Start by marking “BIG and Small in the Mirror” as Want to Read:
BIG and Small in the Mirror

BIG and Small in the Mirror

An alternate cover for this ASIN can be found here.

Friends Carlo and Marco learn the effects of bullying on their self-images and that positive relationships help them grow.

A discussion page appears at the end of the story to help foster a deeper understanding of the issue of bullying, and to put the story in perspective. The author creates empathy for the victims while
Published July 20th 2015 by M.F. Publishing

To ask other readers questions about BIG and Small in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about BIG and Small in the Mirror

Start your review of BIG and Small in the Mirror
Miranda Reads
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

Brrring! Brrring! Brrring! The recess bell rang as the double doors were swung open...
Marco and Carlo - best friends - do everything together. Eating lunch, talking and (above all) playing soccer.

They take recess seriously - extremely seriously.
There was no time to waste, and the ten fourth grade boys ran with lightening speed, their feet barely touching the ground.
But something...new is happening. And it's not a good thing.
"You idiot!" His voice cut through every other soun
Dash fan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Big and Small in the Mirror.
This book deals with a very real issue of childhood bullying, and gives children an insight into different forms of bullying and how to deal with it.

The target Audience for this book is 8-10 years old.
This book can be read alone, with parents or in a group.

The main Characters in this book are Carlo, Marco and Danny.
Carlo and Marco are best friends and Danny is the school Bully.

The book is based on bullying in school.
Mary uses a Mirror to repre
Ky Adams
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book about the pertinent subject of bullying. I think such a thoughtful approach would really speak to children. The illustrations are very sweet. The addition of discussion questions in the back can be very useful.
Hayley L. Morgan
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review in any way and the thoughts expressed are my own.

This story focuses on three boys and their experiences with bullying. I thought the title could be a little more obvious to the theme but it does reference a major part of the story. It was good to see how Carlo thought Danny was his friend until Danny started bullying him, it shows that bullying can come from the most u
Aly
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful children's book about bullying. I loved the illustrations and the story. I think this is a great book for kids and I enjoyed it as well. * I received this book from the author---this is my honest review*
Anuradha Gupta
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Big and Small in the Mirror by Mary Feliciani is an illustrated short story for children, where Carlo and his bestie Marco, face some incidences in their school which gives them lessons for life.

It is recess and all the fourth grade boys are out to play soccer. Carlo and Danny are the captains of their respective teams. Since the game was not yet completed in the morning, the boys decide to continue with it, and thus begins the running around. After a while, a situation arises when Carlo, by mis
Joe Yang
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Geared towards children and their parents, this is a simple but effective story about bullying. The protagonists, two schoolboys named Carlo and Marco, are sympathetic and readers shouldn't have any trouble relating to them. The story also reveals dimension and insight into Danny, the bully who makes everyone miserable.

First off, I really enjoyed the illustrations. Although directed towards young readers, the drawings aren't overly sweet or annoyingly "cutesie." Instead, there's a maturity about
chrissy
**I received a free ePub copy from the author in exchange for an honest rating. Receiving a free copy in no way influenced my rating.**
Rayleigh
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bullying can tear anyone's self esteem down, but it especially affects kids in school today on astronomical levels.

Big and Small in the Mirror is a story of 3 boys, Carlo, Marco, and Danny, and is a deeper discussion topic on bullying for kids. Carlo and Marco are on the receiving end of the bullying, while Danny is the bully.

Big and Small in the Mirror, book 1 to this trilogy, focuses specifically on how self esteem is affected by bullying, both from the recipient's point of view and the bully'
Skyler Boudreau
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 / 5 stars

An important message delivered in an intelligent and charming format. You can find my full review here: https://skyviewbookreviews.wordpress....
Kathryn Harrison
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Big and Small in the Mirror” tells a relevant and kid-friendly story about relationships and bullying. Mary has made a good choice in framing the book around the familiar game of soccer. With soccer in the plot, the kids will be more interested in reading it and will likely be able to relate more with the situations. The title of the book also gives a clue to the effective metaphor she uses to describe how you feel when you are unhappy with yourself. With helpful illustrations, the boys see the ...more
Bec
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My 7 year old and I read this book together (we took turns in reading the pages). She really enjoyed this one and gave it 5 stars. She enjoyed looking at the boys shrinking and growing in the mirror and she enjoyed the discussion questions at the end.

Her honest review is as follows:
Best book ever. I liked it because they helped each other.

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review.
Dave 87
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Following the reading of The Magic Leaf, I went ahead and read each of the author's books. This story follows the same characters, but later in their childhood. The bullying scenario in this short story is very realistic, and teaches young people how to deal with this issue. My little cousin Peter enjoyed the read.
Gabriella
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book when I was growing up. The author seems to have sensitive insights into the behavior of children. The discussion questions at the back of the book is a good way to gauge your child's opinion and knowledge on the topic.
LaDonna Smith
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Big and Small in the mirror" deals with a very serious issue, bullying. The book follows two boys Marco and Danny and shows how bullying can make both the bully and the person being bullied feel. In the story each time the boys were mean to each other later that day when they reached home and looked at themselves in the mirror they appeared smaller. I think the author used the mirror as a way to show that bullying can make others feel small and can even change how a person sees him or herself. ...more
Mary
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a series of three books dealing with subjects that are so real and bothering school children all over the world.

