Start by marking “Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga, #1)

Queen of Hearts

(Queen of Hearts Saga #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  7,752 ratings  ·  1,504 reviews
Only queens with hearts can bleed.

This is not the story of the Wonderland we know. Alice has not fallen down a rabbit hole. There is no all-knowing cat with a taunting smile. This is a Wonderland where beneath each smile lies a secret, each tart comes with a demand, and only prisoners tell the truth.

Dinah is the princess who will one day reign over Wonderland. She has not
Published May 3rd 2016 by HarperTeen (first published February 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Hearts, please sign up.
Colleen Oakes There are a few minor differences, including 10 pages cut from the beginning and an epilogue that was not in the first edition, published in 2014. In …moreThere are a few minor differences, including 10 pages cut from the beginning and an epilogue that was not in the first edition, published in 2014. In my opinion, this is a leaner, meaner, better Queen. (less)

·  7,752 ratings  ·  1,504 reviews

Start your review of Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga, #1)
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy, retellings
3.5/3.75ish

As a lover of Alice in Wonderland, I think me enjoying this at least a little bit was inevitable. But, I loved how this book reinvented the world of Wonderland. It took elements from the original series and used them in very unique ways. As opposed to other Alice retellings I read, this one very much focused on the political aspect which was interesting. It also highlighted the darkness and brutality of Wonderland. I will say I found this dragged quite a bit, the plot took quite a whi
High Lady of The Night Court
"I am the Queen of Hearts, born to sit on one of two Heart thrones. I am the Queen of Wonderland and I will have the crown that my brother made for me.”

No matter what path this retelling takes, I feel like it maintains the integrity of Alice in Wonderland. No matter what happens the fundamental characteristics of the Queen of Hearts are seen throughout the story. While the original by Lewis Carrol focuses on Alice’s journey many forget that Wonderland must have a past that goes way farther b
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Listen to me, Dinah,” he hissed. “Things are going to change for you, child, and you had better be made of stronger stuff than the whiny brat you seem to be now.”
Nope. Didn't happen.

I feel like this book pulled a bait-and-switch on me, and I am so incredibly frustrated right now. It promised me excitement, it intriguingly hinted at things that it never delivered. It wasn't a truly terrible book, but it was a short book, and honestly, I wished it were twice as long because nothing was ever r
megs_bookrack
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars**

I listened to the audiobook of Queen of Hearts to complete some challenges for Retellathon 2018.

This book hadn't even been on my radar, but I needed an audiobook to get through the week and SCRIBD had this one available.

I'll be honest, I didn't have the highest expectations going in. I didn't read any of the reviews, but having never really heard anyone discussing this story, I thought maybe it would be a flop.

Boy, was I wrong!

An origin story for the Queen of Hearts was something
Natalie Monroe
"I can't explain it, but I need to find her. Faina. This note wasn't sent in malice, I can feel it."

One of my pet peeves in books is when a character makes decisions based on a feeling. Either it goes well, which makes it look like a deux ex machina. Or it goes horribly wrong, making said character look like an idiot.

Guess what happens to Diane. Go on, guess.

Diane is... you know, I don't quite have the words for her. She's bratty. Childish. Insipid. During the climax, when everything goes to s
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This was more like 3.5 stars from me:which is good.

Dinah is a teenage future Queen of Hearts in Wonderland. She is not that horrible character from Disney/Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. At least not yet. Dinah was a strong female character. She has spunk and is feisty. She has a big heart and it hurts her to see how her father (the asshole) rules Wonderland. He is abusive both physically and mentally to her character.
 photo queen_of_hearts_by_angeloffallingstars-d3efgeo_zps29e7a5a2.jpg
She looks out after her servants and her Mad brother Charles aka the
Alaina
OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK SO FREAKING MUCH!

I didn't even bother looking at the reviews for this book because I wanted to read it so badly. I just didn't care if the whole world hated or loved this book - I wanted to read it and that's all that mattered to me.

