Start by marking “Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)” as Want to Read:
Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)

Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS #7)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  2,692 Ratings  ·  411 Reviews
Life for Dexter J. Daley has never been easy, but he’s always found a way to pick himself back up with a smile on his face. Taken from his home, and the arms of his boyfriend and THIRDS partner, Sloane Brodie, Dex finds himself in a situation as mysterious and lethal as the Therian interrogating him. Dex learns what he’s secretly believed all along: his parents’ death wasn ...more
Published July 8th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Smoke & Mirrors, please sign up.
Charlie Cochet Hiya! The audiobooks are usually contracted once the book is released and then it depends on the narrator's schedule which is usually 2 or 3 months.…moreHiya! The audiobooks are usually contracted once the book is released and then it depends on the narrator's schedule which is usually 2 or 3 months. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. <3(less)
Alina Neacşu no, book 8 will the last one ( or so ms Cochet says on her goodreads page ) - Book 8: TBC (Primary romance: Dex & Sloane), Release Date: TBC 2016…moreno, book 8 will the last one ( or so ms Cochet says on her goodreads page ) - Book 8: TBC (Primary romance: Dex & Sloane), Release Date: TBC 2016 In planning stages(less)

Dalia
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

In the seventh installment of the THIRDS series we get a lot of answers to a lot of question. There’s so many interesting informations and moments to talk about, but then again, it’s very easy to spoil anything. One thing’s for sure, there’s an exciting change coming.

When Dex is interrogated by a lethal Therian, he learns that his parents were deliberately killed. The truth hits him quite hard and, as if this wasn’t bad enough, there has been something inexplicable happening to him. Also, with a
Kyle
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Back to the great books I'm used to from Charlie Cochet!

After being very disappointed with Book Six: Catch a Tiger by the Tail (see my review), I was very please that Smoke & Mirrors was back to the excellent story telling I've come to expect from Charlie Cochet. If you've read Book Six you probably remember it ended with a cliffhanger. Smoke and Mirrors begins when Catch a Tiger left off, with Dex a prisoner being interrogated. He keeps being asked just one question, "Where did his mother

Shile loves books
That's me in the corner
That's me in the box of shame
Saying, it's ME not the BOOK.

4 stars for the Audiobook
2.5 stars for the story

The Good

-Dex and Sloane together, they are an amazing couple.

-The banter between the characters was still there but in small doses .

-The Sex was hot.

-Ash, he was the best part of this book, I love him and Cael.

-Maddox what an amazing Dad.

The Bad

-The Batman storyline. Dex turned into a brooding Bruce Wayne. And lost his charming funny self.

-This book reminded me of all
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
RATING CHANGE!

3.5 Stars!

The more I think about it, the more some stuff bugged me. It was sort of nice to go back to Dex and Sloane I guess. But as much as I love all of these guys, I think I am getting a little burned out on the continuing plot.

A few times I found myself a little on the bored side, despite the fact that this one was pretty action packed.

I also found some of the interactions between Dex and Sloane to be a little on the cheesy side. Especially the (view spoiler)
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Series note: Smoke & Mirrors is not a stand alone novel. At all. Not only are the MC's a well established couple at this point in the series, the overall story arc spans all of the books. So, if you are new to this series, start with Hell & High Water.

Ok, now to the good stuff!

Smoke & Mirrors is the 7th book in Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series. It's been such a fantastic ride getting here and I think this might be my favorite book, so far. Fans of the series won't be disappoin
Karen
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap!!! If you love THIRDS you need to read this book...
So first he did...and then that happened...while they went...and then someone said...and they found...and he was...while no one knew...then they discovered...and he took...and that made him so angry that he...and everyone was...while he was so hurt and couldn't...and they all had to...silly kitten, of course I'm not really going to tell you what happened, where's the fun in that...but...

I will tell you how amazing this book was and t
Wendy
 photo giphy 1_zpsidkaqshb.gif

I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one, especially after the cliffhanger we were left with.

I didn't know which direction this book would go and I have to say I'm quite happy with how everything turned out, although I am a bit worried, that Dex and Sloans journey will take them away from friends and family. I just hope this is not the direction the author will take it.

I won't be able to say too much, since I don't want to spoiler anything.

The book begins with Dex's kidnapping (which is no
Steven
This series is starting to feel... blah. I dunno if this one just didn't have as much action, or had too much "feelings" and crying and emotional stuff, but it felt like, I dunno... less like men fighting side by side against bad guys and being naughty in the bedroom, and more like a girly romance novel/chick lit that just happened to have male protagonists. This is an issue I find that I have with so many of the female MM authors. It starts to feel like it's more aimed at female readers and les ...more
R.J.
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say... it was bloody awesome... ;)
Renée
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
THIRDS fans won't be disappointed with Book 7. I've been waiting for this one since Ms. Cochet left us with a cliffhanger in the last book. And coming back to my favorite couple makes me giddy.