I read this book with my two grandchildren, Aryana is 9 years old and Christian is 5 years old. They both understood the concept and enjoyed the book.

They were upset that Carlo felt smaller when Danny had pushed him. But both of them were happy that Danny felt the same way and that both felt better.

The book is very well written and the stories are right on p
Joshua Grant
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mary Feliciani hits us in the heart once more and addresses the effects of bullying in Big and Small in the Mirror! Bullying is a dark and terrible scourge that can affect us in many ways. In this particular installment in Feliciani’s bullying trilogy, Carlo gains a negative self image after being bullied, but also learns the value and power of positive relationships. Feliciani’s storytelling is beautiful and realistic, and offers a positive path for those who have dealt with bullying! Coupled w ...more
Nadishka Aloysius
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy but this review is unbiased*
Carlo and his friend Marco (from MAGIC LEAF) are back - this time dealing with a bully. Bullying takes many forms and sometimes is brushed off as 'plain bad behaviour" by some adults. What really struck me was how Marco / Carlo had the support of friends and family to help them regain their self confidence and humour, while the bully did not. This story gives a sympathetic view of the bully too, although it does not excuse his behaviour.
The i
Michelle
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughters and I read this book and loved it! The only thing we thought could have been better would have been the end. We wish that the ending would have been different. Bullying is a major issue lately and this hit home for my daughters. They have seen a lot of bullying in their schools and have also been bullied to the point of them coming home crying. Not only do they feel small but they do not feel as important than what they really are. I would recommend this to all schools and start rea ...more
Tony Parsons
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Roseto (Italian medieval town). It was recess time at the Roseto Elementary School & Carlo (Marco’s BMF) & Marco (Carlo’s BMF) 4th. graders were going to play soccer with some of their other classmates.
Carlo & Danny were captains.
Danny seemed to have a bad temper.
He liked to bully & degrade other students.
Recess was over, back in class.
Later after supper/homework Carlo went to play with Marco’s at his house.
Mrs. Romano was Marco, Bruno & Danny’s teacher.
How do you overcome being bullied?

A
Whispering Stories
Carlo and his best friend Marco attend Roseto Elementary school. They both share a love of soccer, and enjoy playing it with their classmates. However there is one boy, Danny, who is always quick to lose his temper. When Carlos accidentally kicks him while trying to get the ball, Danny becomes aggressive, making Carlos feel scared.

Once home, Carlo looks in the mirror and feels smaller than usual, after Danny made him feel sad and upset. When Danny returns home he also looks in the mirror, and fe
Gerry
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A creative and entertaining story about a problem children often deal with. Seeing it through the eyes of Marco and Danny will help them understand and respond to similar situations. I recommend this book as a good shared reading for parent and child.
Samantha Stambaugh
Review to come soon!
Archer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The soccer scenario in the book is easy for children (8-10 yr. olds) to relate to. The title is so appropriate. The book lives up to its synopsis.
Lauren Pierre
In Big and Small in the Mirror, we meet Carlo and Marco, two friends attending the same school in medieval Roseto, Italy. Each boy has a personal run in with Danny, a hot-tempered boy with a tendency to bully other children at the school. Now, Marco and Carlo are tasked with figuring out how to prevent any future taunting from Danny, while Danny tries to understand himself as a bully.

I’ve wanted to read this book for a while, and I’m happy to say I wasn’t disappointed. The characters are very re
Danger Brown
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is good for new readers dealing with new (to them) problems at school. I felt that it did a pretty good job of portraying a child's perspective on bullying and being bullied. Your child will also be exposed to some new vocabulary words.
Michelle Porter
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*

Big and Small in the Mirror, by Mary Feliciani is a story of two 4th grade friends who are bullied at school by their classmate. This book is set in a small town in Italy.
The author did a good job of portraying a child's perspective of bullying and the effects it causes emotionally to both the bully and the person being bullied (Hence the title).
I personally like how the author includes the importance of family support on thi
Wendy Wiseman
Feb 16, 2017
Lily Erlic
Mar 22, 2020
Rose Gay
Aug 18, 2019
Making Connections: 5740. - Big and Small in the Mirror by Mary Feliciani 16 24 Apr 11, 2020 11:14AM

• Raffy Calfy's Rescue (Animal Protector Series Book 3)
Mary Feliciani is a Canadian author, independent publisher and an elementary school teacher. She attended UTM where she studied psychology and still lives in Mississauga, Ontario. Mary's background in psychology, work with children and passionate interest in the human condition, which stems back as far as she can remember, are all evident in her writing.

Author's Page on Amazon