Start by marking “Death at Whitewater Church (Inishowen Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Death at Whitewater Church (Inishowen Mysteries #1)

Death at Whitewater Church

(Inishowen Mysteries #1)

When a skeleton is discovered, wrapped in a blanket, in the hidden crypt of a deconsecrated church, everyone is convinced the bones must be those of Conor Devitt, a local man who went missing on his wedding day six years previously. But the post mortem reveals otherwise.

Solicitor Benedicta 'Ben' O'Keeffe is acting for the owners of the church, and although an unwelcome
Published September 3rd 2015 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Death at Whitewater Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at Whitewater Church

Start your review of Death at Whitewater Church (Inishowen Mysteries #1)
Paromjit
This is a charming Irish murder mystery set in Innishowen. It is well plotted and constructed by Andrea Carter. It is one of those quintessentially warm hearted village crime novels. You know what I mean, a great and eccentric cast of characters, everyone knows everyone yet there are buried secrets within the community! Ben, a solicitor is present at a church when a skeleton is discovered in the crypt. It is widely expected that it will be Conor Devitt, who disappeared some time previously. Not ...more
Phrynne
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
This was a very enjoyable introduction to a new (to me) series.

Benedicta (Ben) O'Keeffe is a solicitor living and working in a small town on the coast of County Donegal, Ireland. The author used to do exactly the same thing herself so she must have a pretty good idea of what she is writing about. The town is small enough for everyone to know everyone else's business but it also holds plenty of secrets.

Having a solicitor as the main character works well as her job involves her in many of the
Susan
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the start of a new mystery series, set in a small, rural community in Inishowen – a peninsula in County Donegal, Ireland. Although the actual town the author uses is fictional, Inishowen is not and is a beautiful part of the world. Ben (Benedicta) O’Keefe is a solicitor, with her own small – but successful and busy – practice. When we meet Ben, she has taken some paperwork to Paul Doherty, who is currently carrying out a survey of Whitewater Church, when they discover a skeleton in the ...more
Darinda
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben O’Keeffe has the only law practice in town, and is working as the attorney for the land owners who are trying to sell an old church. While inspecting the church, a skeleton is discovered. The townspeople all assume it to be the body of Conor, a local man who went missing on his wedding day six years earlier. When the bones are determined to not belong to Conor, a real mystery begins. Whose remains were found in the church? And what happened to Conor?

Ben, short for Benedicta, has the most
Linda Strong

Solicitor Ben O'Keeffe is acting for the owners of a desecrated church, when a discovery of some old ..human..bones were found in a hidden crypt.

Every assumes it is the remains of Conor Devitt who went missing on the morning of his wedding day six years ago.

Conor's brother comes to see her, and dies in strange circumstances soon after.

And then Connor walks through town with his sister, Clair.

So whose skeleton was in the crypt? How did it get there? And why was he killed?

Negotiating between the
Fictionophile
"Death at Whitewater Church" marks my first time reading the work of Andrea Carter and my 6th title for "Reading Ireland Month".

This mystery, a first in a new series set in Inishowen, is a well wrought novel with likeable characters. The protagonist is Ben O'Keeffe a country solicitor. Her law practice is the most northerly solicitors's office in Ireland. 'Ben' is short for Benedicta, though that is not her real name... She has been in this small rural community for the past six years following
Elaine
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this murder mystery set on the wild coastline of County Donegal. When local solicitor Ben O’Keefe (a woman by the way) accompanies Surveyor Paul Doherty whilst he surveys a local disused church before it is sold, neither of them expect to find skeletal remains that definitely do not belong there. Local feeling is that it is Conor Devitt who disappeared six years ago on his wedding day. Are they right and if so, who put him there and why?

It is a story that just flows as we
sue
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I would like to thank Little, Brown Book Group UK via Net Galley

This is the start of a new series and judging from what I have just read, its going to be an excellent page turner.

This is set in a small village in Ireland.

Ben is a solicitor, he has a business there. Its small, busy and compact.
Ben is short for Benedict.

We also meet Paul. He is doing a survey on a church there called Whitewater.

A skeleton in the crypt is found and wondering what/whose it could be, Paul is endeavoring to try
Hans
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A promising first book. I rather like Ben as the nosy protagonist in a small fictional Irish community on the island of Inishowen.
Bastet
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Good story, well developed, believable setting and characters.

