Start by marking “Wishing Day (Wishing Day #1)” as Want to Read:
Wishing Day (Wishing Day #1)

Wishing Day

(Wishing Day #1)

On the third night of the third month after a girl’s thirteenth birthday, every girl in the town of Willow Hill makes three wishes.

The first wish is an impossible wish.
The second is a wish she can make come true herself.
And the third is the deepest wish of her secret heart.

Natasha is the oldest child in a family steeped in magic, though she’s not sure she believes in it. S
Published May 3rd 2016 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Wishing Day, please sign up.
Val Lounsbury
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Wishing Day (Wishing Day #1)
BJ  Brown
Mar 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: middle-grade
Wishing Day doesn't seem to know who it is, what it wants, or how to go about getting there. Is it a family issues book about why mom disappeared? A tween romance? Fantasy? Magical realism? Elements of each appear and disappear throughout the story as it moves jerkily along to its setup for a sequel. Curious, though, about what the target audience will think. . .
Christy Bailleul
After her 13th birthday, a young girl will walk up a hill to a weeping willow tree and make three wishes. The first will be an impossible wish. The second will be one she can make come true for herself. The third will be one from the depths of her heart.

Wishing Day was the current mother/daughter read in our house. After finishing The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (about a girl looking to solve the mystery of her missing father), my daughter picked this book up. We didn’t realize that it was goi
Jasmine
WHAT WAS THAT ENDING? WHAT. WAS. THAT. ENDING?!? IT WAS NARRATIVELY BUILDING TOWARDS A PLACE OF CLOSURE AND THEN IT ANSWERED NOOOOTHHHHINNNNNNNG AND MADE WHAT HAD APPEARED TO BE CLEAR MURKY!

Beautiful prose and character writing and the audiobook narrator was incredible.

I AM NEVER READING ANYTHING DESCRIBED AS MAGICAL REALISM AGAIN.
Amber
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Natasha has just turned 13 and on her wishing day she goes to Willow hill to make three wishes. She wishes to feel special, get kissed, and to get her mom back who has disappeared. What will she do when weird things begin to happen and her wishes come true? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read about being careful what you wish for. There is tons of fantasy in it and is a very heart-warming YA tale about family. If you like stories like these, then be sure to check this b
Jenni
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
I won an Advanced Reader's Edition of this book through a Goodread's giveaway. There were a few typos in this copy, but I wasn't really concerned about them since I knew it was an advance copy. I was upset by how choppy the book felt. It's in third person, but it almost seams to be following 'stream of consciousness' half of the time. The rest of the time things seem to have an actual order to them. I also felt like there were too many things left unanswered at the end. Questions were asked, but ...more
Hazel
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
To make a long story short, this book was b.o.r.i.n.g. B O R I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Melissa T
I was looking for kids books at the library a few weeks ago, and happened upon this series by chance. The covers looked good so I decided to get them.

I liked the background of the story, and the relationship between the sisters, Natasha, Darya and Ava.
The fact that their names all end in A (as do the aunts/mom) reminded me of my own sisters, whose names also end in 'a' so you could never tell who was actually being called for when our parents called us from the other end of the house.

The fact th
Sandra
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
There is nothing I hate more than a book without an ending. Even though I realised this story wasn't for me partway though, I kept chugging away as I enjoyed the characters and wanted to know the answer to the mystery around which the tale is centred. I was therefore infuriated when I reached the last page to find there wasn't an ending! The whole book leads towards understanding one plot point, and to be left hanging and without answers was so frustrating.

Unfortunately, the book also had other
N.N. Light
I loved the premise of this book but unfortunately, I was really disappointed. The plot and POV was choppy and I had a hard time sticking with the story. Jarring would be a better description.

