Start by marking “Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga, #1)

Queen of Hearts (Queen of Hearts Saga #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  5,432 Ratings  ·  1,165 Reviews
Only queens with hearts can bleed.

This is not the story of the Wonderland we know. Alice has not fallen down a rabbit hole. There is no all-knowing cat with a taunting smile. This is a Wonderland where beneath each smile lies a secret, each tart comes with a demand, and only prisoners tell the truth.

Dinah is the princess who will one day reign over Wonderland. She has not
Published May 3rd 2016 by HarperTeen (first published February 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Hearts, please sign up.
Colleen Oakes There are a few minor differences, including 10 pages cut from the beginning and an epilogue that was not in the first edition, published in 2014. In…moreThere are a few minor differences, including 10 pages cut from the beginning and an epilogue that was not in the first edition, published in 2014. In my opinion, this is a leaner, meaner, better Queen. (less)

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fantasy, retellings
3.5/3.75ish

As a lover of Alice in Wonderland, I think me enjoying this at least a little bit was inevitable. But, I loved how this book reinvented the world of Wonderland. It took elements from the original series and used them in very unique ways. As opposed to other Alice retellings I read, this one very much focused on the political aspect which was interesting. It also highlighted the darkness and brutality of Wonderland. I will say I found this dragged quite a bit, the plot took quite a whi
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Listen to me, Dinah,” he hissed. “Things are going to change for you, child, and you had better be made of stronger stuff than the whiny brat you seem to be now.”
Nope. Didn't happen.

I feel like this book pulled a bait-and-switch on me, and I am so incredibly frustrated right now. It promised me excitement, it intriguingly hinted at things that it never delivered. It wasn't a truly terrible book, but it was a short book, and honestly, I wished it were twice as long because nothing was ever res
megs_bookrack
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this so much - I would actually give it a 4.5-star rating!

I listened to the audio to complete some challenges for Retellathon. This book hadn't even been on my radar (and I LOVE retellings) but I needed an audiobook to get through the week and SCRIBD had this one. After seeing that the overall Goodreads rating was only around a 3.6, I didn't have the highest expectations going in. I didn't read any of the reviews in advance, so I have no idea what the issues are with this one after lis
Cait • A Page with a View
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I absolutely love retellings and this is one of the best Wonderland ones I've found! I really liked this for the most part and thought it was an imaginative, promising start to a series.

It's the story of the Queen of Hearts as a teen, so Dinah's still a princess. The way that all the familiar characters are woven in is so great: the Cards are different orders of soldiers, the White Rabbit is her caretaker, the future White Queen is her half sister, the Mad Hatter is her beloved brothe
Natalie Monroe
"I can't explain it, but I need to find her. Faina. This note wasn't sent in malice, I can feel it."

One of my pet peeves in books is when a character makes decisions based on a feeling. Either it goes well, which makes it look like a deux ex machina. Or it goes horribly wrong, making said character look like an idiot.

Guess what happens to Diane. Go on, guess.

Diane is... you know, I don't quite have the words for her. She's bratty. Childish. Insipid. During the climax, when everything goes to s
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This was more like 3.5 stars from me:which is good.

Dinah is a teenage future Queen of Hearts in Wonderland. She is not that horrible character from Disney/Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. At least not yet. Dinah was a strong female character. She has spunk and is feisty. She has a big heart and it hurts her to see how her father (the asshole) rules Wonderland. He is abusive both physically and mentally to her character.
 photo queen_of_hearts_by_angeloffallingstars-d3efgeo_zps29e7a5a2.jpg
She looks out after her servants and her Mad brother Charles aka the Ma
Katie.dorny
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
Well this was a disappointment. Up until literally the last chapter.
Dinah is one hell of a spoiled brat and sadly our main character. I don’t have time for her bullshit - she’s future queen but incredibly ignorant and self centred. Oh what a journey we’re gonna go on together.
Vittoire arrives on the doorstep as her long lost sister - but all is not as it seems. That is interesting and if I read the second book I hope that is explored more as it sounds a hell of a more interesting back story tha
Alaina Meserole
OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK SO FREAKING MUCH!

I didn't even bother looking at the reviews for this book because I wanted to read it so badly. I just didn't care if the whole world hated or loved this book - I wanted to read it and that's all that mattered to me.

