Start by marking “Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)” as Want to Read:
Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)

Unicorn vs. Goblins

(Phoebe and Her Unicorn #3)

School’s out! That means no more teachers, no more books, and lots of time to compliment Marigold Heavenly Nostrils on her good looks. In this third volume, Phoebe and her obligational best friend, Marigold, learn that summer still has plenty of surprises. Have fun with Phoebe and Marigold as they continue the "Pheobegold Detective Agency", spend a week at Wolfgang Music C ...more
Published February 23rd 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Unicorn vs. Goblins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unicorn vs. Goblins

Lola
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-camps
I believe I've said this recently, but I think every kid should read this series. Although it looks ‘‘girly,’’ what I like about it most is its witty dialog and endearing characters.

The beautiful colours and adorable images sure don’t cause any problem either, but I certainly wouldn’t be reading this series for its graphics alone. It would be like reading a novel for the writing and not for anything else. There should be harmony between all the elements… and that’s what we have here!

This is the
Exina
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goblins kidnap Dakota (Blaart!), we meet Todd, the candy dragon (Rar!), and Marigold’s sister, Florence (Unicorn!), who is dating Lord Splendid Humility.
Phoebe is going to music camp, and makes a new friend, Sue, who is… well… kind of weird…
“I’m Sue! I play the clarinet.”
“Phoebe. I play the piano.”
“Oh, good! If you played the clarinet better than me, I might have had to kill you in a jealous rage!”
“COUNSELORRR!!!”
“I should warn you I’m sort of weird.”

And Marigold makes a new friend, too, Rin
Mitticus
3, 5 sparkling stars.

This book is listed for children between 9-12 y.o.

I didn't read the previous books, so I was a little lost at the beginning thinking the Unicorn! was some kind of imaginary friend. But it happens to be her best friend/companion. I'm sure you are wondering: a Unicorn! Well, like the NoticeMeNot (HP) and the Mist (Percy Jackson) , they have...tatatán... the 'Shield of Boringness'(view spoiler)

Those scary things like starting a new friendship, summer camp,
Schizanthus
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
image by Ivona Design
You know those days where you just want to comfort read? That was me today.

This is the third Phoebe and Her Unicorn book that has had me wondering why a random comic was placed in the middle of a storyline but because I was enjoying myself so much it didn’t really matter.

In this collection Phoebe goes to music camp where she meets her weird bunkmate, Sue, while Marigold meets the lake monster. Marigold gets a letter from her sister, who has a more ‘unfortunate’ middle name than Phoebe. Todd,
Hannah Greendale
"It's easy to compare Phoebe to Calvin and Marigold to Hobbes," says Cory Doctorow in the introduction to the third installment of Phoebe and Her Unicorn, "but Calvin was kind of a creep, especially to little girls. By contrast, Phoebe has a very well-adjusted relationship with the young dudes in her life - and still manages to be funny as heck when they come around."

On the contrary, Phoebe is nice to one boy because she has a crush on him. She's also rude as heck to a beautiful, popular girl i
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
This one wasn't my favorite of the series so far but I still had a great time. I can't wait to read this whole series. It's just freaking adorable.
Suzze Tiernan
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The cartoon about toes is hysterical. You'll have to read it.
Stephanie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Utterly adorable, full of snark and kindness, so, so funny, and my favorite volume of the series so far. On to Volume 4 ASAP!
Jim
A cute book. Cory Doctorow (in his intro) is right - this has an appeal to kids and adults.

But I may not have loved it as much as he did. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fun book, and full of laughs. But I guess I didn’t think the laughs and insights were consistent. Is it bad that I measure a book of humor by how much I laugh out loud? There are some pretty funny cartoons that are interspersed with some that aren’t so inspired. This might be more suited for spreading out and reading cartoon by cart
Rachel's Book Reviews
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016, wl-gn
Still a huge fan of this duo! (and also, Dana)

This one is definitely consistent with the others in the series. Full review soon. Yay unicorns!!
La Coccinelle
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, comic
This collection seemed to go faster than the previous two. I enjoyed it well enough, though.

In this installment, we see Phoebe go to music camp, we get to meet Marigold's sister, and Dakota has a run-in with some goblins at the local burger joint. I wasn't really a fan of the whole music-camp experience... or, rather, I wasn't a fan of Phoebe's bunkmate. She was supposed to be funny, but I don't find little psychopaths-in-the-making particularly funny. Meeting Marigold's sister, Florence Unfortu
britt_brooke
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
⭐⭐⭐ Phoebe and Marigold Heavenly Nostrils are up to their usual fun and light naughtiness. Lots of unicorn gazing, sparkles, and even some .... spiders? Really cute stuff. I’m having so much fun reading these with my niece. ...more
Tiffy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this graphic novel series. Can't wait to dig into the next one.
Mary Catelli
Ah, titles. The continuing adventures of Phoebe and Marigold Heavenly Nostrils, very few of which involve goblins.

Some do. Also Dakota, camp, bringing Marigold to show-and-tell and suffering the consequences, stealing coffee and its results, Marigold's sister Florence (when asked how she can have a sister when she has no parent, Marigold points out that Phoebe has no sister but still has parents), being accused of stealing a ball, and more, including a number of gag-a-day ones.
Melissa
Cory Doctorow said it best in the introduction: "It's easy to compare Phoebe to Calvin and Marigold to Hobbes...if Hobbes was a snarky unicorn and Calvin was an awesome little girl". And, if Hobbes could also talk to Calvin's parents and friends and teachers :-) Phoebe is an awesome, relate-able, modern 9-year-old, whose best friend happens to be a magical (and snarky!) unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils. Hilarity ensues as they go about their days together - and in this volume, we find Ph ...more
Prince William Public Library System
In this third volume, it’s summer break for Phoebe and her best friend, a unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils. Join them for summer adventures including a staring contest with goblins, music summer camp (and rooming with a girl who is pretty sure she has never killed anyone), trying coffee for the first time and so much more!

