they site research provided by others (including Kouzes and Posner, Greenleaf, Chambers, and others), they also develop the idea that all of those resources tend to be incomplete because they forget one key ingredient to successful leadership: God. Through building our relationship with God and seeking to becom ...more
Connor
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really good book on leadership from a Biblical worldview but the Blackaby's could benefit from reading Zinsser's On Writing Well because the book dragged on and seemed redundant at times.
Meshach Kanyion
Good Content but Unnecessarily Long and Laborious

This book is filled with wisdom and insight. The truth it proclaims cannot be denied. The trouble is in getting to and through the content. The authors speak, not authoritatively, but like they just read a lot of books. Their authority is only their research, not their experience.

To be sure, I'm well aware of the Blackaby's and their leadership, but the book doesn't read as if a leader wrote it. It reads like a researcher wrote it.

They throw in
Troy Neujahr
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm done with this book for now, choosing to set it aside instead of finishing it.

I want to improve my leadership as a pastor . . . but that's just it. As. A . Pastor. I don't wish to become the CEO of a church. I don't wish to learn techniques how to influence people to my agenda. The Blackabys have made one too many assumptions about Scripture, filling in the gaps where Scripture is silent with secular leadership concepts thinly disguised as super-spiritual practices.

This book is just not ser
Mark
May 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Blackaby has some really good points in this book. My problems with this book are threefold.

First, I'm not sure that this book was what I needed at this point in my walk. I'm not leading any group, ministry, organization in ways that require (or possibly even allow) the type of leadership that Blackaby describes.

Secondly, many of Blackaby's big points seem relatively intuitive. How does a spiritual leader lead? By knowing God and following His plan. OK...not terribly insightful, but very true. M
Dominique
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This book is incredibly practical, albeit a scholarly treatise on the subject of spiritual leadership. In early 2016, my pastor, two friends and I went through this book chapter by chapter and met to discuss the study questions. Not only was I encouraged and challenged in my reading of the material, God used the study group to build me up in ways I will continue to reap benefits from for decades to come.
John Nichols
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book but don't expect easy reading. This is a book requiring time to stop, consider, and digest. End of chapter summaries are useful for review or researchers. My copy is now highlighted with personal notes added and I expect to return to it often.
Kathy Howard
Biblically solid and God-honoring view of leadership for Christians in ministry or secular leadership positions. Full of practical and wise advice.
Karla Goforth Abreu
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful book on spiritual leadership for both the secular and church workplace. It is easily read and should be required reading for all pastors and leaders.
Walt Walkowski
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Very good book on leadership, though I would have hesitated to include Robert E. Lee as one of my models of leadership given his role in the Civil War.
Rob
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a classic. It takes contemporary leadership and contrasts them with those we see in the Bible. It is a long read but worth it.
David Chang
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a former small group leader, a lot of the principles are true and I would say out of all the leadership books I’ve read so far, this has the most comprehensive list. These principles are personally what I believe separate average leaders from fruitful leaders.

That being said, I’m not sure if I enjoyed some of the historical examples that were used. I don’t think using just specific examples of past leaders give a complete image of them leaders and their values. Also some of the biblical exam
Maui Rochell
This was an assigned reading for us at work and I finished it after two months. It was a long read but definitely filled with truths and wisdom about leadership of all kinds (business, political and church leadership) To lead is a high calling and involves pains and sacrifices as you go along with it. Everyone is called to lead and everyone should be mindful on how they live and lead themselves before leading others.
Abby Burg
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Out of all the books I’ve read on leadership, I think this would be the first one I would hand to someone entering spiritual leadership. Maxwell’s 21 Laws would be second, but this would be first. So much valuable insight on what it means to be a leader who seeks God’s face and moves people in to His agenda.
Cana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was fine. It was way longer than was needed, it was horrendously gendered, and it was kinda just boring. It wasn't super bad, there are just a LOT of better books on spiritual leadership. Maybe skip this one.
Eric Michel
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book to read on the subject. First half of the book was 7/5 stars. Second half was a little redundant and somewhat contrary to some of the advice in the first half, but maybe that is being to critical. I am now changing my rating my original four stars to five stars.
kagiso
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true Godly ordained leaders manual.

Thank you for such heavenly inspired teaching. This is at the beginning of the ministry the Lord has called me to, and I feel better equipped, courageous and ready to take on the world, for the Lord's Glory.
Edwin Smith
A fine baseline

I wouldn't call this a great book, but perhaps a great sampler platter of leadership. The book is far too broad to explore leadership principles very deeply, but it does provide an adequate survey of some of the character and skills needed in spiritual leadership.
Sonja
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent leadership book
Jay Drummond
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good encouragement and focus.

I found the commentary on tools, emphasis, challenges, and rewards a very complete work on current and future leadership. Enjoy.
Robert Bass
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was so good that I had all of my leaders read it
Myra Benedict
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very fun to read and a lot that u can take from and apply in your life. Also this book has some fun stories that connect to God in a amazing way.
Aidan  Garcia Sadler
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! Much better than I expected. Full of great insight and challenges.
Christine
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book would probably be fine if it were 1/3 of the length. But it’s so dry & boring; I just couldn’t finish it. ...more
Eric
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read. This is one of those books that is overflowing with information. Read at different stages in life it could have different impacts, must read again!
Michelle DeBruin
Excellent book on leadership. It is one I will rely on to inform and shape my own leadership. So thankful for experienced and godly leaders who go to the careful work to write books like this one that are so helpful.
Michael Vincent
There is much about this book I like, but his discussion about listening to the voice of God, left me scratching my head. I never really understood what he actually meant here. Maybe I need to go and read his book on the issue. Also, there were times I felt he measured success by numbers and results, and other times when he seemed to measure the success of leaders by faithfulness and a heart after God. I was also surprised that he so often quoted secular leadership "authorities" (many of whom I ...more
Vaughn
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good book with helpful information. I appreciated Blackaby's differentiation between worldly and spiritual leadership and found useful information for leading in my secular job, my spiritual ministries and my home.

For instance, Blackaby defined spiritual leadership as that form of leadership which moves people to God's agenda. Closely tethered to that definition is the belief that God calls and equips individuals to be spiritual leaders. I also appreciated that the authors didn't simply present
« previous 1 3 next »

• Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Courageous Leadership
  • A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • Moving Your Church
  • Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry
  • Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership That Matters
  • Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: The Paradox of Personal Dysfunction
  • The Courage to Be Protestant: Truth-lovers, Marketers, and Emergents in the Postmodern World
  • Woke Church: An Urgent Call for Christians in America to Confront Racism and Injustice
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • Reaching and Teaching: A Call to Great Commission Obedience
  • Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs
  • The Persian Gamble (Marcus Ryker, #2)
  • Expository Apologetics: Answering Objections with the Power of the Word
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe

News & Interviews

“People are weary of politicians who make promises they are either unwilling or unable to keep. Society longs for statesmen but it gets politicians. Statesmen are leaders who uphold what is right regardless of the popularity of the position. Statesmen speak out to achieve good for their people, not to win votes. Statesmen promote the general good rather than regional or personal self-interest.” 14 likes
“The fact that God can bring character development and personal growth out of any situation is conditional on people's willingness to submit to God's will. God is sovereign over every life, but those who yield their will to him will be shaped according to his purposes. When God directs a life for his purposes, all of life is a school. No experience, good or bad, is ever wasted (Rom. 8:28). God doesn't squander people's time. He doesn't ignore their pain. He brings not only healing but growth out of even the worst experiences. Every relationship can be God's instrument to mature a person's character.” 12 likes