Queen of Hearts is obviously a retelling but it made me like the Queen of Hearts so freaking much. Dinah, who is the MC and the future queen, is basically treated lower than dirt by her father. Speaking of the King Douche, I hate his guts so fr
rachel • typed truths
I did not expect to dislike Queen of Hearts so strongly but my God, this book was awful. My battle to make my way through the entirety of this story tested every nerve in my body. For a short book, it was a long and difficult trek from start to finish. I disliked the characters, the writing, the plot. It was a story which took all of the amazing things about the original Alice in Wonderland and introduced them to typical YA tropes… and you can imagine just how that turned out.

Dinah was an immatu
“She’ll wear a crown to keep her head!”

This was a YA fantasy story set in Wonderland.

Dinah was quite a strong-willed character, although she maybe could have been a bit smarter. The way she went around talking about her half-sister and the King was pretty bad, and she was lucky that nobody important ever overheard her.

The storyline in this took quite a while to get going, and it wasn’t until right at the end that things actually got exciting. The trip to the towers was a bit of a waste of ti
Alyssa

Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

As Princess of Wonderland Palace and the future Queen of Hearts, Dinah’s days are an endless monotony of tea, tarts, and a stream of vicious humiliations at the hands of her father, the King of Hearts. The only highlight of her days is visiting Wardley, her childhood
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
Queen Of Hearts is a retelling of Alice In Wonderland and overall, it was a quick and enjoyable read and the elements from Alice In Wonderland were still present.

What I Liked :

- The world building was amazing and it was very descriptive!
- It was a very quick and short read, so if you're in a reading slump, definitely pick this book up
- The King's character ( Dinah's father ). His character was well crafted and the way he is portrayed as an " evil king " is on point.

What I Did Not Like :

- The m
Rose
Initial reaction: This book rocked, I loved the establishment of the characters and setting in this interesting tale in the vein of Alice in Wonderland. Dinah is a very flawed but very well developed character and I'll admit I followed her very well throughout this narrative, alongside the rest of the colorful (and some admittedly creepy) cast of characters.

Full review:

I debated a little while with my rating for this book, and decided "Whatever, this gets a solid 4.5 stars from me," with the ext
Rapunzel
OKAY DAMN HELL I WROTE THIS REVIEW AND THEN ACCIDENTALLY CLOSED THE TAB FML.

description

Will rewrite later, let me simmer in the emotional pain of having a thousand words disappear before your eyes. Many tears were shed.

Regardless, I've rewritten my review, albeit it's a bit shorter and more concise considering how difficult it is to summon motivation when repeating work.

** edit: start

3 stars

Anyway here we go!

First, let me just say how much I love the concept. Queen of Hearts is traditionally one of th
Zoe Wilson (yerabooknerdzoe)
3.5/5

I think I liked this more the last time I read it. The first time I was quite bored the whole time (and annoyed with Dinah), the second time I enjoyed it more, but this third time I was really annoyed with Dinah again. I did like looking back on some of the things leading up to twists in the second one, but I'm honestly pretty glad that I have the third one now and I have no reason to reread these again. I enjoyed it, but I can't see myself picking up this series again after I'm finished.
Stacee
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I love all things Wonderland, so I was excited to see an origin story of sorts on the Queen. Especially since we all know what sort of queen she turns out to be.

Dinah is an interesting enough character. She's a bit more whiny than I expected her to be; however, by the end there is a bit of growth and a hint of the formidable ruler she will be. We got hints of a lot of the other characters. To me, it didn't seem like we really got to know any of them. Perhaps it was a way to show how ostracized D
Aentee
Jun 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
So painful. The one lone star is for the pretty cover art.
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
Going into Queen of Hearts, I had high expectations. There is so much potential, so much to work with if you're writing an Alice in Wonderland retelling. I was especially excited because it was from the POV of the Queen of Hearts herself, and I was expecting a badass female character that rivaled Cersei Lannister. I also expected quirky side characters and a really colorful plot. Alas, I didn't get any of these things. In fact, I spent most of the book waiting for something to happen.

And nothing
✨ Kaira ✨
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
•fast-paced but boring.

•characters were interesting but not that characters you’ll somehow get obsessed to.

•the romance was somewhere between yay and nah. There were times in where they have connections but most of the time, zero!

•plot was okay...bearable, I guess.

•this is a type of novel in where after you finished reading it, you’ll read another different book immediately. In short, this novel failed to give me book hangover.

•the climax and the ending felt like a rising action.

•the novel
Susana
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Arc provided by SparkPress (a Book Sparks imprint) through Netgalley

A very promising beginning to a very addictive series featuring Dinah, the future Queen of Hearts, immortalized by Lewis Carroll imagination, in Alice in Wonderland.

