Start by marking “The Dulwich Horror and Others” as Want to Read:
The Dulwich Horror and Others

The Dulwich Horror and Others

Inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos of H. P. Lovecraft, this stylish new collection of adventure stories fizzes with wit and invention. They can be enjoyed separately, but read them in one sitting and the pieces fit horribly together into a larger and more terrible nightmare.

These tales constitute David Hambling’s initial foray into the realm of Lovecraftian fiction. The fert
Published August 10th 2015 by PS Publishing Ltd (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Dulwich Horror and Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dulwich Horror and Others

Start your review of The Dulwich Horror and Others
C.T. Phipps
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cthulhu, horror
David Hambling is one of the great new voices in Neo-Lovecraft fiction like David J. West and Matthew Davenport. He may be the best, however, due to the fact he is capable of creating stories which genuinely terrify with alien horrors while maintaining the spark of humanity which renders his characters relatable. In this collection of short stories and novellas, he has a wonderful group of obsessive humans poking the Cthulhu Mythos with a stick.

In "The Dulwich Horror", we have an homage to the
Alex Sarll
Alarmingly, a pun made by at least two other writers. I can't speak for their work, but this collection makes a good fist of weaving Lovecraft's horrors around the streets, railways and strange old woods of south-east London. Sure, there are times where it runs a bit modern Mythos, characters talking a little too knowledgeably about the structure of the pantheon and the attributes of its entities when more oblique hints would feel more chilling. But simply through walking the same territory as t ...more
Philip Hemplow
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
TDH&O is the 3rd of David Hambling's books that I've read, and the 3rd that I've thoroughly enjoyed. If you're at all a fan of Lovecraftian fiction and you haven't tried him yet, you've been depriving yourself - and this collection of short stories might be the ideal place to start putting that right. STJ's foreword (which you can peek at via the 'look inside' thing above) probably does a better job than I can of placing this book in the context of the genre, so maybe have a look at that.

The col
Kris Lugosi
"Never summon that which you can not put down...."

Shadows from Norwood, is a collection of seven stories told in the Lovecraftian style. All stories are told with a strong Lovecraft voice with an original embellishment on most of the tales. David Hambling incorporates many of the classic Lovecraft themes, with a heavy emphasize on not losing the scientific side of his storytelling. The Cthulhu mythos that Hambling draws from is exquisite in its delivery and is a perfect homage to Lovecraft. H.P.
Andrew Lawrenson
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cthulhu-mythos
This is a collection of seven stories, some of which are interlinked, exploring different ideas and concepts from the Cthulhu Mythos.

The tales are mainly set in or linked to the area of Norwood in London, and when the stories are set in the 20s and 30s, the writing style manages to portray the mood of the era effectively.

I’ve read many mythos-related short stories over the years, and these are among the best of them. They evoke a lovecraftian spirit, but are more than just derivative pastiches,
Matthew
In "The Dulwich Horror and Others", Hambling has avoided the problems so many HP Lovecraft pastiche writers do and that accordingly make their works tedious reads. With a crisp, clear, but non-derivative voice, Hambling has done a magnificent job with taking HPL's ideas and working them into new situations and new locales. Simply put, if you as a reader enjoy the worlds that HPL devised, you owe it to yourself to read "The Dulwich Horror and Others".
Philip Hemplow
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The col
Cthulhuwho1
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Hambling's seven very Lovecraftian tales, in his Shadows from Norwood collection, mostly set in very appropriate, and perfectly Lovecraftian locations in England (such as Dulwich), are grand continuations to H. P. Lovecraft's original stories; and they do include Cthulhu Mythos elements that are beautifully handled.

I don't really want to give away the plots for each story, as the realization of their connections to Lovecraft's tales are just part of the fun.

Even the names of certain charac
Tyson Fultz
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection of short stories set in Norwood England in the 1920s (save for a couple set in modern times and Chicago)

All are written by the author, David Hambling, who borrows Lovecraft themes and archetype stories/monsters which makes it feel familiar but also adds enough twists in the stories to keep them interesting.

I would not be surprised if the author is a player of the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game since a lot of the stories and characters seem to unfold like a CoC scenario wou
Matthew Davenport
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David has the amazing ability of voice, and you can see that in this volume of his lovecraftian stories. As with original Lovecraft stories, I was drawn into the stories of David's collection and held rapt the entire time. Especially by "The Dulwich Horror of 1927." I'd also like to emphasize the amazing detail in these stories. Mr. Hambling can tell a detailed scene that pulls you into the story just as much as the plot or dialogue. Definitely, pick up a copy of Shadows From Norwood.
Susie Spizzirro
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorry for the delay. Life has dealt me a few misfortunes this last year, almost more than I could handle.
Mr.Hambling has a special gift for descriptive scenes. I enjoy all the stories. My favorite was number 7.
I highly recommend, Shadows from Norwood to all my Goodreads friends. I thank you for sharing your book with me. Ms. Susie
Mr. D.
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Quite the nice bunch of tales.
It succeds in the tricky business of writing lovecraftian pastiches without sounding too much indebted to the original article.
Yet it's more along the lines of a Call of Cthulhu campaing than the existential dread of Barron's best effort or Ligotti's desolation.
Most of the stories read extremely well and fast and Hambling, the good journalist he is, doesn't indulge in the purple prose so common for the genre, which is good; he unfortunately starts dropping names
tom gray
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a cut above the usual Lovecraft pastiche.

Truly a cut above the usual Lovecraft pastiche. (And f**k Amazon for forcing one to be unnecessarily verbose and leave 20-word reviews!)
Rob Preddy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this collection of stories. the Lovecraft elements were well written although the racial parts felt a bit contrived. However the 'thread' that links all the stories was well done and I liked the 'historical' aspects of London especially the Effra bits.
Jack Turner
rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2015
David Hambling
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Raven

• Southern Gods
  • Dinosaur Lake IV: Dinosaur Wars
  • Dinosaur Lake V: Survivors
  • Bad Juju
  • Short Things: Tales Inspired by "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr.
  • The Rat King: Encounters With The Cthulhu Mythos (The Other Book Two 1)
  • The Alien Gardener: Encounters With The Cthulhu Mythos (The Other Book Two 2)
  • The Roo
  • The Return of the Blob
  • Maldicion
  • Badwater: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • Parasite
  • Evil Unleashed: True Tales of Spells Gone to Hell and Other Occult Disasters
  • The Reality Contagion: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Wind Walker
  • SHOGGOTH 2: RISE OF THE ELDERS (The Mythos Project Book 3)