Start by marking “Potato Surprise (Brimstone #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Potato Surprise (Brimstone #0.5)

Potato Surprise

(Brimstone 0.5)

Before Ness, before Corny, before Leopold and Heckle and Mac, there was just Shax and Verin and a newly stolen, er, acquired cargo ship. Join Shax on his first adventure in space in which a pampered demon prince has a lot to learn.

When a steel trap of celestial and infernal politics threatens to close around them, Shax and Verin flee Earth’s system in a stolen ship, leavin
ebook, First, 120 pages
Published August 29th 2015 by Mischief Corner Books, LLC (first published August 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Potato Surprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potato Surprise

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Really enjoyed this one! Loved such an awesome trans character. <3, <3
Sheri
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

Or maybe that's what Shax would say?

This story was...out of this world!!!

Loved the writing. Loved the cast. Loved the amusing story. Extremely entertaining!
Think I'm going to need to check out the series...yep.
Hooked.
Fabulous prequel!
Ami
A prequel to Brimstone: Demon Owned & Operated, the story is (basically) about Shax and Verin's first adventure of transporting a valuable, at-risk cargo. See, they might look like potatoes ... but they're not ;-).

It's weird, it's imaginative, and Ivana Cockatoo the AI is as entertaining as ever...
Alison
I absolutely loved this prequel to the Brimstone series. Ms Martinez is one of my favourite authors and she certainly delivered with this one. Brilliant ideas, intriguing plot, and as always in this series, Shax and Verin.

Definitely a must-read.
AliciaJ
The more I read by this author, the more I love her books.
Meep
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: promo-deals, dnf
DNF at 30%

It's light, it's fun, just for some reason didn't hold my attention, no quibbles, just got so far then never picked it up again or had the desire to.

Enjoy.
Sophia
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
I've enjoyed several of the author's ESTO Universe stories so I thought I'd give this series a try. This was so fun that I'm definitely coming back for more.

The world of Brimstone is mostly sci-fi with a dab of paranormal because in this world angels and demons exist wing to horn with humans and other aliens. It's future space adventure with Shax, Demon Prince of Thieves and his childhood friend Ver on the run and exiled from trouble back on earth. The pair of them steal a space ship with a Drag
Aղցela W.
This was a short quick read that I thought was ok. This was a short sci-fi read that was a prequel to a new series too me. The plot was ok and their was a lot of humor in this book. Shax, Demon Prince of Thieves and his childhood friend Ver on the run and exiled from trouble back on earth. The pair of them steal a space ship with a Drag Queen AI and have a few false starts before they work out how things work in the galaxy- space sharks, dubious dealers in information, shady cargo deals, a murky ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Heart Review by Vicki

This could be a little spoilerish, be warned!

What a cool little story! I have read and LOVED the other Brimstone books, but it always felt like we started in the middle of shax’s story, now we get to see the beginning.

Demons Shax and Verin are on the run, and steal a spaceship, really having no idea what to do with it, or where to go. They end up at the back-end of the universe, with no money, no plan, and a limited understanding of their stolen ship. After a bit of an arg
Dee Wy
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. These short sci-fi stories in this series are little gems as far as I'm concerned. This was the sexiest one yet - who knew Shax was such a sexy lover? Cute, hot fun all around. Loved it.
Liz (Bugetta)
This was so much fun! I've really enjoyed the Brimstone series and this prequel tells the story of how Shax and Verin acquired the Brimstone with it's fabulous IA Ms. Ivana. It also tells the tale of their first delivery job. Of course it's not what it seems - gem toned potatoes that aren't actually potatoes and of course it doesn't go as planned.
There is a romance but the lovers aren't meant to be together and that was okay. Normally I need an HEA, but knowing that Shax will meet his true love
Jax
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 4-star, freebie
This was fun! Lighthearted scifi with great characters. I loved the interplay between Shax, Verin and their ship's AI Ivana. Will definitely try the next book.
Melanie
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.com Review

For the full review, visit http://wp.me/p220KL-5zM

from that review, "Angel Martinez' imagination is fearless. Her demons may know other demons that fit within our prescribed notions of what demons should look like and how demons should act, her demons may even be related to demons that act that way. But Shax? He is one surprise after another, loyal, with an endless and often troublesome appreciation for the "pretties", his charm is as boundless as h
Marge
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun book with a Firefly or Millennium Falcon vibe. I look forward to reading the whole series.
Lily
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Another great addition to this entertaining series.
D
Absolutely fascinating!
C.S. Poe
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I wax poetic about Angel Martinez in pretty much every review I write, but honestly I have so much fun with her books I can't help it! Her stories are funny, witty, wacky, and with plenty of heart and honesty at the core of each character. The Brimstone series is a comfort read, and it was technically my first of Martinez's backlist. Luckily for us, another title is releasing soon, so what better time to do a re-read, right?

