Start by marking “A Walk in the Sun” as Want to Read:
A Walk in the Sun

A Walk in the Sun

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  360 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
In this Bridges of Madison County for teens, Michelle Zink weaves a magnetic tale about summer love that stays with you long after the seasons change.

Rose Darrow never wanted to spend her life working on her family’s farm. But when her family is rocked by an unexpected tragedy she has no choice but to put her plans for the future—and dreams of escaping her small town—on ho
Published May 3rd 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about A Walk in the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk in the Sun

“Anything can happen. Take hold of this moment. The future will take care of itself.”

This was a YA contemporary romance about a girl who had recently lost her mother.

Rose was quite a strong character, and it was admirable the way she had taken over the farm after her mother’s death.

The storyline in this was mainly about the romance, and we did get a bit of a low-key lov
Stacee
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Everyone knows I'm picky about contemps, but I've enjoyed the last couple of Michelle's books, so I was eager to read this one.

I loved Rose and Bodhi. They're both strong, yet struggling with different types of grief. I loved the slow burn of their relationship. It was satisfying to read the delicious build up. There are some great secondary characters {I adored Rose's BFF, Lexie} and everyone felt fleshed out and there for a reason.

Of course there's some angsty times, that's to be expected in a
Jen Ryland
This isn't going to be for everyone. It was a little slow-paced, but kind of sweet, with nice details about life on a farm. But after reading a book where all the characters' actions and feelings seemed completely contrived, A Walk in the Sun presented the exact opposite: characters who felt honest and sincere.

This is definitely a grief book of sorts - Rose's mom has died, and while Rose is managing as best as she can, her father isn't. Rose should be going off to college and testing the waters
Once Upon a Twilight
A Walk in the Sun was the perfect contemporary novel all rolled into one. Rose and Bodhi are forced together when Rose’s aunt hires Bodhi to help on their family farm. Rose is close to graduating high school but her hopeful plans for travel after graduation are put on hold after the death of her mother that has left her father in a deep depression and Rose feels responsible for taking care of the family farm. Cue Rose’s aunt hiring on Bodhi for the summer. While Rose is dealing with heavy grief, ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
This is my first summer read and I have to say it was a great read considering I was reading it in the middle of a winter storm and thinking about the farm and love in the air. Not to mention I lost an aunt while I was reading this so it did hit home for me. I thought I would cry through it but I did cry but mostly I was rooting for Bohdi and Rose.

Rose has her life all figured out. She is going to leave her family's farm and small town and move on to bigger and better things. Only a tragedy stri
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

3.5/5 stars

A Walk in the Sun is a YA contemporary romance. It is a standalone and my first book by this author.

The book is told in third person narration. There are two narrators: Rose and Bodhi.

The book is set on a farm in New York.

The story is sweet and cute. It is sort of light, although there are a few heavier issues addressed. After reading some really heavy and emotional books lately it was a nice change to read something a bit lighter.

Rose is 18 and graduating from high school. Her mom ha
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Rose just graduated high school and lives on her family's farm. Instead of traveling this summer or going off to college, she is staying put in order to help her family run the farm. This is especially important since things haven't been going smoothly since her mother died. Her father really hasn't bounced back and taken over the responsibilities, so it's up to Rose to hold things together. But the fact of the matter is, she is still grieving over the loss of her mother. Then a mysterious stran ...more
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Putting on hold 2/24/16: I read about 10% of this and I'm just not getting into it. I didn't realize this started with the death of a family member (Rose's mother) and was thinking it would be a bit lighter. I may come back to it once more reviews come out but for now, this isn't really the book I'm in the mood for.
Elaina
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
This book was alright..not my favorite, but it was okay :)
Hannah Martian
DNF at page 40. I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Too much exposition and dialogue at the beginning maybe?
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
*ARC kindly provided by Harper Teen thru Edelweiss for review*

New York was always known as the concrete jungle. A city full of buildings, graffiti’s and subways that’s why I’m so surprised that A Walk In The Sun was set in a country-side -  specifically a ranch -  in New York. Surprising right?

Told in alternating point of view, A Walk In The Sun is not your simple summer love story. The story has its own share of tragedy and heartbreak.

Before everything happened, Rose Darrow had a life outside M
Megan
An okay beach read kind of book. Rose was a good heroine, (view spoiler). I thought the romance, though it took a while to start, seemed to move very quickly. The ending was nice, but a little unbelievable.
Deniz
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, love
3.5 Stars

A Walk in the Sun did touch me deeply.
A story about loss and moving on. Yet also story about love and new beginnings.
This is not a cute & fluffy, nor is it exciting and fun.
It is a slow paced story that examines first love, coming of age and dealing with loss. And also in the end the reality of fear and new beginnings. It's beautiful.

My favorite part about this is definitely the way Zink managed to actually convey these themes. And also her descriptions of the farm and the life
Princess Bookie
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-net-g, read2016
My Thoughts: This one was so sweet!!! It’s a little country novel that just makes your heart melt!