What I didn't like (my problem with the main character):
(view spoiler)
Josephine (Jo)
This was a really good murder mystery set around the Whitewater church near to Inishowen, Co. Donegal. Whitewater was a thriving village until a boat was blown up by terrorists during the ‘troubles’ in Northern Ireland. People drifted away and all that was left of the thriving community were a few cottages and a disused church.
When Benedicta ‘Ben’ O’Keeffe returns to her home town to set up as a solicitor she soon becomes embroiled in a series of very strange events and murder.
Ben is a very
Jean
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Audible; Melanie McHugh, narrator) Many secrets among the populace of the Inishowen peninsula in Donegal. This mystery has one good short story embedded in it, the story about why Benedicta O'Keeffe left Dublin for Inishowen. Perhaps because this is a first book in a series, author introduced too many characters, some of whom will likely reappear later. Author should have skipped the subplot about the home invasions, which really distracted from the main story.
Jan C
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery, ireland
Excellent start to mystery series. Northern Ireland, small town in Derry. Ben O'Keefe has escaped from Dublin - we gradually learn the story of her sister's death and why she doesn't want to see the pathologist. She has a solitary solicitor's office. Apparently a general practice. Maybe that's how it is in small towns. There is a troubled family - the husband committed suicide after a ship is blown up offshor and several crewmen die, although most of the crew was evacuated. One son is believed ...more
Chris Conley
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a good story. Having a country solicitor in Ireland as the heroine is a fun twist. I think this was a really good start to a new series. I a,ready reserved the next book at the library. :)
Kathleen
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a excellently crafted mystery. It reminded me of old school mysteries where each detail provided by the author becomes part of the eventual sleuthing conclusion. You know how when you realize the tiniest little background detail that had been provided along the way becomes the catalyst for putting all the pieces together? That's what this book does and it does it really, really well. I very highly recommend this read for people who really like to play the detective as they are ...more
Damaskcat
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very promising start to a new series of mysteries set in the small community of Inishowen in Ireland and featuring Benedicta O'Keeffe a solicitor - always known as Ben.

Conor Devitt disappeared on his wedding day nearly seven years ago. A skeleton is discovered in the crypt of a disused church which is about to be sold and renovated and turned into a holiday home. Conor's family believes the skeleton could be the missing man.

Ben is curious about the skeleton not least because she was
Rouven Cyncynatus
I love these small town mysteries where everyone in a small town knows everyone else’s business nd the person you expect solves the mystery. This appears to be Andrea Carter’s debut novel. Certainly I look forward to the next installment. The dialogue is crisp, clear and real. The plot and sub-plot is very well developed and you are kept guessing until the very end. This is like a Midsommer mystery but a little better. Keep up the good work Ms. Carter.
Ann-Marie
Liked it a lot. Looking forward to the next one.
Wallyeast
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this book based on the setting -- the Inishowen Peninsula in Ireland -- and wanting to read a mystery. The book mostly delivers on putting the reader into the setting. The mystery was interesting enough. Only three stars because there wasn't quite enough of either one.

Janell
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maybe for Louise Penny fans. There’s even the quirky bookstore owner!
Linden
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ben is a solicitor in a small town in Ireland. She’s changed her name and moved away from the big city to escape some very bad memories, but finds that in this small town, people have lots of secrets, too. What happened to the man who disappeared 6 years ago? And whose skeleton is found in Whitewater Church? Evocative of Ireland’s landscape and with well-drawn characters and a compelling plot, this book was an enjoyable read.
Melisende d'Outremer
Definitely intend following up with the rest of the series!

Narrative is in the first person - Benedicta "Ben" O"Keeffe, local solicitor. Just like the locals, Ben has secrets in her past that she is reluctant to reveal bu that haunt her none-the-less. The mystery obviously stems back to events in the past - but the links have never been connected, and until you creep towards the end, there is no glimmer of the truth emerging.

Nice, easy to read cosy mystery set in the wilds of NE Donegal. The
Mary Crawford
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Set in fabulous Donegal this book has an immediate reason to read it. Ben O'Keefe is the local solicitor who moved to Inishowen six years ago. She unexpectedly came across a skeleton in a deconsecrated church crypt and the whole village think they know who it is. This is a gentle murder mystery, dependant on the relationship Ben has with a local Garda. I enjoyed reading the descriptions of Donegal, small community characters and a back story that tells us why Ben originally left Dublin.
Maggie
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an unusual twist to see a murder mystery from the point of view of a country solicitor. However they are a repository of a lot of secrets and confidential information so they would seem to be fertile ground for lots of stories. Ben (Benedicta) O’Keefe is an interesting and well rounded character with problems of her own. After discovering a body whilst being with the surveyor of a property she becomes involved in unraveling the story behind this discovers where nothing is what it seems. ...more
Clare Chase
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The mystery itself was satisfying and clever, and I loved the vivid descriptions of the local scenery and the engaging cast of characters. It’s one of those atmospheric books you can get totally wrapped up in, without ending up exhausted from a constant feeling of tension. I also liked the dynamic between lead character Ben, who’s a solicitor and her contact in the local police, Tom Molloy. I’m looking forward to seeing how things pan out for them.
Anne-lie
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars. A good story and looking forward to the next installment
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
What starts as a metaphoric soothing tea served in exquisite porcelain ends with the kick of a brandy-laced double espresso.