Queen of Hearts is obviously a retelling but it made me like the Queen of Hearts so freaking much. Dinah, who is the MC and the future queen, is basically treated lower than dirt by her father. Speaking of the King Douche, I hate his guts so fr
Katie.dorny
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Well this was a disappointment. Up until literally the last chapter.
Dinah is one hell of a spoiled brat and sadly our main character. I don’t have time for her bullshit - she’s future queen but incredibly ignorant and self centred. Oh what a journey we’re gonna go on together.
Vittoire arrives on the doorstep as her long lost sister - but all is not as it seems. That is interesting and if I read the second book I hope that is explored more as it sounds a hell of a more interesting back story tha
rachel ☾
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling, 1-star, fantasy
I did not expect to dislike Queen of Hearts so strongly but my God, this book was awful. My battle to make my way through the entirety of this story tested every nerve in my body. For a short book, it was a long and difficult trek from start to finish. I disliked the characters, the writing, the plot. It was a story which took all of the amazing things about the original Alice in Wonderland and introduced them to typical YA tropes… and you can imagine just how that turned out.

Dinah was an immatu
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
I was just so disappointed by this book, it was so meh.

THE PLOT
description
This was probably my main issue. Nothing interesting happened. It was all so cliche, and even the deviations from the original Alice in Wonderland story felt boring & predictable.

ALICE was dumber than this:
description
(Who just randomly eats stuff?? I am still not over this stupidity). I think her name was Dinah or something weird in this book, but she had no unique or interesting qualities whatsoever, making it quite boring.

There was just nothi
Sarah Elizabeth
“She’ll wear a crown to keep her head!”

This was a YA fantasy story set in Wonderland.

Dinah was quite a strong-willed character, although she maybe could have been a bit smarter. The way she went around talking about her half-sister and the King was pretty bad, and she was lucky that nobody important ever overheard her.

The storyline in this took quite a while to get going, and it wasn’t until right at the end that things actually got exciting. The trip to the towers was a bit of a was
Alyssa

Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Queen Of Hearts is a retelling of Alice In Wonderland and overall, it was a quick and enjoyable read and the elements from Alice In Wonderland were still present.

What I Liked :

- The world building was amazing and it was very descriptive!
- It was a very quick and short read, so if you're in a reading slump, definitely pick this book up
- The King's character ( Dinah's father ). His character was well crafted and the way he is portrayed as an " evil king " is on point.

What I Did Not Like :

- The m
Rose
Initial reaction: This book rocked, I loved the establishment of the characters and setting in this interesting tale in the vein of Alice in Wonderland. Dinah is a very flawed but very well developed character and I'll admit I followed her very well throughout this narrative, alongside the rest of the colorful (and some admittedly creepy) cast of characters.

Full review:

I debated a little while with my rating for this book, and decided "Whatever, this gets a solid 4.5 stars from me," with the ext
Aentee
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
So painful. The one lone star is for the pretty cover art.
Rapunzel
OKAY DAMN HELL I WROTE THIS REVIEW AND THEN ACCIDENTALLY CLOSED THE TAB FML.

description

Will rewrite later, let me simmer in the emotional pain of having a thousand words disappear before your eyes. Many tears were shed.

Regardless, I've rewritten my review, albeit it's a bit shorter and more concise considering how difficult it is to summon motivation when repeating work.

** edit: start

3 stars

Anyway here we go!

First, let me just say how much I love the concept. Queen of Hearts is traditionally one of
Zoe Stewart (Zoe's All Booked)
3.5/5

I think I liked this more the last time I read it. The first time I was quite bored the whole time (and annoyed with Dinah), the second time I enjoyed it more, but this third time I was really annoyed with Dinah again. I did like looking back on some of the things leading up to twists in the second one, but I'm honestly pretty glad that I have the third one now and I have no reason to reread these again. I enjoyed it, but I can't see myself picking up this series again after I'm finished.
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
Going into Queen of Hearts, I had high expectations. There is so much potential, so much to work with if you're writing an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I was especially excited because it was from the POV of the Queen of Hearts herself, and I was expecting a badass female character that rivaled Cersei Lannister. I also expected quirky side characters and a really colorful plot. Alas, I didn't get any of these things. In fact, I spent most of the book waiting for something to happen.