This book is filled with hilarity for kids and adults alike. It reads more like a continuous comic strip than a graphic novel and it’s not necessary to read the other v
MC Bonet
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first Phoebe and Marigold book I have read. There's something about it that doesn't allow me to fully like it. Marigold is so vain that it annoys me. However, this is a kids series, and I can see how some children would find Marigold charming. I like the use of vocabulary in this book. The author didn't dumb it down for the intended audience, though some scenarios I think are above some children.

Read it with your children. Talk to them about some of the scenes and encourage the use
amomentsilence
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

I thought this was an adorable read.

like so many other reviews here, I was a bit lost at first, seeing as this was my very first Phoebe and Unicorn book. However, I quickly figured out what was going on, and found the relatable (to a kid) content matter engaging, fun, and whimsical. I would definitely recommend this middle grade book to any kid who wanted a new book to read.
Stefanie Kellum
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Just when I thought this series couldn't possibly get any funnier, it goes and makes Trapper Keeper AND Backstreet Boys references!
Lea
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is shorter than volume 2 but just as entertaining. Many of the frames I had to read out loud to share the joy. I enjoy Phoebe and Marigold and their adventures. Good message and fun, realistic (sans unicorn) issues people have.
Violinknitter
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Confession: I totally pick up comic books when my Goodreads challenge shows me falling behind on my reading goal for the year. #SorryNotSorry

Also, this is a fun book, but maybe not as fun as the first. Though the music related comics are still hysterical.
Brindi Michele
read books 3-4

I can't stop...more books, please!!! I love this freaking unicorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 3 stars
Art: 4 stars

Another volume of compiled comic strips about the precocious little girl Phoebe and her magical bff, the unicorn named Marigold Heavenly Nostrils. The goblins enter very late in the book (starting on pg 143) and don't stay long (leaving on pg 153). Not as funny as previous compilations in this series.
Elke
A cute little collection of comic strips about a little girl and her friend, which happens to be a unicorn. It was fun to see them interact, but a lot of the stories felt repetitive, especially if you read this book in one session. As it was, the unicorn with its 'sparkling' personality started getting on my nerves eventually, but I guess most little girls will love it. However, I suggest to read just a snippet every now and then to keep the whole thing entertaining.

I especially liked the scenes
Holly Letson
Books from the Phoebe and Her Unicorn series are always fun to read. Nothing extra, just pure fluff, but fun as a time killer. Her Unicorn is really conceited, though. Thanks, NetGalley for providing me a review copy.
erin
"What're you, the recap fairy?"

I'm not gonna be because you should just dive in for yourself! There are so many gems of sharpness in these books - they are just such fun to read (even aloud - because that's how this is rolling with kiddo right now).
Kristen
I enjoyed this third collection of Phoebe and her Unicorn adventures. For my full thoughts, see my review at No Flying No Tights: http://noflyingnotights.com/2016/01/2....
Hebah
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Another fun installment. Torn between plowing through volume 4 and grabbing 5 off Netgalley, or trying to pace myself so I don't run out...
Jesse Baggs
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
A super-cute book that my daughter enjoyed, but the writing didn’t quite do it for me. “Unicorn vs. Goblins” is a collection of newspaper strips, so there’s a beginning and end to each page’s strip. This would be fine if each strip stood alone and was really interesting or funny, but for the most part the ideas and jokes here are pretty mild. Complicating things further, there are a few longer storylines that take place over multiple pages. This isn’t anything the average comic strip reader won’ ...more
Lydia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Phoebe and Marigold are back with more adventures! Phoebe starts meeting Goblins in this one, and Dakota's magic hair starts having a life of it's own.

Phoebe and Marigold are so much fun! And I'm not even saying that because I'm an animal person (which, Marigold would probably take offense at being compared to anyway); they have such wonderful humor and lovely attitudes! So often best friends are shown as being abusive to each other (mostly verbally) and these two don't do that. They speak trut

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: separate listings 2 190 Feb 16, 2017 03:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #187 Unicorns vs. Goblins by Dana Simpson 1 1 Dec 30, 2015 03:08PM

• Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt (A Narwhal and Jelly, #2)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess
  • Secret of the Time Tablets (Cleopatra in Space, #3)
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • How Mirka Caught a Fish
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • Star Scouts
  • Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Of Mice and Magic (Hamster Princess, #2)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Bolivar
  • Big Birthday Bash (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #2)
Dana Claire Simpson grew up in Gig Harbor, Washington, drawing the entire time. She eventually graduated from The Evergreen State College, despite having spent all her time drawing, and not always for credit.

Attempts at doing real work along the way are hardly worth mentioning; the relevant fact is that, from 1998 to 2008, she drew the internet comic strip Ozy and Millie. After winning the Amazon-

Phoebe and Her Unicorn (10 books)
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #1)
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #2)
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn in the Magic Storm (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #6)
  • Unicorn of Many Hats (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #7)
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn in Unicorn Theater (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #8)
  • Unicorn Bowling (Phoebe and Her Unicorn #9)
  • The Unicorn Whisperer (Phoebe and Her Unicorn Series Book 10)