Start by marking “Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)” as Want to Read:
Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)

Smoke & Mirrors

(THIRDS #7)

Life for Dexter J. Daley has never been easy, but he’s always found a way to pick himself back up with a smile on his face. Taken from his home, and the arms of his boyfriend and THIRDS partner, Sloane Brodie, Dex finds himself in a situation as mysterious and lethal as the Therian interrogating him. Dex learns what he’s secretly believed all along: his parents’ death wasn ...more
Published July 8th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Smoke & Mirrors, please sign up.
Charlie Cochet Hiya! The audiobooks are usually contracted once the book is released and then it depends on the narrator's schedule which is usually 2 or 3 months. H…moreHiya! The audiobooks are usually contracted once the book is released and then it depends on the narrator's schedule which is usually 2 or 3 months. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait. <3(less)
Alina Neacsu no, book 8 will the last one ( or so ms Cochet says on her goodreads page ) - Book 8: TBC (Primary romance: Dex & Sloane), Release Date: TBC 2016 In p…moreno, book 8 will the last one ( or so ms Cochet says on her goodreads page ) - Book 8: TBC (Primary romance: Dex & Sloane), Release Date: TBC 2016 In planning stages(less)

Start your review of Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, #7)
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Second re-read: 11.03.2020
This book is one of the better in the series. I love Sloane and Dex's relationship, it's beautiful. I love that the book is actually quite focused on them and their relationship rather than a big case. That being said, I did skim some bits as I'm still struggling with focusing, but it was a whole lot less than the other re-reads in the series.

Re-read: 11.06.2019
One question; what's the order in which Therian species is the most powerful? I mean, they got lions,
Nazanin
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, m-m
3 Stars

Well, this one was a bit more seriouse than the other previous ones. In this one there isn’t so much of Dex’s sense of humor, of course it was understandable with what Dex was going through but still I didn’t like that. The other thing that bothered me so much was (view spoiler) And another thing was Sloane did what he did in all other books, AGAIN!!!! This was seventh book and you
Dalia
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

In the seventh installment of the THIRDS series we get a lot of answers to a lot of question. There’s so many interesting informations and moments to talk about, but then again, it’s very easy to spoil anything. One thing’s for sure, there’s an exciting change coming.

When Dex is interrogated by a lethal Therian, he learns that his parents were deliberately killed. The truth hits him quite hard and, as if this wasn’t bad enough, there has been something inexplicable happening to him. Also, with a
Kyle
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Back to the great books I'm used to from Charlie Cochet!

After being very disappointed with Book Six: Catch a Tiger by the Tail (see my review), I was very please that Smoke & Mirrors was back to the excellent story telling I've come to expect from Charlie Cochet. If you've read Book Six you probably remember it ended with a cliffhanger. Smoke and Mirrors begins when Catch a Tiger left off, with Dex a prisoner being interrogated. He keeps being asked just one question, "Where did his mother

Shile
That's me in the corner
That's me in the box of shame
Saying, it's ME not the BOOK.

description

4 stars for the Audiobook
2.5 stars for the story

The Good

-Dex and Sloane together, they are an amazing couple.

-The banter between the characters was still there but in small doses .

-The Sex was hot.

-Ash, he was the best part of this book, I love him and Cael.

-Maddox what an amazing Dad.

The Bad

-The Batman storyline. Dex turned into a brooding Bruce Wayne. And lost his charming funny self.

-This book reminded me of all
Barbara➰
Reread May 2020

Sloane still wanted to make me stabby.

Reread June 2019

Still feeling kind of stabby towards Sloane but I do love them as a couple. Dex holds my heart though 😍

Originally read August 2018

Dex is one of my favorite characters of all time. I love his quirks and humor. I wanted to stab Sloane when he hurt him. Thankfully he gets his head out of his ass but I can hold a mean grudge. His gesture at the end helped me towards forgiving him. Let's hope he continues to be better. Poor Dex thou
Wendy
 photo giphy 1_zpsidkaqshb.gif

I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one, especially after the cliffhanger we were left with.

I didn't know which direction this book would go and I have to say I'm quite happy with how everything turned out, although I am a bit worried, that Dex and Sloan's journey will take them away from friends and family. I just hope this is not the direction the author will take it.