Before we meet other heroes like Ness and Corny, it was just Shax and Ve
Ana
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Almost as much as I liked the previous instalments. The only thing that it didn’t worked for me was that I missed Ness.

I listen to the audiobook. I have to admit that there’s something about the narration that keep me coming back to the series. It is stunning and I rather listen to it than read it, which is highly unusual in my case.

The plot was nice. I love the humor always present in this series. All the characters were really charming but my favorite, at least this time, was Mis
Lulu
"They don't look well trained at all." "No, Captain. I leave that pleasure to you. That's why the price is so reasonable. You could break them however you please. Or use them for stew, according to your preference." (of three human women)

Story: 9

that was fun!
llv
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars
I liked this story well enough. It is a prequel to the Brimstone series. I have never read any of the other books in the series, but a friend lent me her copy so I decided to give it a try. I really liked Shax. Verin not as much. I think he is character that has to grow on you. The ships AI was just wonderful. All in all, it was a good story. Just not a great one.
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.8 Stars

LOL ridiculously silly, sexy, paranormal, sci-fi fun! So very much original; even if tiny bits of it reminded me of some favorite shows the details were distinctly different enough to have me anxious for more.

Definitely going to read on in the series.
Cornerofmadness
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Evan
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

A good introduction to the Brimstone series. However, the reader is thrown into the story, as Shax and Verin are shown to be escaping from something or someone. Both characters' personalities are revealed through their actions. While Verin did come off as violent and rude, he soon warms up to you. Shax is quite charming and intelligent, and I like that he does not come off as snobby and arrogant despite being a prince. And wow, the scene in the club? Sexy. Definitely made me
Asynia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this book is a prequel to the Brimstone series, it’s written after that series and that kind of shows. I think that I would have liked this book better it I had known a little more about the characters beforehand. This being said, I liked the characters and I loved the world building and I will definitely read at least the first book in the “proper” series.

This book isn’t an M/M romance, it’s more of an adventure Sci-Fi story, and I felt that it’s written to get us to know the characters a
Molly Lolly
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four stars!
I really enjoyed this story. While there was a tiny romantic plotline, it wasn’t really the point of the story. I am a girl believer in endings that are all hearts, flowers, and gem bugs; the ending in Potato Surprise wouldn’t have made sense any other way than what’s here. Shax and Verin got up to some crazy adventures and there were times I wasn’t sure they’d make it out alive! The AI of the ship, Ivana Cockatoo, made for some hysterical scenes. This st
Alison
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-e-things, sff, queer, lgbtq
4.5 stars. So cool! This is a really fun sci-fi adventure and I loved it. It's entertaining and exciting and a good time all around. The whole "free prequel" thing worked because I'm so keen to buy the first book now. These are great characters. Shax is a charming rogue of a starship captain (in the tradition of Malcolm Reynolds and Han Solo) and he's awesome. I am looking forward to reading more of his adventures. Bonus points for the hotshot trans secret agent character. He was really cool and ...more
DeeNeez
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this prequel! It tells how demons Shax and Verin acquired the ship Brimstone, and her lovely drag queen AI. Ms Ivana,the ship's AI is a hoot! She is the quintessential piece of this humorous series of space pirates. (I may never view a potato the same after this.) I've read the first book of the series, and definitely will finish the rest. A must read series for those who love space pirate romps!
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t1, novella, sci-fi
Some fun, some peril, a very sexy scene and a couple surprises...I loved this story about how Shax and Verin got started on their space adventures and how they met Ivana (who rocks) and Julian for the first time. The entire series is wonderful and I hope there will be new additions to come.
Kathleen
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More hilarious adventures for the crew of Brimstone. Thoroughly enjoying this series.

• Prelude to Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #0.5)
  • The Sentinel
  • Skythane (The Oberon Cycle, #1)
  • In Heaven and Earth
  • The Degan Paradox  (Galactic Conspiracies #3)
  • Salvaging Toby's Heart
  • Laser Visions
  • Incursion
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
  • One Breath, One Bullet (The Borders War, #1)
  • Paradox Lost
  • Stranded by Lies
  • Zenith (The Interscission Project, #1)
  • Something New Under the Sun (Falling Sky #2)
  • Bone Rider
  • Opening Worlds (Worlds, #1)
  • Breeding Stations (Alliances #1)
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.

Brimstone (8 books)
  • Hell for the Company (Brimstone, #1)
  • Fear of Frogs (Brimstone, #2)
  • Shax's War (Brimstone #3)
  • Beside A Black Tarn (Brimstone, # 4)
  • The Brimstone Journals: Collection One
  • The Brimstone Journals: Collection Two
  • The Hunt for Red Fluffy (Brimstone, #5)