Start by marking “Poppy (Poppy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Poppy (Poppy, #1)

Poppy

(Poppy #1)

Set against the backdrop of World War I, this romantic novel is equal parts sweeping and heartbreaking.

England, 1914. Poppy is 15, beautiful, and clever, but society has already carved out her destiny. She will become a servant to the aristocratic de Vere family . . . and bury her feelings for their youngest son, Freddie. He could never marry a girl like her.

But the path f
Published August 30th 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published May 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Poppy, please sign up.
Santhani Rungan I thought this was a great read, it really catches on to how WW1 affected the people at home and the injured soldiers.

Alexa
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
2.75 stars that could have easily become a solid 3 stars, except for one thing.

What is this one thing? Well, let me tell you - I was not a huge fan of the romance in this book. As in, I didn't particularly care for or about it at all. I was not rooting for it, I didn't believe in it, and I actually wish that it either (a) didn't involve a romance or (b) involved a different romance with another character, who I could have rooted for wholeheartedly.

I also wasn't particularly attached to any of th
Miffy
As the 100th anniversary of the First World War approaches there are a significant number of books about the war being published. Over the last 6 months I’ve seen at least a dozen, perhaps more, and there will be more to come, no doubt.

Many of them are stories of the Diggers, the Tommies and the fighting, but, significantly, there are a fair few being published that deal with the changing role of women and girls during this period. Poppy is the story of a young girl, serving the de Vere family a
I love Mary Hooper's writing, no matter what era of history she is introducing readers to you can always tell that she has done her research and she never fails to bring that period to life with her vivid descriptions. She always includes so many tiny little extra snippets of information that it really feels like you've stepped back in time and are walking alongside her main characters. As we are in the centennial anniversary of the start of WWI I was really looking forward to seeing how she wou ...more
Beth Bonini
I don't know if there really is an explosion (pardon the war pun) of 'women in war' novels, or if it's just that I have suddenly become aware of them. At any rate, I certainly welcome the development. Although Mary Hooper's recent World War I duet, Poppy and Poppy in the Field, are not as dazzling as Elizabeth Wein's war novels, they are still solid efforts. Highly readable and wearing their historical 'facts' lightly, they examine war from the hospital bed. In the case of World War I, and the i ...more
Renu
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, duology
Poppy is a touching story about war, friendship, and first love.

Prior to becoming a book blogger I wasn't a big historical fiction reader, but over the last year or so I have been reading more and more books from the genre. I am especially interested in ones that are centered around WW1 and 2. Recent war-related books I have read and thoroughly enjoyed are Prison of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Poppy too has now been added to my list of enjoyable war-relate
Teresa
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-reviewed
Mary Hooper is one of my favourite writers of YA Historical Fiction. She has the knack of combining strong young female characters and realistic historical settings which give readers a strong sense of time and place, whatever their age! Quite a few novels are being released this year to tie in with the centenary of the outbreak of WWI but Poppy would be my standout choice for any young female teens wishing to acquaint themselves with the role of their early 20th century counterparts.

In a relati
Michelle

Poppy was a sweet little novel which really took me by surprise. It’s an interesting insight into the English nurses of the First World War who cared for the soldiers injured so badly they returned home. I feel like I’ve read and watched a lot about both the First and Second World Wars, but Poppy succeeded in presenting a fresh and touching perspective.

Although Poppy is only a short novel, it explored some really interesting and less talked about aspects of the war. There was a large focus on re

Kirsti
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second historical YA novel from Mary Hooper that I have read, and I will admit to being sold on this author. I recognized the author's name before buying, and remembered how I enjoyed The disgrace of Kitty Grey, and knew I would probably enjoy this too. I couldn't guess how much though!

Poor Poppy read as an extremely naive young woman, completely unversed in the arts of love and the complications of society. Granted, she knows her hidden relationship with a man who was once her emplo
Crystal (that.ending.though)
Got to page 54, I was really going to try to push to page 100 because the writing is fine, but the romance is already grating my nerves and nothing has barely happened. I'm not for the whole instant "need to be with someone" story line. :-/
Cass -  Words on Paper
3.5-4/5
[Review to be posted on the blog sometime this week. :P]

I had no idea that this book would have a sequel, but as I was nearing the end I knew there was no way there couldn't have been. May 2015, 'Poppy in the Field'. I know it's going to be an emotional and intense read.

Last week I received a package from Bloomsbury in the mail, containing two books: this was one of them. I hadn't heard anything about it, but 1) I adore good historical fiction; 2) Mary Hooper is quite a well-known staple
Ms. Yingling
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ARC from Baker and Taylor

Poppy is a housemaid for the DeVere family, and when World War I starts affecting England, the family decides to move to a smaller house and let the great manor house be used as a hospital. They let most of the staff go, although Poppy is invited to stay on. After talking to a former teacher, Miss Luttrell, she finds that she can apply to be part of the Voluntary Aid Detachment and learn some nursing skills, and Miss Luttrell will even give her a bit of an allowance, hav
Kali ❥
This is the first book I've read by Mary Hooper and I have to say I did enjoy it. I believe it gave an accurate vision of what war is really like; how it dominates everything while it's going on. I did not like the love story part of the book, however, because it was very shallow and seemed to be almost forced.
I was anxious to see how the story would finish as I got close to the end and things were still going the same! The end was sudden and also felt forced to me, but the war part of the stor
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 39

From what I've read, Poppy's fine. I'm fairly certain it would be a solid, unremarkable three star read that I would probably forget about a few days later. Odds of me liking it any more than that are miniscule, because the writing and characterization are meh and I've read tons of WWI/WWII books with similar events.
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
In vain, I picked this up hoping for an actual good book set in WW1 - which, let me tell you, are hard to find. Why? The girls are always nurses. They always have a sweetheart who is a soldier. AND THEY ARE ALWAYS THE SAME. This one was just too light and silly to really cover the horrific and tragic event that was World War One. I just wish I could find a book that related more with the darkness and dreadfulness of this time.

