Start by marking “The Christmas We Met” as Want to Read:
The Christmas We Met

The Christmas We Met

A gorgeous winter tale about the secrets revealed by a collection of family jewels.

A talented young jewellery designer fights to rebuild her life and family by solving the mystery surrounding a diamond brooch given to her by her grandmother.

When Grace Manners takes up residence on the Wittering Manor estate in Sussex, she little realizes working alongside eccentric Fraser
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published October 22nd 2015 by Orion

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas We Met, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas We Met

Shaz Goodwin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

When I saw The Christmas We Met on Netgalley I was drawn to the element of mystery surrounding the family secret - what could possibly be that powerful that it threatens to destroy what little Grace has left? Not only did I want to find out about the story of the diamond brooch, the jewellery making was a pull too. You may have seen the fabulous posts Kate's guests have shared with her around their own Family Jewels.

Grace and Jack's first meeting in the pr
Suze Lavender
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grace has lost everything. Her husband disappeared one day and he left her with a trail of debt. She and her daughter still have each other though and Grace is determined to make sure they will have a happier future. When she goes to the Wittering Manor to talk to Fraser, the owner, she meets his godson Jack on the way there. She feels straight at home with them and takes the assistant job that's being offered to her. Fraser is writing his memoir and he need someone to help him. There's a cottag ...more
Suzie Groers
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Christmas We Met begins with a wonderful snowy scene. Grace Manners has a broken heart, a husband who has disappeared along with all of their money, leaving Grace to pick up the pieces for herself and her daughter, Harriet. As she can no longer afford to carry on with her jewellery design business, she seeks out the only other work that she is qualified for, and gets a position working as a personal assistant / secretary for Fraser Stratton at Wittering Manor. Fraser is an old eccentric who ...more
Sarah Lee
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book as I thought it would have a Christmas theme or be set at Christmas. It kind of starts and finishes at Christmas but is nor really a christmas book, I did however, thoroughly enjoy it! It's a fab read. Set in the 1970's it tells the story of Grace, who has everything, house, business, husband and daughter, but everything crumbles away and she has to build a new life for her and her daughter. She goes to work as a secretary at Wittering Manor and finds herself solving a family ...more
Emma Crowley
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Christmas We Met is the latest gorgeous read from Kate Lord Brown, I have only previously read one of her books The Perfume Garden but simply adored it. So I was delighted to see she had a new book out and even better Christmas was in the title. Admittedly it isn't all based around Christmas but the opening scene set deep in a snow covered countryside in January 1979 set us up very nicely for what was to come. This book was a slow burner for me but the deeper you got into the story the more ...more
Lori
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining story, maybe one step up from a Hallmark movie.
Grace Manners has lost everything except her daughter. Her husband is missing, presumed dead. Her jewelry design business and all assets have been taken to pay his debts. She lands a job at Wittering Manor as assistant to Fraser Stanton, helping him write his memoirs. Jewelry and gems play an important part of moving this novel along. Two matched brooches given to twins and gems that arrive in mysterious manila envelopes each month, add
Linda Amos
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a love story but not a slushy one and is intertwined with a mystery.
Grace lost everything and her parents lost a great deal when Grace's husband's company goes bankrupt. But what happened to him? She takes a job at Wittering Manor writing the memoirs of the owner, Fraser. His war stories leave more questions. Why does Grace's grandmother, Margot, suddenly disappear? Grace sets up a jewellery studio to make some money. Who is sending her a jewel every month - each gem is the correct one
Urszula
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, drama
Interesting story about a young mother, who finds herself starting new life from scratch. There is romance and mystery and very colourful characters. As well as complex family relationships and a big family secret.
Gayle
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
When Grace's husband disappears, she must pick up the pieces of her life. With young daughter Harry, she gets a job helping Fraser with his memoirs. But, the past meets the present with two adjoining pieces of an antique tiara and a 40 year old love affair.
Alannah Purslow
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. The story has so many twists that keep you on your toes and characters that are well developed that you grow to love and root for. Brilliantly written festive read!
Ragnhild Dahle
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lettlest koselig roman
RhiannaH
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply fantastic.
Sarah Staddon-Phillips
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and captivating. No more needs to be said.
Eva Hechenberger
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da ich ja ab und zu Mal ein Buch wegen des Cover lesen möchte, wollte ich dieses Buch hier unbedingt lesen, da ich das Cover sehr schön und ansprechend finde.
Es ist die Geschichte von Grace, die wegen diverser unglücklicher Ereignisse alles verliert und so plötzlich eine neue Arbeit suchen muss. Durch Zufall landet sie als Assistentin bei dem Autor Fraser Stratton. Hier lebt sie sich recht schnell ein und ihr Leben beginnt sich u verändern…
Mir hat die Geschichte von Grace ganz gut gefallen. Stel
lisa
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is 1979 and jewellery designer Grace is at a low point in her life. Her husband is missing presumed dead by suicide, she has lost her business, and her house.

Grace is given a diamond brooch by her grandmother Margot. The brooch was one of a pair which once was part of the Stratton tiara. Grace goes to Wittering Manor home of the Stratton family to uncover the story of the brooch. She takes employment as Fraser Stratton's secretary to assist him with the writing of his memoirs. Living in the
Suan Watts
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first few chapters I had difficulty understanding but as the tale unravels it becomes clearer. Lovely book to read. Don't think by the title that it is centred around Christmas as Christmas has a very small part to play.

I won this book through Goodreads.
Lipsy
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5! Review to follow @ https://lipsyy.wordpress.com
Stacey Kelly-Jones
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, it has everything - mystery, suspense and love. It's a nice, easy read which is just what I needed after the book I read before this.
Aryana
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. Review will be added later.
Maria
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good, really good
Emma
Dec 29, 2015
Trudy Wilson
Jan 06, 2016
Galatea
rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2017
Mar 08, 2016
louise mayer
Dec 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Inheritance (Swell Valley #1)
  • Vendetta
  • Old Sins
  • A Christmas Tail
  • The Marrying Game
  • Mimi
  • Perfectly Correct
  • The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton
  • Jane Eyre Laid Bare: The Classic Novel with an Erotic Twist
  • What Would Mary Berry Do?
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • The Professor of Poetry
  • Bleak Expectations
  • Don't Tell the Groom
  • The Birds on the Trees
  • The Great Grisby: Two Thousand Years of Literary, Royal, Philosophical, and Artistic Dog Lovers and Their Exceptional Animals
  • The Damned (The Darkest Hand Trilogy #1)
  • Miss Marley: The Untold Story of Jacob Marley’s Sister
Kate grew up in the wild and beautiful Devon countryside. After studying philosophy at Durham University and art history at the Courtauld Institute of Art, Kate gained a MA in Creative Writing. In 2016 THE HOUSE OF DREAMS will be published in the US, and THE TASTE OF SUMMER in the UK.
“Love and loss come in equal measure.” 0 likes