Start by marking “Duck, Duck, Porcupine! (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)” as Want to Read:
Duck, Duck, Porcupine! (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)

Duck, Duck, Porcupine!

(Duck, Duck, Porcupine!)

Big Duck likes to boss around her younger brother, Little Duck, and she fancies herself the leader of their trio--when joined by their gentle friend Porcupine. Little Duck doesn't speak yet, but through his expressions and his actions, he shows that he has a better grasp on any situation than his older sister. Told entirely through dialogue and visual storytelling with sub ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Duck, Duck, Porcupine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck, Duck, Porcupine!

Matt
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neo and I tackled three more stories about this interesting trio:

1) A Perfect Day for a Picnic
With the sun shining, Big Duck and Porcupine are ready for a lovely picnic. However, Little Duck sees something ominous in the sky. When the skies open and the rain falls, Big Duck and Porcupine run for cover. Little Duck sees the silver lining and can use the rain to make this picnic day fun, no matter what!

2) I Think I Forgot Something!
Big Duck is on a mission... to remember something she's forgot
Kate Buechler
Loved how each story ended with Little Duck staring into the camera.
Franki Sibberson
Love this new series! Perfect for readers of Elephant and Piggie and Ballet Cat:-)
Jason
Oh man, every time little duck stares at the reader at the end of each story I crack up. He never says a word, but he knows what's up.
Lee Ann
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A friend's daughter read this book to me so I'm counting it towards my 2017 reading challenge. :p It has three adorable stories following the lovable characters Big Duck, Little Duck, and Porcupine, and is complete with bright, distinctive artwork. Would recommend.
Josiah
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received my copy of Duck, Duck, Porcupine! free through the Goodreads First Reads program.

It feels obvious to me that this is a book in the grand tradition of Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad, but I suppose it's not so obvious to people who haven't read those books. I suggest that the uninitiated read Arnold Lobel's classic series, the platinum standard to which all easy readers about friendship are held, to get a full appreciation of the way Salina Yoon evokes the same feeling of close, uncondi
Juliana Lee
Two ducks and a porcupine... three best friends! Big Duck has big ideas. Porcupine is fretful. But Little Duck who doesn't have much to say (actually he never speaks) has the common sense to play in the rain, go to the party, and roast the marshmallows. Little Duck doesn't overthink things, love his expressions though.
Kathy
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute early reader. Works as a read aloud or for a young child to read to you. Simple illustrations and humorous text made this a book I enjoyed.
Becky
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
First sentence: This is the perfect day for a picnic, Porcupine!

Premise/plot: Duck, Duck, Porcupine is the first book in a new early reader series starring Big Duck, Little Duck, and Porcupine. There are three short adventures in this one. The first is "A Perfect Day for a Picnic." Little Duck is the first to notice that it will soon be RAINING. But will a little rain--or a lot of rain--spoil the day completely? It may not be a perfect day to EAT outside, but, it may be a perfect day to PLAY ou
Pam Vickers
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Read it today to 20 of my preschoolers and they enjoyed it soooo much! This group can hardly sit through one story, but connected with the characters and as I finished the first story, we're thrilled to hear the other two!
Meghan Hunt
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an ARC. I think beginning readers will love this book. The stories are cute and the illustrations are fun.
Heidi
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every since I discovered the Elephant & Piggie books by Mo Willems, I've been keeping my eyes open for books with similar qualities. Qualities such as delightful, expressive illustrations, short, funny stories, and great characters. I'm delighted to say that I have found such a series in this new series by Salina Yoon. I love the bright, colorful illustrations, they are very eye-catching and appealing. The characters make me smile and even laugh. And I have no doubt that young listeners/read ...more
Kristi Bernard
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Duck, Duck, Porcupine are friends who do lots of fun things together. They plan a picnic but the rain turns their picnic into a puddle splashing event. When Porcupine’s birthday finally arrived, Big Duck had trouble remembering. The three planned a camping trip and Big Duck brought everything including the kitchen sink. Little Duck knew that a camp fire and marshmallows were all they needed.

