Start by marking “Sir Kevin of Devon” as Want to Read:
Sir Kevin of Devon

Sir Kevin of Devon

The rhyming story of a young lad Kevin (not quite 11) who dreams of being a knight and his chase after a clanking dragon that terrorizes the land. Adelaide Holl was a famous childrens' author who wrote many books including "One Kitten For Kim", "The Runaway Giant", and "Moon Mouse". The illustrator, Leonard Weisgard (1916-2000), was an American writer and illustrator of mo ...more
Hardcover
Published by Lothrop, Lee and Shepard (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Kevin of Devon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Kevin of Devon

La Coccinelle
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This out-of-print book is sort of a gem. Its bouncy rhythm reminds me of Dr. Seuss, but without all the nonsensical words.

This is the story of Kevin (not quite eleven) who longs to be a knight. He gets his chance when a monster starts terrorizing the countryside and all the other knights chickens flee. But Kevin is brave, and so the king gets him all kitted out with a suit of armour and sends him out to battle the monster. Kevin soon learns, though, that the monster isn't quite what it seems.

The
Luisa Knight
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book has wonderful illustrations that feel delightfully timeless and expressive. With a story of virtue to match, your family will enjoy diverging from modern stories to read this enchanting tale.

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before readi
[Name Redacted]
From what I remember, it is a story about a child who decides to become a brave knight and tries to face a monster that is terrorizing his town. He fails and, having failed, decides to follow the monster on its path of destruction till it dies of exhaustion or some-such; he then takes credit for the death of the monster. The people believe him and he is hailed as a hero. I think the message is supposed to be that we must face our fears and be persistent, however all I kept thinking was "BUT ALL ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Nice illustrations, as expected from Weisgard. The text is OK, but any time you create a name solely for the purpose of rhyming it (Amos and famous), it brings things down.
Roger
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I especially loved the art, but the story was funny and also encourages children to be their bravest self and true to their own dream.
Patrick
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valerie Kyriosity
A discussion of dragons today brought this title to mind. A childhood favorite in my family. I think our copy has my oldest brother's name in it, and my mom currently has it at her house for the entertainment of a young cousin, but I aim to get it back in my possession at some point. I remember going through a phase when the pictures really frightened me, but I've gotten over that. ;-)

Here's a blog entry with a couple of the illustrations -- http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykid... -- and you ca
Amy
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My girls and I LOVE this one. Written in rhyming prose (though not obnoxious!! Very well written.) this book tells the story of a "young lad" who desires to be a knight. He shows courage, yet in the end does not battle the dragon in order to obtain greatness. He DID however, have a willing heart, was ready to fight, dreamed big, showed courage and did not give up -though his skills and means were inadequate to conquer the dragon.

"'Brave men,' thought the king, 'Are like gifts and surprises. They
Cindi
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The cadence of this book reminded us a little bit of "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" by Dr. Seuss. A great story about a boy who wants to be a knight. When the opportunity comes up for him to prove his bravery (never mind that he's not yet eleven), he goes to the king. He goes out on his quest and does not give up until he has slain the beast and is finally knighted having made his own dream come true.

(I'm sure this one is lead filled!)
dave
Loved the fun rhyming - great story of a child following his dreams to be rewarded.
Catherine
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Achildhood fav.
Kimberly
We found a used copy of this out-of-print book online. My kids love it, and I enjoy reading it to them.
kari
Mar 24, 2009
Karis
Feb 04, 2012
Ron Poage
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2014