Start by marking “Now Go Out There: (and Get Curious)” as Want to Read:
Now Go Out There: (and Get Curious)

Now Go Out There: (and Get Curious)

A celebration of curiosity, compassion, and the surprising power of fear, based on the New York Times bestselling author and renowned professor’s 2015 commencement address at Syracuse University.

“Being smart and rich are lucky, but being curious & compassionate will save your ass.”

Every year there are one or two commencement speeches that strike a chord with audiences
Published April 5th 2016 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Now Go Out There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now Go Out There

Rebecca
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
There’s not much to this Syracuse University commencement speech. Leftovers of sob-story autobiography and clichéd advice cobbled together. Disappointing given how much I loved Karr’s recent The Art of Memoir. For a truly inspirational graduation address, I recommend David Foster Wallace’s This Is Water.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book version of a commencement speech Mary Karr gave at Syracuse in 2015. Similar to reading This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life by David Foster Wallace, it is slightly tweaked, lightly illustrated, and largely intended for graduation present fare.

I've read a lot of Mary Karr in the last few years, in fact she includes a poem about her son from the most recent book of poetry I read - Sinners Welcome. She makes reference t
Tina
3,5*
Meredith
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
A printing of a commencement speech. Nothing overly new or inspiring.
Debs Erwin
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read as it's edited from a commencement speech delivered by Mary Karr in 2015. One of my favourite quotes is this one: "The loony bin is where I learned that as deep as a wound is, that's how deep the healing can be." It's a pithy, irreverent and heart-some read.
Mac
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Though I'm no fan of commencement speeches, and commencement speech books are often about revenue generation, not enlightenment, nevertheless I wanted to read Now Go Out There because I enjoyed five stars worth of pleasure from Mary Karr's The Art of Memoir. My verdict: Her memoir is still great, but Now Go Out There is not for me. Though the speech's personal revelations are interesting and the advice is good, the structure is too free flowing for my taste.

The speech's personal revelations are
Grace
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love graduation speeches (hello Conan O'Brien, Stephen Colbert, J.K. Rowling, Jim Carrey, and Ali G!) and apparently I'm not the only one, because the one given by Mary Karr, famed memoirist and professor (I read and enjoyed her memoir The Liar's Club many years back) was so good that it was made into a book.

A quick and easy read, Now Go Out There is full of inspirational quotes, heart, and humour. Kind of like Chicken Soup for the Soul, except for eager graduates. Karr shares her wisdom with
Michelle
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is easy to see why Mary Karr's commencement speech to the graduating class at Syracuse University (May 10, 2015) went viral! This is a perfect quick read for anyone that needs insight, inspiration, advice, or a young student looking for answers, or perhaps to realize that there are others in life who overcome tremendous adversity, become educated and avoid doing time in the penitentiary. Karr's poem: "A Blessing From My Sixteen Years' Son" was an added bonus with many good and amusing quotes. ...more
Catherine
When I saw this book on Edelweiss I was attracted by the cover art then when I read the synopsis for it I knew I had to request it because I have never read any speeches but need to start doing so. Therefore I was really pleased that the Publisher approved my request and downloaded it immediately.

This book caught my attention immediately so much so that I read the first 40% of it within 20 minutes of starting it. Mary's writing was almost lyrical in places and I was able to understand the messag
Rissie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Not much new here. A talk given at a graduation about how life is hard but we overcome, blah, blah, blah. I'm giving it three stars though because of this particularly interesting point that I will be thinking about for a while ...

"Every major religion tells you the solution to your fear is loving other people, and they're not wrong. But few religions talk about how truly nerve racking other people can be when they're sucking up your subway air or getting your job or stealing your boyfriend. Or
Abhijeet Jain
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Book on the commencement speech of Mary Karr. At the start , I didn't understand why this book is famous , it seemed quite ordinary until the point where Mary Karr started to tell about her life .

One of the best thing she said was about being "curious & compassionate" .

I knew Mary Karr as an English professor but I never knew what she had to go through in her life , thanks to this book !

It's a short novel , and one should definitely read it .

Happy Reading :)
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A charming little read that found me on a morning when I needed it most. I borrowed this from the library but will be buying it to flip through on days when I'm feeling down. Lovely and inspiring, not unlike Karr herself.
booksandcarbs
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It will take you ten minutes to read this book/graduation speech, and you'll put it down feeling inspired.
Y.S. Stephen
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like Pema Chodron, who told the graduating students of Naropa University in 2014 to get curious about their mistakes as mistakes can be a portal to creativity, so said Mary Karr in her 2015 commencement address to the graduating students of Syracuse University.

Mary Karr, the author of three award-winning, bestselling memoirs and the Peck Professor of Literature at Syracuse Univeristy, exhorts the graduating students to banish any fear of misfortune and face their lives with optimism. Like any go
Dorothy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Speaking to the University of Syracuse graduating class in 2015, Mary Karr is thrilled to be receiving an honorary PhD. she speaks eloquently of fear. Getting what you want often scares you more than not getting it.
As a young graduate student, I worried like hell that I looked like a bimbo; now I am an old maid schoolteacher, I worry that I dont.
My point being that almost everytime I was super-afraid, it was of the wrong thing.
Karrś humor and ability to look at herself and her life and provide m
Chris Labib
I think I figured out why I enjoy these commencement addresses so much (who has four more checked out to read during her lunch breaks? This chick right here. They're addicting): these published commencement addresses have the same energy as a college city, that same - I won't say "potential" or "wisdom" because that's cheesy. But then again, these commencement addresses are cheesy, so why not - potential and wisdom.