Benedicta (“thanks to my parents’ fondness for an obscure fifth-century Italian saint”) O’Keeffe prefers to be called Ben. That moniker initially causes confusion, especially when it becomes evident that Ben is attracted to handsome top-cop, Sergeant Tom Molloy.

Ben, though, has an urgent need to contact Molloy. As a realty (conveyance) attorney, she and a surveyor discover
Lesa
While the trade paperback of Andrea Carter's Death at Whitewater Church was just released, it appears that the book has been out for several years online. However, most readers will discover it as the debut mystery in a character-driven, atmospheric series.

Benedicta "Ben" O'Keefe is a solicitor in Ireland, on the coast of Inishowen, with "the most northerly solicitor's office in Ireland" or, as she says, providing "the last legal advice in Ireland". She's acting for clients, the sellers of
Sue F
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I’ve said a time or two or two hundred, I really like interesting settings for the murder mysteries I read. As the author says in a note at the end, although this book’s specific town is fictional, the Inishowen peninsula is not, and it sounds absolutely gorgeous, if also quite remote. In fact, the protagonist, solicitor Benedicta “Ben” O’Keefe, who has her own reasons for appreciating the remoteness, makes a joke of it when she says that her office is the most northerly solicitor’s office in ...more
Roger
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Murder at Whitewater Church is the first Inishowen Mystery in a series by Andrea Carter. Fast paced and faithful to the area in which it is set, Carter’s book offers a detailed and believable plot development. Her books are set in the Inishowen Peninsula, an off the beaten track and little-known region which is the northernmost tip of Ireland, topped off by Malin Head, jutting into the Atlantic. However, Carter moves her characters around various points in Ireland, an island small enough that ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Black December (DCI Brendan Moran #1)
  • Song of the Dead (DI Westphall #1)
  • Dead In The Water (DI Marjory Fleming #5)
  • An Unsafe Pair of Hands
  • Fractured Truth (Bone Gap Travellers #2)
  • A Dream of Death (Kate Hamilton Mysteries #1)
  • Dead Man's Daughter (DI Meg Dalton, #2)
  • Cold (Alex Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • The Body in the Attic (A Jazzi Zanders Mystery #1)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • Mrs Pettigrew Sees a Ghost (Charity Shop Haunted Mystery, #1)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • M for Mammy
  • Dear Laura (Inspector Lintott Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Killer in Me (Frankie Sheehan, #2)
  • Buried in a Bog (County Cork, #1)
  • Wrong Light (Rick Cahill, #5)
I began writing fiction in earnest after my Chilean-born husband and I moved to Santiago in 1999. You could say I'm a late bloomer. As a child in northern British Columbia I broke into a neighbour’s house just to play with their typewriter. That should have been a sign. But I ignored it, grew up, raised four children and launched a career as a freelance illustrator/graphic designer, which expanded ...more

Inishowen Mysteries (4 books)
  • Treacherous Strand (Inishowen Mysteries Book 2)
  • The Well of Ice (Inishowen Mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder at Greysbridge (Inishowen Mysteries Book 4)
“boat at Whitewater and got aboard that way.” “What’s a pilot boat?” Phyllis laughed. “How long have you been in Inishowen?” “I know. I’m still learning.” “When a large ship enters an estuary, a local pilot is taken out to the ship in a small boat. The pilot then takes over from the captain and directs the boat up the estuary and into the harbor. There used to be a pilot station down at Whitewater, just below the church. I can’t believe you’ve never heard about the Sadie. Sure, that’s what happened to the Devitts.” I was confused. “I thought …?” At that moment my phone rang. I reached over to get it, checking the time before I answered it. I stood up quickly, nearly knocking my cup over. It was 2:05 p.m. “Ben, where are you?” It was Leah. “You’ve” 0 likes
“Being an outsider in a town where most people have spent their whole lives is not the easiest way to live. Sometimes, in my darker moments, I felt as if my role here was limited to that of an observer and facilitator for other people. That my own life was a sort of half-life, as if I didn’t really count because no one knew my “people.” But I have my reasons for being here.” 0 likes