Young readers will easily recognize the easy words in all three stories. Parents and teachers can have stu
Anna
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Little Duck and the faces the duck makes every time at the end. It's as if it's saying, "Really? Are you kidding me?" at the end of each story chapter. I love how the Little Duck tries to help out, but no one listens to the duck (which is kind of sad) and then near the end of the story the other character figures it out. It's a great book for preschoolers and to ask a lot of questions to the children while you're reading the book. You can ask what's going on, ask questions about ...more
Meg McGregor
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lexi-victoria
There are three stories in this book featuring Duck, Little Duck, and Porcupine!

In the first story, they plan a picnic but it begins to rain! Little Duck helps his friends see how they can turn their picnic into a puddle splashing good time!

In the second story, it was Porcupine's Birthday but Big Duck had trouble remembering. Little Duck just "quacked me up" in this story!

In the third story, they go into the forest for a camp-out! Little Duck shows his friends that all they need is marshmallows
Angela
Good choice for a beginning reader for kids who are ready for their first "chapter books." The brightly colored illustrations and thick, dark lineart are eye-catching and an instant draw. Comparisons to Elephant & Piggie are inevitable because they're both about friends with differing personalities. Ultimately I think Elephant & Piggie's humor is a little more successful (although Porcupine's "kitchen sink" comment still earned a chuckle from me), but this would still be a good pick for ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story. The 3 friends are Big Duck (white duck), Little Duck (yellow duck), and porcupine.

Little Duck doesn't speak, but plays an important role. I think it validates the knowledge and awareness of little ones. Little Duck is more than ready to play in the rain (instead of letting rain ruin a picnic), remember a friend's birthday, and just begin camping (without perfect preparation).

Would be interesting to read one for "Whoever does not enter the Kingdom of God as a little child...."
Jessie
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun set of three stories about three friends. The strength of their friendship and their distinct personalities come through well without being directly addressed.

The characters are very expressive, even Little Duck (who doesn't speak), and with what seems like minimal change in illustrations. It's really well done.
Mary
With brightly colored illustrations and easy to read dialogue, this is part comic book, part chapter book, and part picture book about three engaging characters: Big Duck, Little Duck and Porcupine. Although Little Duck doesn't speak, his body language communicates a great deal. Three chapters of pure fun that will have readers wanting more.
Elizabeth  Chang
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2018, reviews, picture
Simple books, but sooo cute!

You gotta watch the little yellow duck though. He doesn't say much (or anything, really), but he's the smart one who gets things done behind the scenes.
Bianca Orellana
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
These stories are hilarious and adorable. We love Little Duck!
Angela
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
I read this to a group of Kindergarteners and they thought it was so funny. A cute read aloud.
Emily Myhren
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect series for when all the Elephant and Piggie books are exhausted.
Mary
Three short chapters: Three sly little stories: Three friends: You can tell the smart one because on the cover he is looking at you!

First Line: "This is a perfect day for a picnic, Porcupine."
Monica
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good book. I like that it can be used to teach concepts like simple sentences, exclamations, prosody, and predictions. It is also great for introducing chapter books to young readers.
Heidi
Little Duck's levels of sass are wonderful. Such a cute, fun beginning reader.
Liz Todd
Adorable. Early reader graphic novel-ish?
Rachel
Love that each of the characters has a distinct personality that carries through the stories, and Little Duck is so keen even if he never really speaks. All dialoge so has a graphic novel feel.
Stephanie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
perfect stories for an early reader! three short stories with simple text and adorable illustrations!
Katie
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just love Salina Yoon's illustrations! This is a great beginning chapter book for lower level students and I loved the humor in it too.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • Ballet Cat Dance! Dance! Underpants! (Ballet Cat, #2)
  • The Good for Nothing Button (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #3)
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #1)
  • Snail & Worm Again (Snail & Worm, #2)
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories (Learn to Read Books, Chapter Books, Story Books for Kids, Children's Book Series, Children's Friendship Books)
  • Don't Throw It to Mo!
  • I Lost My Tooth! (Unlimited Squirrels)
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly
  • Barkus: Book 1
  • It's Shoe Time! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #4)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
  • What This Story Needs Is a Pig in a Wig
  • There's a Pest in the Garden! (The Giggle Gang, #2)
  • Go, Otto, Go!
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an

Duck, Duck, Porcupine! (3 books)
  • That's My Book! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)
  • My Kite Is Stuck! And Other Stories (Duck, Duck, Porcupine)