What can i say about this book without giving any sort of spoilers?

This is the story of a princess, who doesn't live a fairy tale. She lives in a fairy tale scenario. But her life mostly resembles a nightmare.

This is the story of the princess destined to be
Paul
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this enough to check out the second book in the trilogy blood of wonderland
Trang Tran (Bookidote)
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
description

Full review here: https://bookidote.wordpress.com/2016/...

Amazing retelling of the Queen of hearts story! I enjoyed this book so much because the Alice in Wonderland references were on point ! The author plays on words and pictures and it was perfect! However, a lot of plotholes and questions are left.. Definetely looking toward the sequel!

Trang-Book Blogger and Book reviewer
Books, Vertigo and Tea (Danielle)
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
Queen of Hearts is one of those titles that I really cannot explain why I have not read it sooner. Every time I come across the beautiful cover and wonderland themed retelling, I am intrigued. This book promises everything I could want within a title. It is a retelling, it is centered upon the characters of Wonderland, and it comes in a gorgeous package. And after having read Seas (Wendy Darling Vol 2) I know that I connect well with the author’s writing. So how did this anticipated read fare fo ...more
Raven
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started this book, I hated it. HATED how contrived it seemed and how typical. I felt like I'd read this story 1000 times before. But then? Something changed around the third chapter and I suddenly couldn't put it down. There were changes and developments and the plot took turns I wasn't expecting. I was concerned and felt for the characters! I really loved this book, and I CANNOT wait for the second one!
J A D E 🏳️‍🌈
I LOVE THIS BOOK
When I started this book, I had no idea what to expect. I went into this book only knowing that it's taken elements from the Lewis Carroll classic Alice In Wonderland!
This was such a good retelling, it was so beautifully written and parts of the Alice In Wonderland story were so perfectly placed in this book. I absolutely adore Alice In Wonderland so naturally I'd be quite critical, but this is such a good book!
Dinah is the Princess of Wonderland and soon to be queen, and sh
Holly
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I really enjoyed this re-telling of Alice in Wonderland. It show's how the Queen came to be how she is: mean. The way she was treated, I can't say I blame her! Not a lot happens in this book. We watch as the princess grows up a little, we watch as her father belittles her, we see her love, and we watch as the world she knows comes crumbling down. The end really picks up and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

Tann Medi
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Me encanto ❤ el estilo de la autora es único!
Anhelando la segunda parte pronto, el final me dejo mal! Necesito saber qué va a pasar :o
Alexis  (TheSlothReader)
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
possibly 2.5
RTC

Audiobook read by Moira Quirk
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to BookSparks and Netgalley.)
15-year-old Dinah is heir to the Wonderland throne, and will soon rise to rule alongside her widowed father. She is shocked however when her father introduces the kingdom to his illegitimate daughter Vittiore, and takes an instant dislike to the girl she is supposed to call sister.
Things are not as they seem in the kingdom though, and soon Dinah will realise just how desperate
Neus
Reseña completa en La Coneja de Papel :)

Los retellings de Alicia son mi guilty pleasure particular. Además, hay dos cosas sobre las que me encanta leer: la realeza y la historia de cómo los malos se vuelven malos. En este caso, tenemos a la famosa Reina de Corazones, temida en todos los confines del País de la Maravillas por su afición a coleccionar las cabezas de sus enemigos. Sin embargo, cuando sólo era la Princesa, no daba tanto miedo. Es más, diría que da incluso un poquito de pena, ¡la pob
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • Legend of Me
  • Once Upon a Dream (Twisted Tales #2)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • The Mirk and Midnight Hour
  • Crown of Ice  (The Mirror of Immortality, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
  • The Stepsister's Tale
  • Spindle (A Thousand Nights, #2)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Never Never
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Mistress of the Wind
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
Colleen Oakes is the bestselling author of books for both teens and adults, including The Queen of Hearts Series, The Wendy Darling Saga and the upcoming YA novel The Black Coats. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son and surrounds herself with the most lovely family and friends imaginable. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling or immersing h ...more
More about Colleen Oakes

Queen of Hearts Saga (3 books)
  • Blood of Wonderland (Queen of Hearts Saga, #2)
  • War of the Cards (Queen of Hearts #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“She was learning as quickly that what was right and what must happen weren't always the same thing.” 13 likes
“My fight to live does not begin now. I have been fighting all my life, I just didn't know it.” 12 likes