As I mentioned above, this book was just too...silly. Poppy was j
Peg
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Intelligent but poor, fifteen-year-old Poppy has served for four years as a parlour maid for the upper class deVere family and has caught the eye of their younger son, Freddie. World War I is just beginning and times are changing, including the role of women and the blending of class lines. When her former teacher/mentor offers Poppy a monthly stipend if she joins the Volunteer Aid Detachment (VAD), where she will be trained and then serve as an unpaid junior nurse, Poppy leaps at the chance. Wh ...more
Marcilia "The Plot Bunny"
It's been a long time since I last read a historical fiction novel, and Poppy stuck out to me from a pile of choices. Poppy is written through the point of view of Poppy, who is just 15 years old and about to become a VAD nurse. She is the kind of character that you really grow fond of, she is intelligent, vivid and strong. It was very interesting learning about the war through her eyes, especially when you think about how young she is and everything she is seeing.

This is the first book by the
Grace
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-book
This book is set during World War 1 and follows a British girl named Poppy who became a VAD. VAD stands for Voluntary Aid Detachment which is basically a combination of a nurse without the long training and a maid. Poppy experiences as a VAD as well as with her younger brother who joins the British Army and the man she fell in love with are chronicled throughout the novel.

This book was rather boring. The romance seemed forced and did nothing to further the plot. It would have been a much better
Julie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
Very good. Well written to appeal to the younger generation in order to give them a tasteof what it was like in 1915 Britain and during the World War 1 time.

You can tell as the story carries on what I was taught in History about WW1. When the war began there was great hope that it would be done by Christmas. Men and boys had the war glorified to begin with and then the word spread that actually war isn't good, it isnt good at all! Mental health is at the fore nowadays but not back then. It was
Amy Bradley
Historical fiction - a young parlor maid develops an affection for one of the young men above stairs of a wealthy family who had resisted enlisting to serve in 1915 England. She ends up becoming a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse when the lady of the house announces that other servants will be let go as the family moved into a smaller home, their manor to be converted to a hospital or convalescent home.

Somewhat interesting, romance (of the pining and obsessing type) isn't really my thing. Poppy’s
Julia Wharton
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great piece about World War I. Poppy is a housemaid who is in love with the younger son of her employers. Because of society's expectations, there seems to be no chance of them being together. But with the war, things start to change. Poppy gets a job as a VAD nurse and takes care of wounded British soldiers. It was really great to see Poppy get a job doing something that she loves and that makes a difference. Also, this book reminded me not only of the novel Remembrance but of D ...more
K.Butler
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 There was really interesting WWI history in this book, which is probably why I liked it. There's not a lot of plot and there is a kind of flimsy romance, but what grabbed me was the nitty gritty details of how British society responded to The Great War. Anyone who is a fan of Downton Abbey will see parallels.The ending was not just a cliffhanger, but a full on the-author-just-dropped-that-bomb-and-signed-off. I will definitely have to pick up the next book to find out what happens to Poppy!
Alyssa
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't really care for the romance aspect of it, it was frankly quite boring. However, I loved the setting and the whole idea of women wanting to "do their part" as well. It hadn't occurred to me that 'women in the war' was even a genre, but I'm glad I found it. I liked watching Poppy's character develop from a teenager to a young woman as she left everything behind. Neat book overall.
Annie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It shows a very realistic side of ww1 and she seems like a very genuine and real person that would have been living in 1915. Sometimes I couldn't really identify with the choices she was making but it didn't stop me loving the book. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and a bit of romance. The ending was a little unsatisfying but kept me on my toes for the sequel!
Yasmin AR
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read :) The pacing was just nice and it was really educational to be in the mind of a VAD during the WW1 years. The romance was never convincing in the first place, although it is considerable due to the terrible and pressing situation that the characters were in. Hooper was also really brave to write a storyline exploring a character who didn't believe in fighting the war.
Ann Marie
This was a great book! Historical fiction is my favorite genre and this one delivered. The plot mainly revolved around romance, but once you got into the book it was really about her being a nurse in WWI. It was beautifully written with so many historical facts and information but they tied in seamlessly with the story. Highly recommend!
Charlotte
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, lib17
Sandi Dickenson
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enticed by the medical system of treatment given during WWI. Seen through the eyes of a young women coming of age in a world drastically changed by war. I didn't see this as juvenile writing, suitalbe certainly, but also highly readable by adults intnerested in UK war nursing or military hospitals.
Emily
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Quick read about WWI! I liked all the info about the soldiers, but this book veered into silly with the romantic "relationship"...Basically she goes out to tea and shares a few "looks" with a guy and thinks they have a relationship. But it was a nice change from the WWII books out there.
Emily Michie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
DNF because I didn’t want a fine on my library card! Hoping to come back to it later.
Kym
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

• Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • Loyal Creatures
  • Valentine Joe (Rose #1)
  • The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War
  • Munro vs. the Coyote
  • New Guinea Moon
  • The Door That Led to Where
  • Intruder
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Bridie's Fire
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • That Burning Summer
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • Beneath the Darkening Sky
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule
  • No Limits
  • Goddess
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

British children's and young adult author Mary Hooper was born in 1944, in Barnes, South West London. She left school at fifteen, and went to work as a window dresser, and then as a secretary. She eventually returned to school, as an adult student, earning a degree in English from Reading University. Hooper began

Poppy (2 books)
  • Poppy in the Field (Poppy, #2)