I won't be able to say too much, since I don't want to spoiler anything.

The book begins with Dex's kidnapping (which i
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
RATING CHANGE!

3.5 Stars!

The more I think about it, the more some stuff bugged me. It was sort of nice to go back to Dex and Sloane I guess. But as much as I love all of these guys, I think I am getting a little burned out on the continuing plot.

A few times I found myself a little on the bored side, despite the fact that this one was pretty action packed.

I also found some of the interactions between Dex and Sloane to be a little on the cheesy side. Especially the (view spoiler)
Diana
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so conflicted about this one. The first 50% I was not a happy camper, and by 55% I was growling like a Therian. So why is it that when I finished the book at 2 a.m., I had a big smile on my face.

Yea, I liked it!
Karen
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap!!! If you love THIRDS you need to read this book...
So first he did...and then that happened...while they went...and then someone said...and they found...and he was...while no one knew...then they discovered...and he took...and that made him so angry that he...and everyone was...while he was so hurt and couldn't...and they all had to...silly kitten, of course I'm not really going to tell you what happened, where's the fun in that...but...

I will tell you how amazing this book was an
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Series note: Smoke & Mirrors is not a stand alone novel. At all. Not only are the MC's a well established couple at this point in the series, the overall story arc spans all of the books. So, if you are new to this series, start with Hell & High Water.

Ok, now to the good stuff!

Smoke & Mirrors is the 7th book in Charlie Cochet's THIRDS series. It's been such a fantastic ride getting here and I think this might be my favorite book, so far. Fans of the series won't be disappointed.

The stor
* A Reader Obsessed *
5 Stars!!

Whew!

Well with an ending like that, Cochet hopefully guarantees us with infinite stories of this duo and their extended family and all the adventures they are inevitably going to have. Props to the brilliant set up ensuring that this can indeed go on forever. If only, right?

I admit, my love for the relationship between Dex and Sloane grew slowly, just like it did between them, and once they proclaimed their devotion, that’s when I was totally caught. The connection, the intimacy, the bl
Susan
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Re-read March 2019
I'm finally caught up on the series. Now I can read the books I haven't read before.

------------------------------------------------

Action packed, lots of character development, lots of sweet times between Dex and Sloane, more angst than we’re used to, and a lot of crazy new developments.

I’m glad I read all 7 books in a row, otherwise I would never have been able to get all the facts straight.

I really liked this one. Although the spy stuff was a little OTT for me. I mean, EVER
Bev
This series just gets better, I absolutely loved this one. Tony, you sneaky devil, you! 😈

I'm 5 starring this even though Sloan was a bloody idiot at times.
Steven
This series is starting to feel... blah. I dunno if this one just didn't have as much action, or had too much "feelings" and crying and emotional stuff, but it felt like, I dunno... less like men fighting side by side against bad guys and being naughty in the bedroom, and more like a girly romance novel/chick lit that just happened to have male protagonists. This is an issue I find that I have with so many of the female MM authors. It starts to feel like it's more aimed at female readers and les ...more
Nazanin ex-Profile
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this series! I usually don't like re-reads but I can totally see myself reading this again in the near future! On to the next book.
Renée
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
THIRDS fans won't be disappointed with Book 7. I've been waiting for this one since Ms. Cochet left us with a cliffhanger in the last book. And coming back to my favorite couple makes me giddy.

The opening of the book is a little hard to take. Dex is kidnapped, which we knew from how the last book ended, but what happened during this time is a little hard to experience with him. What becomes even more obvious throughout this book, beginning with his kidnapping, is that something is up with Dex.
Cadiva
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm running out of superlatives for these books.

My heart was thumping throughout as the tensions built up and up and more secrets came flying out!

Loved it.
Janie
I am loving this series so much. I’ll be sad when I get to the end. Dex is still as amazing as ever. And I really love Sloane too. He does something really stupid in this book but it’s not unforgivable. The secondary characters add so much to this series. Can’t wait to see what comes next.
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

If you’ve read this far in the THIRDS series, I’m not going to need to convince you to pick this book up. This is a series that must be read in order however, so if you’re new to the THIRDS world, please start with Book 1, Hell & High Water. While the story is really focused on Dex and Sloane, there is a lot that goes on in this seventh installment. Old questions are finally answered as new ones are raised and there are plenty of relationship issues
Deborah
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad I stuck with this series and these guys. I couldn’t put this book down.
Now I didn’t like everything but it was addictive reading.
Cristina T.
The seventh installment in the THIRDS series holds the answer to every question I've had about some aspects of the story since book one. It leaves no stone unturned, it's an emotional roller coaster, painful, funny, and brilliant. Needless to say, Smoke & Mirrors exceeded my expectations by far!

