Start by marking “Midnight Caller” as Want to Read:
Midnight Caller

Midnight Caller

(Moonlight Romance #1)

Re-Release: (Midnight Caller, Haley Whitehall, Liquid Silver Books. This is a re-edited and lengthened version.)

Life without love is painful, but in the Reconstruction Era South forbidden fruit can be deadly. A fiery romance between a widow and an African-American man has more consequences than either of them imagined.

Slavery has ended,
ebook
Published August 13th 2015 by Haley Whitehall (first published August 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Caller

~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Surprised me. But in a very good way. Though I do wish that the outcome wasn't made to be quite so simple. Considering the era we're in, in this story. And the harsh and often times scary reality these characters have had to endure, & live through. I wish things played out a bit more realistically in certain ways as the plot unfolded. But the outcome/ending was still great. If not just a little too rushed, but still great. :)

The little twist that made certain things possible, I l
Rosanna Leo
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. In picking up Haley Whitehall's Midnight Caller, I will admit I experienced a bit of hesitation. Not because of the talented author and surely not because of her writing. I did worry, however, at whether or not this story would guarantee a happy ending, something I like with my romances. After all, this is a romance set in the tumultuous period after the Civil War when relations between whites and African Americans were volatile. How could a love between a white woman and a freed blac ...more
Romance Novels in Color
Midnight Caller is set in the late 1800s and follows the love affair between a young white widow, Emma Bennett, and her black escort, Frederick. During this time, racism is very much prevalent, but Emma takes a chance as she needs some sexual relief after being in a loveless and controlling marriage. What starts out as Frederick just doing what he is paid to do, turns into much more. Secrets are revealed and lives are in danger. It does not help that Emma is wanted by another suitor, so when thi ...more
Wendy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mar-14
Midnight Caller by Haley Whitehall is a sensual novella that I didn't want to see end. Her story telling gift had me turning the pages, from start to finish, in one sitting.
Set in 1865, the story begins with Emma Bennetts' husband dying in a carriage accident. This sets her free and releases her from the loveless marriage she had endured. Emma decides to enjoy her freedom before wanting to settle down with a husband and to have a family.
Taking the advice of a prominent socialite she is ac
Strawberry_Lynn __
A well-written and enjoyable interracial romance novel which I enjoyed a lot. The seduction – which wasn't really a seduction – was a bit of a letdown, with Frederic taking orders from Emma (“touch me here, touch me there,”) etc. I'd have preferred for Frederic to have been a bit more Alpha. Wouldn't everyone?

There aren't many BMWW interracial romance novels out there – excluding the amateuristic 24-page wonders we see a lot of – so I hope that Haley Whitehall writes more in this category
Teresa
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was pretty generic. Repetitive (extremely repetitive really), some of the most intense instalove i've ever seen, very dramatic, very overly emotional, cartoon level evil villiany and of course very detailed sex scenes. Nothing you haven't seen before a billion other times. I found the ending very rushed and anti climatic. I also felt like emma's secret really killed any tension or drama the story had.
Sam Bakunzi
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, good intreging story. Thank you!
Elaine Gecowets
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise!

This book was quite a surprise for me.I was glad to see true love find its way.There is nothing better than a happily ever after.
Sandy N
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book but it was just an OK read. I didn't really care much for the characters.
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
Thank you to Haley Whitehall for reaching out and asking us to review her book.If she hadn't requested a review, I would have never found this story or the subsequent stories that follow.

This story is set in 1865-1866 and if you like historical romances, then you may enjoy this one. This story discusses how even after slavery was abolished, people still treated African-Americans.

I really have to be a in certain type of mood to read historical romances because I have remember that th
Cathy Geha
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haley Whitehall has created a steamy novella set in 1866, just after the War Between the States. The story of Emma and Frederick is one that starts in a rather unexpected way but grows into true love. The secret Emma holds close and how it has impacted her life is central to the story but is the twist at the end that makes this story even more believable. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who would like a quick steamy read with two charming characters.
InD'tale Magazine
An intriguing peek into what could have happened in the South just after the Civil War, Ms. Whitehall builds a story just as compelling as any Regency or Victorian "widow" story.

Read full review in the 2014 August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Tynika
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A forbidden love!!

This book was very good. I finished in one day, I couldn't stop reading it!! I like that this love story was very realistic in late 1800's yet very few people have the guts to write about forbidden loves that across color lines but they show the real obstacles they face without sugarcoating things.

Vikki Vaught

Jun 07, 2014
Shelly
rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2015
Haley Whitehall has been obsessed with telling stories since the age of four. Her addiction to the Civil War era came later, but proved no less potent. She earned her B.A in history from Central Washington University. Pairing her two passions, she writes historical fiction with a touch of faith. She gives a voice to the underdog with her cats supervising. Mark Twain serves as her writing mentor. H ...more

Moonlight Romance (3 books)
  • Midnight Heat (Moonlight Romance #2)
  • Midnight Kiss (Moonlight Romance, #3)