My Rating: 2 stars
Michelle
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Just couldn't get into it like I had hoped. Wasn't connecting with the characters and the story just wasn't working for me.
Julie Suzanne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I accidentally listened to the audiobook version of this book thinking that it was Wishtree by Applegate. What a terrible mistake. I'm so sorry to rip this apart as much as I'm about to, but it was truly awful. I couldn't relate to the characters, any of them, but I thought that perhaps a child with siblings could. Natasha, a girl with the mind of a writer, is curious about nothing, and allows herself to not have any idea why her mother "disappeared." No one talks about it, and she's not sure if ...more
Allie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I feel very fortunate to have received an ARC of "Wishing Day" by Lauren Myracle, the first book in this series. This is the perfect little novel for a young girl to read, especially one between the ages of 9-12. The story contains magic, sisters, friendships, crushes, and mystery. I found the whole family mystery aspect to be the most fascinating part of this novel- what happened to Natasha's mom? Who is Emily? What happens next? I was surprised by how anxious I was to know how the story progre ...more
katayoun Masoodi
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: don-t-own
and i could give it even a 2, or if i had the next book then maybe a 4? cause this really finishes in mid sentence or so it seems, i am really not sure if it did finish or not, cause i am not sure if this was fantasy book or not!!
so while i liked the writing and the people, not sure if i know what the story is! something about depression or something about magic? real or fantasy or if it wanted the reader to get involved that i also couldn't figure out!!! :)
so a bit confusing and really aggrav
Liza Nahas
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I found the first part of this book a bit confusing, and it almost seemed over-my-head. Then I reminded myself that it's written for kids in elementary & middle school and I dug in to tackle it. About half way through it begins to pick up pace and finally come together in a cohesive story. And, when I was then fully entranced, it ended abruptly! I have so many unanswered questions, but I'm not sure that I'll want to take on a book #2. ...more
Stefanie
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm left with feelings of utmost annoyance. The non-ending should have been 2/3 through book, then an actual conclusion to follow. The fantasy aspects of this book were so uneven, that to package this as fantasy or magic or magical realism.... just no. I might skim the sequel to see if answers are provided, MAYBE.
Shelley
Jan 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Tedious and not at all satisfying. I liked the idea of the book, but it was moderately obnoxious. Perhaps a tween girl would not find it so. I'm irritated by the ending. I suppose this is meant to be a series, but there is not any resolution in this book at all and I'll never read the others.
Melanie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, the magic, the magic, the magic. It practically glitters on the page. And combined with such heavy doses of reality. It makes me wish for magic and secret notes and sisters and birds' eggs. So very taken by this book disguised as a middle grade story.
B
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
The only thing I wish- is that I didn't read the book. Ugh
There could have been so much more about Natasha and her family, their history etc..
This just seemed very light.
KylaRodas
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a magical book! I love it so much. It was full of mystery. Now I can't wait to read book two!
Alexandra
i love this story and i love that it's two parts magic and women and darkness and sisters and one part middle school slice of life
Eleanor
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was very good. My mom found it on the Bard magazine when I was 10. Bard is digital books for blind people. I started reading it and really enjoyed it. Even though the book was supposed to be for kids my age, I still felt like the ending was a little too old for me. It was almost right, but not quite. I finished the book because I was curious what happened. It wasn’t that bad. It was just a little intense.
No, however, I really like it. It’s about A girl whose mother went missing. On the
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a really great story about a girl in a special town. It’s a young adult novel that is part of a trilogy. Natasha lives in Willow Hill, where every girl, when they turn 13, gets to make three wishes - The first wish is an impossible wish. The second is a wish she can make come true herself. And the third is the deepest wish of her secret heart. Natasha is a typical 13 year old girl, but she lives in a world with magic and wishes that can come true. There is a good mystery and the characte ...more
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book to preview it for our school library.

It is a cute story. My main issue is that the main character is 13, but the story's voice is that of a much younger girl - maybe 9 or 10. Meaning, I think a 13 year old would find it too immature. Yet, there are two things in the book that I think some parents might think are a little too mature to mention in a book for younger kids: 1) the suggestion that the MC's mom ran off with another man and 2) a 12 year old telling an adult to "Lay of
Krisi
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Just discovered this is merely book #1 of a trilogy and boy does that aid my review! I was drawn in, then honestly got a bit bored, then got drawn back in believing I'd discover the secret of Emily and the mom's whereabouts by the books end...but when it ended leaving me with far more questions than answers, I flipped my review in my mind. Luckily on here I discovered the info about the trilogy, which honestly would've been nice to know from the book somehow. I cannot yet tell you if this book i ...more
Leah
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book Wishing Day by Lauren Myracle is about a girl named Natasha who's been waiting for her 13th birthday. Whenever a girl in the town of Willow Hill turns 13, they get to go to a willow tree at the top oh a hill and make 3 wishes. Her first wish is impossible. Her second wish she can make it come true herself. And the third with is her deepest wish from her heart. After her wishes, Natasha's sisters want to know what her wishes were. She won't budge though. Throughout the book, Natasha just ...more
Michelle
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Appropriate for: age 11+

This book intrigued me right away, but it was so so. It came across kind of like Bridge to Terabithia, is there magic or isn't there? Personally, these kinds of books/movies annoy me. There was also middle school humor, which is blech to an adult and I've read plenty of great middle grade books without it.
Tessa Chin
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and could not put it down. But the ending was the best/worst part.
✨Gayatri ✨
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It was pretty good. But not a favorite
Jennifer Mangler
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
I like the idea of this book, but man, was it difficult for me to finish. I just didn't connect to or care about any of the characters.
ck
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
(ARC courtesy HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books via Amazon Vine program)

Parts of this book were charming: The minutia of being an adolescent and of coexisting with school, friends and siblings. The endemic self-doubt and questioning. The coming to grips with reality while retaining a bit of adolescent magical thinking (if wishing could make it so; not referring to the special "wishing" of a girl's Wishing Day).

I'm not sure whether the fuzziness of the story arc are down to this being an advanc
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What Would You do for Your Wishes? 1 4 May 22, 2017 05:30PM
Split personality: Bird lady, mom, and Emily?? 1 4 Jun 30, 2016 08:19PM

• Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)
  • Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)
  • Tricked (Fairy Tale Reform School #3)
  • Wished (Fairy Tale Reform School #5)
  • Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)
  • Cold As Ice (Whatever After #6)
  • Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)
  • Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls (Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls, #1)
  • Storybound (Storybound #1)
  • Finding Serendipity (Tuesday McGillycuddy, #1)
  • All the Answers
  • The Ghost of Graylock
  • The Willoughbys
  • Once Upon a Frog (Whatever After #8)
  • The Unicorn Quest (The Unicorn Quest #1)
  • Beauty Queen (Whatever After, #7)
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures (Pip Bartlett, #1)
  • Story Thieves (Story Thieves #1)
Lauren Myracle is the author of numerous young adult novels. She was born in 1969 in North Carolina. Lauren Myracle holds an MA in English from Colorado State University and an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College. she has written many novels, including the famous IM books, ttyl, ttfn, and l8r, g8r.

Her first novel, Kissing Kate, was selected as one of ALA's "Best Books

Wishing Day (3 books)
  • The Forgetting Spell (Wishing Day #2)
  • The Backward Season (Wishing Day, #3)