Start by marking “The Lost (Zombie Ocean, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost (Zombie Ocean, #2)

The Lost

(Last Mayor #2)

7 billion zombies. 1 little girl.

When the zombie apocalypse claims America, only 1 in 10 million survive.
Anna is one of them. She's 5 years old. She likes banana milkshakes and Alice in Wonderland. She's alone in a world full of danger that she cannot understand.

Will she survive?

'Alice in Wonderland' meets the zombie apocalypse like you've never seen it before, packed with
Published August 15th 2015

Start your review of The Lost (Zombie Ocean, #2)
Ryan Ingle
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ryan Ingle 2/28/17

The Lost, by Michael John Grist, is the second book the Zombie Ocean book series. This story takes place at the same time as the previous from a different person affected by the outbreak. The point of view is through 5 year old Anna has a rare case just like the previous where anything new in her life, causes tremense headaches. She lives with her father and her mom died years before. When the outbreak starts, She doesn’t know what to do as her dad lunges at her with
Tom Sturtridge
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lost. Zombie Ocean (The last Mayor) book 2. All I can say is Michael upped the game with this one. The world had been set and brought to life in book 1 and now in book 2 we finally get down to the nitty gritty of life after the plague. There are lengthy interactions between multiple characters, between the survivors, dialogue that was sorely missing from the first book. There was a lot more emotions in this book. Anna desperately trying to find her father and hoping he's still alive even aft ...more
Shari Sakurai
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review *

The Lost is Book Two of Michael John Grist’s Zombie Ocean series and takes the bold step of telling the apocalypse through the eyes of a child.

Anna is only five years old when the apocalypse strikes. Left alone when her father is infected, she follows the cairns that Amo has left in search of him and the other survivors, whilst also determined that one day she will be reunited with her father.

I must admit when I started reading I w
John Love IV
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: I received this book for free with no request for a review or other requirements.

This unique series give a bit of a twist on the Zombie theme I found quite interesting. This particular book takes the viewpoint of the apocalypse from a 5 yr old girl. The beginning strains believability a bit but is enjoyable anyway. All I can say is she's more capable than the majority of 5 yr olds I've met.

This book carries the story beyond where the last let off. It turns into a second interesting twist t
Ami
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely amazed at how good this book is. When I began reading it and realized the premise, I said to myself, "There is no way that this book will be able to keep me interested or that it can be anywhere near the quality of The Last, book 1 in this series. WOW, was I wrong? WOW is the author even more talented than was evident from book one? Yes and YES, I enjoyed it so much that this is the end of my review because I have to start reading book 3. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. ...more
Tom
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent sequel to The Last

I was really happy with the way this book continued this unique perspective on the infected and their mission to save the world. Very creative and entertaining. Looking forward to book three and how well it continues the story.
Megan  Jarrett
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok. Again, a bit unbelievable. 5 year old kid, travels the country via the back of her zombie dad?

Mark Heath
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is really hotting up
Walter Scott
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can relate to the saying that “Life is about the journey, more than it is about the end.”
John Michael Grist has a sure hand when it comes to bringing his novels to their individual ends. Just don’t waste a lot of time trying to figure out how they come to a close and sit back with and enjoy his totally original style and his beautifully rendered characters.
Amo, of book #1 – The Last” continues to provide a kind of rallying point for the rest of the series, but this time you get to meet Anne, a
Jaime Andrews
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alisa Kester
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big reveal at the end was a little bizarre, but overall still a fun read.
Magnus
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombie
I'm not gonna spoil the story, it was good BUT the story took a path I didn't like so much. ...more
Shelley
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent addition to a fun series
Bookworm52732
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole. This was a strange adventure that (damn) ended in a cliffie. Thankfully, I have the next book.
Bartleby
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Lost by John Michael Grist is a great follow up to the first book in this series. The author starts us out with the picture of the apocalypse from a child’s perspective. Anna is confused, lost and does what any child would do, follow her father as far as she can. Somewhere along the way she came across one of Amo’s cairns and is picked up on the way to LA. Anna grows up in LA under Amo and Lara’s guidance, but something has always tugged at her. Where did her father go? Her yearning to know ...more
Ray Ferguson
The Lost by Michael John Grist was a real delight for me to read, the second book in this series. I've been a sci-fi reader for over 50 years and averaged 2 to 3 books a week for that time. This was well paced, captured my imagination by page 8, and the characterization of the main players was excellent. It begins with Anna and her dad, and away goes the adventure. Very nice use of words to create mental images, Grist is a real wordsmith, not an apprentice or journeyman but a master, and makes t ...more
PJ Lea
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's the second book and starts at the same time as the first, from the point of a five year old girl, Anna. We are led on her journey and see it all through her eyes.
It's a good story of a very different type of zombie apocalypse. Normally there is fighting and lots of blood being spilled but that is not so for this book. It is simply thought provoking and, in general, made me feel very sad. That's not to say that it's a poor book, it just brings out different emotions to most of the genre.
I fo
Mark Stone
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to read this book as an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for leaving a review on Amazon.com, and I'm glad of the chance.
It's a very good story, and it answers many of the questions left from reading The Last, the first book in the Zombie Ocean series.
This book mainly focuses on a new character, Anna, left alone at age five during the Apocalypse. It tells of her adventures both on her own, and after meeting the first group of survivors following Amo's trail.
I find it har
Ceh131973
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

[Michael John Grist] continues exploring the [Zombie Ocean] with the second book [The Lost]. Where the first book [The Last] left off with survivors finding each other, including a strange little girl in an Alice in Wonderland dress, is where [The Lost] picks up. This installment is from the point of view of that little girl, Anna.

