Start by marking “ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD” as Want to Read:
ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD

ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD

ELEKTROGRAD is the city of the future. Since the early 20th Century, it has been used as a testbed for futuristic modes of living. Each of its seven districts is an experimental site for new forms of architecture.

It is now the early 21st Century. Elektrograd is showing its age.

Mekanoplatz is the northernmost district of Elektrograd. And, on the dist
Published August 16th 2015 by SUMMON Books (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about ELEKTROGRAD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ELEKTROGRAD

Start your review of ELEKTROGRAD: RUSTED BLOOD
ricardo is reading
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

Alia Noton in Elektrograd: Rusted Blood

The future is coming, and we’re going to win.

– Warren Ellis, Orbital Operations

Morning comes and the building blocks rise up on their groaning, rusted mechanical legs. Shaking the snow off its shoulder, the city walks off into a brand new day.

Towering green flailing devices, intended to quite literally fling crafts into orbital space shoot out of the ground like the tentacles of

/>–/>The/>

Alex
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
A swing and a miss by Ellis on this one, I felt. Too much of the imagery was all surface and no substance, trying a bit too hard to come off as cool. Much was left too-unexplored (e.g. flingers? Why even put these in the story? Nothing was added by their inclusion in the manner presented.) I know Ellis can write this kind of stuff well, whether in comic or prose format, and stuff like Gun Machine is the proof, but this just didn't do it for me.

That said, I definitely like this develo
Jules Galette
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I really felt about this as a detective story - it's one of the ones that gives you a chance to figure it out before the charcters, which I've always enjoyed (something the hard-boiled ones like Gun Machine can't really give you), but it all kind of just comes and goes.

The real triumph here is The City we're presented with, Elektrograd. It's supposed to be the city of the future, at least it was when it was built. Now time has passed it by and parts of it are rotted
John Defrog
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short fiction from Warren Ellis set in the imaginary city of Elektrograd, whose seven districts experiment in new forms of futuristic architecture. That’s the backdrop for a murder mystery in the decaying district of Mekanoplatz, where buildings can walk around and homeless people live in abandoned construction robot shells. Like the best of Ellis’ work, there’s a good balance here between futuristic ideas, storyline and vivid characters you get to know mainly through dialogue – although arguabl ...more
Downward
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
this is the first in a proposed cycle of stories of the fictional town of elektrograd. ellis merges all his interests here, architecture, science fiction, and crime and makes a sort of columbo-ish story about big walking robotic city blocks, a 1930s german expressionism style robot madman and a murder. it's quick and fun and perfectly fine at three stars.
Bill Childers
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More interesting ideas from Warren Ellis

I've really enjoyed most of Warren's work, and when he announced this short for sale on his weekly newsletter I snapped it up. It's a great start to what may be an interesting exploration into yet another world that might have been.
Sara Habein
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty great Kindle Single short story, though a bit overwritten in some places. We get it; you have a large vocabulary. Still, an interesting sci-fi crime story in a setting I hope Warren Ellis revisits.
Miloš Petrik
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
This goes beyond a hard-boiled detective story and some way into the province of a pressure-cooked one, albeit cliché and unremarkable. The setting is compelling, though, and lamentable is the fact that it is only available as a short story adapted from a graphic novel script.
Norman Isley
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellis says he likes writing mysteries. It shows. This isn't one of the really weird ones and could have been done as an episode of the Outer Limits.
Kirby
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Good not great

Love the idea for the city. Hate the plot. Mystery crimes are not my cup of tea. The sci fi angle is very cool, though.
Fil Garrison
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Warren Ellis Fans, Mystery Science Fiction Fans

The newest non-comics work I've read from my favorite author Warren Ellis. As always, his tales seem tailor-made to cater to my exact loves. This one revolves around architecture and crime fiction, with a great noir core in a broken down rusty city of the future.

Like all of Ellis' works, this is something of a pastiche of all of his interests, architecture, retro-futurism, crime, possible futures, and the
Bill Williams
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elektrograd: Rusted Blood is a dystopian near-future steampunk detective story with a team of investigators looking into the untimely passing of a customer, police slang for corpse, in an abandoned industrial area. The rusting district of Mekanoplatz exists in a future that has little use for man. This part of an experimental city has walking tenement buildings, hidden labs and enhanced ammunition.

The Eastern-Europe-in-Decline environmental material is entertaining stuff, however the plot is by
Booth Babcock
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Really more of a novella, or even a longish short story, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Ellis has started a high concept project set in a fictional future-ish city where each neighborhood is a completely different idea for a short story. In this case, a kind of detective noir set in a neighborhood abandoned by most humans, but still populated by robots. Not sure if he ever came back to the idea.
Robert
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely, gritty, architectural robopunk noir set in a district of a city where buildings get up and walk to new locations, where nameless workers scurry hither and yon, and where a trio of police officers attempt to solve both a murder and a historical robotic mystery.