We are introduced to Rose who lives on a farm with her father. Her mother passed away shortly ago and Rose is doing her absolute best to keep the farm going on. She takes care of the day to day tasks, with the help of one of her neighbors!

Well, they decide to hire a little bit of help! Another boy comes into the picture named Bodhi! I just knew from the minute I met Bodhi I was going to like him! H
Christy LoveOfBooks

Even though YA contemporary hasn’t necessarily been my thing lately, I couldn’t resist A Walk in the Sun after reading the blurb. It gave me a touch of nostalgia. Luckily, it turned out be a good one. I didn’t fall head-over-heels in love with it, but I did like it.

Rose’s mom recently passed away, and she’s had to put her plans for college and traveling on hold in order to help her dad with the farm. Loss, grieving, and depression are issues Rose is dealing with, especially when it comes to her
Maggie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book by Michelle Zink, i feel i can really relate to this book as it is relaisitic fiction. My favorite thing about the book is that all of the relationships in the books are slowly developing as the book goes on and i liked that because it made me feel like i could relate to the book as the characters and relationships developed as the story did. overall i really liked this book and would highly recommend it if you are into to romance and real life events.
Nicolette (FallingOverBooks)
This book touched me in a way that I cannot explain. I really liked it!!
Kenzie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mandy
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book is one of the best books i have ever read the emotion in this book makes you want to read it all over again you never want the story to end Michelle Zink has rocked my world the people in this book are so well put tog. Rose the girl the story follows is so closed off and just not happy Bodhi is a gentleman he is a farm boy with a hidden story what happens when there line crosses

one more note you should know is this book is in third person but it brings out the story more and you see b
Nora
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was in the mood for a cute country romance and I realized this book would not fit the bill when I discovered it actually was set in upstate New York. It was okay, a light read, just predictable to the point of annoyance, as well as frankly a bit boring. It took me almost the entire time I could possibly have it checked out from the library without it being over due to finish. Actually it’s probably overdue, and not worth the $.25 cents I’ll have to pay for it.
Alissa
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This ended up being so much better than I imagined. Grief can be so difficult to portray, but this was poignant and beautiful. Plus, Bodhi's slow smile made me smile every time. I really liked watching them fall in love. I love the actual end end, but the part before the end was a little confusing as to what the problem was. Not that it didn't make sense, but I just wanted a little more...something, progression of her reasoning, maybe? But I really liked it. It was...relaxing.
Gabby Citronnelli
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was a pretty simple story line dealing with death, grief, and love. But the way Michelle Zink writes about these things in the storyline is captivating. I legit read the whole book in one day, as I could not put it down. The character Rose is a sweet soul, and I loved her from the very beginning.
Kelly
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is a mostly clean YA love story. You know what's coming, but that didn't really bother me. I loved the characters, Bodhi and Rose (who's a red head like me) and enjoyed being on the farm with them. I doubt I would read it again, which is why I only gave 4 stars, but it was an easy, pleasant read.
Tyra Lynn
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good Summer read. It really gets into the real deal of farm life. I like how the author explored the decisions of choice in this book. I would definitely recommend. Michelle Zink has a great writing style. I will definitely read more of her work.
Kendra
Jan 04, 2018 added it
I have two words for this book..Slow and predictable. This book has a feel good ending. There wasn't a lot of conflict.
Tammy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Is it wrong to say my lasting though with this read is what a putz Will was? What an ornery whine butt! Bodhi and Rose are cute together but I'm thinking the best part of their story is yet to come.
Brittney
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
A Walk in the Sun made me feel the feels! Rose was a strong, young woman, one who didn't realize her strength until the end of the story

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

One of the main themes of A Walk in the Sun is how grief can change us! Our outlook on life, our plans, our wants even, up to a point, our needs. After Rose's mother passed away, her father became a shell of his former self, and the only person left to take care of the ranch, the animals and the ho
bubbles
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5
Bodhi is admirable for being brave enough to leave his home and travel around finding work at farms.
liked the ending, that Rose decided to leave for adventure in the end.
Jamieson
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rose Darrow is lost.

After her mother passes away, the running of the family farm falls to her. Her father, John Darrow, is just too grief stricken to do much of anything except exist in a cloud of depression. So the running of the farm falls on her shoulders. She spends every waking moment tending the cattle, working the crops and what little time is left over is devoted to school. Her graduation is coming up.

Normally a source for excitement, Rose doesn’t feel any joy at all. Her life had been
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Pushing Perfect
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • Girl Against the Universe
  • Sing
Michelle Zink is author of the Prophecy of the Sisters trilogy, A Temptation of Angels, and This Wicked Game. Her next book, Lies I Told, releases Spring 2015.

Learn more on Michelle's blog at www.michellezink.com.

More about Michelle Zink

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)