And nothing
Stacee
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I love all things Wonderland, so I was excited to see an origin story of sorts on the Queen. Especially since we all know what sort of queen she turns out to be.

Dinah is an interesting enough character. She's a bit more whiny than I expected her to be; however, by the end there is a bit of growth and a hint of the formidable ruler she will be. We got hints of a lot of the other characters. To me, it didn't seem like we really got to know any of them. Perhaps it was a way to show how ostracized D
Caffeinated Fae
I have wanted to read Queen of Hearts ever since I knew of its existence. When I saw that Colleen Oakes was going to be at Denver Pop Culture Con, I knew now was the time to finally pick up my dusty book and give it a read. I was already reading a physical book, so I opted to listen to the book instead and spent an audible credit on Queen of Hearts. The narrator was genuinely excellent and brought the book to life.

Something that I loved about this book was that we got to read an origin story fo
✨ Kaira ✨
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
•fast-paced but boring.

•characters were interesting but not that characters you’ll somehow get obsessed to.

•the romance was somewhere between yay and nah. There were times in where they have connections but most of the time, zero!

•plot was okay...bearable, I guess.

•this is a type of novel in where after you finished reading it, you’ll read another different book immediately. In short, this novel failed to give me book hangover.

•the climax and the ending felt like a rising action.

•the novel
Hadas Tsury
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book, because of a review I read here and it was absolutely fantastic!
Susana
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Arc provided by SparkPress (a Book Sparks imprint) through Netgalley

A very promising beginning to a very addictive series featuring Dinah, the future Queen of Hearts, immortalized by Lewis Carroll imagination, in Alice in Wonderland.

What can i say about this book without giving any sort of spoilers?

This is the story of a princess, who doesn't live a fairy tale. She lives in a fairy tale scenario. But her life mostly resembles a nightmare.

This is the story of the princess destine
Amber J
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and up
I didn't know if I would enjoy this or not. While I generally do like retellings this one was iffy from the beginning. It was surprisingly delightful. It held my interest throughout and I am very eager to read more.
Paul
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this enough to check out the second book in the trilogy blood of wonderland
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

Full review here: https://bookidote.wordpress.com/2016/...

Amazing retelling of the Queen of hearts story! I enjoyed this book so much because the Alice in Wonderland references were on point ! The author plays on words and pictures and it was perfect! However, a lot of plotholes and questions are left.. Definetely looking toward the sequel!

Trang-Book Blogger and Book reviewer
Drewthereader20
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great read! I started this on Thursday last week. And finished it today! It was really good. Probally a favorite read I have read so far. This was my first book by the author and I really enjoyed it. That's all I can say!(:
Hayley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I devoured this
RTC
Danielle N
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Queen of Hearts is one of those titles that I really cannot explain why I have not read it sooner. Every time I come across the beautiful cover and wonderland themed retelling, I am intrigued. This book promises everything I could want within a title. It is a retelling, it is centered upon the characters of Wonderland, and it comes in a gorgeous package. And after having read Seas (Wendy Darling Vol 2) I know that I connect well with the author’s writing. So how did this anticipated read fare fo ...more
Raven
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I hated it. HATED how contrived it seemed and how typical. I felt like I'd read this story 1000 times before. But then? Something changed around the third chapter and I suddenly couldn't put it down. There were changes and developments and the plot took turns I wasn't expecting. I was concerned and felt for the characters! I really loved this book, and I CANNOT wait for the second one!

• Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Heartless
  • Stepsister
  • Splintered (Splintered, #1)
  • Straight On Till Morning
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • Reign of Shadows (Reign of Shadows, #1)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • A Whisper of Wolves (Guardians of the Wild, #1)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Ensnared (Splintered, #3)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Everland (Everland, #1)
Colleen Oakes is the bestselling author of books for both teens and adults, including The Black Coats, Queen of Hearts Series, and The Wendy Darling Saga. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling or immersing herself in nerdy pop culture.

She currently at work on her third YA fairytale series, a YA thriller

Queen of Hearts Saga (3 books)
  • Blood of Wonderland (Queen of Hearts Saga, #2)
  • War of the Cards (Queen of Hearts #3)