NOTE TO THE ALT-LEFT: Karr presented a constructive mentality for dealing with t
Brenda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this little volume after reading some of Mary Karr's poetry, and wanting to read other things by her. I did listen to some of this commencement address online, but found the book much more precise and impactful......the formatting, with Gregg Kulick's artwork, is great. Overall, her musings on what college graduates might have ahead of them, and how to approach life in all its scariness, really apply to all of us.
My favorite quote (and there are lots of great ones!): "far as I can tell,
Amanda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
This seems to be one of a whole new genre being published -- the essay/graduation speech. So, essentially, an essay about what to expect from life now that you are an adult, invested with the best our society has to offer. And, as always, Mary Karr has an honest and truthful reminder to be human and to be grateful for what you've gotten, but to also search out more. As always, she writes well and manages to connect the mundane and flawed to the infinite and ideal. A good quick read if you like t ...more
Michele
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading Mary Karr is never a waste of time. Her work is always funny, wise and insightful. But, shelling out ten bucks for an abridged version of a commencement speech she gave at Syracuse University may feel like a waste of money to the frugal (cheap) amongst us. Having said that, this is definitely a worthwhile (and quick) read. Maybe buy a copy and then re-gift it. It would make a great graduation gift.
Lauren
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like beginning my year with a bit of inspiration, and Ms. Karr delivers in spades in this print edition of a 2015 commencement address. It reminded me a bit of Pema Chodron’s Fail, Fail Again, Fail Better, and I mean that in the best way possible. But Now Go Out There is a book that only Ms. Karr could have written, and in talking about her own life she creates universal lessons for everyone. Highly recommended.
Jerry Wall
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Gems in sentence form.
. . . poetry has to disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed. early
. . . a dysfunctional family is any family with more than one person in it. 5 eights thru
When I was young and troubled, I thought feeling better would only happen when I found enough people to love me. But it turns out finding people to love and do for is way more healing. middle
Jason
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a transcript of a graduation speech that Karr gave to Syracuse University when she got an honorary PhD. It is full of the same confessionalism and wisdom that makes her memoirs so powerful. I had Yo Yo Ma at my graduation. I honestly don't remember a word he said, but he played some cello, and that was awesome. I think this speech is better than cello though, even his.
Deke
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The only thing worth reading is the truth, and yet when it comes to a graduation speech empty aphorisms abound. This one is different - a different message, born of personal experience - that's worth the (very) quick read (if you can't find it online). Not what I would say... but I haven't had her life.
Leeann
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Really 2 1/2. Good advice and well said, and I think it’s words our world needs to hear more often. But it’s nothing groundbreaking. As the professor who gave it to me said, “I thought this was a great gift to give to my senior class, until I actually read it.”
Emily
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a college commencement speech so it isn't long and it didn't take much time to read. I can understand why it got so much attention and is hailed as a great commencement speech; accepting, understanding and growing from fear is a great lesson, for us all.
Kelley
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little book chock full of relative advice. It reminds us we are all human and dysfunctional. It's what we choose to do with our fears that matter. This mighty book gives us the push to go out into the world and make it a better place.
Mia Emslie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a commencement speech given in 2015 & read by the author. I loved hearing Mary's voice as I've read her memoirs.
Very, very good advice, & not just for new college graduates.
Would love to make my kids listen to this. Actually, all kids. Grown-ups too.
Michelle Leao
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It's a graduating speech that is a quick read. It's inspiring as it's supposed to be. Left me feeling positive after I was done.
Samantha
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
wasn't what I thought it was... a lot of just one page ready with a lot of just rambling in it
Brin
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a pick me up. Fear is currently kicking my ass but I'm going to go out there and get curious, even it kills me (which it won't but still).
  • Brazil (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Listful Thinking: Using Lists to Be More Productive, Successful and Less Stressed
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Of Mice and Magic: A History of American Animated Cartoons; Revised and Updated
  • Everything I Need to Know About Christmas I Learned From a Little Golden Book
  • Women Are Crazy, Men Are Stupid: The Simple Truth to a Complicated Relationship
  • Corn Flakes with John Lennon: And Other Tales from a Rock 'n' Roll Life
  • Where the Words End and My Body Begins
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • Heroes for My Daughter
  • Wild Things! Acts of Mischief in Children's Literature
  • What Works for Women at Work: Four Patterns Working Women Need to Know
  • Superman, Volume 5: Under Fire
  • Wealthing Like Rabbits: An Original and Occasionally Hilarious Introduction to the World of Personal Finance
  • The Knowing Book
  • Enough: Our Fight to Keep America Safe from Gun Violence
  • Green Lantern: Lights Out
  • Facebook Marketing for Dummies
Mary Karr is an American poet, essayist and memoirist. She rose to fame in 1995 with the publication of her bestselling memoir The Liars' Club. She is the Peck Professor of English Literature at Syracuse University.

Karr was born January 16, 1955, in Groves, a small town in East Texas located in the Port Arthur region, known for its oil refineries and chemical plants, to J. P. and Charlie Marie (Mo
“Being smart and rich are lucky, but being curious and compassionate will save your ass. Being curious and compassionate can take you out of your ego and edge your soul towards wonder.” 12 likes
“Bad things are gonna' happen to you, because they happen to us all. And worrying won't stave the really bad things off. Don't make the mistake of comparing your twisted-up insides to other people's blow-dried outsides. Even the most privileged person in this stadium suffers the torments of the damned just going about the business of being human.” 9 likes