Since we were left with a cliffhanger at the end of Catch a Tiger by the Tail, this book starts where the other left off. The first chapter is intense, and I was so so angry with Dex's captor that I just
Meags
4 Stars

I'm such a broken record where this series is concerned. The character development and the world-building continue to wow and amaze. And although this wasn't my favourite book of the series, this was definitely the most emotionally charged of the bunch. The angst was ramped up to 11 (which was great for the feels), but the humour that I loved so much in the previous stories was sorely missing (as it should be because the tone and impact of this story would have been thrown off kilter othe
Fabi
So close to a five star read. Full of action. No slow downs. Lots of feels. Sloan and Dex remain my favorite couple.

I'm too pissed off at Sonya Sparks and TIN to give this one the full five stars. I'm a firm believer in consequences and I didn't see any here. I NEEDED consequences.

Yet, here I am at the end of book 7 in the series, looking forward to book 8.
Jenni Lea
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Wow, I think this is the angstiest book of the bunch. Also the most action-packed. I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. These just keep getting better and better with each book. And the ball pit scene was epic!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After two books focused on other members of Destructive Delta (Ash and Cael followed by Calvin and Hobbs), we’re finally back with Dex and Sloane. As much as I enjoyed seeing the other couples finally get together, I was desperate to rejoin my favorite blond, blue-eyed, gummy bear devourer. Unfortunately, Smoke & Mirrors starts out with both of our heroes in deep trouble so it takes a while for us to reach a part where we can laugh alongside them.

It’s quite obvious that Sloane and Dex’s main sto
Bev
 photo Destructive-Delta-Logo_zpsczpmca6d.png

To say I've been waiting for this story to appear is a huge understatement!! But fair's fair, Charlie kept dropping little hints to her group on Facebook and her blog followers, and the excitement just kept on growing.

So this story focuses of course [as it should] on Sloane

photo Thirds-Sloane Brodie_zpsrc3fm6s7.jpg

and Dex

photo Thirds-Dexter J Daley_zpscsed3ydb.jpg

I have to say, absolutely everything I thought was going to happen and suspected would actually happen did, even down to where the note that Gina Daley had left was hidden AND the revelations about Tony
Arch Bala
My Goodness!

'Such perfection!

Charlie's back!
***
01132016
I've just read an excerpt via Charlie's newsletter and my oh my! Mr.Wolf is an interesting character! And Dex is getting all saucy and cunning as usual!

Dex: I'm good with my mouth. we know Dex, we know. :)

description
Trio
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yes, it was that fantastic! Loved reading it (since I couldn't wait) but hearing it read by Mark Westfield was even better! He does such great voices and he puts so much into the story... as incredible as this series is, it is probably one of the all time best audio series.
Elsbeth

Review tomo!!! But I absolutely loved it.

• How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Tied Up in Knots (Marshals, #3)
  • Fit to be Tied (Marshals, #2)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Devil's Hour (Zero Hour, #2)
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • Zero Divergence (Zero Hour, #3)
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes (The Hitman's Guide #2)
  • Inside Affair (Prime Time, #1)
  • Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • In the Wreckage (Metahuman Files, #1)
  • Strength of the Pack (The Tameness of the Wolf, #1)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Who We Truly Are (Enhanced, #2)
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devouring a book, re

THIRDS (10 books)
  • Hell & High Water (THIRDS #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS #2)
  • Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3)
  • Rise & Fall (THIRDS #4)
  • Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)
  • Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, #6)
  • Thick & Thin (THIRDS, #8)
  • Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS, #9)
  • Tried & True (THIRDS #10)

News & Interviews

“I know I lose my way sometimes, but if you're here, I'll always find my way back.” 7 likes
“I'll always be here, because with everyday that passes, I find new ways to love you.” 4 likes