Ellis has said that the district Elektrograd is one of seven in the city, and that he had thought to do a story for each in a collected book. I certainly hope he does.
Paul
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of its genre I've read - a novella, naturally. Kept going at a fast clip. Some neat dialogue, but was mostly kept entertained by the descriptions of the dystopic universe in which it was set. Especially the architecture/cityscapes. Really liked the attention to detail too (mobils and telefons, etc). Will seek out more from Warren Ellis based on this. It's also whet my appetite for more dystopic fiction...
Atleb
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a slice

Sometimes a draft is all it takes. Part short story, part ruminations on a large canvas, Elektrograd is the second monthly short from Ellis. It brings to mind viriconum , whilst still being fully Ellis.

It might be interesting to read a full tale of Elektrograd at some point, but just letting the ideas simmer after a quick read works well. So have some cake.
Daniel
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Good short story with a vaguely-soviet retro-future feel. Closer to a police procedural than mystery, but a bit thin for either. I'd have liked to see it developed a bit more, but still, enjoyed it enough I'd like to see more of the setting and characters and will definitely check out any future Elektrograd stories if Ellis does write more.
Michelle Tackabery
Great little story

Ellis has really gotten scarily good at taking a few of his speculative concepts and smashing them into a conventional narrative so you can cruise right on in before you even realize you've made a left turn into the very bad consequences of progress. This story features an architectural concept known as the Walking City.
Christopher Tower
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this novella. But then I am biased. I like all Warren Ellis products. I am a devoted fan as you well know Mom and as do all readers of my blog since I mention him, Ellis, all the time.

For more, read: http://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2016/0...
Jonny Illuminati
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice little short story... Parts of it read more like a draft or rumminations, but it all fit nicely. A nice little dark and gritty mystery - Definitely worth the short amount of time it took to read.
Josh
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick little noir story, with an interesting setting and characters that feel surprisingly alive for how little time we get to spend with them. I certainly hope Ellis gets a chance to write the six other parts to the cycle. A slightly different feel than his comics work.
Jason Brezinski
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recently bought and read this. A tight, decaying future police proceedural. If you've read Ellis' work in the past, it's a mix of Ignition City and the Frank Ironwine issue of the Apparat singles. I liked it. ...more
Alek
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A nice little pearl. Reminds me of China Mieville's "Two cities" in the faux-Communist Bloc worldbuilding. WOuld enjoy immensely reading the whole seven-part series, which might end up as a XXI-century, architecture-inspired godchild of Calvino's Invisible Cities.
DEAN MCROBIE
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow, short, beautifully written, powerful

I was looking for a short read to while away a commute and have discovered a new writer! great ideas, pacing, characters, and story. I highly recommend taking an evening and reading this book.
Michael
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, 2015
I loved this. It's more a long short story than anything else, but the world that Ellis builds is fantastic - a run-down post-Soviet dieselpunk noir with strong nods to Archigram's Walking City.

I hope he returns here in the future.
Ryan Kennedy
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice bite-sized bit of pulp detective fiction with a heavy dose of 60s style sci-fi. Ellis' prose is as muscular and engaging as always. I'm definitely onboard for any more stories from the Elektrograd universe that he wants to give us.
Richard
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cool, little novella that leaves me wishing he'd write more stories about the other districts in Elektrograd. The plot itself seems a bit run of the mill, but it exciting nonetheless and the setting is king.
Evan Rail
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed this. My first Warren Ellis book, which sent me on to Gun Machine. Only wish it were longer.
Brian
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's incredible, the economy of this storytelling. It has just exactly what's needed to get in, tell a great story in a very memorable setting, and get out. I really hope Ellis writes the other six.
Dan
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
An odd but charming little euro-flavored retro-future story.

• Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Astro City, Vol. 6: The Dark Age, Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers
  • Dark Night: A True Batman Story
  • Doctor Who: Short Trips - Landbound
  • Star Trek: Discovery - Succession
  • A minha casa não tem dentro
  • Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor: The Time War Series 1
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • James Bond: Hammerhead
  • Hellblazer: The Fear Machine
  • Doctor Who: The First Doctor Adventures – Volume 1
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
“How are we supposed to live in the future when the future just abandons us to the night?” 4 likes
“Benighted infants,” Strauss laughed, gesturing at Goldmark to get the coffees. “I’d be amazed if anything in here grew on or near an animal. It’s all that printed meat, diddled with by needles.” 1 likes