[Grist] has created a different sort of coming of age novel just as he reinvented the zombie genre in [The
Dom
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Free advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Book two in Grist's Zombie Ocean series, told from Anna's perspective. She's a 5 year old girl trying to deal with everything that has happened. It's an interesting take on the Zombie Genre; it's portraying things from the child's perspective.

Again, Grist's writing is charming and enjoyable, witty at times and poignant at others. Whilst it starts innocent, this story takes a darker path than the first book. The story is well paced and I found m
Jamie Crook
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
At the start of this book I was really interested in following the story of a child in the aftermath of the zombie outbreak.
The first half of the book kept me reading, intrigued with the way the child would survive, and I think the author did a good job of portraying it.
However I did start to enjoy it less in the second half of the book, when it skipped forward in time. It slowed down a lot and I could feel myself wanting the next chapter to be the last.
I like the way the author has taken a new
ROB!
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Lost expands on the first Zombie Ocean book, The Last, offering us a broader perspective, and actually answering several questions brought up by the first book!

We get to understand some characters' motives, and we even find out ..... (spoiler redacted!)

True to Grist's style, some of the scenes were graphic, including .... (more spoilers redacted!)

We get to understand Amo's mission by learning it from the point of view of Anna, who was 5 when the zombie apocalypse occurred. We follow the stor
Sabrina Y.
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Earlier this year, I read "The Last" as an ARC (Advanced Review Copy), in exchange for an honest review. I loved the book, and just last month, I was given the chance to do the same for the second book in the series. "The Lost" was a great sequel, following the story of a young girl during a zombie apocalypse. The girl, named Anna, is all alone in a world full of zombies, and must find a way to survive on her own. Amo, from "The Last" (the first book), plays a role in this book as well.
The fact
Susan Strauss
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
In the 2nd book ... The Lost ..... we meet Anna ... a little girl .... 5 years old. Anna's father is lost to the zombie world. She still travels with him and thousands of zombies who are walking towards California. After her father joins the rest of the 'dead' walking into the ocean, Anna is left alone. ... with 7 billion zombies ... will she survive? Join this little girl as she crosses back and forth across the U.S ... alone. How does this little girl survive in this new world? Could you?

A zo
Cobalt Grizzly
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that as much as I read ZA type novels, it's hard to do something innovative and not run-of-the-mill. That being said, Michael manages to pull off just what most people don't expect. His characters are very realistic and grow on you, the action of his books keep you wanting more by being different than hordes of shamblers, and the story as a whole ties in and expands on The Last very well. I will definitely keep my eye out for the third in the series, and I'm willing to bet you will ...more
Barbara Silvestro
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved book 2 of this series!

Loved book 2! The story of Anna and her father and learning more about the virus was just what i needed. Had some questions answered and was happy with well written character development . i had no idea there was a third book in the series so now I'm excited to download the third book. The easy going story line, humor and likeable characters make this a really fun Zombie Apocalypse story. If you like the Waking dead, Word war Z or zombie land you're going to enjoy th
Robin Franks
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story

The sequel to The Last is an awesome read. Very unexpected but so much adventure and drama. The characters are great and you get to go forward with the original stories characters. What a wonderful imagination Mr. Grist has. So happy he chose to share it with us all. Can't wait to read the next story. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in zombie apocalypse style stories.
Jason & Jules
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent Read!

The second book in this series continues with a view point of a 5 year old girl who follows her daddy and the ocean of infected as they make their way across the vast distance towards ??? Read it, you'll be glad you did.
Katy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second in an innovative and fascinating sci fi/ fantasy series. I hope there are more in the series. I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.
Cathey Dalton
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Forgettable

The words were written as if not when

I read the book and than forgot what I read two week as latter.

• Saint Justice (Christopher Wren #1)
  • Relentless: A Memoir
  • Something Wicked (The Chronicles of Breed #3)
  • The Last Resort
  • The Haunting of Hardlocke House
  • Box Set Christopher Wren Thriller: Books 1-3 (Christopher Wren #1-3)
  • A Temporary Death (Zombies On The Block #3)
  • Zombies on The Block (Zombies On The Block #1)
  • There Goes The Neighborhood (Zombies On The Block #2)
  • The Caretakers
  • Kissing the Coronavirus (Kissing the Coronavirus #1)
  • The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker, #11)
  • A Time of Torment (Charlie Parker, #14)
  • The Highway (Highway Quartet #2)
  • Coldheart Canyon
  • Murder By Chocolate (Bite-sized Bakery #1)
  • Deliverance (Hell Divers, #3)
  • A Song of Shadows (Charlie Parker, #13)
Michael John Grist is a British/American author and ruins photographer who lives in London, UK. He writes dark and weird science fiction and fantasy books, such as the fantasy novel Ignifer’s Rise and the SF series The Ruins Sonata.

For 11 years he lived in Tokyo exploring Japan’s modern ruins, such as abandoned theme parks, military bases, and ghost towns, gaining millions of hits on this website

Last Mayor (9 books)
  • The Last (Zombie Ocean, #1)
  • The Least (Zombie Ocean, #3)
  • The Loss (Zombie Ocean, #4)
  • The List (Zombie Ocean, #5)
  • The Laws (Zombie Ocean, #6)
  • The Lash (Zombie Ocean #7)
  • The Lies (Zombie Ocean #8)
  • The Light (Last Mayor #9)