The opening of the book is a little hard to take. Dex is kidnapped, which we knew from how the last book ended, but what happened during this time is a little hard to experience with him. What becomes even more obvious throughout this book, beginning with his kidnapping, is that something is up with Dex.
R * A Reader Obsessed *
5 Stars!!

Whew!

Well with an ending like that, Cochet hopefully guarantees us with infinite stories of this duo and their extended family and all the adventures they are inevitably going to have. Props to the brilliant set up ensuring that this can indeed go on forever. If only, right?

I admit, my love for the relationship between Dex and Sloane grew slowly, just like it did between them, and once they proclaimed their devotion, that’s when I was totally caught. The connection, the intimacy, the bl
Cristina T.
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The seventh installment in the THIRDS series holds the answer to every question I've had about some aspects of the story since book one. It leaves no stone unturned, it's an emotional roller coaster, painful, funny, and brilliant. Needless to say, Smoke & Mirrors exceeded my expectations by far!

Since we were left with a cliffhanger at the end of Catch a Tiger by the Tail, this book starts where the other left off. The first chapter is intense, and I was so so angry with Dex's captor that I
Jenni Lea
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Wow, I think this is the angstiest book of the bunch. Also the most action-packed. I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. These just keep getting better and better with each book. And the ball pit scene was epic!
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

If you’ve read this far in the THIRDS series, I’m not going to need to convince you to pick this book up. This is a series that must be read in order however, so if you’re new to the THIRDS world, please start with Book 1, Hell & High Water. While the story is really focused on Dex and Sloane, there is a lot that goes on in this seventh installment. Old questions are finally answered as new ones are raised and there are plenty of relationship is
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After two books focused on other members of Destructive Delta (Ash and Cael followed by Calvin and Hobbs), we’re finally back with Dex and Sloane. As much as I enjoyed seeing the other couples finally get together, I was desperate to rejoin my favorite blond, blue-eyed, gummy bear devourer. Unfortunately, Smoke & Mirrors starts out with both of our heroes in deep trouble so it takes a while for us to reach a part where we can laugh alongside them.

It’s quite obvious that Sloane and Dex’s main
Arch Bala
My Goodness!

'Such perfection!

Charlie's back!
***
01132016
I've just read an excerpt via Charlie's newsletter and my oh my! Mr.Wolf is an interesting character! And Dex is getting all saucy and cunning as usual!

Dex: I'm good with my mouth. we know Dex, we know. :)

Bev
 photo Destructive-Delta-Logo_zpsczpmca6d.png

To say I've been waiting for this story to appear is a huge understatement!! But fair's fair, Charlie kept dropping little hints to her group on Facebook and her blog followers, and the excitement just kept on growing.

So this story focuses of course [as it should] on Sloane

photo Thirds-Sloane Brodie_zpsrc3fm6s7.jpg

and Dex

photo Thirds-Dexter J Daley_zpscsed3ydb.jpg

I have to say, absolutely everything I thought was going to happen and suspected would actually happen did, even down to where the note that Gina Daley had left was hidden AND the revelations about Tony and Spark
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Mark Westfield consistently uses tone, props and ingenuity to draw the listener in. He makes the story so much more unique and emotion-filled.

All those threads that have been dangling since the beginning, all those moments that seem to have been unrelated, it’s all explained and tied up with a neat little bow AND the series is left open ended enough to (please!) continue with new stories featuring our favorite Human-Therian couple.

Along with Westfield’s terrific narration t
Chris
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series and this book was no exception. We see a heavier side to Dex in this book and his fears and vulnerability take greater place than his usual hilarious self. When Dex is faced with life threatening situations he is able to rise to the challenge with his dogged determination. Sloane takes these challenges to heart and finally realizes he is forever linked with Dex and forges a beautiful future ❤
I hope we get a spin off series with Sloane & Dex in their possibl
Trio
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, mm
yes, it was that fantastic! Loved reading it (since I couldn't wait) but hearing it read by Mark Westfield was even better! He does such great voices and he puts so much into the story... as incredible as this series is, it is probably one of the all time best audio series.
Elsbeth

Review tomo!!! But I absolutely loved it.

Vanna
3 stars! I know I'm lowering the rating on this one despite it being universally liked. But there were several issues in this book for me that were not consistent with the rest of the series and therefore I liked the book, but not as much as some of the others.
So the book begins where it had left off, with Dex waking up to his abductor and being tortured for some information that we readers are also clueless about. He manages to escape despite his injuries and then the strangest things start to
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

**My Salty Face**

I'm going to come out and say it. I think Charlie redeemed herself with this installment. I am one of the people who were pissed at the Ash & Cael's, and Hobbs & Calvin's book. I felt letdown, and was super disappointed. I didn't feel that they got enough attention on them. FFS, Dex & Sloane are the power couple we know, but I would like to think that they would get a chance to play second fiddle and be okay with it.  I'm especially salty about Hobbs book,
Viv
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I am a total and complete THIRDS Nerd and I have the t-shirt to prove it.

It's hard to believe that it has been 2 years since Book 1 was released. Dex & Sloane have come a long way in that time. Smoke & Mirrors demonstrates just how strong their relationship has become.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I am so excited to see where the series goes from here. I'm glad that Dex, Sloane and the gang won't be going anywhere any time soon. I thought this book was amazing and has
Meags
4 Stars

I'm such a broken record where this series is concerned. The character development and the world-building continue to wow and amaze. And although this wasn't my favourite book of the series, this was definitely the most emotionally charged of the bunch. The angst was ramped up to 11 (which was great for the feels), but the humour that I loved so much in the previous stories was sorely missing (as it should be because the tone and impact of this story would have been thrown off kilter othe
haletostilinski
Fucking yES!

Dex and Sloane!!!

description

It was good to take a break after four straight books with them, but it was also really awesome coming back to these two.

I couldn't put this down. I finally forced myself to when it was 3:30AM and I was forced to sleep, basically.

The last book was mostly filler, and I said I mostly loved that, but this one is the opposite of filler andI loved that too.

So many questions were answered, the plot was intriguing and suspenseful, Dex and Sloane were as amazing as ever.
Toni FGMAMTC

I’m crazy about this entire series, but Smoke & Mirrors is one of the better installments in my opinion. It begins with some of the most edge of your seat action from any of the books and continues to keep an energetic pace. The sex scenes are fiery hot, and the dramatic sequences suck in the reader and never let go.
Things have been building for a while now with Therians, humans and government agencies. This book leaves plenty of room for the story to grow, but it a
Simone

5 If-I-could-give-more-I-would-do-it stars

How Charlie Cochet is not only able to keep the standard of this series, but to set it even higher, especially after all this time, is beyond me. But she did it.

I will tell you a not-so-secret secret... I'm a bit obsessed with this series. Just a little bit. Well, more than a little bit. Okaaayyyyy, I'm totally obsessed with it. ;-) I love every single book of this series and gave all of them 5 stars. I've read the books multiple times, I devour the THI
Susan
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, shifters
Action packed, lots of character development, lots of sweet times between Dex and Sloane, more angst than we’re used to, and a lot of crazy new developments.

I’m glad I read all 7 books in a row, otherwise I would never have been able to get all the facts straight. These books are kind of complicated. I hope I still remember everything when the next book comes out, although I doubt it.

I really liked this one. Although the spy stuff was a little OTT for me. I mean, EVERYONE is a spy, and no one ca
BWT (Belen)
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
All those threads that have been dangling since the beginning, all those moments that seem to have been unrelated, it's all explained and tied up with a neat little bow AND the series is left open ended enough to continue with new stories featuring our favorite Human-Therian couple.

As a story I enjoyed it thoroughly, even while I had my usual niggles, but in the end it gave me smooth feels. However, I'll admit at the end of the day what I'm really looking forward to is listening to Mark Westfiel
  • If I Ever (Hell or High Water, #4)
  • Heart of the Warrior (The Tameness of the Wolf #4)
  • Absinthe of Malice (Sinners, #5)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • Prickly By Nature (Portland Pack Chronicles, #2)
  • Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1)
  • Crash & Burn (Cut & Run, #9)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • How to Wish Upon a Star (Howl at the Moon, #3)
  • Without Secrets (With or Without, #4)
  • Shatterproof (Shattered Glass, #3)
  • Conscious Decisions of the Heart (More Heat Than the Sun, #2)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • In the Blink of an Eye (Juxtapose City 2)
  • Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devouring a book, re
More about Charlie Cochet

THIRDS (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS, #4)
  • Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)
  • Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, #6)
  • Thick & Thin (THIRDS, #8)
  • Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS, #9)
  • Tried & True (THIRDS, #10)
  • Love and Payne (A THIRDS Universe Novel)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I know I lose my way sometimes, but if you're here, I'll always find my way back.” 6 likes
“I'll always be here, because with everyday that passes, I find new ways to love you.” 3 likes